• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How bad is airline basic economy class

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
trying to make up my mind on flights from fort Myers to Madison Wisconsin
Frontier has a basic flight with a stop in Philadelphia, about $125 each.
…...but there are no direct flights in May

Instead of Madison - can you do Millwaukee? Southwest has a few non stops out of that airport. And they are very good at assisting preboarders.

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
I can’t fly basic economy because I need to be able to sit with my kids. Of course that’s still not a guarantee in regular economy but at least I can raise a fuss.

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Probably go ahead and spend the extra money. I did Milwaukee a few years back and ended up spending so much time traveling I got sick. Plus southwest generally ends direct flights to Milwaukee in April

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Basic economy to me is good for short flights. We are thinking of flying to Spain late summer and my wife won't fly unless we go business class. Those long flights kill you. Business class flight for two people if I were to buy today would run me about $7,500 total. If that's the only way my wife will travel that distance, that's why we'll probably do. I'm just afraid if I spend that much and I have to cancel, I am SOL. Maybe I could get flight insurance.

In any event, I keep telling myself, you can't take it when when you go!

To each his own but to me nothing in Spain would be worth spending that kind of money on a flight.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
When we flew to Spain, we bought "comfort +" seats...
Same width as economy, but a better pitch... it helped.

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
If you really have to save money, you could have ONE of you pay for regular Economy and book an aisle seat. Then when the Basic Economy person gets a middle seat, you might be able to switch with the person on the aisle in the aisle in that row.

But doing this is pretty rude to the person in the aisle seat, don’t you think? They paid more so that they could get the aisle seat and now someone who decided to pay less is asking them to give up something they paid extra to get.

It forces someone to either be taken advantage of or to feel “mean” because they’re not effectively paying for someone else’s savings.

So I’d say don’t do that, it’s the kind of little rudenesses that make our society worse IMO. Pay for what you want to get, be considerate of your fellow travelers and if you don’t like the way the airlines have set this system up, take it up with them.

joestein

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am looking at airfare also and I don't like the sound of basic economy. In fact, even economy doesn't sound so great, but the Premier economy doesn't sound that much better than that one. Such is flying these days...

But I do want to pick my seat ahead of time- that's for sure. I hate flying as it is and I want an aisle seat next to my husband in the opposite aisle seat if I can get it.

SMH.......

True dat

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
If you really have to save money, you could have ONE of you pay for regular Economy and book an aisle seat. Then when the Basic Economy person gets a middle seat, you might be able to switch with the person on the aisle in the aisle in that row.

That is pretty whacky. If I paid extra to pick an aisle seat, I'd spit nails at anyone who asked me to give it up... All to save a few measly $$ that wouldn't be missed a month later?

I don't understand folks who'd spend thousands to take a vacation, a cruise or whatever, but then nickel and time their way around the margins in the name of being frugal. If you truly want to be frugal, stay home.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
But doing this is pretty rude to the person in the aisle seat, don’t you think? They paid more so that they could get the aisle seat and now someone who decided to pay less is asking them to give up something they paid extra to get.

It forces someone to either be taken advantage of or to feel “mean” because they’re not effectively paying for someone else’s savings.

I agree. Once I was seated on an aisle with two teenage girls seated next to me. One of their friends across the aisle in a middle seat asked me to trade seats so she could sit with her friends. I said no and told her it was because she was in a middle seat. She looked shocked that I had said "no". About that time a chaperone nearby said to her, "I told you he wasn't going to trade seats. Who wants to sit in a middle seat?"

That is the only time I've not traded seats when asked. All the other times, the request to trade was to trade for an equitable seat (window for window or aisle for aisle).

We should not make our problem someone else's problem.

magmue

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Kingsland
West 57th
Worldmark
Whale Pointe fractional
Point at Poipu (deed)
Lawai Beach Resort
Kauai Beach Villas
you could have ONE of you pay for regular Economy and book an aisle seat. Then when the Basic Economy person gets a middle seat, you might be able to switch with the person on the aisle in the aisle in that row.
Heathpack, I think wackymother was suggesting that the Regular Economy aisle seat holder could ask to switch with the unknown passenger who ended up in the aisle seat next to her husband in the Basic Economy middle seat. No guarantee, but I think trading an aisle seat for an aisle seat would have good odds of success without hard feelings.

geekette

Reaction score
To each his own but to me nothing in Spain would be worth spending that kind of money on a flight.
Not just Spain, ANYWHERE. I do want to go everywhere, haven't made Spain yet. We have played timeshare roulette and chosen from available destinations based on cheapest air (Canary Islands and Cabo both got chosen this way).

I am cheap. If I can fly internationally for $1k / seat vs $7k, I can travel more often. Plane travel sucks, I'm not into the nickel and diming becoming dollaring and centillioning. I won't play along, I'll buy cheapest seat and likely arrive around the same time as those paying much more for their seats. Sure, they may feel a little less crumpled but crumpled is part of air travel. The plane is simply a means to goal. I can't sleep on any of them as I'm pretty sure that stupid beep of seatbelt sign on and off is going to get me wherever my seat, even the biggest most comfy seat available to pax.

Which makes me ask, does anyone really put on and off their seltbelt each time that thing beeps??? The only time i take my seatbelt off is to use the john. I don't find them to be so uncomfortable as to remove the moment I can. That stupid booop is for me the worst part of air travel. if I could just sleep... since I really don't need constant update on the state of seatbeltedness and if I did need that info, I could simply look up at seatbelt sign... grrrr thanks, I needed to rant on that stupid recurring booooop

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score

So I’d say don’t do that, it’s the kind of little rudenesses that make our society worse IMO. Pay for what you want to get, be considerate of your fellow travelers and if you don’t like the way the airlines have set this system up, take it up with them.

I'm saying exchange an aisle seat for an aisle seat.

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
Heathpack, I think wackymother was suggesting that the Regular Economy aisle seat holder could ask to switch with the unknown passenger who ended up in the aisle seat next to her husband in the Basic Economy middle seat. No guarantee, but I think trading an aisle seat for an aisle seat would have good odds of success without hard feelings.

Yes! Exactly. Thank you!

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
That is pretty whacky. If I paid extra to pick an aisle seat, I'd spit nails at anyone who asked me to give it up... All to save a few measly $$ that wouldn't be missed a month later?

I don't understand folks who'd spend thousands to take a vacation, a cruise or whatever, but then nickel and time their way around the margins in the name of being frugal. If you truly want to be frugal, stay home.

Again, I suggested that the wife in the couple pay for an aisle seat, then switch the aisle seat for the aisle seat of the person who ended up in the aisle seat with the husband in the middle seat. I was not suggesting that anyone cheat in any way.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I just booked our flights and I did not pay more for an aisle seat in economy. I booked the reservation at the stated price and then afterwards was able to choose my seats and picked aisle seats. The only thing I paid extra for was to be seated right behind the economy plus section. That was $9 per ticket per flight- only like 2 or 3 rows ahead of regular economy. Normally I would be too cheap to pay for it but I decided to see if it makes a difference because it is on the back end of the wing.

The whole flying thing is like a big scam.

Last edited:

MrockStar

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I just booked our flights and I did not pay more for an aisle seat in economy. I booked the reservation at the stated price and then afterwards was able to choose my seats and picked aisle seats. The only thing I paid extra for was to be seated right behind the economy plus section. That was $9 per ticket per flight- only like 2 or 3 rows ahead of regular economy. Normally I would be too cheap to pay for it but I decided to see if it makes a difference because it is on the back end of the wing.

The whole flying thing is like a big scam.
I wouldn't care about $ 9.0 dollars if it makes your flight better. I never pay for seats on Spirt or Alliant and always get seats next to my wife, so it works out fine. YMMV.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
No doubt aisle for aisle or middle for middle. Not sure why people thought over wise.

My issue is that families should be kept together with to pay more. Did 4 segments on delta with my two 5 year olds. We did not need to choose our seats but wanted 3 together. Anywhere on the plane. I’m not paying extra and not lettIng strangers sit by my kids alone. I have no problem making the issue the gate agents and flight attendants problem. Hopefully if they get enough push back the airlines will change it. 3 people on the same ticket should get a 3 person row.

The airline I fly regularly allows for good seat selection. I only slum it on American carriers if there are no other options in getting there.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
You have to draw the line somewhere, but short flights are almost bearable in economy, but if you ever fly to Hawaii from RSW, first class or stay home.

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
I'm saying exchange an aisle seat for an aisle seat.

Sorry I misunderstood what you were saying.

IMO if you have reason to need to sit with your traveling companion, it makes sense that you stick to fares that allow you to choose seats. It costs a little more but you are not the person that the discounted fare is designed for. It’s not worth the stress to leave things to chance.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
trying to make up my mind on flights from fort Myers to Madison Wisconsin
Frontier has a basic flight with a stop in Philadelphia, about $125 each.
Thirty dollars to check a bag which I would do anyhow because all my carry ons are in Wisconsin, but is frontier reliable, don’t want to get stuck in Philadelphia

United has basic flight with change planes in Chicago, $177 each, no carry on, no assigned seat, checked bag, $30. We have done this before, same area of airport to change flights. If we get delayed, easier to get another flight.

I have been early boarding, airports very confusing to my husband,so I get him on early, even putting the sleep machines in the overhead bin is confusing to him.
Will have two sleep machines, a very big purse and a backpack for my husband with medication and some electronics. Last trip was rough getting through security, and keeping track of everything, but there are no direct flights in May

I am 99% sure I already replied to you specifically on a previous post.....so, forgive me for repeating myself (if so), but I'll say it again:

• If you or your traveling partner have a physical, mental, or emotional condition that disrupts the normal flow of traffic at the checkpoints, boarding or movement throughout the airport, then you owe it to yourselves AND the traveling public to seek assistance:
    • If you have mobility problems (can't walk, can't stand, can't carry bags, can't lift bags), then identify yourself to an airport or airline representative (yours) and request assistance. Some places this will be a wheelchair, others a golf cart etc... Embarrassing? Maybe. But, not nearly as embarrassing as breaking a hip or nose or wrist while trying to navigate the terminal to the seat on the plane.
    • Here's a tip: If you are of normal health and physical capacity and you can not safely lift your bag into the overhead bin.....PAY to check your bag or get assistance and TIP the attendant. Your 55 pound bag that you sneak onto the airplane is YOUR responsibility--not the flight attendants and not the other passengers. Also, please don't expect the customer service reps (CSR's) or flight attendants (FA's) to lift your bags and put them in the overhead or otherwise. Ground handlers/check-in agents can certainly be expected to move your bags when appropriate (and mobility assistance attendants--pushers). Sorry, that was a rant.:mad:
    • If you don't have difficulty with mobility, but have issues with screening at the checkpoint (anxiety, implants, medical devices, separation issues, language issues etc...), then do this:
      • Approach a representative at the checkpoint (probably TSA, near where the mobility assisted passengers enter). Calmly, clearly state the issues that you have (implant, assistance required lifting, need to remain with companion, language etc...) and request assistance. They should help you.
      • If you are selected for secondary or ETD swabbing etc.... DON'T refuse. Indicate that you have requested special assistance or consideration for screening, explain the separation anxiety again (if necessary) and request accommodation. You are not refusing...you are requesting specific accommodation that should be available to you under the ADA and other legal protections. "I will submit to any required screening. My traveling companion may become disoriented and anxious if we are seperated. I request accommodation for this medical condition...please allow my traveling companion to accompany me and submit to any required screening as well."
      • Talk to the officers at the screening checkpoint like people--not like a cop that caught you speeding. You are not 'cheating' and don't need to feel guilty or ashamed. If someone is overworked or unwilling to speak to you in a appropriate manner, request a supervisor. Keep in mind: this will take extra time. If you are accompanying someone in a wheelchair.....most of this will be automatic. The wheelchair is typically a 'magical talisman' that makes people nice and makes them speak to you LOUDLY and SLOWLY. It can be irritating, but it helps.
    • At the gate:
      • Expect to get what you paid for: You will not be automatically 'seated together' simply because you have issues. If you pay for 'basic' on any airline, expect accommodation and polite service, but expect to get exactly what you paid for. That means middle seats, seperate seats and no free bags (if they aren't already included). You will get accommodation for aisle chairs, early boarding and for stowing medically required and appropriate equipment (golf clubs are not mobility aids).
      • If you or your travel companion have a condition that will impede, delay or prevent the normal and swift boarding of the airplane (emphasis on swift), then please request early boarding or show up at the gate when polled for 'those who need a little extra time etc..' NOTE THIS: If you board early at the departure, I would certainly expect that you depart the aircraft late (towards the end at least) when arriving. Why would you demand to board first (so you don't slow-up the process) and then charge off the plane at the destination.....and slow everybody up behind you? Be thoughtful is my advice.
    • On the plane:
      • Don't expect the flight attendants move your luggage. Injuries are rife in the industry and it gets very old after 4 or 5 flights and 5 or 6 passengers who ask "can you lift this, it's too heavy for me...." Ask the 280 lb weightlifter that's been using the armrest for the last 6 hours to curl something besides the last three beers he drank.
      • If you need something during the flight (oxygen in the overhead, medicine you can't get <seatbelt sign?>) but can't get it or worried about it, ask for help. If you or your companion needs the facilities and you're worried about getting there etc.... explain and ask for help. Don't fall in the aisle and cause a divert for fear of asking. IMHO
Finally....
If you or your companion is having a medical or emotional (psychological) issue...don't wait until it gets unbearable to confess and explain and ask for help. Many times, there is a simple solution to quickly assist and keep the problem in check. If you wait until things get 'out of hand,' you may find your plane is diverting to the nearest airport.....you are being denied boarding and miss your flight....or you are being held-up in screening because you refused to submit to screening as required. Lot's of folks need a little help, have a bad day or find themselves in the middle of a medical/emotional episode---right smack in the middle of an airport or airplane. Don't be embarrassed to ask for assistance early enough to avoid problems for yourself and those around you.

Sorry if this sounds preachy or self-righteous. I have a lot of experience with airports and the travel industry. This stuff happens to lots of good (and not so good) folks every single day. Plus, I'm stubborn as a mule. I've got a bad shoulder, and have learned--the hard way--that I can't lift that 'heavy' bag into the overhead like I used to. Time to check it or lighten it so I don't drop it on somebodies head. (A common occurrence).

I sincerely hope these words give you the courage/knowledge to take charge and improve your travel experience.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Again, I suggested that the wife in the couple pay for an aisle seat, then switch the aisle seat for the aisle seat of the person who ended up in the aisle seat with the husband in the middle seat. I was not suggesting that anyone cheat in any way.

I fully understand your reasoning and your logic.

Still: Don't expect anyone to change seats with you: it's not required and they may have paid to have that seat--middle or not. Personally, I won't exchange seats to move further back on the airplane more than a few rows and I will never exchange seats to move forward of my overhead luggage. If you do, you can't get off the plane unless you try to 'swim salmon upriver' during the deboarding to get your bag. A very foul move IMNSHO. Further, if the plane is late or just trying to push early, the flight attendants are very likely to tell you to 'take your assigned seat.' PERIOD. This means take your assigned seat now. This can become a security issue--especially with international flights and flights that may have certain additional passengers on board. Enough said.

Booking a flight and expecting to move your assigned seat is like playing the tables in Vegas; you'll probably lose.
If you need or want assigned seating, pay for it, work it online or at the gate before boarding. Don't delay 256 people so you can save a few $$.

Man, I'm on a rant roll today. Blood sugar must be low.

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am 99% sure I already replied to you specifically on a previous post.....so, forgive me for repeating myself (if so), but I'll say it again:

• If you or your traveling partner have a physical, mental, or emotional condition that disrupts the normal flow of traffic at the checkpoints, boarding or movement throughout the airport, then you owe it to yourselves AND the traveling public to seek assistance:
    • If you have mobility problems (can't walk, can't stand, can't carry bags, can't lift bags), then identify yourself to an airport or airline representative (yours) and request assistance. Some places this will be a wheelchair, others a golf cart etc... Embarrassing? Maybe. But, not nearly as embarrassing as breaking a hip or nose or wrist while trying to navigate the terminal to the seat on the plane.
    • Here's a tip: If you are of normal health and physical capacity and you can not safely lift your bag into the overhead bin.....PAY to check your bag or get assistance and TIP the attendant. Your 55 pound bag that you sneak onto the airplane is YOUR responsibility--not the flight attendants and not the other passengers. Also, please don't expect the customer service reps (CSR's) or flight attendants (FA's) to lift your bags and put them in the overhead or otherwise. Ground handlers/check-in agents can certainly be expected to move your bags when appropriate (and mobility assistance attendants--pushers). Sorry, that was a rant.:mad:
    • If you don't have difficulty with mobility, but have issues with screening at the checkpoint (anxiety, implants, medical devices, separation issues, language issues etc...), then do this:
      • Approach a representative at the checkpoint (probably TSA, near where the mobility assisted passengers enter). Calmly, clearly state the issues that you have (implant, assistance required lifting, need to remain with companion, language etc...) and request assistance. They should help you.
      • If you are selected for secondary or ETD swabbing etc.... DON'T refuse. Indicate that you have requested special assistance or consideration for screening, explain the separation anxiety again (if necessary) and request accommodation. You are not refusing...you are requesting specific accommodation that should be available to you under the ADA and other legal protections. "I will submit to any required screening. My traveling companion may become disoriented and anxious if we are seperated. I request accommodation for this medical condition...please allow my traveling companion to accompany me and submit to any required screening as well."
      • Talk to the officers at the screening checkpoint like people--not like a cop that caught you speeding. You are not 'cheating' and don't need to feel guilty or ashamed. If someone is overworked or unwilling to speak to you in a appropriate manner, request a supervisor. Keep in mind: this will take extra time. If you are accompanying someone in a wheelchair.....most of this will be automatic. The wheelchair is typically a 'magical talisman' that makes people nice and makes them speak to you LOUDLY and SLOWLY. It can be irritating, but it helps.
    • At the gate:
      • Expect to get what you paid for: You will not be automatically 'seated together' simply because you have issues. If you pay for 'basic' on any airline, expect accommodation and polite service, but expect to get exactly what you paid for. That means middle seats, seperate seats and no free bags (if they aren't already included). You will get accommodation for aisle chairs, early boarding and for stowing medically required and appropriate equipment (golf clubs are not mobility aids).
      • If you or your travel companion have a condition that will impede, delay or prevent the normal and swift boarding of the airplane (emphasis on swift), then please request early boarding or show up at the gate when polled for 'those who need a little extra time etc..' NOTE THIS: If you board early at the departure, I would certainly expect that you depart the aircraft late (towards the end at least) when arriving. Why would you demand to board first (so you don't slow-up the process) and then charge off the plane at the destination.....and slow everybody up behind you? Be thoughtful is my advice.
    • On the plane:
      • Don't expect the flight attendants move your luggage. Injuries are rife in the industry and it gets very old after 4 or 5 flights and 5 or 6 passengers who ask "can you lift this, it's too heavy for me...." Ask the 280 lb weightlifter that's been using the armrest for the last 6 hours to curl something besides the last three beers he drank.
      • If you need something during the flight (oxygen in the overhead, medicine you can't get <seatbelt sign?>) but can't get it or worried about it, ask for help. If you or your companion needs the facilities and you're worried about getting there etc.... explain and ask for help. Don't fall in the aisle and cause a divert for fear of asking. IMHO
Finally....
If you or your companion is having a medical or emotional (psychological) issue...don't wait until it gets unbearable to confess and explain and ask for help. Many times, there is a simple solution to quickly assist and keep the problem in check. If you wait until things get 'out of hand,' you may find your plane is diverting to the nearest airport.....you are being denied boarding and miss your flight....or you are being held-up in screening because you refused to submit to screening as required. Lot's of folks need a little help, have a bad day or find themselves in the middle of a medical/emotional episode---right smack in the middle of an airport or airplane. Don't be embarrassed to ask for assistance early enough to avoid problems for yourself and those around you.

Sorry if this sounds preachy or self-righteous. I have a lot of experience with airports and the travel industry. This stuff happens to lots of good (and not so good) folks every single day. Plus, I'm stubborn as a mule. I've got a bad shoulder, and have learned--the hard way--that I can't lift that 'heavy' bag into the overhead like I used to. Time to check it or lighten it so I don't drop it on somebodies head. (A common occurrence).

I sincerely hope these words give you the courage/knowledge to take charge and improve your travel experience.

The security people in Florida gave me a card with their phone number to make arrangements to meet us the next time we fly, but the ones in Madison said no, that was up to the airlines. The only thing we are putting in the overhead is a cpap machine, they are lightweight and small. My husband cannot decide which way to put them in the overhead, he can’t make a decision. I can’t check those, and I don’t trust checking all our meds or the little bit of electronics I have. In fact, in my original post I stated I was checking a bag. There is nothing I can do about my husband’s condition, no matter how I prep him he cannot understand what to do at the checkpoint. Physically he can do anything any one else can do. He is quiet and doesn’t make a scene.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
The security people in Florida gave me a card with their phone number to make arrangements to meet us the next time we fly, but the ones in Madison said no, that was up to the airlines. The only thing we are putting in the overhead is a cpap machine, they are lightweight and small. My husband cannot decide which way to put them in the overhead, he can’t make a decision. I can’t check those, and I don’t trust checking all our meds or the little bit of electronics I have. In fact, in my original post I stated I was checking a bag. There is nothing I can do about my husband’s condition, no matter how I prep him he cannot understand what to do at the checkpoint. Physically he can do anything any one else can do. He is quiet and doesn’t make a scene.

I understand.

There should be no problem with the CPAP. I made the remarks about the luggage simply because the 'basic' fares often do not include checked bags (or overhead) and many folks would be better off with checked bags..... Personal items (purse, backpack, small underseat bag--sold at Costco!) is always legal. No need to give them your electronics or Meds!

The (Security) TSA? representative in Florida was correct: they can and will gladly assist you. Madison TSA (or contract?) will also assist and accommodate you. It's not a choice if it's under ADA. It sounds like it might be. I'd suggest a simple and dignified letter from your DH's doctor: "Mr. X should be allowed the attendance of his wife or a designated support person at all times when traveling (in public? etc...). This is a reasonable accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act."

One does not have to use a wheelchair, a cane or be visibly and obviously challenged in order to receive accommodation or assistance while traveling or in public spaces. One does not have to PROVE that they have challenges or lesser abilities before being assisted. These are your rights.

You are entitled to travel with dignity and without excess stress or ridicule. There are procedures (screening assistance, early boarding) that will assist you.
I challenge you to explore those resources to make your journey as smooth, swift and dignified as possible.

Cheers.

PM me if you want to chat off-line.

PS: My post (above) was very general in nature. It was addressed to a large range of people with varying issues and challenges. I see people staggering under luggage, medical gear and using an assistance device (cane, walker, crutch) all the time. Just making some suggestions to those that might benefit.

Last edited: