• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

HGVC to RCI points value

prajora

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, RCI points
HGVC to RCI points questions:

- RCI points value in Cents/Point?
-Can you sell your RCI points?
- Websites to sell these points?

Thanks much

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC at Boulevard and Craigendarroch Lodges
Just to be clear, often times, folks don't have "RCI points". When you have a HGV account, you log into RCI via a link from the HGV portal. In that HGV version of RCI, you see your HGV points so when you book, the points used come directly from your HGV account and it is a 1 to 1 value. The only way to have "RCI points", is if you have expiring HGV points then you can deposit them into RCI where they are good for 2 more years. I am not sure of a way to sell them. You can book a stay and then pay for a guest certificate for someone though.

prajora

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, RCI points
Just to be clear, often times, folks don't have "RCI points". When you have a HGV account, you log into RCI via a link from the HGV portal. In that HGV version of RCI, you see your HGV points so when you book, the points used come directly from your HGV account and it is a 1 to 1 value. The only way to have "RCI points", is if you have expiring HGV points then you can deposit them into RCI where they are good for 2 more years. I am not sure of a way to sell them. You can book a stay and then pay for a guest certificate for someone though.
Talking of RCI deposited points from expiring HGVC points. Thx

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Just a heads up ... Renting a RCI reservation is not allowed.

Last edited:

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
Selling RCI points is prohibited by the RCI terms and conditions. It does happen, though. If you don’t advertise you might get away with it.

My understanding of how HGVC and other corporate RCI accounts interact with RCI is that the use of HGVC points in RCI is based on an established cost in points for an exchange based on season and unit size that is different than the cost in native RCI points in an RCI points account from an independent enrolled resort ownership. Because of this you can’t really compare them with a consistent exchange rate. This is true for HGVC points deposited in RCI - they would still be used through the HGVC RCI portal and would be subject to its usage methodology. If you have questions about the value of RCI points, the HGVC forum is probably the wrong one to ask them in because of that and you might not want to ask them in a traceable way because RCI may read the questions and identify your ownership as one to monitor for prohibited activity such as the sale of points.

Janann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC on the Boulevard, Las Vegas;
Disney's Saratoga Springs
The only timeshare company that I know of that is OK with renting out points that you own is Disney.

sponger76

TUG Member
Reaction score
The only timeshare company that I know of that is OK with renting out points that you own is Disney.
You can do it with Marriott as well, although they did recently instate a cap to only allow a given account to receive 20,000 points transferred in each year. That is still quite a lot of points and can get you a lot of weeks depending on when/where/what you book.

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Strictly speaking, this is not true. You can transfer points, and owners do charge for point transfers, but the governing documents specifically prohibit transfers for money.
So, you can charge for the transfer process but not the points? Like in college when you threw parties, you charged for the solo cup, not the beer?

Janann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
No, you can't take money in consideration for it at all
Then its not a rental, its a gift. :) My prior post said "renting."

Janann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Like in college when you threw parties, you charged for the solo cup, not the beer?
This made me laugh, and gave me a flashback. There was a large university in California that I used to visit occasionally on Fridays many years ago. At the TGIF party that was put on by the school every week you had to show ID to get an empty cup, and you could get multiple cups for friends. However, there was no ID check to fill the cup with beer. :ROFLMAO:

Anyway, I digress. Back to the rental vs. gift question.

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This made me laugh, and gave me a flashback. There was a large university in California that I used to visit occasionally on Fridays many years ago. At the TGIF party that was put on by the school every week you had to show ID to get an empty cup, and you could get multiple cups for friends. However, there was no ID check to fill the cup with beer. :ROFLMAO:

Anyway, I digress. Back to the rental vs. gift question.
This group is all about digressing....

You can probably guess where I went to school and it was many years ago. Since it was illegal to sell alcohol, if you were not a licensed distributer, the work around was to have the youngest and most excited person to be at a college party, stand at the door with a stack of solo cups charging $5 for one....and you had to buy one to come in....the booze was free once you got in. Of course, I wouldn't partake in such debauchery so just know from the rumor mill.....:)

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
...Like in college when you threw parties, you charged for the solo cup, not the beer?
Reminds me of wine festivals in Europe where you bought a
glass and then they gave you as many samples as you liked.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
This group is all about digressing....

You can probably guess where I went to school and it was many years ago. Since it was illegal to sell alcohol, if you were not a licensed distributer, the work around was to have the youngest and most excited person to be at a college party, stand at the door with a stack of solo cups charging $5 for one....and you had to buy one to come in....the booze was free once you got in. Of course, I wouldn't partake in such debauchery so just know from the rumor mill.....:)
$5 a cup? Insanity! When I was in school, it was $3 a cup. If you wanted a blue cup, it was $5 but everybody knew you paid more. You also got access to the comfy couch, but was more of a status thing than anything else.

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
$5 a cup? Insanity! When I was in school, it was $3 a cup. If you wanted a blue cup, it was $5 but everybody knew you paid more. You also got access to the comfy couch, but was more of a status thing than anything else.
I think we did $3/cup at times also.... Because I remember tube socks stuffed with $1s by the door person. The thought of that makes me laugh though.... Literally, those long white tube socks stuffed with $1 bills. I guess we should have hit the strip club after.... Just imagine walking in with tube socks of $1s.....:)