• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How do you value your points?

michaelvmata

Reaction score
Assume you completely write off the purchase price. If the recurring anual maintenance fee comes out to $1 for every 3 points, is it even worth it?

Converting to HHonors points seems like a waste. $1 buys you 3 HGVC points, which converts 75 HHonor points. $150 rooms can go for 30,000 and $260 rooms can go for 40,000. That means it takes between 150 - 200 HHonor points to get $1 in value. To simplify, if you spend $2 to buy a HGVC point, you can $1 of purchasing power by converting to HHonors.

RCI is harder to gauge, mostly because it seems like a lottery. You need to case a wide net and be flexible with what you catch. I have no idea how to value this method.

Hilton resorts are also hard to gauge. A 4100 point pool can get 4 nights, which comes out to roughly $340 a night. If $340 is out of my price range (regardless of how nice the resort might be), then an obligation to purchase 4 nights at that rate definitely doesn't seem like a value.

Is there something I'm missing here? What financial value does owning HGVC bring?

glwrenton

TUG Member
Reaction score
A valid question.

Your figures seem to be based upon the purchase of a very low point value, with a very high MF. I tend to agree, these lower point accounts have little value. They are just a foot in the door for last minute cash purchases. Perhaps that is why they are essentially given away in resale.

Higher point values have lower per point MF costs. (see the recent posts describing MFs)

A 7,000 point balance with a 1350 MF (you may be able to get lower) gets you a unit for a week at under $200 per night in prime season, less other times.

You must also place a value on what you are getting. These are not Hotel rooms. The 2 BR unit is essentially a small apartment, complete with kitchen. I hate hotel rooms. Too small and dark.

IMHO, the other perks are nice to have available, but join only if you are primarily going to be using your points within the Hilton system.

Last edited:

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Converting to HHonors points seems like a waste.

As I like to point out, if you convert the points that it would take for 3-4 nights in a HGVC-studio to HHonors, you might get 1-N in a Hampton Inn. Its as clear as day.

As for the value of the points themselves, IMHO, its not so much about $$-value alone, as it is about the intangibles. With HGVC, you're getting a higher quality product, a system that's more consumer-friendly than many, and the flexibility to use the product in ways that fits your travel requirements. I don't want to sound like a shill -- there are plenty of valid 'plaints about fees -- but anywhere you go, its not just about the numbers.

slum808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hilton resorts are also hard to gauge. A 4100 point pool can get 4 nights, which comes out to roughly $340 a night. If $340 is out of my price range (regardless of how nice the resort might be), then an obligation to purchase 4 nights at that rate definitely doesn't seem like a value.

Is there something I'm missing here? What financial value does owning HGVC bring?

If $340 a night is out of your price range, have you considered another system? Hilton/Marriott/Starwood are all in the luxury category and thus command $$$. What are you looking for in a time share? There are lots of other brands out there that may fit into your cost and other needs. Let us know what you're looking for and we may be able to offer an alternative.

michaelvmata

Reaction score
Sadly, it's too late. I agreed to buy a HGVC membership while I was on vacation staying at a Hilton hotel, and only worked through the point valuation numbers afterwards.

I came away thinking I had a week long vacation worth of points with the flexibility of using in a variety of ways. Unfortunately, it seems I had the same flexibility using cash and it would have been a whole lot more affordable.

slum808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Dont feel bad, most TS are sold because of slick sales man and emotion. When did you make your purchase? If its inside of 30 days you might still be able to recind. If its been longer, post some details like how many points, eoy or annual, and how you like to vacation. If your stuck with it, you might as well get to know how to use it. Are there HGVC resorts near your home you could use on short notice? Are travel dates open or are you restriced to only certain months? All of this info would help the many here craft a useage plan for you.

BTW Welcome to TUG!

pianodinosaur

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC SeaWorld x 2, HGVC Las Vegas Strip x 2, MVC Mountain Valley Lodge, MVC Legend’s Edge
I agree with Talent 312.

In my opinion points are worthless if you do not use them. If you use your points wisely, you will have some great vacations. We have enjoyed the flexibility of the HGVC system.

michaelvmata

Reaction score
Dont feel bad, most TS are sold because of slick sales man and emotion. When did you make your purchase? If its inside of 30 days you might still be able to recind. If its been longer, post some details like how many points, eoy or annual, and how you like to vacation. If your stuck with it, you might as well get to know how to use it. Are there HGVC resorts near your home you could use on short notice? Are travel dates open or are you restriced to only certain months? All of this info would help the many here craft a useage plan for you.

BTW Welcome to TUG!

Thanks! Part of me agrees with you. I poured over the manual and and tried to research my options, which is what led me to TUG and this post. But it doesn't seem like I could forge a vacation with what I own.

If you could give me some pointers, I'd appreciate it.

I have 4100 points EOY and generally I'm very open with vacations, but I'd like to take a full week if possible. There are no resorts near my home. Travel dates are open.

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
RCI is harder to gauge, mostly because it seems like a lottery. You need to case a wide net and be flexible with what you catch. I have no idea how to value this method.

Hilton resorts are also hard to gauge. A 4100 point pool can get 4 nights...

You have 4100 points. Via RCI 3400 points will get you a 1 bedroom for 7 nights. I've used RCI to visit Maui, Kauai, The Big island, New York...you will have to pay an RCI exchange fee of $189(?). Just call HGVC and put in an RCI search request for the places you would like to go and the time period. Know that it works best to plan far ahead.

For Hilton resorts I think you are referring to resorts which require higher points. 3400 points will get you 7 nights in a 1 bedroom during gold season. You sound like you have flexibility. You'll be able to get some very nice week long vacations.

slum808

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have 4100 points EOY and generally I'm very open with vacations, but I'd like to take a full week if possible. There are no resorts near my home. Travel dates are open.

With the points you have, that will get you a week in your designated unit/season EOY. That's a no brainer. If you need to step up in season or room size, you could look at booking 5 weekday nights. This saves a lot of points. If you travel in off season or to a place with a lot of inventory like Orlando, you could pick up the weekend in open season. You'll want to make a backup plan like a hotel that you can cancel, just in case open season rooms aren't available.

PP had a good suggestion with RCI, you can get a two bedroom for much less points than it would cost through the club.

itradehilton

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think of the value this way: I pay about $800 a year for a 7000 point package which gets me a 2bdr for a week. That is a lot less than most Hilton Hotels and I have the advantage of not sharing a bedroom with my two teens. That alone is worth my initial investment.

michaelvmata

Reaction score
I think of the value this way: I pay about $800 a year for a 7000 point package which gets me a 2bdr for a week. That is a lot less than most Hilton Hotels and I have the advantage of not sharing a bedroom with my two teens. That alone is worth my initial investment.

You have a great deal there. I'm jealous! I have ~60% the points at ~150% of the cost. I wish I'd realized the importance of points to MF ratio before I made my purchase.

linsj

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
I wish I'd realized the importance of points to MF ratio before I made my purchase.

You're not the only one here who didn't realize this when purchasing. Depending on what size unit and where and when you want to go, you can still get some nice vacations from your points. For example, you can get two weeks in a studio in Honolulu in the spring or fall and have points left over.

Plus your ownership includes access to open season rates 30 days in advance. These prices are less than you'll pay for a hotel, in most cases.

itradehilton

TUG Member
Reaction score
We too did not know about TUG or MF ratios when we started. We are one of the poor saps who bought direct initially but the size of the unit was what hooked us.