• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

HGVC Vs. DVC

gman129

Reaction score
I’m interested in HGVC as a new owner. I have an existing timeshare with Disney Vacation Club (DVC) that I love and use all the time. Think I have a pretty good grasp on HGVC, but can someone illustrate the differences between the two? Want to make sure I am not assuming anything and making sure I’m not missing anything either. Thank you!

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Hilton has locations in Vegas. I doubt you will ever see that with Hilton.

Vastly different types of resorts. Different locations. Hilton has a lot of resorts, not just a few. Disney loves to build at Disney World and Disneyland, with a few other areas thrown in for supposed variety, like Hilton Head, Oahu and Vero Beach. Are there other areas? I don't think so.

Hilton is great, but you should buy resale and not have angst about something you bought and regret. I don't know what benefits you get from Hilton developer over resale. Someone who owns Hilton could chime in on that one.

I have considered Hilton many times. There are a few locations in Vegas that have lower MF's. I wouldn't buy the Big Island, but I would buy in Vegas to book the Big Island.

Hilton is on-par with Disney when it comes to quality. I love the new Hilton on Maui in Kihei. I am hoping to exchange into that one some day. I keep waiting for it.

I think Hilton has instituted rules against renting. while Disney still hasn't cracked down on renting, as long as you aren't renting tens of thousands of points per year. In particular, we rent what we own, which is OKW. No one has said a thing. Maybe they will at some point. I did buy to use, but exchanges have worked very well.

Hilton resorts are with RCI and Disney moved back to II. That has moved some RCI exchangers to look at other possibilities for getting Disney through II. Not that much that I want has been in II lately (Disney exchanges for summer do not tempt me at all).

gman129

Reaction score
Hilton has locations in Vegas. I doubt you will ever see that with Hilton.

Vastly different types of resorts. Different locations. Hilton has a lot of resorts, not just a few. Disney loves to build at Disney World and Disneyland, with a few other areas thrown in for supposed variety, like Hilton Head, Oahu and Vero Beach. Are there other areas? I don't think so.

Hilton is great, but you should buy resale and not have angst about something you bought and regret. I don't know what benefits you get from Hilton developer over resale. Someone who owns Hilton could chime in on that one.

I have considered Hilton many times. There are a few locations in Vegas that have lower MF's. I wouldn't buy the Big Island, but I would buy in Vegas to book the Big Island.

Hilton is on-par with Disney when it comes to quality. I love the new Hilton on Maui in Kihei. I am hoping to exchange into that one some day. I keep waiting for it.

I think Hilton has instituted rules against renting. while Disney still hasn't cracked down on renting, as long as you aren't renting tens of thousands of points per year. In particular, we rent what we own, which is OKW. No one has said a thing. Maybe they will at some point. I did buy to use, but exchanges have worked very well.

Hilton resorts are with RCI and Disney moved back to II. That has moved some RCI exchangers to look at other possibilities for getting Disney through II. Not that much that I want has been in II lately (Disney exchanges for summer do not tempt me at all).
Thank you! This helps. I more wanted to know the differences in how points are used

WaikikiFirst

Reaction score
I know next to nothing bout DVC but I hear about point-renting, selling whatever. Really no such thing in HGVC. You can rent out HGVC Home Wk, the actual week, with no issue. Otherwise? There are 100s of HGVC Lagoons being rented constantly, are they all Home Wks? idk
as cindy, HGVC has things like "buy in Vegas to book the Big Island". You can save Pts to the next yr, with a fee that grows as year-end approaches. You can borrow forward with no charge. "Weekends" cost 2x wkday per day

Janann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC on the Boulevard, Las Vegas;
Disney's Saratoga Springs
I’m interested in HGVC as a new owner. I have an existing timeshare with Disney Vacation Club (DVC) that I love and use all the time. Think I have a pretty good grasp on HGVC, but can someone illustrate the differences between the two? Want to make sure I am not assuming anything and making sure I’m not missing anything either. Thank you!
I own both.

One thing that seems to work better with HGVC/RCI over Disney/II is ongoing searches. With HGVC, you do not have to deposit points to RCI to create an ongoing search. If a match comes up, and you accept the match, then the points will be taken and booked. If a match never happens it doesn't matter in your points account, because the points weren't removed from your HGVC account.

I haven't yet committed to an ongoing search with Disney/II because as far as I can tell, points must be deposited with II in advance, and you have to come up with some calculation of how many points might be needed to get that match. If you don't find a match, or there are leftover points in II after the match, I still don't know if you can get those points back into your Disney account. It also sounds like II automatically books anything that matches your ongoing search parameters. If your dates or room requirements have changed since you set up the search, you will be stuck with the trade. Maybe someone else can explain Disney/II trading better.