• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

HGV Max - Diamond Integration Discussion in Owner Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I noticed that, when I called C/S (about an RCI issue), the list of buttons to press puts DRI members #1, before HGV members. Perhaps they're trying to divert them from regular HGV staff, but even so, I was a bit miffed.

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
Having watched South Park: Post CoVid, the only thing funnier would be if they have a HVC Max Plus elite program

BingoBangoBongo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Elara, Kings Land, Valdoro Mountain, the District
Sat through an update this morning and initially the discussion leaned towards the benefits of being Elite (which doesn‘t really appeal to us) then moved on to Max. Was offered a 1600 pt EOY deed at an Orlando property for around $8000 with an MF just under $800. There really weren’t any specifics on how Max would work, just that we would have access to Diamond properties. Offered a couple of other locations with a higher buy in, but I’m really not interested in jumping in the Max pool without any idea on fees/timeframes. The Sales Center was very busy so we were out in the promised time.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Having watched South Park...

"Max" reminds me of the '60s TV show, "Get Smart."
Perhaps someone at HGV has a sense of humor (not).
A better name would be "HGV Min."

Last edited:

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
@Talent312 Ha Ha. Now I can visualize an advertisement with HGV Max with a shoe phone to his ear. Well at least you can now Get Smart by avoiding HGV Max! :D

Mowogo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview at Las Vegas; HGVC on Paradise; Bay Club at Waikoloa; Vacation Village Williamsburg; Sheraton Flex
@Talent312 Ha Ha. Now I can visualize an advertisement with HGV Max with a shoe phone to his ear. Well at least you can now Get Smart by avoiding HGV Max! :D
They junk things too much and I'll happily dump my HGV properties to be safe from HGV Max, especially since Elite Vistana membership is already in the family.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Sat through an update this morning and initially the discussion leaned towards the benefits of being Elite (which doesn‘t really appeal to us) then moved on to Max. Was offered a 1600 pt EOY deed at an Orlando property for around $8000 with an MF just under $800. There really weren’t any specifics on how Max would work, just that we would have access to Diamond properties. Offered a couple of other locations with a higher buy in, but I’m really not interested in jumping in the Max pool without any idea on fees/timeframes. The Sales Center was very busy so we were out in the promised time.
nope, no way I would own one of those dog 1600 point contracts, not even as a ticket to Max!

Sent from my Lenovo 10e using Tapatalk

Gwendyc

TUG Member
Reaction score
nope, no way I would own one of those dog 1600 point contracts, not even as a ticket to Max!

They offered us the same thing in FL, except I was thinking it was more like $7000 with $900 MF. No mention of Max, though they did refer to my points as "restricted." I was like, I'm doing fine with the restrictions and I will take my chances with the resale market.

BingoBangoBongo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Yeah I calculated the MF at north of $.45/point and the $8k is half of what I paid for 23,000 points a year resale. From what I’ve seen, I still believe there will be some type initiation fee or additional yearly Club Dues for Max that haven’t been defined yet. I refuse to buy something with no documented policies/costs. It’s kind of ironic but our next stay starts on 4/2 and I’m sure we‘ll get another invite with a similar offer, but hopefully by that time (supposed launch on 4/1) more details are publicly available.

Mowogo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview at Las Vegas; HGVC on Paradise; Bay Club at Waikoloa; Vacation Village Williamsburg; Sheraton Flex
Aha...So HGV Max is how they are dumping those valueless properties...People say "I want the cheapest way into the program..."
Scare people into purchases in hopes they can get into the new program. It has worked with quite a few people in Vistana, so sales would of course do that here. They make my holdings too much of a second class holding, then I have no problems flipping my holdings over to Wyndham or increase my holdings in Vistana/MVW.

BingoBangoBongo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Aha...So HGV Max is how they are dumping those valueless properties...People say "I want the cheapest way into the program..."

And the rep claimed that the $5/pt was a special price, even though it was an EOY deed. So the deal I was offered was for 800 points/year for an $8000 buy in. My math has that at $10/point.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
And the rep claimed that the $5/pt was a special price, even though it was an EOY deed. So the deal I was offered was for 800 points/year for an $8000 buy in. My math has that at $10/point.

Plus you have an albatross deed around your neck when it comes to exit. No Thank you.

Scare people into purchases in hopes they can get into the new program. It has worked with quite a few people in Vistana, so sales would of course do that here. They make my holdings too much of a second class holding, then I have no problems flipping my holdings over to Wyndham or increase my holdings in Vistana/MVW.

Or pay $0 and enjoy what you already own. Use the money to rent or buy resale.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
I think I’ll just stay away from the sales floor until something official is announced, and even then, only go if there’s a simple solution like a joiner fee and that fee is reasonable, then maybe.

Last edited:

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
I think I’ll just stay away from the sales floor until something official is announced, and even then, only go if there’s a simple solution like a joiner fee and that fee is reasonable, then maybe.

When something official is announced, I will independently research it, and if I want to buy it call on the phone and make the purchase. If something (that I pay for) requires a trip to the sales floor, I don't want it.

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinion Pointe, HGVC The Bay Club, HGVC Elara, Worldmark
It’s early on, and we don’t know what it will look like in its final form, but one thing should be obvious, it will be a substantial cost regardless of what you currently have. I just hope the Diamond culture doesn’t poison HGV.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
I hope Hilton leaves DRI alone.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
I hope Hilton leaves DRI alone.

No doubt both Hilton and DRI owners will have the option to remain just the way they are. It’s only the sales staff that will tell you things have changed and you must spend thousands more, just to keep what you already own.

As time moves on, all things timeshare change. DRI was once Sunterra, Sunterra was once all deeded weeks, Sunterra once only exchanged through II without THE Club. I’ve gone from our original deeded fixed week to floating weeks to points to trust ownership. Everything changes. Nothing remains the same. At the end of the day, if I had wanted to keep that original deeded/fixed week with all it’s original usage options, I would still have it and nothing would have changed with its usage, despite the entirety of the timeshare landscape changing around us.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
No doubt both Hilton and DRI owners will have the option to remain just the way they are. It’s only the sales staff that will tell you things have changed and you must spend thousands more, just to keep what you already own.

As time moves on, all things timeshare change. DRI was once Sunterra, Sunterra was once all deeded weeks, Sunterra once only exchanged through II without THE Club. I’ve gone from our original deeded fixed week to floating weeks to points to trust ownership. Everything changes. Nothing remains the same. At the end of the day, if I had wanted to keep that original deeded/fixed week with all it’s original usage options, I would still have it and nothing would have changed with its usage, despite the entirety of the timeshare landscape changing around us.

Great post. Mark Wang has said that there will be no disruptions in purchased rights. I am in the minority that I won't go to any presentations. I could care less what salesman has to say. Just like buying a car. If I want to buy a car, I research what I want, research the price, take a test drive and buy it.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
It will change... Soon, everything DRI will have a HGV sign on it.
But as said, you can always keep + use what you own.
-----------------
A TS sales-weasel once tried to get me to convert a TS week to points.
He said, "Weeks are disappearing. Soon, everything will be in points."
But first, I'd need to buy a "new" TS from them, to trade in my old one.

I replied, "My week will not disappear. We use the week we own here
every friggin' year -- it's like an annual pilgrimage to Mecca, so no...
We have no use for points."

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinion Pointe, HGVC The Bay Club, HGVC Elara, Worldmark
-----------------

Hilton is very protective of their brand. Nothing will get the flag until it meets their brand standards.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
-----------------

If all that changes is the signs, no one will really care. I bet the little soaps and shampoo bottles will lose the DRI logo as well.

Over time, the only thing that’s changed is the addition of more options, which in turn gives the the sales weasels something to lie about. The thing is, your original usage options never change. If you own a fixed week deeded timeshare that you never exchange and use every year, you still get to use it as outlined in the contract/deed, but you’re a unicorn in the timeshare world. My bet is less than 1% of all timeshare owners return to their home resort on the exact same date every year. A larger percentage may stay at their home resort every year, but float the week to a different time each year within their season.

As time has gone on our vacation needs have changed. It use to be we went to Las Vegas 4 x year. One week was always on my wife’s birthday. We did that for several years before changing, but we did change. For the last 10 years or so we’ve gone to the same resort in Florida the first week of December. This year that will change also.

Original deeds always remain the same and will until the owner of that deed decides there is something better and decides to make a change. DRI contracted usage and HGVC contracted usage won’t change unless you want to opt into the new option. There’s no need to panic, just because sales staff wants you to panic and spend thousands of dollars more.

As for us we’ll listen to the offer. We’d like the option to reserve DRI units under two conditions. The price to buy that option is reasonable and the option to reserve that pool of resorts looks good enough that I be,I’ve we have a real chance to get the week we want. If those two conditions aren’t met (high price or short booking window of 6 months or less), we’ll keep our money in our pocket and use our HGVC ownership just like we have for the last 20 years.

Last edited:

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
We travel to Williamsburg three times per year to the Marriott's Manor Club. If Hilton Vacation Club upgrade their Greensprings Resort and The Historic Powhatan Resort in Williamsburg, VA; plus their timeshare resorts in Virginia Beach.

The whole timeshare industry is going to change in Virginia in their favor. Hilton Vacation Club have four timeshares resorts located in Virginia Beach, VA. Plus, three of these timeshare resorts are located on the beach.

The Hilton timeshares (formerly Diamond Resorts )in Virginia Beach, already all built and look liked luxury hotels.

Hilton will only needs to improve the interior and upgrade the rooms furnituring, televisions, linen, soap and carpet .
Plus, hired good management staff and maintenance staff to maintain their properties to Hilton higher standards. IMHO.

There are no Marriott's timeshares in Virginia Beach, VA.
This a win-win for Hilton Vacation Club. IMHO.

There are no Marriott's timeshares in Nage Head (OBX), NC.
There is now a nice Hilton timeshare in Nage Head (OBX),NC.
It is called The Beachwood Resort located in Kitty Hawk,NC in the Nage Head area of North Carolina.

Last edited:

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
I am a Northern Virginian, and this is certainly something I am watching.

I don’t expect the Williamsburg timeshares will be hard to get in. There is a glut of perfectly good time shares (my opinion) there now.

I hope the Virginia Beach and Outer Banks options are a big gain out of the merger. But I am skeptical there will be much availability for good summer weeks. I assume those in the DRI system now will still get first dibs. How hard are the prime VA Beach weeks and Outer Banks weeks to book now in DRI if anyone in DRI can share?

We travel to Williamsburg three times per year to the Marriott's Manor Club. If Hilton Vacation Club upgrade their Greensprings Resort and The Historic Powhatan Resort in Williamsburg, VA; plus their timeshare resorts in Virginia Beach.

The whole timeshare industry is going to change in Virginia in their favor. Hilton Vacation Club have four timeshares resorts located in Virginia Beach,qVA. Plus, three of these timeshare resorts are located on the beach.

The Hilton timeshares (formerly Diamond Resorts )in Virginia Beach, already all built and look liked luxury hotels.

Hilton will only needs to improve the interior and upgrade the rooms furnituring, televisions, linen, soap and carpet .
Plus, hired good management staff and maintenance staff to maintain their properties to Hilton higher standards. IMHO.

There are no Marriott's timeshares in Virginia Beach, VA.
This a win-win for Hilton Vacation Club. IMHO.

There no Marriott's timeshares in Nage Head (OBX), NC.
There is now a nice Hilton timeshare in Nage Head (OBX),NC.
It is called The Beachwood Resort located in Kitty Hawk,NC in the Nage Head area of North Carolina.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good summer weeks in OBX are hard to rent right now for hotels, private homes and resorts in OBX.

The Beachwood Resort is the largest timeshare resort in OBX. That should be a big plus for Hilton Vacation Club. IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.