• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hawaii Resort - Best RCI Choice

Picker57

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Sea Mountain - isn't that the one at the south tip of the island? Now THAT is remote ! Thanks so much for the photo - I think that's the first one I've seen of that area. Looks great.

Regarding Paniolo Greens, I concur. I love the place, but not everyone does. It's not a 5-star in the sense of being a "Las Vegas With An Ocean", but it's quiet, scenic, handy to the best beaches (and Mauna Kea is, in my never-humble opinion, one of the best anywhere), handy to Waimea (and the Hawaiian Style Cafe), and to Waikoloa to indulge in a sunset and an adult beverage. I did read one review (from 2006) that really dissed P.G., one of the reasons being that there was lava in the area. Duh !

Next Thanksgiving on Big Island !!!

-------------Zach

Laurie

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Picker57 said:
Sea Mountain - isn't that the one at the south tip of the island? Now THAT is remote ! Thanks so much for the photo - I think that's the first one I've seen of that area. Looks great.

Regarding Paniolo Greens, I concur. I love the place, but not everyone does. It's not a 5-star in the sense of being a "Las Vegas With An Ocean", but it's quiet, scenic, handy to the best beaches (and Mauna Kea is, in my never-humble opinion, one of the best anywhere), handy to Waimea (and the Hawaiian Style Cafe), and to Waikoloa to indulge in a sunset and an adult beverage. I did read one review (from 2006) that really dissed P.G., one of the reasons being that there was lava in the area. Duh !
I'm sure I'd love Sea Mountain (we drove up to it once), love the area and would like to exchange there sometime - thanks Joan for the pix!

OTOH I didn't care at all for Paniolo Greens - not because of the lava which I ordinarily find quite beautiful, but because it was too far from the ocean and just had a suburban feel, with the golf course and little mall. Plus there was lots of plastic trash caught in the trees in our view, which was over the lava to the very distant ocean. We've been to the Big Island 4x now, a long trip for us east coasters; Paniolo Greens was the only stay that was disappointing. The unit was big but that's not why we go - it just didn't have the elements I travel there for.

One of my favorite areas of the Big Island rarely mentioned is near Kapoho - the warm ponds for snorkeling, the Red Road, etc. No timeshares, we took a private rental once, at Champagne Pond.

Edited to add: we had good experiences at both Royal Sea Cliff on Big Island, and Kuleana Club on Maui - oceanfront views, palm trees and black lava rocks from the lanai, sounds of waves crashing, etc. Not 5-star either, but suited me just fine.

Last edited:

geoand

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
When I look for a place to stay, I am more interested in how close it is to the things that I like doing than the luxury of the place. I have been to the Islands about 20 times in the past 33 years. What I like is the water. What I like is the sunsets. You get my drift. Not interested in being on the lanai watching a sunset. I want to be on that beach with a cool drink, camera, and DW and friends. The beaches within 10 to 15 minutes from PG can't be beat.

carl2591

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Joined TUG '96, Wyndham Grand Palms AKA, Presidential Villas at Plantation Resort, 3 bed lockout.
Mayble

I started to take video and the decided on pictures. They are not the best but
a few turned out OK. One reason my wife has the good camera.:rofl: Sorry I
thought they were better. This link should work, let me know if you have issues.

This was a 2 bedroom unit, nice and clean and spacious. My wife just though it
was a little too far from everything. She loves oceanview also.

http://s1095.photobucket.com/albums/i461/slip99/

I thought i was the only person that take pictures of prices at places. the sales ticket for bongobens was eye opening.. looked like a nice plate full of food at 30.00 :eek: but i guess it cost more to eat in paradise..:p

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Definitely costs more in most places. My wife likes to take pictures of that
stuff. She likes to post reviews on Yelp. I don't mind but I feel a little silly
waiting to eat while she takes a picture of my food. In some of the pictures,
you'll see she wasn't fast enough and there's a bite off of my plate.:D

carl2591

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Joined TUG '96, Wyndham Grand Palms AKA, Presidential Villas at Plantation Resort, 3 bed lockout.
Definitely costs more in most places. My wife likes to take pictures of that
stuff. She likes to post reviews on Yelp. I don't mind but I feel a little silly
waiting to eat while she takes a picture of my food. In some of the pictures,
you'll see she wasn't fast enough and there's a bite off of my plate.:D

too funny...:rofl:

sad but true. not only food, but now air fare from the east coast.. :eek:

thanks again..

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
You always have to watch that airfare. I don't have quite as far to go as you
do. We just booked our February tickets $856 round trip. I'm always
happy to get them for under $900 and we just made it under this time.:D