• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How bad is airline basic economy class

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
trying to make up my mind on flights from fort Myers to Madison Wisconsin
Frontier has a basic flight with a stop in Philadelphia, about $125 each.
Thirty dollars to check a bag which I would do anyhow because all my carry ons are in Wisconsin, but is frontier reliable, don’t want to get stuck in Philadelphia

United has basic flight with change planes in Chicago, $177 each, no carry on, no assigned seat, checked bag, $30. We have done this before, same area of airport to change flights. If we get delayed, easier to get another flight.

I have been early boarding, airports very confusing to my husband,so I get him on early, even putting the sleep machines in the overhead bin is confusing to him.
Will have two sleep machines, a very big purse and a backpack for my husband with medication and some electronics. Last trip was rough getting through security, and keeping track of everything, but there are no direct flights in May

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Let me start by saying I have no experience with basic economy but most of the carriers have details on their website.

Here's the link to United's webpage - https://www.united.com/web/en-us/content/travel/inflight/basic-economy.aspx

Just a heads up based on your post. Good Luck :)
If we get delayed, easier to get another flight.
United's webpage states "Ticket changes are not allowed with Basic Economy, including advance and same-day changes. Refunds are not allowed except as stated in the United 24-hour flexible booking policy."

I have been early boarding, airports very confusing to my husband,so I get him on early, even putting the sleep machines in the overhead bin is confusing to him.
United's webpage states "With Basic Economy, you'll also be in the last boarding group unless you're a MileagePlus Premier member or companion traveling on the same reservation, the primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card or a Star Alliance Gold member"

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Priority Boarding and Preselecting a seat are deal breakers for me. If you don't care about those, basic is a better price.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I am looking at airfare also and I don't like the sound of basic economy. In fact, even economy doesn't sound so great, but the Premier economy doesn't sound that much better than that one. Such is flying these days...

But I do want to pick my seat ahead of time- that's for sure. I hate flying as it is and I want an aisle seat next to my husband in the opposite aisle seat if I can get it.

SMH.......

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
Last year I called and explained a little about situation, customer service said that when they make the announcement for people with special needs, to go ahead and get on. That has nothing to do with ticket cost.
But do you interpret that basic economy, if the flight is cancelled you have no rights, you will just be left at the airport.cant get on a different flight without paying again.

Snazzylass

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sedona Pines
if the flight is cancelled you have no rights, you will just be left at the airport.cant get on a different flight without paying again.
huh? If the flight is cancelled...gosh, not sure what actually happens, but I thought the basic economy fare states that your tickets are nonrefundable. If you pay a bit more and needs to change your plans, you can use the ticket after paying a significant fee, like $200.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
But do you interpret that basic economy, if the flight is cancelled you have no rights, you will just be left at the airport.cant get on a different flight without paying again.

You can certainly get on another flight, however Basic Economy passengers will be the very last accommodated in Irregular Operations so that other flight may not be the same day or even the next day.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts
I flew United operated flights from Chicago to Vietnam and back. On the way over we upgraded to Economy Plus and got 6 extra inches of legroom for like $100ish a ticket. On the way back, all 21 hours, we were in basic economy. It was not comfortable but I didn't die. Made the whole 10 night trip without a checked bag. 1 carry on and a backpack.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Even w-basic economy...
If the flight is cancelled by the airline, they will rebook you.
If there is a significant schedule change, you can be rebooked.
... It may not be convenient, but they'll still get you to your destination.

However, I insist on seat selection and changeability.
More recently, I've paid to upgrade to "comfort plus" & 1st class.
I find that, as I age, creature comforts have more value to me.

Last edited:

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
delta has some options too,but going through Atlanta was hard the time we did it. But I can actually do carry ons for a lot less than no bags with United.
I am traveling light, but some things can’t be left behind as we will be five to six months in Wisconsin.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Delta has some options too, but going through Atlanta was hard...

If you live in the South:
When you die, you may go to heaven or hell, but you'll have to go thru Atlanta to get there.

Free bags with a Delta Sky[Pesos] Gold Am-Ex (or 1st class ticket).

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
For me, the older I get the more my time is worth an extra $50 or a $100. The bigger airlines have more options if something happens. To me the extra money I pay to choose my seat is also worth it.

Last edited:

MrockStar

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I fly spirit and allegiant a lot, pluses are direct and inexpensive flights to Florida Caribbean and Mexico, early boarding "Military'" and Spirit MasterCard acct. Also smaller airports "Allegiant" and cheaper parking "Allegiant". Minuses you pay for checked and carry on bags, drinks/food " I always bring my own snacks/food and short direct flights it really doesn't matter". Also less legroom less padded seats however the direct flights make up for this in my experience. No flights/experience with Frontier check blogs, trip advisor, ect.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I fly spirit and allegiant a lot, pluses are direct and inexpensive flights to Florida Caribbean and Mexico, early boarding "Military'" and Spirit MasterCard acct. Also smaller airports "Allegiant" and cheaper parking "Allegiant". Minuses you pay for checked and carry on bags, drinks/food " I always bring my own snacks/food and short direct flights it really doesn't matter". Also less legroom less padded seats however the direct flights make up for this in my experience. No flights/experience with Frontier check blogs, trip advisor, ect.

Doesn't Spirit have a bad reputation?

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts
Frontier operates a lot like allegiant where the base price is very low but they get you with paying to pick your seat, bags etc.
The biggest difference, at least in the STL area is that allegiant flies out of a small regional airport and frontier flies out of Lambert INTL.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
The biggest drawback to me with Low Cost guys like Spirit etc is the lack of backup or rescheduling if the plane goes down for maintenance or cancels for weather or other irregular operations. The mainline carriers have more options to get you to your destination.

That said, I decided long ago that for anything more than one hour, it’s premium economy or better for me.

Cheers

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
If your husband becomes disoriented while traveling, Basic Economy is not a good choice. You won't get to choose your seats, so you will almost certainly both get middle seats. They may not be near each other. The savings are not worth the worry.

AJCts411

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Sunset x 2
No seat selection=middle. "basic"=same airplane, and LOL the front of the plane leaves the same time as the back of the plane. Unregulated bin use=big problem for the bottom feeder airlines. When traveling with a carry on, no luggage I choose an carrier that has a "free carry on" rule. I think when you add up all the extras from the bottom feeder (by that I mean the carriers racing to the bottom of the fare game) carriers you probably can get the same services cheaper by purchasing a main cabin etc fare. My biggest pev after the bottom feeder carriers, is the search engines that ONLY give you "basic fare" search results.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
To me, all the seats are uncomfortable. Last fall getting to the airplane was a trial. My husband put down his backpack and left it. I have to go through special security because of artificial knee and I alerted. Meanwhile my husband was going through with things in his pocket, and couldn’t understand what was going on. I got searched and swabbed and alerted. Meanwhile our stuff is on the conveyer and blocking everyone. I got pulled to the side and swabbed and searched and alerted again. They went through my wallet, my purse, swabbed all the electronics, and went through my cpap machine. Meanwhile my husband’s things are still on the conveyor.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
If your husband becomes disoriented while traveling, Basic Economy is not a good choice. You won't get to choose your seats, so you will almost certainly both get middle seats. They may not be near each other. The savings are not worth the worry.
That is my concern

rosebud5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Basic economy to me is good for short flights. We are thinking of flying to Spain late summer and my wife won't fly unless we go business class. Those long flights kill you. Business class flight for two people if I were to buy today would run me about $7,500 total. If that's the only way my wife will travel that distance, that's why we'll probably do. I'm just afraid if I spend that much and I have to cancel, I am SOL. Maybe I could get flight insurance.

In any event, I keep telling myself, you can't take it when when you go!

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts
My 21 hour flight in basic economy wasn't that bad. I'm 6'0 225 and my wingman that flew with me is 6'5 250. Granted we're only 30 but the cost definitely made it more tolerable. Granted round trip to Vietnam or Taiwan from Chicago is only about $5-700.

Last edited:

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
The biggest drawback to me with Low Cost guys like Spirit etc is the lack of backup or rescheduling if the plane goes down for maintenance or cancels for weather or other irregular operations. The mainline carriers have more options to get you to your destination.

That said, I decided long ago that for anything more than one hour, it’s premium economy or better for me.

Cheers

We've flown Spirit a lot in the last 7-8 years and have had fewer issues with their flights than the mainline carriers. In just the last three years we've flown eight different airlines. ALL airlines have flight delays due to weather, crew scheduling and maintenance issues. They are a fact of life when you fly.

I've found that when there is an issue with a plane or a delay Spirit is quicker than any other airline we've flown to bring in another plane. I came close to learning that the hard way 4 years ago. There was an hour delay announced for a flight I was on so to kill time I wandered down the corridor and took my time in the ladies room fussing with my hair, etc. I was intending to stroll the opposite way from the gate but stopped first to ask the other people sitting at my gate if they had announced an update on how long the delay was going to be. They had and I had to hustle to get myself over to the new gate.

Spirit had growing pains in their early years and I give their executives a lot of credit for making it a mission to overcome the issues they had. But there are still a lot of people who still have that negative impression of them from their early years. Because they are based out of Fort Lauderdale they make the news here whenever they announce or do anything so we are probably more aware of what goes on with Spirit than most people would likely be. Spirit has grown large enough that I think they should be considered a mainline carrier by now. Although they do still fit into the low cost category.

I find it surprising when people post stuff like Spirit, Frontier or Allegiant only has one flight and may not have another one for several days. That usually tells me that the person isn't very knowledgeable when it comes to airlines and flights. In smaller cities there won't be a plethora of flight choices period and there will only be one or two airlines that have more than one or two choices for dates and times. More airlines fly in and out of larger cities and offer more choices. I'm a fan of any airline that offers nonstop flights without jacking up the prices for those flights compared to their flights that have stops or layovers. There is no where I want to go bad enough to put up with more than one stop or 3+ hour layovers but some people don't have that option because of where they live or are traveling to.

My husband traveled for work and was often stuck flying the mainline carriers. When I was scheduling his flights I knew to not even suggest any flights connecting in Atlanta unless he had no other option, Chicago was right out and never under any circumstances NYC. I'm sure there would have been West Coast cities on his list too but he wasn't traveling in that part of the country for work trips. On one of his last business trips before he retired last year he flew out on Spirit and back on Southwest because using two different airlines gave him the best flight times. When he got home one of the first things he told me was how disappointed he was in the Southwest plane he was on. He said the seats on that plane were no bigger than the seat he had on Spirit and that his seat on Spirit had actually been more comfortable. From what I've been reading passengers should not expect the same flight experiences that they have had in the past with the mainline carriers.

Just for our family's personal use, not including my husband's business trips, I've booked and paid for over 100 flights in the last 6 years. And I've flown most of them. Not everyone has the same criteria that I do. I am ALL about the price and having nonstop flights whenever possible. We would not do what we do if I was paying the prices other airlines charge. I fly up to get our granddaughters and bring them down for their vacations with us so that is 4 roundtrip flights at least 3 times a year. Our older granddaughter is now 7.5 and I have been making these trips, flying with her, since she was 18 months old. The younger one is now 2.5. I would not be flying an airline that stranded me at the airport with a toddler or one that I experienced repeated long flight delays! I love our granddaughters and they are excellent travelers but being stranded at the airport or long flight delays falls in the just shoot me now category. I also sometimes go visit our son and his family. I pay for the flights when our son and his family come down here. And my husband and I were flying 3 times a year for vacations too. I never pay to pick the seats as none of us are tall enough to really need the extra leg room. I have never had any airline not seat the girls with me or our son or DIL. I know to pay for any bags when I book the flights and know that on Spirit checked bags are cheaper than carry on bags. My husband and I or the two girls and I can easily share a checked bag and we all have the wheeled under the seat bags that are considered your personal item. I actually prefer taking our own snacks as I try to have more nutritious snacks and we all take an empty water bottle to fill up after we get through security.

Some people aren't good at searching out stuff on the internet or just plain don't want to do any work to figure out anything when it comes to travel plans. Flights, rental cars, or their stays. We have friends who are like that. Some people fly once a year or every couple of years and flying is part of the whole vacation experience for them so they want first class on an airline that offers all the bells and whistles. If they are happy that is their business but I often wonder if they would make the same choice if they knew more or had more experience.

Last edited:

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
Meanwhile my husband was going through with things in his pocket, and couldn’t understand what was going on.

Honestly, I just don't think it's a good idea to do Basic Economy if this is the situation. If your husband is confused, and he's on the plane between two strangers, it could be very hard on him.

If you really have to save money, you could have ONE of you pay for regular Economy and book an aisle seat. Then when the Basic Economy person gets a middle seat, you might be able to switch with the person on the aisle in the aisle in that row.