• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Help needed to cancel

SilverGreen

Reaction score
We just purchased Sheraton Flex plan on Sunday 13th in Florida and want to properly cancel it within 10 day time frame. Do we need to mail anything else besides handwritten letter to the address in the contract?

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
We just purchased Sheraton Flex plan on Sunday 13th in Florida and want to properly cancel it within 10 day time frame. Do we need to mail anything else besides handwritten letter to the address in the contract?

Send it ONLY using USPS "Certified Mail" and be very sure to retain the mailing receipt which contains the tracking number.

Also, be sure that whoever signed the original purchase contract also signs the rescission paperwork.

@Grammarhero tracks the savings you realized; how much was the purchase price?

Sit back, relax, and be patient. It may take as long as 45 days before you get your refund. Remember, they don't need to let you know that they received your paperwork, but they do need to act on it.

Congratulations of your decision to rescind. You can buy something resale for just pennies on the dollar!

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Did you get any other freebies or gifts for buying. Such as a tablet or something else? If so, send that back in a separate package.

Congrats on the decision to rescind. Sheraton Flex is a real bad deal in most respects. Curious who your sales rep at SVV or were you at SVR?

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Send it ONLY using USPS "Certified Mail" and be very sure to retain the mailing receipt which contains the tracking number.

Also, be sure that whoever signed the original purchase contract also signs the rescission paperwork.

^^^^^ This. And congratulations on saving a bucketful of money.

SilverGreen

Reaction score
Did you get any other freebies or gifts for buying. Such as a tablet or something else? If so, send that back in a separate package.

Congrats on the decision to rescind. Sheraton Flex is a real bad deal in most respects. Curious who your sales rep at SVV or were you at SVR?
We got a $150 gift card and a tablet.

SilverGreen

Reaction score

@Grammarhero tracks the savings you realized; how much was the purchase price?

Sit back, relax, and be patient. It may take as long as 45 days before you get your refund. Remember, they don't need to let you know that they received your paperwork, but they do need to act on it.

Congratulations of your decision to rescind. You can buy something resale for just pennies on the dollar!

PP was $12,120 plus closing costs of $850 or somewhere around that

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
@SilverGreen Congrats on missing a bullet and rescinding. Come back to TUG and learn about resales if you are still interested. But take your time and research. Perhaps rent for a while to see what resort you like. The resorts are great. Sales not so much. Stay away from them.

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
@SilverGreen Congrats on missing a bullet and rescinding. Come back to TUG and learn about resales if you are still interested. But take your time and research. Perhaps rent for a while to see what resort you like. The resorts are great. Sales not so much. Stay away from them.

The sales department is not your friend. A fount of lies and disinformation.

@CalGalTraveler gives excellent advice -- both on learning about the resale market and about renting first. Renting is a great way to learn what is important to you (location, size of unit, quality level, view, season, price, etc.) without making a financial commitment. It is far easier to buy these things than to sell them, so it behooves us all to buy wisely.

But your first step is to make certain to send your rescission letter correctly and timely.

SilverGreen

Reaction score
The sales department is not your friend. A fount of lies and disinformation.

@CalGalTraveler gives excellent advice -- both on learning about the resale market and about renting first. Renting is a great way to learn what is important to you (location, size of unit, quality level, view, season, price, etc.) without making a financial commitment. It is far easier to buy these things than to sell them, so it behooves us all to buy wisely.

But your first step is to make certain to send your rescission letter correctly and timely.
Just mailed the letter via usps certified mail with return confirmation. Letter listed all contract information and both mine ans my husbands signatures with dates. Also called Sheraton vacation club and told them we are cancelling and they made a note to look for the letter in the mail. Also went to the office location since we are still in the area but all of the employees are working from home. Seems like I did everything I could.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Just mailed the letter via usps certified mail with return confirmation. Letter listed all contract information and both mine ans my husbands signatures with dates. Also called Sheraton vacation club and told them we are cancelling and they made a note to look for the letter in the mail. Also went to the office location since we are still in the area but all of the employees are working from home. Seems like I did everything I could.
@Grammarhero

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
If the $150 gift card and/or the tablet was the incentive offered to you for going to the sales presentation, that is yours to keep. You fulfilled your obligation by attending the presentation. If the tablet was something given only to purchasers, send it back by the cheapest method possible.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
If the $150 gift card and/or the tablet was the incentive offered to you for going to the sales presentation, that is yours to keep. You fulfilled your obligation by attending the presentation. If the tablet was something given only to purchasers, send it back by the cheapest method possible.
Yeah, the $150 was likely a gift to attend and doesn't need to be returned. Never heard of them giving out tablets as a presentation incentive, so that had to be a gift for purchase and would need to be sent back or they could withhold the value from the refund. The value they say it is worth may be much higher than the actual product value.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score

Go out, buy a couple of beers and celebrate! :cheer::banana::hi:

Avoid the crowds and don't drink too much!

Andrearr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana Villages (Bella) Vistana

that would have been a good idea when I rescinded Sheraton but I didn't send my tablet back. Lol I just sold it to someone else I'm not really into Amazon products anyway. They still canceled it

Andrearr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana Villages (Bella) Vistana
The gift card was probably just for attending the presentation you don't have to send that back but the tablet they gave you because it contained all of the legal documents and paperwork I didn't send mine back FYI and they still rescinded and refunded

Town57

Reaction score
This thread seems to be old but I need help. I sent my termination letter within the 7 day period stated on my contract to cancel. Sent it via certified mail and I have my receipt. Problem is, the package never arrived. It's almost been a month and tracking says it's "still in transit*. It's almost been a month since that last update. I called USPS and made an inquiry and I have no answers. I have proof I sent the letter but if they lost my letter and it never arrived is there anything I can do? I have emails and text messages to the people I signed my contract with stating my desire to cancel, this was only a couple of day after signing. I feel like I did everything I was supposed to And I'm still going to have to pay for this

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
This thread seems to be old but I need help. I sent my termination letter within the 7 day period stated on my contract to cancel. Sent it via certified mail and I have my receipt. Problem is, the package never arrived. It's almost been a month and tracking says it's "still in transit*. It's almost been a month since that last update. I called USPS and made an inquiry and I have no answers. I have proof I sent the letter but if they lost my letter and it never arrived is there anything I can do? I have emails and text messages to the people I signed my contract with stating my desire to cancel, this was only a couple of day after signing. I feel like I did everything I was supposed to And I'm still going to have to pay for this
If you have proof that you sent the rescission letter, and have no desire to use it, don't pay. You didn't say, but I'm suspecting you sent the letter to Mexico? Their mail system (correo) is notoriously awful, and it may NEVER arrive. But as long as you have proof of mailing, they cannot collect anything. You may also NEVER see a refund of what you've already paid. Best dispute it through your credit card.

BTW, the reason this thread is old is because people have been rescinding these for a LONG time.

Jim

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score

If you sent it to a Mexican address then you sent it the incorrect way. If you sent it while in Mexico you also sent it the incorrect way.

REGISTERED MAIL is the only method that is recognized by Postal Authorities all over the world. CERTIFIED MAIL is only of use within the USA (to and from addresses in the United States).

When sending out of the Country you always want to be sure to send rescission paperwork via USPS Registered Mail.

I hope this has a happy ending for you but I wouldn't count on it.

Welcome to TUG.

Town57

Reaction score
If you sent it to a Mexican address then you sent it the incorrect way. If you sent it while in Mexico you also sent it the incorrect way.

REGISTERED MAIL is the only method that is recognized by Postal Authorities all over the world. CERTIFIED MAIL is only of use within the USA (to and from addresses in the United States).

When sending out of the Country you always want to be sure to send rescission paperwork via USPS Registered Mail.

I hope this has a happy ending for you but I wouldn't count on it.

Welcome to TUG.

Thank you. No I actually sent it to their headquarters in Florida and the mail was last in transit in Florida but hasn't had an update since June 26 and I sent it June 18. I sent it exactly as written on my contract

Town57

Reaction score
If you have proof that you sent the rescission letter, and have no desire to use it, don't pay. You didn't say, but I'm suspecting you sent the letter to Mexico? Their mail system (correo) is notoriously awful, and it may NEVER arrive. But as long as you have proof of mailing, they cannot collect anything. You may also NEVER see a refund of what you've already paid. Best dispute it through your credit card.

BTW, the reason this thread is old is because people have been rescinding these for a LONG time.

Jim
Thank you. No I actually sent it to their headquarters in Florida and the mail was last in transit in Florida but hasn't had an update since June 26 and I sent it June 18

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you. No I actually sent it to their headquarters in Florida and the mail was last in transit in Florida but hasn't had an update since June 26 and I sent it June 18. I sent it exactly as written on my contract

You should be fine if you sent it to a USA address in Florida via Certified Mail within the proper time frame (which it sounds like you did).

With that said, your rescission is valid. You can not be responsible for delayed deliveries and your rescission paperwork is valid. Should you need to go to Court then they should rule in your favor (just present everything including the postmarked Certified Receipt).

Personally? I would make copies of everything you initially sent to them, including a copy of your postmarked certified mailing receipt, and ask them to please honor your cancellation request (a Court of Law will force them to honor it but don't go that route if you can avoid it). Again, this duplicate paperwork should be sent via Certified Mail as long as you are sending it in the USA.