• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hospitals, doctors drop private Medicare plans over payment disputes

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I chose a medigap plan (G) for fear of this very thing. Plus not having to hassle with where to go and what is and is not covered and copays, etc.

dago

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree with Mary Ann. That's the main reason I chose traditional Medicare. Actually, I think this is old news.

Last edited:

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
I agree with Mary Ann. That's the main reason I chose traditional Medicare. Actually, I think this is old news.
You would think, but with the barrage of Medicare Advantage commercials on TV this time of year.

Have you ever seen a commercial for a "Medigap" (Medicare Plan G or N)?

isisdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai
I don't think I had previously see Medicare Advantage referred to as a "Private Medicare plan," which suggests that it is not Public, and therefore subject to restricted access.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I don't think I had previously see Medicare Advantage referred to as a "Private Medicare plan," which suggests that it is not Public, and therefore subject to restricted access.
It is "Private" (Outside company) which takes the place of Medicare A & B. The company gets an annual per head fixed payment from CMS, but then the costs are controlled by:
  • Provider Networks
  • Primary Care Physicians
  • Pre-authorization of medical procedures
  • Copayments (Maximum Out of Pocket expense - Pay as you go model)
Much like the "Private" health insurance offered to employees under a group plan.

Private refers to the entity offering the insurance, not the access.

jorcus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Even the part G plans can be slow to pay providers. My wife discovered it took 6 months to pay for a particular visit. According to our AAA Medicare helper the plans with the higher ratings tend to have a better relationship with the providers.

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
Advantage plans, as I understand them, are privatized, for profit, replacements for Medicare. What I’ve seen of them reminds me of the old HMO health care plans that promised the world but, when it came time to provide services, would routinely deny benefits.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Even the part G plans can be slow to pay providers. My wife discovered it took 6 months to pay for a particular visit. According to our AAA Medicare helper the plans with the higher ratings tend to have a better relationship with the providers.
Less of an issue with "Medigap" policies as they usually only cover the %20 of Medicare Part B costs. If you REALLY get sick and have to tap Part A coverage, the provider still has the lion's share from CMS.

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
We have Medicare advantage through our retirement. My husband was hospitalized twice, $52000 each. Medicare allowance was paid, and one year later, they took the money back, saying the hospital hadn’t followed proper procedures Every procedure needs pre approval, even an ultrasound.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We have Medicare advantage through our retirement. My husband was hospitalized twice, $52000 each. Medicare allowance was paid, and one year later, they took the money back, saying the hospital hadn’t followed proper procedures Every procedure needs pre approval, even an ultrasound.
Were you able to appeal or are you on the hook for $100K?

dago

TUG Member
Reaction score
Were you able to appeal or are you on the hook for $100K?
I have a supplement plan and when I was hospitalized for 23 days following a surgery, I ran up a hefty bill. I saw many doctors and had many procedures done. Everything was seamless and I had zero out of pocket.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have a supplement plan and when I was hospitalized for 23 days following a surgery, I ran up a hefty bill. I saw many doctors and had many procedures done. Everything was seamless and I had zero out of pocket.
That question was directed to @rapmarks who has an Advantage plan with over $100k that was rejected after a year of being paid. Many retirement plans are forcing recipients into Advantage plans. I have a friend that retired from a large defence contractor and the Advantage plan was part of the retirement package.

New York City just had their lunch handed to them:

Last edited:

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
No I didn’t owe a cent. The hospital appealed but I never saw a reversal
It's good that the hospital was able to appeal and get paid, but that is still stress that insured should not have to endure. That kind of hoop-jumping is why I went with Medicare Plan G to avoid in claims.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's good that the hospital was able to appeal and get paid, but that is still stress that insured should not have to endure. That kind of hoop-jumping is why I went with Medicare Plan G to avoid in claims.
No hospital did not get paid

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

'Deny, deny, deny': By rejecting claims, Medicare Advantage plans threaten rural hospitals and patients, say CEOs​

Medicare Advantage plans "are taking over Medicare and they are taking advantage of elderly patients," said the CEO of one Mississippi facility.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
Case manager at hospital told me it is very hard to find home health agency to agree to work with my Aetna Medicare insurance.

Last edited:

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just returned from hospital stay to find a letter from insurance rejecting the pet scan I had last week, which showed something new that was biopsied for the surgery, saying he had one in July so couldn't have another.
I had surgery this past Monday and looks like the surgery approval has now been paused, although it was approved last week. The insurance is really screwing with me. Medicare Advantage at its best.

emeryjre

TUG Member
Reaction score
All plans seem to have one thing in common
The more the plan costs, the more things get covered
Part A, B and medigap plan F extra (now called G)
It costs about $450 a month for 2024
The neighbors (husband and wife) on a advantage plan were told that their doctors and hospital network would no longer accept their coverage
Their new insurance is going to cost them about $800 a month
Is least expensive plan they could find that would be accepted by by current doctors and hospital network
She has lung cancer and he has a long list of ailments
They are lucky to be able to get coverage with all of their pre existing conditions
But they were not prepared for almost 10K in medical insurance costs for the future