• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hawaii Resort - Best RCI Choice

AgelessTravel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO
I'm considering visiting Hawaii for the first time in 2012 or 2013. I have an RCI weeks account, which are the nicest resorts available in RCI? Wyndham Kona seems to have high ratings, are there better choices?

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Have you decided on the Big Island or are you open to different islands.

Twinkstarr

TUG Member
Reaction score
We stayed at the Wyndham Kona Hawaiian last summer on an exchange. Nice resort, good location for exploring the Big Island. Would stay there again(I can either exchange or use my Wyn points).

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Are yo going to exchange? If so how many TPU will you have? That will make
a difference on where you can go.

AgelessTravel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO
Are yo going to exchange? If so how many TPU will you have? That will make
a difference on where you can go.

Yes, I plan on exchanging. I have 87 TPU I can use, I would like to try to get two weeks. I'm just looking at current RCI inventory, which I know are usually just left overs. I don't mind doing an ongoing search if there are better choices available than what's in the current inventory.

AgelessTravel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO

BevL

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
July or August of 2012 would be tough, I'd think. July or August of 2013 would be doable - you'd have enough TPUs for sure for two weeks, I think.

MichaelColey

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you. I always forget to check the review section. I just noticed Hilton Grand Vacations Club Kings' Land Resort as one of the top 10 RCI resorts. How difficult is this hotel to get with an ongoing search? I'm looking at July or August months.
I think the bulk banking has already been made. We got a 2BR at Kings Land through a sighting here on TUG back in May for our trip next September.

We like to do several weeks when we go to Hawaii, because the fixed costs (flights) are so high and the variable costs (timeshare, rental car and food) are so reasonable.

I think we've scored some good ones. Ones we have booked for this year and next year's trips:
  • The Point at Poipu (#3682)
  • Paniolo Greens (#3977)
  • Wyndham Kona Hawaiian Resort (#5971)
  • Maui Lea at Maui Hill (#0755)
  • Kings' Land by Hilton Grand Vacations Club (#7978)
  • Hilton Grand Vacations Club at Hilton Hawaiian Village - The Lagoon Tower (#5996)

travelguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you. I always forget to check the review section. I just noticed Hilton Grand Vacations Club Kings' Land Resort as one of the top 10 RCI resorts. How difficult is this hotel to get with an ongoing search? I'm looking at July or August months.

The reality is that all three of the HGVC RCI listed resorts are part of the larger HGVC "compound" and I'd take an exchange into any of them. This is our top pick for Big Island timeshares. We typically do two weeks at HGVC Bay Club every other year and spend the off years in Maui (Wailea/Kihei area).

cgeidl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe your first decision should be which Island??

All of the islands have some good resorts.Seems to me the Island is the first decision to consider unless you are honeymooning and never intend to leave the resort for a week.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Do you have any must see's or do's while your in Hawaii. That will help you
decide which island you want to visit.

Liz Wolf-Spada

TUG Member
Reaction score
I recommend Paniolo Greens, it is probably not as many TPUs. It is not a Hilton or Starwood, but the units are all redone, large 2 bedrooms in the village of Waikoloa on a lovely golf course in the hills about 10 minutes from Hapuna and other beautiful beaches.

Liz

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We were on the Big Island a month ago and took a drive out to Paniolo Greens.
I think those units were very nice. It's away from town but you would want to
rent a car on the Big Island anyway. I did takes some pictures of the unit they
let us check out, if your interested.

MichaelColey

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't think it's really necessary to pick an island as a first step. There are great things to see and do on each island, and I think most of us end up returning (time and time again) to see the other islands and return to our favorites. Airfare is about the same to any of the islands, so that's not a factor.

I would research the top resorts on all of the islands, pick a timeframe that you want to go, decide on the trip length (one week, two weeks, more?) and set up an ongoing search. Once you have one week booked (if you're doing more than one), set up ongoing searches for any additional weeks (probably expanding your resort selection since you're probably being more specific on dates now). Once all of the weeks are booked, book your airfare (or start watching for it, if the prices are too high now).

If you want to visit multiple islands, I would focus on Oahu and/or Maui for the first exchange. Kauai and the Big Island are much easier to get through RCI Weeks. It's easiest to get the hard exchange first and work around that.

That's just me, though. There are lots of ways to do it. I think this gives you the best chance of getting a top resort, though.

AgelessTravel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO
I think the bulk banking has already been made. We got a 2BR at Kings Land through a sighting here on TUG back in May for our trip next September.

We like to do several weeks when we go to Hawaii, because the fixed costs (flights) are so high and the variable costs (timeshare, rental car and food) are so reasonable.

I think we've scored some good ones. Ones we have booked for this year and next year's trips:
  • Paniolo Greens (#3977)
  • Hilton Grand Vacations Club at Hilton Hawaiian Village - The Lagoon Tower (#5996)

Thanks for the list.

AgelessTravel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO
We were on the Big Island a month ago and took a drive out to Paniolo Greens.
I think those units were very nice. It's away from town but you would want to
rent a car on the Big Island anyway. I did takes some pictures of the unit they
let us check out, if your interested.

I`d love to see pictures of the unit.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayble

I started to take video and the decided on pictures. They are not the best but
a few turned out OK. One reason my wife has the good camera.:rofl: Sorry I
thought they were better. This link should work, let me know if you have issues.

This was a 2 bedroom unit, nice and clean and spacious. My wife just though it
was a little too far from everything. She loves oceanview also.

http://s1095.photobucket.com/albums/i461/slip99/

Liz Wolf-Spada

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are some Paniolo Green with a little bit of ocean view from the balcony. You have to request the ones toward the west end of the parking lot. Paniola is less than 10 minutes away from the Waikoloa Beach shopping areas, Kingsland and Queensland and about 10 minutes from Hapuna and Mauna Kea beaches. You are also closer to Waimea and Parker Ranch and the north end of Hawaii with the little town of Havi.
Liz

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I would stay at Paniolo in a heart beat but my wife likes to not have to drive all
all the time. If she has oceanfront and walking distance to town, she's happy.
And we all know, when she's happy, I'm happy.:D

We stayed in Kona and she would of been happy to stay right there but she was
glad we rented a car and explored the island a for a few days. I think the best
beaches are up by Paniolo.

ronandjoan

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Telemark, Townhouses at St Augustine Beach and Tennis Club, Stoneridge Resort (ID)
  • Paniolo Greens (#3977)

I would say, YES, I "THINK" SO TOO! You have a great list! and you do such a great job at getting good units!
Looking forward to meeting you.

ronandjoan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Telemark, Townhouses at St Augustine Beach and Tennis Club, Stoneridge Resort (ID)
cC

I love this ocean front view here at Sea Mountain

ronandjoan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Happy Thanksgiving sunrise

This sunrise hit me this morning from our living room as I got up
ry%3D400