• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Grand Canadian (Canmore) owners? Need advice...

barto

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just closing on a Platinum week there (weeks 17-40) and would love to get some advice from current or former owners there on tips and tricks, how far in advance to request a floating week, just about anything, really... Been an owner at Banff Rocky Mountain Resort for a long long time so we know the area reasonably well, just not this exact timeshare.
I know it's an II property, but we expect to use or rent our week every year so probably won't add II to our list of exchange companies (RCI Points, 7Across).
Thanks for any tidbits you'd like to share about Grand Canadian!
Bart

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Since you haven't received any replies, I'll share what I know. The Grand Canadian is co-located with Worldmark Canmore, the buildings are attached via the entrance to the gym and indoor/outdoor pool (which they share). The building is up the three sisters parkway from downtown Canmore, which is where you'll generally want to go for groceries/shopping/dining.

I've never been in a Grand Canadian unit nor have I owned one. Summer weeks come up for exchange occasionally, but never last long.

barto

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for that… wasn’t sure what to expect for replies (or how quickly)!
We’ve been past the building many times and even stomped all around it just before acquiring the week - a nice quiet area we’re looking forward to trying next summer.

Let’s see if anyone else replies!
:)

Bart

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for that… wasn’t sure what to expect for replies (or how quickly)!
We’ve been past the building many times and even stomped all around it just before acquiring the week - a nice quiet area we’re looking forward to trying next summer.

Let’s see if anyone else replies!
:)

Bart

Hopefully someone else chimes in for you with details on the booking requirements here. I saw the unit I suspect you bought listed and was very tempted. But I'm currently on a "one in, one out" restrictions for new timeshares, and couldn't pick anything to get rid of so had to abstain. Its a great location!

travel maniac

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not a current or past owner. But have stayed here once last year. I liked the 2 bedroom unit. Not anything fancy but nice and functional unit. If you've owned at BRMR it'll seem like and upgrade even when compared with the renovated wolf units! Quiet location (next to WM as noted above), the front desk can be a little cold sometimes but overall I liked the unit.

djyamyam

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We sold our platinum ownership here about 8 years ago (at a profit after buying on ebay) but still trade in every year since we like the resort. You got a good deal with the seller paying for the resort transfer fees since they are about $500 (or they were when we sold).

We generally didn't have a problem reserving summer weeks as long as we booked a year out. I no longer have my ownership paperwork which provides details about making reservations. They don't tell you which unit you actually get when making the reservation but they do tell you the floor. The 3rd floor units went first and then main floor with 2nd floor units as the least desirable. The units facing the front of the resort give you good views of the The Three Sisters while the backside units are forest facing and you'll see wildlife every so often.

We still enjoy going to the resort even though the units are a bit dated. We like them because they are very large units and with good layout. There is a king bed in the main bedroom and two queens in the second bedroom. The heated underground parking is nice in the winter with all the potential snowfalls. There are some great walking trails in the area along the Bow river.

Here's some pics to the units, which are from a number of years ago but haven't really changed as we were there just earlier this year.

Last edited:

barto

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hopefully someone else chimes in for you with details on the booking requirements here. I saw the unit I suspect you bought listed and was very tempted. But I'm currently on a "one in, one out" restrictions for new timeshares, and couldn't pick anything to get rid of so had to abstain. Its a great location!
Thank goodness for that One in, One Out policy! :)
Just ironic that we were talking with friends (former owners) about how we got some of our other timeshares for a buck (or close enough), and then this one popped up. We're very pleased to finally get in there, also as a bit of a hedge against BRMR possibly not extending the timeshare lease in 2023.

barto

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not a current or past owner. But have stayed here once last year. I liked the 2 bedroom unit. Not anything fancy but nice and functional unit. If you've owned at BRMR it'll seem like and upgrade even when compared with the renovated wolf units! Quiet location (next to WM as noted above), the front desk can be a little cold sometimes but overall I liked the unit.
Love the comparison to BRMR... we've been 'Wolfing' it there for a few years now so good to know Grand Canadian will compare favorably. And yes, really expect the area to be very quiet. Thanks!

barto

TUG Member
Reaction score
We sold our platinum ownership here about 8 years ago (at a profit after buying on ebay) but still trade in every year since we like the resort. You got a good deal with the seller paying for the resort transfer fees since they are about $500 (or they were when we sold).

We generally didn't have a problem reserving summer weeks as long as we booked a year out. I no longer have my ownership paperwork which provides details about making reservations. They don't tell you which unit you actually get when making the reservation but they do tell you the floor. The 3rd floor units went first and then main floor with 2nd floor units as the least desirable. The units facing the front of the resort give you good views of the The Three Sisters while the backside units are forest facing and you'll see wildlife every so often.

We still enjoy going to the resort even though the units are a bit dated. We like them because they are very large units and with good layout. There is a king bed in the main bedroom and two queens in the second bedroom. The heated underground parking is nice in the winter with all the potential snowfalls. There are some great walking trails in the area along the Bow river.

Here's some pics to the units, which are from a number of years ago but haven't really changed as we were there just earlier this year.

Excellent info - really appreciate the former owner perspective. I'll hope for quick closing on this so we can try to book a year in advance to get in next summer.

Why would the 2nd floor units be least desirable, do you think?

And thanks for the photos, too! I also noted the resort's web site photos still show tube TVs in the units!

Much appreciated to all who are contributing here. I'm sponging this stuff up - keep it coming! :D

Last edited:

lily28

TUG Member
Reaction score
how does this resort compare to worldmark canmore in turn of 2 bedroom size?

barto

TUG Member
Reaction score
Tacoma can tell you for sure, but I understand the WM Canmore units are generally smaller (and have 1-bedroom units as well as 2-bedroom). Would love to try a WM unit too, some day!

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
The worldmark 2 bedroom units are definitely smaller than the pictures above. They only have a single queen bed in the second bedroom and a second one wouldn't fit.

djyamyam

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
how does this resort compare to worldmark canmore in turn of 2 bedroom size?
The worldmark 2 bedroom units are definitely smaller than the pictures above. They only have a single queen bed in the second bedroom and a second one wouldn't fit.
Also, the kitchen at the WM is smaller than at the Grand Canadian. The living room at the WM also does not have a fireplace - not enough room.

The GC units also have insuite laundry while at the WM, they have a separate room in the basement that has a whole wall of washers/dryers.

The WM is a converted hotel while the GC is purpose built condos as it has whole ownerships in addition the TS units.

At the GC, I would guess the number of whole ownerships at 60/40 vs. timeshares

Last edited:

djyamyam

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Excellent info - really appreciate the former owner perspective. I'll hope for quick closing on this so we can try to book a year in advance to get in next summer.

Why would the 2nd floor units be least desirable, do you think?

And thanks for the photos, too! I also noted the resort's web site photos still show tube TVs in the units!

Much appreciated to all who are contributing here. I'm sponging this stuff up - keep it coming! :D

Depending on how long the transfer paperwork takes, you may still get a late summer 2022 reservation. I see that one year, I got a summer ressie booking in Sep of the year before.

With the 2nd floor units, you're potentially sandwiched for noise between both upstairs unit and the unit below although we don't seem to remember having had noise issues.

The tvs have been updated to flat screens but the tvs in the bedrooms aren't big - abut 22" and the main one in the living room would still only be 32"? It still fits within the old tv cabinet

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
Also, the kitchen at the WM is smaller than at the Grand Canadian. The living room at the WM also does not have a fireplace - not enough room.

The GC units also have insuite laundry while at the WM, they have a separate room in the basement that has a whole wall of washers/dryers.

The WM is a converted hotel while the GC is purpose built condos as it has whole ownerships in addition the TS units.

Some units at the WM have fireplaces. We've been quite successful getting one by request.

barto

TUG Member
Reaction score

Depending on how long the transfer paperwork takes, you may still get a late summer 2022 reservation. I see that one year, I got a summer ressie booking in Sep of the year before.

With the 2nd floor units, you're potentially sandwiched for noise between both upstairs unit and the unit below although we don't seem to remember having had noise issues.

The tvs have been updated to flat screens but the tvs in the bedrooms aren't big - abut 22" and the main one in the living room would still only be 32"? It still fits within the old tv cabinet

In-suite laundry is nice, although we've managed doing laundry once during a week's stay at BRMR in the 'dungeon' - coin-op rates are up to $3 per load now. Some weeks we don't need to use it at all, but certainly handy to have it in the unit just in case.

I had forgotten that the WM building was a converted hotel! We drove up there way back before it was WorldMark, although I can't recall what it was then.

And very interesting that the whole ownership ratio is that high! I wouldn't have suspected that.

Small TVs we can handle - not surprised they kept the living room one able to fit the cabinet.

Definitely keeping fingers crossed the transfer happens soon - while I'm still working I can only get June-August for weeks at a time, which is why all our BRMR weeks are in the summer.

Thanks for all the info, including getting a WM fireplace unit by request - if this GC ownership is really just weeks 17-40 then we won't be able to try for a Christmas week.

I don't suppose GC owners get access to 'bonus days' like BRMR where you can book unused days here and there for cheap?

Bart

djyamyam

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I had forgotten that the WM building was a converted hotel! We drove up there way back before it was WorldMark, although I can't recall what it was then.

And very interesting that the whole ownership ratio is that high! I wouldn't have suspected that.

I don't suppose GC owners get access to 'bonus days' like BRMR where you can book unused days here and there for cheap?

Bart

It was a Marriott Residence Inn before the WM. I'm not sure if it was a different hotel before that.

I'm not sure of the exact split of whole ownership vs. TS. That's just my guestimate based on looking at the door looks as you can tell which are whole ownership door locks because they are different than the TS door locks.

No bonus time or bonus days like at BRMR. It's not operated as a hotel the same way that BRMR is - You can't rent direct from the resort or from any online accommodations site.

Tacoma

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I hate to disagree with you djyamyam but when you are looking out of the Grand Canadian/Worldmark you are not looking up at the three sisters. They are beautiful mountains but those are not the three sisters. There are great views of the three sisters from the highway or downtown Canmore. The other side of the highway also has great views of the three sisters.

djyamyam

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I hate to disagree with you djyamyam but when you are looking out of the Grand Canadian/Worldmark you are not looking up at the three sisters. They are beautiful mountains but those are not the three sisters. There are great views of the three sisters from the highway or downtown Canmore. The other side of the highway also has great views of the three sisters.

Are you sure? I'm not referring to the ones immediately perpendicular to the front entrance. I'm talking about left at about 40 degrees when exiting the building. You can't see all of them. You see part of middle sister and little sister. I'll have to check my pics

Tacoma

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
You may be able to see a portion. I too will have to check but the ones in front that everyone notices are definitely not the famous three sisters. That's my husband's preferred view so we would likely want the other side of the highway.

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
I just got an exchange confirmed via II into Grand Canadian Resort Vacation Club 2br for August 2022. I had an ongoing search with my Hyatt points.

barto

TUG Member
Reaction score
A minor update - got the transfer document that wanted me to initial that I had seen the 'license' for the resort, but that wasn't included in the package. Inquired to the company, they contacted current owners who sent their sales contract ($7500 purchase price resale, but 8+ years ago). Not the 'license', so now the company is waiting for the resort to send them the correct docs.

Hurry up and wait...