• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

HGVC - point conversion to Hilton Honors or RCI

prajora

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, RCI points
Hi,
I am relatively new to the HGVC ownership.
My question is what are the best choices for HGVC point conversion if they will expire say end of year and you may not be able to use them:
1. Extend HGVC point by paying fee.
2. Convert to Hilton Honors- don’t expire but don’t give lot of days at a Hilton.
3. Deposit to RCI

Any opinion in each of these. I know there will be Pro and Con for each.
Thanks in advance.

Pari

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Personally, I think option 1 is the best. As for option 2, you cannot directly convert current year points to Honors; you can only make Hilton Honors reservations with current year points, and then they only convert at a rate of 20:1, vs. converting next year's points where the rate is 25:1. Caveat -- this is for "normal" HGV properties; there are different rules for bHC properties.

If you extend the HGV points, you can still use them for most anything (including RCI), and then at the end of next year if you still have not used them, you can then deposit into RCI (for a fee) and extend them an additional 2 years.

Kurt

prajora

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, RCI points
Personally, I think option 1 is the best. As for option 2, you cannot directly convert current year points to Honors; you can only make Hilton Honors reservations with current year points, and then they only convert at a rate of 20:1, vs. converting next year's points where the rate is 25:1. Caveat -- this is for "normal" HGV properties; there are different rules for bHC properties.

If you extend the HGV points, you can still use them for most anything (including RCI), and then at the end of next year if you still have not used them, you can then deposit into RCI (for a fee) and extend them an additional 2 years.

Kurt
I agree. Using for Hilton resort properties is best if you can use them that year. Else RCI deposit- though it cost fees, gives enough weeks of vacation. HH points is least number of days option. As each days will cost about 30000 HH point. So in order of best use the order is 1,3,2. Correct?

CarlosRobayo23

TUG Member
Reaction score
I didn’t know that points can be extended. I have some 2020 saved points that I would like to extend for 2022.

Could you confirm what is the fee to do this?

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
I didn’t know that points can be extended. I have some 2020 saved points that I would like to extend for 2022.

Could you confirm what is the fee to do this?

Club points are only allowed to be saved for 1 year. Your saved 2020 points can't be saved into 2022. The ability to extend saved 2019 points into 2021 was a one-time thing because of COVID. My guess is they won't allow that this year. Your only options for extending those points would be to convert to HHonors or deposit into RCI.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
The best option is to "save" current-year points to the next following year.
That way you have full-use of the points, and keep the RCI deposit option.

However, if you book a RCI stay for a future year...
Current-year points are used first, and future-year's points are used second.
Thus, you can "soak up" current-year points without paying a fee.

prajora

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, RCI points
The best option is to "save" current-year points to the next following year.
That way you have full-use of the points, and keep the RCI deposit option.

However, if you book a RCI stay for a future year...
Current-year points are used first, and future-year's points are used second.
Thus, you can "soak up" current-year points without paying a fee.
Does any one think Hilton Honor points are worth much? They give you so few days of stay in Hilton hotels not resorts. Looking for opnions. Thx

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo

Wright17s

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite Premier: Valdoro, Sunrise Lodge, Trump, Paradise
Does any one think Hilton Honor points are worth much? They give you so few days of stay in Hilton hotels not resorts. Looking for opnions. Thx
It really depends as there are so many options ( i.e. standard vs. preferred rooms, Hampton Inn stay in the suburbs vs. Conrad in the city )... with the 5th night free you can stretch the value of Hilton points a bit, but in my opinion accruing Hilton points via nightly hotel stays and their credit card is a much better way than converting from HGVC, which I would never recommend.

The Points Guy values Hilton Honor points at $0.006/point ( ref: https://thepointsguy.com/guide/monthly-valuations/ ).

TPG also has a really good blog on maximizing the value of Hilton Honor points: https://thepointsguy.com/guide/maximizing-redemptions-hilton-honors/

Last edited:

prajora

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, RCI points
No. I put ~25K HH points = ~$100.
7000 HGVC points get 2 weeks in Hawaii. Some resorts. Can the conversion of all to HH points get 2 weeks in a Hilton hotel at a reasonable location? Possibly not. So on the weekly stay basis both HGVC points and RCI points go farther.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
IMO, it is best to use HGVC points for HGVC stays.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
The Points Guy values Hilton Honor points at $0.06/point
I think that you mean 0.6¢ or $0.006/point. I don't have a problem with that number.

Wright17s

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I think that you mean 0.6¢ or $0.006/point. I don't have a problem with that number.
Yes, thanks! I've updated above to avoid any confusion.

Wright17s

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Could you explain what is meant by 6cents for buying points? Not sure how it works? Thx
The 0.6¢ is just a general valuation of their (Hilton Honor points) monetary value, given loads of assumptions, etc. It's not meant to infer anything about buying HH points.

prajora

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, RCI points
The 0.6¢ is just a general valuation of their (Hilton Honor points) monetary value, given loads of assumptions, etc. It's not meant to infer anything about buying HH points.
So if I have say 250K HH points, it is worth about $1500 of Hilton stay.Correct?

JohnPaul

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
So if I have say 250K HH points, it is worth about $1500 of Hilton stay.Correct?
In my opinion it all depends on how you use them. For example, I get much more value (comparative cash rates) using my Marriott points at Ritz Carlton. I can get a $700 stay for 60,000 points vs using 40,000 points for a $250 stay.

I realize I’m showing Marriott vs Hilton but same difference. Depends on how you use it.

Wright17s

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
In my opinion it all depends on how you use them. For example, I get much more value (comparative cash rates) using my Marriott points at Ritz Carlton. I can get a $700 stay for 60,000 points vs using 40,000 points for a $250 stay.

I realize I’m showing Marriott vs Hilton but same difference. Depends on how you use it.
I agree with @JohnPaul, it definitely depends on how you use them. I always book 5 nights at Hilton hotels because if you book with points the 5th night is free ( so 5 nights for the same points as 4 ). Also depends on room type, and chain ( Hampton Inn, Hilton Garden Inn, Conrad, Waldorf Astoria, etc. ) within the broader Hilton umbrella.

But if you're trying to boil it down to a really simple calculation, then per the valuation article I referenced above, 250k HH points would be valued at ~$1500.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score

The average is about $0.004 - $0.006/point. It depends on where you want to stay. You can get "outsized" value for say the Maldives resorts where you'd otherwise spend $500/night, but there's no "set" value per se. I find TPG to be very "high" in their valuations vs. OMAAT. If you want to "average" it at $0.005/point you're in the middle, but again, it depends on where you want to stay, WHEN, and for how long.

BingoBangoBongo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Elara, Kings Land, Valdoro Mountain, the District
I’d put the value at $1250, based on $.005 per point. Thats the price I’ve bought points from Hilton for over the past few years during their bonus promotions. It’s not that the points hold that value when trying to make a reservation, but a yardstick to use when comparing using points to paying cash. With 250,000 points I would look for a 5 night free redemption at a property with rooms up to 60,000/night. You do need to be at least a Silver member to book a 5th Night Free Stay.

Last edited:

prajora

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, RCI points
I’d put the value at $1250, based on $.005 per point. Thats the price I’ve bought points from Hilton for over the past few years during their bonus promotions. It’s not that the points hold that value when trying to make a reservation, but a yardstick to use when comparing using points to paying cash. With 250,000 points I would look for a 5 night free redemption at a property with rooms up to 60,000/night. You do need to be at least a Silver member to book a 5th Night Free Stay.
Seems the best way is to use HGVC points within the time period before they expire. Else convert them to RCI so you get some more time to use them. Both give resort like experience- kitchen etc and week long stays.
If all else is not possible, convert to HH points, so they are worth something. HH may not maxmize the number of hotel days, also no kitchen also many times.
Am I right in my inference?

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
Seems the best way is to use HGVC points within the time period before they expire. Else convert them to RCI so you get some more time to use them. Both give resort like experience- kitchen etc and week long stays.
If all else is not possible, convert to HH points, so they are worth something. HH may not maxmize the number of hotel days, also no kitchen also many times.
Am I right in my inference?

I agree with your inferences.