• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

HELP! "Upgraded @ Massanutten and want to rescind!

Pyrodjm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Basically, I got sold a load of crap and want out. How long to I have to do it? I'm still on the property and would rather deal with this unpleasantness from home on Monday. But if I don't have that long I will do it this week. How long do I have to get out of this, I bought Monday? Who do I call the resort lone officer? The lying witch that showed me around? Someone else? Thank you guys for all of the info on this site!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
You don't want to call anyone - if you do, they will do their best to talk you out of rescinding - it will be even more miserable than the sales presentation. Rescinding by mail will be much simpler - and then you won't have to go through another ordeal!

The first thing you need to do is sit down and comb through your sales packet and find the directions for rescinding. Then you need to follow the directions EXACTLY. You most likely have at least 5 days to rescind, but check the paperwork!

Here is and article about rescinding. I wrote it for another resort, but everything else applies to you.

Last edited:

Pyrodjm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks found the info in the packet. It says I have to mail a letter within 7 days. So I will put it in the mail first thing Monday. I feel so much better.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Thanks found the info in the packet. It says I have to mail a letter within 7 days. So I will put it in the mail first thing Monday. I feel so much better.

Great! Did you have a chance to read the article I posted for more info.?

Tommart

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Rescind

Pyrodim,

Yes. rescind, and the Virginia law is clearly stated in the documentation. Make sure that the letter is sent certified.

If you're still interested in buying, check out the TUG ads, ebay, and other sites.

I own two weeks at Woodstone. The first I bought from the developer, the second I bought through resale. I wish I would have rescinded the original purchase, but I was happy with my original purchase for 3-4 years until we decided we wanted to move up from a Casa to Luxury unit. In doing research, I soon discovered that I overpaid. I guess I'm a slow learner.

Still, we love Massanutten, and it hasn't gotten old for us.

Tom

Michael

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't wait until Monday

If you bought on Monday, I would not cut it that close by waiting until next Monday. JMHO.

- Michael

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Do not wait until Monday. It would be hilarious if you mailed it from their own property. But unless it is a USPS box, I would not leave it on an outgoing mail desk. Find a legitimate box today.

Pyrodjm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Seems like I'd need to find a post office around here though, since it needs to be certified. I'm looking into it.

Pyrodjm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Eh, it's a lot of trouble for me to make the copies and get to a post office here. The contract states that I have seven days to get it post marked and if the seventh day falls on a Sunday or holiday, we have until the following day. Last Monday was the 24th, next is the 31st. I'll be fine. I'd rather this not eat up any more of my vacation.

I read the info you link Denise and will be copying that letter thanks.

teepeeca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Eh, it's a lot of trouble for me to make the copies and get to a post office here. The contract states that I have seven days to get it post marked and if the seventh day falls on a Sunday or holiday, we have until the following day. Last Monday was the 24th, next is the 31st. I'll be fine. I'd rather this not eat up any more of my vacation.

I "WOULD NOT" wait until you get home---things can happen. AND, just "how much time" does it take to go to a post office??? "IF" you received any "materials" [not including the gift(s) you got for attending the sales presentation], those will probably have to be returned, or, they will charge you a hefty fee for them.

I am assuming that you don't want to "face" the sales/marketing team, but it would be simple to just write on two separate pieces of paper that you are rescinding the contract (number); dated; between; received by(authorized person to accept the rescind letter); on (date); your printed name(s) and signature(s); their printed name and signature.

You keep a completed form, and they keep one. A very simple process---will take less than 5 minutes; you will have rescinded; and you will have returned all of their materials.

Tony

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score

Rescind today ... Could have, would have, should have are phrases of regret and having to live with an expensive purchase which you will HATE so much more than the two hours lost during this vacation to cancel.

Both parties must sign the rescind, if you brought it together.

Maybe next time you will skip the freebies that the sales department uses as their hooks for attending a 90 minute meeting.

Numismatist

TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't wait, you think your vacation will be ruined by taking the time now, what if you 'fail' the rescind - that's more than your vacation ruined.:bawl:

Do it now.

markel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do it Now !!

I agree with the others. I'd take the time NOW to take care of this. Personally, even if it took me half a day to do it (which is a stretch I realize) I would be able to enjoy my vacation much much more.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
I agree---go now--find a kinkos, staples, public library and go make copies and get to the post office either today or in the AM----it is crazy to wait until you get home. You are not in a remote village in the middle of nowhere. If you want to risk it, go ahead---but I would not.

llenod

Reaction score
Basically, I got sold a load of crap and want out. How long to I have to do it? I'm still on the property and would rather deal with this unpleasantness from home on Monday. But if I don't have that long I will do it this week. How long do I have to get out of this, I bought Monday? Who do I call the resort lone officer? The lying witch that showed me around? Someone else? Thank you guys for all of the info on this site!

I purchased from the developer too. I did want to rescind but my wife liked the unit and the week, and it was only 5k, so its not a huge deal for us. But we did buy some of the crap they told us. There is a business center on property that you can use a pc and printer. You can then go to the post office in Elkton and mail it certified. Thats all you have to do. They are required to refund your deposit.

The good thing about Massanutten, is even if you don't rescind you can do a deed back and they will let you out of the contract without harming your credit.

I am just curious as to what unit you bought/upgaded and how much was it? Also, what were some of the lies the salesperson told you. I was told several, resale units won't be tradeable through RCI, Mass was going to 20 year leases.

Pyrodjm

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am just curious as to what unit you bought/upgaded and how much was it? Also, what were some of the lies the salesperson told you. I was told several, resale units won't be tradeable through RCI, Mass was going to 20 year leases.

Yup, those are the two that they told us too. :annoyed: We upgraded to Summit for more than I want to share. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

After a day at the water park, I feel much better and I will hit the Business Center and Post Office tomorrow. It shouldn't take long at all. If they want the rest of that crap back, I'll put them it in a Flat rate envelope and mail it. I didn't know that there was a place to print in the resort, make things much easier to do while here. Thanks every one!

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have hand written at least five rescind with/for friends - most Post Offices have copy machines. I have even had the Front Desk make photo copies of the rescind letters for free & given me free envelopes to mail the letters in. ;)

Of course, you can buy a stamp envelope at the post office, too.

Tommart

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Handwritten

Pyrodjm,
I know that you don't want to go back to the sales office again, but you have another option...

Virginia law gives you two options: 1. sending a certified letter, or 2. hand delivering a letter.

I helped a couple handwrite two copies of their rescind memo. They took both to the sales receptionist, delivered one, and had someone sign the other that they received the letter and this is a copy of the original that they kept for their files.

They said it went real fast and everyone was polite, and they didn't call a salesman.

And we actually used the back of two pages from the purchase package for the memos.

TimeshareTraveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen ShoreCrest,
Massanutten Summit,
Eagle Point,
Pyrodjm,
We just went through the sales pitch at Massanutten. We own one that we've had for years --overpaid to the developer too. But we've used it and made it work out for us. Still too much money. (I'll also tell you that we do love Massanutten and go there every single year and sometimes multiple times in a year. It's close and works as a retreat for us. But it was a lot of money to get caught in.)

The deal they offered us was a Woodstone Luxury week 52 every year for $32,990. This was supposedly the difference between the "real" cost and the balance. It's not --that's the developer price for the unit, of course.

We passed on it and they offered us an Every Other Year ownership of it for $21,990 with an upgrade to a full annual week possible later for $11,000 more. The upgrade wouldn't be week 52 though since they wouldn't have it. It would be "something comparable."

We passed on it and they offered us a week 52 annual in the Shenandoah Villas in Killy Court unit for $6,000. Those units are a basic rating --not Gold Crown, Silver Crown or even RID. These units were used to lure people in to purchase and originally this is the unit we bought 14 years ago for $15,990. We upgraded the next year to a Summit because I could see it wasn't going to work out for us. We did tour the unit, and I have to say the SVKC units look tired these days.

Please don't just mail your rescind in by regular mail. Things get "lost". Instead, spend the time to send it certified mail return receipt requested. Make sure that you get that in the timeframe specified. Otherwise, you are going to lose your deposit.

Last edited:

Pyrodjm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to let you all know that I mailed in the letter to cancel the contract today from the Mcgaheysville post office. It was sent certified with return receipt. I followed the directions to cancel outlined in the contract. So it's done, lesson learned. I'll be watching eBay to snag a 2br in Summit or Woodstone eventually.;)

llenod

Reaction score
Just wanted to let you all know that I mailed in the letter to cancel the contract today from the Mcgaheysville post office. It was sent certified with return receipt. I followed the directions to cancel outlined in the contract. So it's done, lesson learned. I'll be watching eBay to snag a 2br in Summit or Woodstone eventually.;)

You should look for a 4br lockout unit. Its the same MF's and you can split the unit. They go for around 2500 on ebay

David Llanos

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Massanuthen
I purchased from the developer too. I did want to rescind but my wife liked the unit and the week, and it was only 5k, so its not a huge deal for us. But we did buy some of the crap they told us. There is a business center on property that you can use a pc and printer. You can then go to the post office in Elkton and mail it certified. Thats all you have to do. They are required to refund your deposit.

The good thing about Massanutten, is even if you don't rescind you can do a deed back and they will let you out of the contract without harming your credit.

Can you please guide me on how to cancel my timeshare at massanuthen resort

LaFaraona

Reaction score
Rescind

Pyrodim,

Yes. rescind, and the Virginia law is clearly stated in the documentation. Make sure that the letter is sent certified.

If you're still interested in buying, check out the TUG ads, ebay, and other sites.

I own two weeks at Woodstone. The first I bought from the developer, the second I bought through resale. I wish I would have rescinded the original purchase, but I was happy with my original purchase for 3-4 years until we decided we wanted to move up from a Casa to Luxury unit. In doing research, I soon discovered that I overpaid. I guess I'm a slow learner.

Still, we love Massanutten, and it hasn't gotten old for us.

Tom
Hi Tom

I know this is an old post, however; I hope you read it and can answer my question....

If I get a 4 bd unit at Massanutten The Summit, will they allow me to split the unit directly with them or I will be stuck to use the 4 bd in just one week?

Thank You