• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Here is the number 82%

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
In order for COVID-19 to stop spreading 82% of the population will have to have immunity. :(

The scientists at Los Alamos took the data from China and came to the following conclusions:
  • Virus passed from 1 to another between 2.3 to 3.3 days (it was thought to be 6)
  • 82% of people would need to be immune to stop spreading
  • Each carrier actually infected an average of 5.7 people (it was thought to be 2-3)
This virus is a prolific spreader.

Given that there are three strains, I wonder how effective a vaccine will be. This is a nightmare.:eek:

High Contagiousness and Rapid Spread of Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus 2

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
In order for COVID-19 to stop spreading 82% of the population will have to have immunity. :(

The scientists at Los Alamos took the data from China and came to the following conclusions:
  • Virus passed from 1 to another between 2.3 to 3.3 days (it was thought to be 6)
  • Each carrier actually infected an average of 5.7 people (it was thought to be 2-3)

Given that there are three strains, I wonder how effective a vaccine will be. This is a nightmare.:eek:

High Contagiousness and Rapid Spread of Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus 2
The analysis is only as good as the data provided. Since the data is taken from China we still don’t know.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm a statistician by occupation. I admire the effort that people put into posts /arguments / analysis but it is so easy to poke holes at them. They are like political arguments - you can use them to bolster your own POV, but they can rarely be used to change someone's minds.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
From the report:
Results show that quarantine and contact tracing of symptomatic persons can be effective when the fraction of unidentified persons is low. However, when 20% of transmission is driven by unidentified infected persons, high levels of social distancing efforts will be needed to contain the virus (Figure 6), highlighting the importance of early and effective surveillance, contact tracing, and quarantine. Future field, laboratory, and modeling studies aimed to address the unknowns, such as the fraction of asymptomatic persons, the extent of their transmissibility depending on symptom severity, the time when persons become infectious, and the existence of superspreaders are needed to accurately predict the impact of various control strategies (20).​

At this point we are still flying blind. The current test:
  • Takes too long
  • Requires a skilled clinician to collect the sample
  • Has a high false negative rate
To get out of lock-down mode we need a test where we can quickly identify infections and use contact tracing as a surgical strike for quarantine efforts. We also need an antibody test to determine what percentage of the population has been infected.

SARS was controlled because it presented itself with a fever during contagion. COVID-19 did not in all cases.

Being an engineer, you can't control anything until you can accurately measure it.

Last edited:

R.J.C.

unconfirmed
Reaction score
From the report:
Results show that quarantine and contact tracing of symptomatic persons can be effective when the fraction of unidentified persons is low. However, when 20% of transmission is driven by unidentified infected persons, high levels of social distancing efforts will be needed to contain the virus (Figure 6), highlighting the importance of early and effective surveillance, contact tracing, and quarantine. Future field, laboratory, and modeling studies aimed to address the unknowns, such as the fraction of asymptomatic persons, the extent of their transmissibility depending on symptom severity, the time when persons become infectious, and the existence of superspreaders are needed to accurately predict the impact of various control strategies (20).​

At this point we are still flying blind. The current test:
  • Takes too long
  • Requires a skilled clinician to collect the sample
  • Has a high false negative rate
To get out of lock-down mode we need a test where we can quickly identify infections and use contact tracing as a surgical strike for quarantine efforts. We also need an antibody test to determine what percentage of the population has been infected.

SARS was controlled because it presented itself with a fever during contagion. COVID-19 did not in all cases.

Or we can just it do it's thing and achieve the immunity rate needed to not care about it anymore.

• Angry
Reactions: DrQ

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Or we can just it do it's thing and achieve the immunity rate needed to not care about it anymore.
At the cost of how many lives? Are you volunteering to get infected, roll the dice ... your family? Planning on moving to New York are you?

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score

I have only one problem with this data it came from China. Is it factual data ? Can we trust China? I have seen photos of the infected City in China.
Are the photos stage or are these the actual living conditions right now in China. The city is very clean, with very little bicycle traffic, foot and automobile traffic.
Where are the photos of those fresh markets selling chickens, bats, meats and veggies to the public?

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This has got to take the cake of one of the most callous remarks I've seen in this community. Just taking NY city as an example of "just let it do it's (sic) thing":
NY.png

Just look at the shortage of beds. I hope you don't have a serious medical issue, because you are SOL. (Yes I know now they will put you up in the convention center, maybe. Imagine this situation nationwide. My DW has a coworker who's mother has fallen and is lying at home with a possible broken bone, but they will not even do an Xray because it is not life threatening.

Going to blame the American medical system, well here is Russia:
27095484-8211727-image-a-35_1586686604191.jpg

These ambulances were queue up for 15 hours to deliver patients in Moscow.

You remind me of the COVIdiot spring breakers that decided to Party-On because only "old people got sick and died".

Yes, like the Spanish Flu, the human race will survive, it is just a matter of how much suffering we will have to endure.

R.J.C.

unconfirmed
Reaction score
At the cost of how many lives? Are you volunteering to get infected, roll the dice ... your family? Planning on moving to New York are you?

Who in their right mind would move to NY, with or without the virus? You seem to think the lives of those who I don't know matter to me. If I get infected, hell, I may already be, who knows, but if I get infected, that is a risk I took and I will live with the consequences of my actions. That being said, people are sh**ing themselves over a 1.5% death rate and a less than 20% infection rate.

R.J.C.

unconfirmed
Reaction score
Yes, like the Spanish Flu, the human race will survive, it is just a matter of how much suffering we will have to endure.

You yourself said it. The human race will survive. None of us individually are that special including myself. I just don't create hyperbole over the matter or pee myself when someone says the word "Coronavirus". Whether you think I am callous or not because of my beliefs matters little (none actually) to me.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have only one problem with this data it came from China. Is it factual data ? Can we trust China? I have seen photos of the infected City in China.
Are the photos stage or are these the actual living conditions right now in China. The city is very clean, with very little bicycle traffic, foot and automobile traffic.
Where are the photos of those fresh markets selling chickens, bats, meats and veggies to the public?
The numbers as they are currently are scary. I will bet that China is NOT hiding BETTER numbers. We also are gathering data sets from here and Europe which will allow for correlation.

As I said in a prior post, measurement is key along with aggressive contact tracing.