• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hilton sale for Vida purchase

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Hilton
We own a Hilton timeshare with access to 22,000 points. It’s is paid off and the maintenance fees are paid through December.
We used some RCI points through that membership to travel to the Vidanta in Nuevo Vallarta this past November and really loved the experience. We sat though the presentation (and approximately 5 margaritas) and decided to purchase a week through Vida Vacations.
They “factored in” our Hilton timeshare (which we really never used) and the points at a $78,000 valuation.
We were told at the time that we would need to pay an $1800 fee for the title transfer of our Hilton timeshare which made (Margarita) sense.
When the company called us to make that transaction they offered to sell our timeshare for a small $10,000 fee.
I have zero margaritas on board and know that this is BS. Right?
What I don’t know is… should I even pay the $1800 fee?
What actually is our obligation to Vida? They are letting us book trips and pay when we go rather than pay maintenance fees.
Should we try to sell our Hilton situation? Since it’s paid off all we really have to do is pay the MFs once a year.
Who knows anything about Vida vacations?
We are headed to the Vidanta in April and I’d like to have this situated by then,
Yes. I feel like an idiot. My husband is experiencing a brain injury since this transaction and remembers nothing about any of it and I can’t tell from the paperwork what my obligations is.
Any help/advise is greatly appreciated!!!
*** easy on the margarita shaming please

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
The sad truth is that you could have paid the same amount without trading your HGVC. It's a well known scam to extract more money out of you. Just sell it yourself if you no longer want it, HGVC has some value, or can give it away free here on TUG.

Too bad you didn't read the TUG Mexico forum before going to the margarita happy hour, er presentation...

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Hilton
The sad truth is that you could have paid the same amount without trading your HGVC. It's a well known scam to extract more money out of you. Just sell it yourself if you no longer want it, HGVC has some value, or can give it away free here on TUG.

Too bad you didn't read the TUG Mexico forum before going to the margarita happy hour, er presentation...
I know! I didn’t find TUG till a week ago!
Do you think I should pay to transfer the title? I’m confused about what my obligation to Vida is. I would be fine keeping the HGVC since all we own now is are the MFs.
#dontdrinkandsign

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I know! I didn’t find TUG till a week ago!
Do you think I should pay to transfer the title? I’m confused about what my obligation to Vida is. I would be fine keeping the HGVC since all we own now is are the MFs.
#dontdrinkandsign

It's best to no longer correspond with them and keep your HGVC. They don't have any way to take it from you. They will just give you the runaround and try to extract more money. There are lots of examples on here of people that thought they had traded in timeshares on a Mexico purchase only to find out they still own it when the maintenance fee comes due in January.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Hilton
It's best to no longer correspond with them and keep your HGVC. They don't have any way to take it from you. They will just give you the runaround and try to extract more money. There are lots of examples on here of people that thought they had traded in timeshares on a Mexico purchase only to find out they still own it when the maintenance fee comes due in January.

Me again. So now Im getting emails because I’m not communicating with the time share buyers/sellers. Is your best thought to keep ignoring? I’m happy to do that but I feel like I do t want them to come after ke in some crazy way!

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Me again. So now Im getting emails because I’m not communicating with the time share buyers/sellers. Is your best thought to keep ignoring? I’m happy to do that but I feel like I do t want them to come after ke in some crazy way!

They cannot do anything to you, mark the emails as spam and move on.

trippka

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Diamond Resorts Hawaii Collection, Diamond Resorts Cabo Azul Collection, Grand Colorado Peak 8, Grand Timber Lodge, Grand Lodge on Peak 7, Vidanta, Westin Lagunamar, Palace Resorts, Hard Rock, Marriott Aruba Surf, Marriott Kauai Beach
Yes, I fell for this scam at Vidanta. I use the resort and enjoy the trips, but I would never recommend anyone buy there when they can pay so much less by renting from an owner through TUG or other platforms. I am one who paid the fees but they never bought the resort and then the maintenance fees plus penalties were due when they didn't take the deed. I ended up with the FL attorney general and got the upfront money I paid them back as it was in writing that they were to take the timeshare and pay the maintenance fees. I still own the timeshare now, years later. Just save a lot of hassle and ignore them. I know people who have given the same timeshare to Vidanta over and over again for the pretend discount. They just ignore any communication from the companies involved in taking it over.

dbkelso13

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, I fell for this scam at Vidanta. I use the resort and enjoy the trips, but I would never recommend anyone buy there when they can pay so much less by renting from an owner through TUG or other platforms. I am one who paid the fees but they never bought the resort and then the maintenance fees plus penalties were due when they didn't take the deed. I ended up with the FL attorney general and got the upfront money I paid them back as it was in writing that they were to take the timeshare and pay the maintenance fees. I still own the timeshare now, years later. Just save a lot of hassle and ignore them. I know people who have given the same timeshare to Vidanta over and over again for the pretend discount. They just ignore any communication from the companies involved in taking it over.
I fell for it as well and got them off my back by tell the reseller that I had passed on emails and information to the FBI. Still stuck with both a vidanta package AND an overpriced Wyndham package