• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How is "school at home" going? Kids? Teachers?

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
DD is a 7th grader in a small private school. We were lucky as her school was already closed the last 2 weeks of March for spring break so they had the time to plan for this. This was our first week of what they call, distance learning. So far so good. She has a structured day from 9 to 2:30 that follows a similar schedule. It is a mix of live video instruction from teacher and on her own time with assigned work. Yesterday, she even had PE class which the gym teacher lead via video that was mostly aerobic activity.

So the education piece seems to be working. But, what I think is even more important is the continuation of the social connection she has with her classmates. She could come down and have lunch with me, but instead she brings it upstairs, they all get on a video group and have lunch together, same with snack time and recess. It is great to hear her chit chat and laugh with her friends.

So many schools were just thrown into this with little time to prepare. I have friends that are teachers. Some are working their butt off trying to meet the demands of their school system has put in place and others are doing the minimum required because their systems have no structure and they feel it really isn't working anyway.

At this point, I don't really see schools reopening this year. I wonder if there will be school requirements over the summer.....

Last edited:

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I feel bad for families, especially if parents are working and now also have to monitor education. Children definitely need some structure. There are too many families without electronic devices or wifi too, so that creates a whole other issue. Special ed kids are vulnerable. And there will be a certain number of parents who just don't care or don't have the ability to teach. If they didn't already have good discipline standards in place, how is more stress going to affect their children? The delivery of education is certainly going to change after this, as well as healthcare.

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
I want to address these points:
....So many schools were just thrown into this with little time to prepare.

These comments are made in general @mdurette so please understand this is not an attempt to throw you (or your teacher friends) under the bus personally...

Now then.

Schools have had ample opportunity to prepare for this and have failed. I say this because distance learning has been around for quite some time and many (but not all) school districts still have not invested the resources required to make it feasibly meaningful to the educational process. Why is this?
In some cases, school districts are far too encumbered by required spending in areas that benefit only a handful of students and ignore the needs of the overwhelming majority of students. I hate to bring up the money point here, but it does contribute to the problem.

But the larger issue is the educational sector is starving for staff with even a minimum level of technical knowledge. Far too many teachers are still adverse to technology because they do not posses a minimum level of technical knowledge to function in an educational system that should be moving more toward online options. Some people will say this problem will correct itself as the older teachers leave the teaching ranks. However, this observation also applies to younger teachers as well because teaching has become the default (fall back) profession for too many people who could not make the grade in other professions. In other words, the student who enters college wanting to be an engineer one day discovers calculus is a LOT harder than they thought and switches majors. Business sounds good because the math is easier. The student goes along for another semester or two and discovers the mysteries of economics baffle the mind so they switch majors again. Students like this eventually turn toward an education degree because they find the academic demands of an education degree are minuscule when compared to other academic pursuits.

Some are working their butt off trying to meet the demands of their school system has put in place and others are doing the minimum required because their systems have no structure and they feel it really isn't working anyway.

My experience supports this observation. During this time away from school, I would say about 30-40% of the teaching staff are making a decent effort with respect to distance learning. The rest are making little or no effort or are riding on the coattails of those making an effort.

The problem with this reality is the educational system will NOT recognize those people who contribute individually and reward them. The world of elementary and secondary education does NOT adequately recognize and reward individual contributions like the private sector does. That must change if we are to see meaningful improvement in our educational systems.

This is where school board and administrations continue to fail in their responsibility to increase the educational rigor in their respective districts.

At this point, I don't really see schools reopening this year. I wonder if there will be school requirements over the summer.....

I hope schools close for the remainder of this school year and take measures to start the 2020-2021 SY on schedule (if the medical concerns are addressed). This year is shot as the announced cancellation of required EOY testing means students have pretty much tuned out as they usually do AFTER EOY testing is given. Which brings up two other points...

EOY testing is NOT given at the end of the year - rather (in some cases) 6-8 BEFORE the EOY. This should have been addressed years ago as computer based testing become the norm and move the EOY testing to the last 2-3 weeks of school.

If we (as a society) are ever going to move off the agrarian influenced school calendar, NOW is the time to do exactly that.

missyrcrews

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cold Spring Resort, Acadia Village Resort, Samoset Resort
I am an ed tech, working with 8th graders who have special needs. However one feels about technology and learning...there is NO substitute for being right there with a child who has special needs. I'm using zoom, email, phone calls, google meets, paper worksheets that I mail...anything and everything. And I still wish I could just take my white board and go be outside their window. I think we'd get more done. It is EXHAUSTING in a whole different way, but I'm giving it everything I have. I'm working crazy hours, because the kids that I serve aren't necessarily up and moving at 8am. So I might be doing things with them after I get home from Target....you get the picture!

And to the previous poster...it's too early in the day for my blood to boil...so I'm going to ignore you and go on about my day. :) I am doing what I'm doing because I am called to do it. It is where I belong. I stand in the gap between students and teachers. I am not doing this because I am *less than* in any way, or because I couldn't make the grade. It's a choice, and I love it. Period.

I, too, think we'll be out for the rest of the year. I serve an area that has loads of low-income kids. They don't have internet access, or the connections aren't great. They depend on school for socialization and food. The emotional and mental fallout from this is going to be huge, and we will need to start off next year (or whenever we go back!) addressing the tolls. School closure was needed, for sure, but I think there's more at stake than we initially realized.

Last edited:

needvaca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MGO, WKV, SVV Bella
Bbodb1- where on earth are you coming up with your comments? They seem way off base to me, at least in my region. The teachers I know, both in my kids’ schools and my friends, all work extremely hard and after hours, and it’s not about the pay for them, because if it was, they’d leave in a heartbeat.

The teachers in my district are handling it fairly well, better than I would I think, and they all seem technically proficient. My 10 yo had her first Zoom meeting the same day I had my first zoom meeting for work.

I have 4 school age kids, all doing elearning , and I’m working from home and am very busy with that. Luckily my husband is on a work break and is handling the kids. Man, it is crazy busy in my house now. He laid in bed all morning today, just to unwind. Kids are doing great and taking it seriously, and luckily we have a big backyard for “recess” time, because 4 kids staying inside all day would be horrible

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
I will add more details here in a bit but I too work in the educational sector. Read my post again - I am saying the system as a whole was and is woefully underprepared for what is taking place now.

Are some teachers making herculean efforts at present - yes, definitely.
But far too many teachers lack the technical skills required to function in the classroom on a daily basis. They are even further behind as we turn to distance based learning.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
I will add more details here in a bit but I too work in the educational sector. Read my post again - I am saying the system as a whole was and is woefully underprepared for what is taking place now.

Are some teachers making herculean efforts at present - yes, definitely.
But far too many teachers lack the technical skills required to function in the classroom on a daily basis. They are even further behind as we turn to distance based learning.

What sector wasn’t woefully underprepared? So you are saying that all teachers must have prepared for online learning in case we have a situation where we move to online learning to to some unforeseen natural disaster? Understood.

While I understand what you are saying teachers not being technologically proficient enough for online learning is an issue, you should probably not say that most teachers are people that couldn’t cut it in a different profession. It’s offensive and very disrespectful. If you want respectful discussion, you start by being respectful. I don’t think you were trying to offend, but you were so toward many educators and their families. I really hope you don’t show that attitude when you deal with educators in your professional life.

Sure, there are educators who aren’t good as good as they should be. There are doctors, lawyers, tax accountants, graphic designers, reps from the educational sector that are not good at what they do either. Here’s a hint. You want better people teaching? Show the profession more respect. In 2018, The University of Toledo graduated 18 teachers. That’s k-12 all subjects. Michigan State University had 2 science teachers apply for student teaching. That’s 2 out of ~30,000 students. There are districts in rural Michigan that have had emergency substitutes in science for over 2 years. They can’t find anybody to teach those classes and when they do, they are hired out from underneath them by districts that have more money.

While I think online education should be offered (and in many districts it is), nothing beats face to face teaching. Being able to perform hands on learning, using phenomena to start the topic (videos that are teacher created are nice, but lose the luster and wow factor of watching it in real time), developing the course of action and then have small group and whole class discussions are vital in science. I have been using Zoom to teach my classes, showing them in person the results, using the chat for them to give answers and calling on them to respond. Here’s the thing, I’m in a fairly affluent community where my students have the means to. In a places like Detroit, Flint or other poverty stricken places, they don’t. Many school districts don’t even have money for school supplies or curriculum. How are they going to support technology in every classroom or even building.

I understand you think quality educators need to be able to teach using technology. While it can be very helpful, technology isn’t the answer to everything. A quality teacher knows their subject matter, able to effectively deliver the content and makes connections with their students. That’s first and foremost. Delivering quality education isn’t dependent on it being completely infused with technology. Can it help? Absolutely! Is it right for every situation and student? Nope. An experienced, effective educator knows when technology is right and when it isn’t.

Last edited:

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
In our school district we already had an active system in place so moving to homeschool was not a difficult transition at least for the middle and high school. All middle and high schoolers have a school issued laptop. All teachers use google classroom. Most assignments are put in google classroom and a lot of work is turned in google classroom. Teachers also put their PowerPoint presentations and other relevant materials. And now they using Zoom. I they’re doing a really good job given the circumstance.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
In Salem Oregon the School District is issuing Chrome Books to every student. A different issue is if the students have adequate WIFI at home.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
In Salem Oregon the School District is issuing Chrome Books to every student. A different issue is if the students have adequate WIFI at home.

A good number of districts are doing this from what I can read. Some districts are also trying to set up short term use hotspots around the community. It does (once again) give attention to the subject of internet access (which, while related to this, is likely worthy of a discussion on its own...).

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
In our school district we already had an active system in place so moving to homeschool was not a difficult transition at least for the middle and high school. All middle and high schoolers have a school issued laptop. All teachers use google classroom. Most assignments are put in google classroom and a lot of work is turned in google classroom. Teachers also put their PowerPoint presentations and other relevant materials. And now they using Zoom. I they’re doing a really good job given the circumstance.

While it is encouraging to hear of districts that have embraced tools like Google Classroom, what is often overlooked is the content they are placing in those Google Classrooms. In too many instances, a teacher takes their lesson or lecture notes, enters the into PowerPoint (or Slides, or any other online tool) and considers this a successful implementation of technology in the classroom.

Our schools are failing to modernize their content and the methods of delivery of that content. In other words, that old worn out lesson that has been delivered the same way for years is being presented on PowerPoint (or something equivalent). We have more content, better models, better conceptual tools available today than ever before, yet our districts all too often fail to consider what is being presented while they worry about how it is being presented.

This is where the embracing of technology misses its potential because too many districts and teachers believe the presence of technology in the classroom is a measure of progress.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
What sector wasn’t woefully underprepared? So you are saying that all teachers must have prepared for online learning in case we have a situation where we move to online learning to to some unforeseen natural disaster? Understood.

Just to be clear on this point, my position was (and is) education should have already embraced a move (or been much farther along) toward online based education many years ago. Online resources have been increasingly available over the last decade but many school districts lack coherent and imaginative policies and procedures on how to use technology resources in the classroom. Teachers are left on their own in too many cases.

Forward thinking districts are making technology support a higher priority these days. And while late is better than never, that is a move that should have occurred a decade ago.

In other words, education should already have been embracing online education on a much wider basis long before the COVID 19 crisis started.

I'll address your other points here in a bit...

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
When last updated on 2/6/2020, 94,000 people in Oregon don't have any wired internet providers available where they live. What do we do those students?

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
When last updated on 2/6/2020, 94,000 people in Oregon don't have any wired internet providers available where they live. What do we do those students?
The easy retort (of course) is satellite based internet service - but in many instances, the cost of such a service is prohibitive (at best). We have similar issues here in Arkansas.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I tried homeschooling, but after lunch the kids were found in the backyard smoking weed, with their teacher, and their weed was better then mine.

Just kidding, my kids are grown, I was in the backyard alone.
Well, you are in Colorado....... :cool:

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
"School at home" has one very important problem to be successful. Just not enough viable internet access or access at all. Add stay at home to that problem.

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
The easy retort (of course) is satellite based internet service - but in many instances, the cost of such a service is prohibitive (at best). We have similar issues here in Arkansas.
Not to mention reliability which sucks at best. ;)

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
@dayooper - I understand the points you were making earlier and I will come back to some of your other points later. The rain has finally stopped outside and I have some outside chores to attend to....

More to follow.

Miss Marty

TUG Member
Reaction score
Before the Internet and YouTube

Not to long ago, colleges in our area would broadcast classes on cable television. You were also able to record them and watch whenever you wanted to. The college continues to show local events, updates and graduations exercises.

Hopefully, regular television stations will broadcast educational programs for families who do not have access to the internet.

travelhacker

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Our oldest is in Kindergarten. I certainly applaud the school's efforts to get up and running in just one week (the only week off was our planned spring break), but I think there is WAY too much work. She's in half day Kindergarten, and she has to do about 40-60 minutes of learning apps on an iPad, and then she has typically 7-9 pages of homework (math pages, tracking weather, writing assignments, etc). It takes about 4 hours to get through all the assignments, which is about an hour longer than she would be in school for.

It's been hard.

Miss Marty

TUG Member
Reaction score
Our oldest is in Kindergarten. I certainly applaud the school's efforts to get up and running in just one week (the only week off was our planned spring break), but I think there is WAY too much work. She's in half day Kindergarten, and she has to do about 40-60 minutes of learning apps on an iPad, and then she has typically 7-9 pages of homework (math pages, tracking weather, writing assignments, etc). It takes about 4 hours to get through all the assignments, which is about an hour longer than she would be in school for.

It's been hard.

Thats way too much for a little one!
Plus not everyone owns an ipad or computer

Last edited:

Miss Marty

TUG Member
Reaction score
EDUCATORS

JOIN as an Aerospace Education Member (AEM)

Civil Air Patrol (CAP). Aerospace Education

AEM is a special membership category open to educators or any reputable individual or organization that has a desire to promote the aerospace objectives and purpose of CAP, but who have limited membership privileges.

(See CAPR 39-2, Civil Air Patrol Membership, for more information.)

Last edited:

Miss Marty

TUG Member
Reaction score
Teachers

Colonial Williamsburg’s Teacher Community has combined with the HERO media library to help you teach American history with video, classroom lessons and interactive web activities and includes great features like search and browsing by era, theme, and subject.

If you do not wish to create a free account, you may use our temporary account for immediate access to all sections of the Resource Library including the Teacher Institute materials:

Username: CWedresources
Password: resources4teachers

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I am impressed that schools have been able to go online as quickly as they have. I praise the schools for how much they have been able to achieve in such a short time.