• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Grande Vista 2024 fee proposed to increase over $1000! What is going on?

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
So basically, the flexibility isnt worth it. Legacy weeks are best used as trades in II.
I think it depends. Certainly for trading weeks as the main option with a limited volume it's not worth it. Realize that many of us got in with a much better situation than you're looking at. Some with Tahoe Fractionals, some enrolled weeks they already owned including resale weeks back in 2010 and some with a much better enrollment situation than you're looking at. IMO the important parameters end up being the overall cost per point on the purchase and yearly fees per point. Another variable is how one will use the week such as rentability, use the week itself, exchange or take points. In reality many of us do all 4 at one time or another and often every year. While I rarely rent, I have weeks I use every year, weeks I exchange, weeks I only use for points and a couple of weeks I use at times and take points other years.

claraj

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Marriott Los Suenos
At $44k, isn't that what it would cost, or even a bit more, to enroll a resale week anyway?

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras
My theory: The MVC resale market will begin to be flooded with near "give-away" prices, this month, except for the tried and true MVC resorts, that have maintained strong values (e.g. Grande Ocean (platinum season)). Further, MVC will be so flooded with "Right of First Refusal" inventory, that they will waive their Right of First Refusal, at resorts/seasons where/when they have reacquired the inventory in the past (as, I would expect that MVC/MVW's Board of Directors would not want to see MVC/MVW take on a lot of new debt).

I expect that there will be a peak in resale listings, until the end of First Quarter 2024, when MVC Maintenance Fees must be (1) paid, or (2) go to collections.

Even Grande Ocean, I believe, will see a spike in resale listings over the next few months, as the wave of "Original Owners" are "aging-out," and the adage that MVC Ownership was sold on, the "pass your MVC ownership along to your children" premise, washed out to sea, as, in our experience, the adult children that we know, including our own, want nothing to do with owning a timeshare (with a few exceptions: the adult children who want to relive their childhood memories). And, forget about, the once (long time ago) value in exchanging a MVC Week for Marriott Bonvoy points.

And, despite this insanity, MVC will continue to sell new ownerships to naive customers, predicated on "the dream."
Maybe that’s why MF increases went straight up vs competitor systems like Hilton and DVC. It is in their best interest to ROFR weeks for cheap to consolidate into Abound. Why not just squeeze owners into giving up their ownerships. It’s definitely profitable.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Maybe that’s why MF increases went straight up vs competitor systems like Hilton and DVC. It is in their best interest to ROFR weeks for cheap to consolidate into Abound. Why not just squeeze owners into giving up their ownerships. It’s definitely profitable.
But the sales machine has been slowing over the past quarter. Perhaps they need to bridge a gap between now and when the Waikiki property comes online? I thought they had quite a bit of unsold inventory on the books, but I recall a bunch of that was also from Welk and that can't be sold as Abound trust points. Could they really be running out of inventory to sell?

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I didnt think you can enroll resale weeks for points anymore.
Yes, it can still be done. Usually the offer to enroll an external resale week is part of an annual "promotion" that usually starts in April each year and ends in September. Though from what I understand, they can often make exceptions for this if it is outside those months.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I didnt think you can enroll resale weeks for points anymore.
Both Points and weeks enrollments have still been available. I think this years program ended in Sept or it was supposed to. One could enroll up to 5 weeks by buying points or qualifying weeks (or a combo). This year the program was more restrictive allowing a max of 5 instead of 7 weeks and at a much higher price. Qualifying weeks are resorts that cannot be in th trust like Spain, Aruba, St. Kitts, Costa Rica. They also offered no flexibility for more weeks than officially allowed while in the past they've commonly allowed one to enroll more than the stated maximum. The price this year to enroll 2 weeks was more than my cost to enroll 7.5 weeks in 2019 and others here enrolled up to 12 weeks for around the same price as required for 2 weeks this year.

Enrollment of a Fractional (Tahoe, Ritz) is a different program and is active all year rather than the usual spring to end of summer timing. I would expect some differences for those enrolling Westin/Vistana but I don't follow that situation closely so others may have more specifics.

IMO they've priced themselves now where it's not reasonable for almost any situation to enroll where with the program the last few years it was reasonable for some situations. The only exception might be a Fractional or if one can get a special deal which I've only seen posted for Spanish resorts.

TimberGrande

Reaction score
So I don't know this from personal experience but it's been discussed in many threads.

Thread 'Own enrolled week and just added new resale - any strategy to enroll for low $?' https://tugbbs.com/forums/threads/o...resale-any-strategy-to-enroll-for-low.357859/

Yes, it can still be done. Usually the offer to enroll an external resale week is part of an annual "promotion" that usually starts in April each year and ends in September. Though from what I understand, they can often make exceptions for this if it is outside those months.

Both Points and weeks enrollments have still been available. I think this years program ended in Sept or it was supposed to. One could enroll up to 5 weeks by buying points or qualifying weeks (or a combo). This year the program was more restrictive allowing a max of 5 instead of 7 weeks and at a much higher price. Qualifying weeks are resorts that cannot be in th trust like Spain, Aruba, St. Kitts, Costa Rica. They also offered no flexibility for more weeks than officially allowed while in the past they've commonly allowed one to enroll more than the stated maximum. The price this year to enroll 2 weeks was more than my cost to enroll 7.5 weeks in 2019 and others here enrolled up to 12 weeks for around the same price as required for 2 weeks this year.

Enrollment of a Fractional (Tahoe, Ritz) is a different program and is active all year rather than the usual spring to end of summer timing. I would expect some differences for those enrolling Westin/Vistana but I don't follow that situation closely so others may have more specifics.

IMO they've priced themselves now where it's not reasonable for almost any situation to enroll where with the program the last few years it was reasonable for some situations. The only exception might be a Fractional or if one can get a special deal which I've only seen posted for Spanish resorts.
Thanks for the link and info. Still ramping up on everything. Appreciate the responses.

Danlop88

TUG Member
Reaction score
Has anyone received any update if MGV will maintenance fees over 1000s anytime soon?

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Has anyone received any update if MGV will maintenance fees over 1000s anytime soon?
I haven't seen anything. I looked at the last set of BOD meeting minutes and nothing specifically was mentioned about poor financials. Our Harbour Lake minutes indicated that 2023 ended in a deficit but they have made up 70% of the deficit so far this year.