• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 26 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $14,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $14 Million dollars
  • Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
  • Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How happy are you with your HGVC ownership?

How happy are you with your HGVC ownership?

• I'm very happy with my HGVC ownership.

Votes: 69 43.1%
  • I'm happy, even though there are occasional problems (e.g., trying to reserve the week I want).

Votes: 45 28.1%
  • I'm neutral.

Votes: 12 7.5%
  • I'm a bit unhappy with my ownership, but have no current plans to dispose of my HGVC ownership.

Votes: 14 8.8%
  • I'm unhappy, want to sell and would not buy another HGVC ownership.

Votes: 20 12.5%

• Total voters

Maverick1963

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Flamingo
It's not perfect. But very happy. With HGVC, we could afford roomy one/two bedroom units for our family vacation in Hawaii every year. Without HGVC, I could not go on solo vacations in Hawaii like I do now. Reservation is not easy but I don't give a complaint because $1,200 MF allows me to stay in Waikiki for a week. Fortunately, I booked 100% the week/unit I wanted over the past +10 years.

LizC

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Residence, NYC
I’m thinking of buying set weeks of an HGVC owner and Wondering if the set weeks are all you can use or can you change to other weeks. Additionally can these weeks he used at other resorts just like points

phil1ben

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think the outcome would be different if you had two polls. One for people who only paid retail and one for people who only own HGVC that they bought resale. Respondents that own retail and resale would only complicate the results. My suspicion is you will have much more satisfied campers coming form the resale camp.

We own 7000 points in South Beach that we bought resale in 2010. Paid about $1.00/point. We live 2 hours from NYC so we normally split the points each year between club days at 57th Street, The Residences and South Beach. Although, we have gone to Borgo alle Vigne, Valdoro and are headed to Scotland in a few months. We use the timeshare for about 20% of our annual vacation days and it is a great mix with the other vacations we take. As a result, I am happy with our purchase. If I had to do it over again, I probably would have bought 7000 points resale from a location with lower annual maintenance fees because we have rarely used the Home Week at South Beach (normally staying 3-4 days there). Probably would have saved about $350.00/year in maintenance fees. At the time, I thought my purchase was "safest" owning in a location where I knew that the underlying real estate would always have value. This was more a factor of my distrust of the entire timeshare industry but I felt I really couldn't go wrong for $7,000.00. One time share is sufficient for us but buying HGVC resale for us was a good decision.

Lastly, I continued to be surprised how many people do research 2-3 weeks after they purchase.

Talent312

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I continued to be surprised how many people do research 2-3 weeks after they purchase.
Instant gratification... and they sell it like it's an "orgasmatron."
-- From Woody Allen's movie "Sleeper" (1973).

Last edited:

brial05

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are happy ... we've not yet used to fullest potential.

We paid off our contract, direct to Hilton no less and are still pleased and would never sell.
I hope to add another unit from resale market.

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
Would be interesting to see of all the "happy" votes, how many of those purchased secondary market.
We purchased 6 HGVC timeshares from the resale market and are very happy with out membership. I believe if we purchased from the developer we would still be happy with our membership but would have about $200,000 less in our bank account. We probably wouldn't have purchased 6 HGVC timeshares from the developer since the cost would have been prohibitive in our retired economic situation. If we had significantly more income we might have purchased those timeshares or more since the system is pretty flexible. However, very high income people don't need timeshares they just buy second and third homes.

WhatTheDogSaid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Boulevard Las Vegas
Greetings from the Anantara resort in Koh Samui, Thailand. I am glad we got to visit here and also the Anantara in Phuket last year. If Elara is comparable to a full service Hilton, then either of these resorts is the Conrad or the Waldorf Astoria. Truly first class. I’m definitely less happy with HGVC now that the Anantara option has ended, but will try Scotland, Japan and Mexico.