• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Guess where Western States

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I know, but I'll give someone else a chance.

Dave
Thanks for excusing yourself. I actually thought about asking you not to respond in the post, because I figured it would be too easy for you.

Last edited:

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Tacoma Narrows Bridge, also known as Galloping Gertie?
Good guess, but nope. Gallloping Gertie was the name given to the bridge that collapsed. The replacement bridge was not a galloper.

BTW - the collapse of Gertie triggered an awareness of the importance of wind effects on all structures, not just bridges. I have some peripheral involvement with a company that operates a boundary layer wind tunnel. (A boundary layer wind tunnel is used for wind studies near the ground surface, and is very different from the atmospheric wind tunnels used to test airplanes.) The biggest piece of their business is related to buildings - especially evaluating what happens when skyscrapers are located close together. When two tall buildings are located close together and wind blows between them, the wind has to speed up to get through the constricted space, This creates a venturi effect, which pulls the buildings toward each other. This is on top of the normal wind load, and can be a very significant factor.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I recognized that one instantly. I'm going to do a DaveNW and pass, to give others a chance.
Just message me so I can let you know if you really are correct. :D

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I recognized that one instantly. I'm going to do a DaveNW and pass, to give others a chance.

Kind of you, but no help - I have no idea. Looks "Southwest-ish." :)

Dave

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
goblin valley state park or Bisti National Wilderness (they do have some similiarities), Pecos National Historic Park, Deception Pass Bridge (and State Park).

Ok now I will bow out. LOL

Last edited:

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch, Hyatt Main Street Station, Hyatt Ka’anapali; Marriott Ko’Olina, Marriott Waiohai; Marriott Maui Ocean Club; Wyndham CWA points, Worldmark credits.
Take a guess:

2CF5C7E0-7548-4595-B94D-F70553B66F76.jpeg

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
goblin valley state park
I assume that was in response to the picture I posted. Nope, wrong state. Not sure if anyone will get it since it's very, very hard to get into. You need a guide, someone who knows the area, has a compass, or you'll never make it out.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I assume that was in response to the picture I posted. Nope, wrong state. Not sure if anyone will get it since it's very, very hard to get into. You need a guide, someone who knows the area, has a compass, or you'll never make it out.

If Goblin Valley State Park is the wrong state (Utah), this makes me think it's Canyon de Chelly, NM? I know they have Guides there.

Dave

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
If Goblin Valley State Park is the wrong state (Utah), this makes me think it's Canyon de Chelly, NM? I know they have Guides there.

Dave
No, this was probably too hard. We visited this place with a "guide" that was a former employee of the USGS. I've still never been to Canyon de Chelly.

Hint:

Little visited and largely unknown, the XXXXXXX is an amazingly scenic and colorful expanse of undulating mounds and unusual eroded rocks covering 4,000 acres, hidden away in the high desert of the San Juan Basin that covers the distant northwest corner of New Mexico, yet this area is just one of many similar regions in the region, the remainder even less publicized.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
No, this was probably too hard. We visited this place with a "guide" that was a former employee of the USGS. I've still never been to Canyon de Chelly.

Hint:

Little visited and largely unknown, the XXXXXXX is an amazingly scenic and colorful expanse of undulating mounds and unusual eroded rocks covering 4,000 acres, hidden away in the high desert of the San Juan Basin that covers the distant northwest corner of New Mexico, yet this area is just one of many similar regions in the region, the remainder even less publicized.

Thanks to your quote and my friend Google, I now know where this is. Never heard of the place, but now I want to visit. :D

Dave

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Thanks to your quote and my friend Google, I now know where this is. Never heard of the place, but now I want to visit. :D

Dave
As I said, you need to go there with someone who knows the area AND has a compass. At one point we had NO idea where we were. NO way to back track. It was an eerie feeling. Our guide was a former USGS employee who had worked that area for years. And he still carried a compass with him.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
As I said, you need to go there with someone who knows the area AND has a compass. At one point we had NO idea where we were. NO way to back track. It was an eerie feeling. Our guide was a former USGS employee who had worked that area for years. And he still carried a compass with him.

Probably a very good thing he did. I've heard the Rangers who work at Badlands National Park in South Dakota do the same thing. A wrong turn or two, and it'd be easy to get completely lost. Yikes!

Dave

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Probably a very good thing he did. I've heard the Rangers who work at Badlands National Park in South Dakota do the same thing. A wrong turn or two, and it'd be easy to get completely lost. Yikes!

Dave
Our guide has found dinosaur bits and pieces out there.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Our guide has found dinosaur bits and pieces out there.

One of my semi-bucket list things - to go on a dinosaur dig. I was a MAJOR dino lover as a kid, and the thrill has never really left me. (I saw Jurassic Park in the theater three times the first week it came out. I had goosebumps of excitement, and I was in my 40's... :D) Like so many kids who grew up in the 50s and 60s, I really wanted to be a paleontologist when I grew up. That didn't happen, of course, and life took me in some other, very interesting directions. But the dinosaur lover is still in me. I like to visit museums and fossil exhibits that feature dinosaurs whenever I can. The idea of spending time on a dig would be fascinating.

Near Thermopolis, Wyoming, there was a company that used to take tourists out to a dig site so they could play in the dirt. I wonder if they still do that? Hmm. Retirement goals... :D

Dave

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch, Hyatt Main Street Station, Hyatt Ka’anapali; Marriott Ko’Olina, Marriott Waiohai; Marriott Maui Ocean Club; Wyndham CWA points, Worldmark credits.
No idea, but my mind immediately went to the Hallmark Greeting Card store. LOL! :)

How about some sort of clue?

Dave
Clue: about 65 miles south of the first post...

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Clue: about 65 miles south of the first post...

65 miles south of the OP's Panguitch cabin picture? So I'm thinking that's along the way to the North Rim? Like in the Jacob Lake area? I see snow in your picture, nothing that would give a location. ?

Dave

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes, the picture I posted is from 65 miles south of where I “thought” the OP’s cabin was. I assumed that it was where the Hole in the Wall gang hung out (which was Kaycee, Wy.), but upon looking again it is the cabin where Butch was raised. I have no idea where that is. Sorry for the “mislead”. My picture is of the North Platte River just outside Casper, Wyoming.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Yes, the picture I posted is from 65 miles south of where I “thought” the OP’s cabin was. I assumed that it was where the Hole in the Wall gang hung out (which was Kaycee, Wy.), but upon looking again it is the cabin where Butch was raised. I have no idea where that is. Sorry for the “mislead”. My picture is of the North Platte River just outside Casper, Wyoming.

Nice area. I'd have had no idea it was the North Platte. Southern Wyoming has some really nice views.

Dave

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Nice area. I'd have had no idea it was the North Platte. Southern Wyoming has some really nice views.

Dave
Casper is actually more central Wyoming, beautiful in an austere kind of way. One of our favorite places (my wife is from there, her family is still there.). We are there every July...

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Casper is actually more central Wyoming, beautiful in an austere kind of way. One of our favorite places (my wife is from there, her family is still there.). We are there every July...

I've been across Wyoming East to West on I-80, West to East and back from Yellowstone to Rapid City, and South to North along the western edge. Closest I've been to the central part of the state is Thermopolis. Haven't been to Casper. Yet. :)

Dave

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I've been across Wyoming East to West on I-80, West to East and back from Yellowstone to Rapid City, and South to North along the western edge. Closest I've been to the central part of the state is Thermopolis. Haven't been to Casper. Yet. :)

Dave
You were fairly close to Casper when you were in Thermop... It’s about a 2 hour drive northwest of Casper. You pass through the Wind River Canyon which is gorgeous.

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Here’s another of our favorite views:

1586116546374.jpeg