• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Help Deciding to join DC or not

vlapinta

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ocean Watch at Grand Dunes
I need help deciding wether to buy into the DC I only have 1 week Gold Ocean Watch. I have read that 1 week owners its not a great deal to buy into DC program. If I buy into DC, do I have to pay the yearly fee even if I dont convert to points that year?
We bought OW when our kids were in grammer school At that time we needed the 2 bedrooms Now they are in college, so we are only using the 1 bedroom for just my husband and I for now. We like to travel off peak. We have no problem going for 5 days, rather than a week.
I like the flexability of being able to check in on whatever day you like and stay as short or as long as you want. I also don't want to miss out on the opportunity of being to buy into the program before the big price increase.
I have a reservation for the first week in May at OW that we are not going to use. I tried renting but am having no luck. I was going to join II to bank the week, but am wondrring if I buy into the DC program can I bank that May week into points this year?
Any suggestions are appreciated
Vicki

bobpark56

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
Like you, we own just a single week. Ours is a 2BR gold week at Grande Vista. FWIW, our trades with our 2BR gold season lock-off have brought us...

2005: 2BR at Marriott Marbella + 1BR at Calif Vac Club-Riverpointe Napa Valley
2006: 1BR at Island Residence Club at Golden Sands (Malta) + studio (very nice) at Sunborn Vacation Club, Finland
2007: 1BR at the Church Street Inn, Charleston + 1BR at The Cove at Yarmouth
2008: 1BR at The Royal Sea Aquarium Resort, Curacao + studio at WorldMark Galena
2009: 1BR at Aruba Ocean Club + studio at Kauai Beach Club
2010: 2BR at SurfWatch
2011: 2BR at Frenchman's Cove, St Thomas
2012: 3BR at Marriott Marbella

I'm not seeing how we would do better than this if we were to join the Destination Club.

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
We were in a similar situation with our kids being grown and out of the house. We bought our one unit resale, so had to pay $1495 to enroll. However, we liked the additional flexibility of being able to trade for DC points as well as Reward Points, which we would not have been able to do. We probably won't trade for Reward Points very often, but will definitely do it. The bottom line is we like the idea of the flexibility. Like you we don't usually like to use a 2 BR when it is just the two of us- it seems like a waste, although we have done it.

If you bought from Marriott the cost to enroll is very reasonable and you get the 800 plus points that you can use within one year. Depending how you use them that could offset your enrollment fee.

I think a key factor to weigh if forget the purchase cost as that is a sunken cost at this point. Would you benefit from having the additional flexibility if you enrolled? If you can lock off your unit, you save on some fees. No exchange fees in II for Marriott to Marriott trades or retrades in the case of unit upgrades.

Good luck with your decision. Enjoy!

mpizza

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you are able to utilize II XYZ two-for-one weeks, members of MDC are able to reserve them for free as there are NO II exchange fees. The yearly MDC dues of $199 cover everything.

For the time being, its a nice perk to take advantage of.

Maria

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
If I buy into DC, do I have to pay the yearly fee even if I dont convert to points that year?

Vicki

You have to pay the yearly fee every year.
It is not just a fee for points.
But you should not have to pay any others fees (other than your MF you pay now).

It covers lock-off, II, trade and Reward conversion fees.

That is why it is pretty easy to decide to do if you own more than one lock-off but not as easy a decision.

You have hit on one of the other reasons.
Right now if you can't use your week, you end up throwing it away. As eventually you have too many deposits.
You can Bank points, but remember with a enrolled week, you have to decide to convert to DC points by June of the previous year.
So the first week you could bank would be 2013.
Once you have those points you have until the end of the year to use them or bank them to next years use.
You can also pull points forward a year.
So you could use three years of points in one year. (Banked, Current and Pulled).

If you bought developer and constantly lock-off and trade then the enrollment fee is a wash with the 800 points and the fees are close.
And if you plan to work the system (do short stays to maximize point value).

But if mostly what you do is full week exchanges and you are use to exchanging up (Suite to 3 bedroom etc...) then DC will probably not make you happy.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points
We were in a similar situation with our kids being grown and out of the house. We bought our one unit resale, so had to pay $1495 to enroll. However, we liked the additional flexibility of being able to trade for DC points as well as Reward Points, which we would not have been able to do. We probably won't trade for Reward Points very often, but will definitely do it. The bottom line is we like the idea of the flexibility. Like you we don't usually like to use a 2 BR when it is just the two of us- it seems like a waste, although we have done it.

If you bought from Marriott the cost to enroll is very reasonable and you get the 800 plus points that you can use within one year. Depending how you use them that could offset your enrollment fee.

I think a key factor to weigh if forget the purchase cost as that is a sunken cost at this point. Would you benefit from having the additional flexibility if you enrolled? If you can lock off your unit, you save on some fees. No exchange fees in II for Marriott to Marriott trades or retrades in the case of unit upgrades.

Agreed. We also paid the 1,495 enrollment fee for our externally purchased resale week primarily for the MRP conversion option and the DC points conversion option. It was the expanded 'options' that drove our choice to enroll, and just this week to go ahead and actually buy 1,000 trust points. While you can 'bank' DC points (within certain cut-off dates), we understand it possible to bank only into the following year where those banked points then become 'use or lose'. If you were an Interval member, you could deposit your week with them and have at least two years to complete an exchange with that week.

If your immediate concern is 'saving' the usage associated with your upcoming week's reservation at MOW that you cannot use, an II membership is the cost effective route to doing that. I would not advise jumping into DC for no other reason than that reservation.

bobpark56

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
If you also own a week that is not Marriott, you still must pay for a separate Interval International membership if you want to be able to exchange that week. If you are in this situation, the MDC $199/year fee does NOT cover everything.

--bp

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score

If someone has not yet purchased, it is not yet a sunk cost. That is a very pertinent part of the decisionmaking process.

byebye

TUG Member
Reaction score
DC/II membership

Question for bobpark. If I have 2 Marriott properties and I enroll in DC and II, can I opt for weeks instead of points, lock-off and trade into a property that is not Marriott? Do I have to pay for anything other than the $199 yearly II fee? Or do I have to also obtain an additional II membership?

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Question for bobpark. If I have 2 Marriott properties and I enroll in DC and II, can I opt for weeks instead of points, lock-off and trade into a property that is not Marriott? Do I have to pay for anything other than the $199 yearly II fee? Or do I have to also obtain an additional II membership?

You can exchange any Marriott weeks in your II corporate account out to non-Marriott resorts BUT you'll have to pay the current II exchange fee. Only Marriott-to-Marriott exchanges in your corporate account don't incur any fees.

{eta} If you deposit one of the Weeks in your II corporate account for an ongoing exchange request, you won't pay the exchange fee if all of the resorts you list in your request are Marriotts. But if you request any non-Marriott resorts along with Marriotts, you'll be charged the exchange fee at the time of the request, and you won't be given a refund if what's eventually matched is one of the Marriotts you listed.

Last edited:

patriotx87

Reaction score
As I have mentioned in a past post I am a Canyon Villas Platinum (one week) owner. I love splitting my unit and using full two weeks.

Can I still use my weeks as I have always done? Or our they going to do away with week(s) ownership and force you to buy into the points system? Just very comfortable in the old system and do not want to be forced into the new system if I do not have to.

Any thoughts on this? I feel like I am damned if I do and damned if I don't!:shrug:

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
As I have mentioned in a past post I am a Canyon Villas Platinum (one week) owner. I love splitting my unit and using full two weeks.

Can I still use my weeks as I have always done? Or our they going to do away with week(s) ownership and force you to buy into the points system? Just very comfortable in the old system and do not want to be forced into the new system if I do not have to.

Any thoughts on this? I feel like I am damned if I do and damned if I don't!:shrug:

You can still use your weeks just like you've always done. The only difference is you will pay an annual membership fee instead of a fee for each individual transaction (lock-off fee, exchange fee if you stay within the Marriott family of resorts, reservation change fee if you have to change your reservation, fee to convert to MR points et....) and, you have the option to elect DC points secured for the future.

Since the end fo the tunnel is in sight and Marriott has announced the joiner fee is going up from $595 to nearly $2,500, now is probably the time to join and lock in that option.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch

I can't imagine that they'll ever get approval from regulatory agencies that will give them the rights to take our deeded Weeks and replace them with DC Points. I just don't see it happening.

(What can happen, theoretically, is that Marriott can unilaterally sever the Management Agreement with any of the resorts at any time, effectively turning our Marriott Weeks into non-Marriott Weeks at stand-alone resorts. It's been done in the past at a few resorts on Hilton Head and in Colorado. But I don't see that happening, either, unless the particular resort starts costing Marriott money instead of being a money-maker for Marriott, or unless a majority of the owners start rumbling that they want Marriott out. And if that does happen, it won't matter whether our Weeks are enrolled or not.)

Whether you enroll your Week in the DC or not, there haven't been any changes connected to the DC introduction that impact the traditional Weeks usage. You can continue to use it the exact same ways that you always have, including home resort stays and II exchanges, as a full unit or as two lock-off units.

For anyone who owns only one Week and is trying to figure out if it should be enrolled or not, probably the most important factor for you to consider is whether the all-inclusive Club Dues of the DC will be more cost-effective than the per/transaction fees you're paying now for your particular usage. The DC Points you will be allotted for exchanging through the DC Exchange Company are not as important, because most likely you will get better exchange value with one Week through II.

So, until the 6/14/12 deadline, enrolling one Week costs $595 for a direct-purchase or $1,495 for an external resale. You will get 800 Bonus DC Points upon enrollment which will expire one year from the date of issue. This is the DC Points chart - look through it and see if you can find a way to use the bonus points in such a way that the 800 will make up for your enrollment fee.

Then, look at TUGger GregT's link to the PointsValues PDF here to see if your Week's DC Points allotment is listed. If it's not, you can click through the first several pages of the "Enroll Now" process at your my-vacationclub.com account until you get to the page with the value for your Week. (You'll be able to exit out at that point without enrolling.) If the Points value of your Week is less than 6,500, your annual Club Dues will be $165. If it's 6,500 or more, your Club Dues will be $199.

Now, go back through your historical usage of your Week and tally up all of the transaction fees that you've paid for your particular usage. Only you can tell if the all-inclusive Club Dues will cover your usual transaction fees if you enroll the Week, or, if you don't spend enough in transaction fees to cover the Club Dues.

Beyond that, there are intangibles that make some folks completely in favor or completely against Marriott's new DC program. "I want to be positioned so that if they ever somehow favor DC Members over Weeks Owners, I'm there." "I refuse to give those summunabeeches any more of my hard-earned dollars!" None of those sorts of thoughts can be said by any of us to be right or wrong, and you don't need to explain yourself if you're feeling something similar.

Ultimately, the DC works for some and not for others depending on what you own and how you use it. Good luck with your decision.

Last edited:

patriotx87

Reaction score
I can't imagine that they'll ever get approval from regulatory agencies that will give them the rights to take our deeded Weeks and replace them with DC Points. I just don't see it happening.

(What can happen, theoretically, is that Marriott can unilaterally sever the Management Agreement with any of the resorts at any time, effectively turning our Marriott Weeks into non-Marriott Weeks at stand-alone resorts. It's been done in the past at a few resorts on Hilton Head and in Colorado. But I don't see that happening, either, unless the particular resort starts costing Marriott money instead of being a money-maker for Marriott, or unless a majority of the owners start rumbling that they want Marriott out. And if that does happen, it won't matter whether our Weeks are enrolled or not.)

Whether you enroll your Week in the DC or not, there haven't been any changes connected to the DC introduction that impact the traditional Weeks usage. You can continue to use it the exact same ways that you always have, including home resort stays and II exchanges, as a full unit or as two lock-off units.

For anyone who owns only one Week and is trying to figure out if it should be enrolled or not, probably the most important factor for you to consider is whether the all-inclusive Club Dues of the DC will be more cost-effective than the per/transaction fees you're paying now for your particular usage. The DC Points you will be allotted for exchanging through the DC Exchange Company are not as important, because most likely you will get better exchange value with one Week through II.

So, until the 6/14/12 deadline, enrolling one Week costs $595 for a direct-purchase or $1,495 for an external resale. You will get 800 Bonus DC Points upon enrollment which will expire one year from the date of issue. This is the DC Points chart - look through it and see if you can find a way to use the bonus points in such a way that the 800 will make up for your enrollment fee.

Then, look at TUGger GregT's link to the PointsValues PDF here to see if your Week's DC Points allotment is listed. If it's not, you can click through the first several pages of the "Enroll Now" process at your my-vacationclub.com account until you get to the page with the value for your Week. (You'll be able to exit out at that point without enrolling.) If the Points value of your Week is less than 6,500, your annual Club Dues will be $165. If it's 6,500 or more, your Club Dues will be $199.

Now, go back through your historical usage of your Week and tally up all of the transaction fees that you've paid for your particular usage. Only you can tell if the all-inclusive Club Dues will cover your usual transaction fees if you enroll the Week, or, if you don't spend enough in transaction fees to cover the Club Dues.

Beyond that, there are intangibles that make some folks completely in favor or completely against Marriott's new DC program. "I want to be positioned so that if they ever somehow favor DC Members over Weeks Owners, I'm there." "I refuse to give those summunabeeches any more of my hard-earned dollars!" None of those sorts of thoughts can be said by any of us to be right or wrong, and you don't need to explain yourself if you're feeling something similar.

Ultimately, the DC works for some and not for others depending on what you own and how you use it. Good luck with your decision.

Thank you my Massachusetts counterparts! Your information is very much valued!:whoopie:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Something that can happen however, if MVCI gets a controlling interest in the resorts, could they force the dissolve of the resort and HOA? If so, they could force the sale and buy it at auction. Then they would have possession of all those deeds and be able to place them all in the trust.

I really don't see something this extreme happening. Marriott can seem to get inventory that they need at will as long as it is available somewhere in the system, they don't need ultimate control.

I do expect them to offer some type of legacy to trust conversion in the future if you buy #,### number of trust points in addition to the conversion. Probably more so at resorts weak in the trust than those where a glut exists.

vlapinta

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I like the flexability of the DC, but am not in favor of paying $199 every year just to have the option to trade for DC points, if I want.
I have no problem paying the $595.00. Its that $199.00 that can keep going up just like my maintanance fees!
Thank you for the replys. I hope I am not missing the boat by not joining, but I think I will pass. Hope I am making the right decision!

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I like the flexability of the DC, but am not in favor of paying $199 every year just to have the option to trade for DC points, if I want.
I have no problem paying the $595.00. Its that $199.00 that can keep going up just like my maintanance fees!
Thank you for the replys. I hope I am not missing the boat by not joining, but I think I will pass. Hope I am making the right decision!

Is your one gold week worth more than 6500 points? If not, your annual fee is only $165.

vlapinta

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I just saw that in the $199 fee the II fees are also covered? I havent joined II in a few years. How much is II now

vlapinta

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sorry one last question. If I join the DC, does my deed change in any way?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I just saw that in the $199 fee the II fees are also covered? I havent joined II in a few years. How much is II now

The one year fee is $89. There are discounts at the three and five year membership packages.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Sorry one last question. If I join the DC, does my deed change in any way?

No, you still own your deeded week and pay the MFs associated with it.

bobpark56

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

It sounds like SueDonJ has/have answered your question. The situation I was addressing was that of having additional ownerships outside of Marriott. For example, we own with Festiva as well as at Marriott Grande Vista. Were we to join MDC, the I.I. membership we would get through MDC would not let us trade our Festiva properties via I.I. So joining MDC does not, for us, 'include' the cost of I.I. membership.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
It sounds like SueDonJ has/have answered your question. The situation I was addressing was that of having additional ownerships outside of Marriott. For example, we own with Festiva as well as at Marriott Grande Vista. Were we to join MDC, the I.I. membership we would get through MDC would not let us trade our Festiva properties via I.I. So joining MDC does not, for us, 'include' the cost of I.I. membership.

I'm in the same boat. I have one week remaining outside of any system that we've been exchanging through I.I. It's a week we can use for personal use but, we've had such good exchanges with it that it might be hard to dump our personal I.I. membership. I guess it will just depend on the value of I.I. in the future. If they do what's rumored, go to a points system like RCI, I'll be very tempted to simply dump our personal account and stick with personal usage or internal exchanges through the system resorts we own.

korndoc

TUG Member
Reaction score
probably the most important factor for you to consider is whether the all-inclusive Club Dues of the DC will be more cost-effective than the per/transaction fees you're paying now for your particular usage. The DC Points you will be allotted for exchanging through the DC Exchange Company are not as important, because most likely you will get better exchange value with one Week through II.

Amazing, so all the fuss comes down to whether or not the annual dues are cheaper than the fees paid to II for exchanges, to Marriott for splitting lock-outs, etc.

I agree that it seems I am better off trading with II than using points, which was the main reason I did not join earlier. I would have to pay $1495 to join. My Desert Springs Villas I would net only 3200 points. Since many other resorts, especially Hawaii, have higher points, I would have to use more than one year's worth of points to go there. Not so with II.....unless there is no Hawaii Marriott available to due the points system (Catch 22).

(do I have that right? I would keep using II for weekly trades and just save a few bucks on the other fees, if the calculations you suggested in your wonderful post worked out. I guess it would also protect me if Marriott made some huge change that made it MUCH better to be in points in the future)

Jeff

korndoc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Another couple questions: As a DC member, can I still get an XYZ extra week with II when doing an exchange?
I know the $89 annual fee with II is eliminated, but what about fees for Getaways and exchanges? (sorry if I am not up on this information)

Thanks,
Jeff