• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Got the Call

puckmanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
good morning...

Staying at Oceana Palms 3 nites Thurs-Sun this week. Looked into this with DC points and was staggered by a 3500 pt. cost. I used my handy dandy MR black Visa with the 45% discount and snagged the unit for $900. At $0.41 MF /pt using pts would consume $1400 in MF. I saved over $500 in value by using the "card"..

They offered a $250 card toward hotel room or 20K MR points. They also promised to credit my stay toward the purchase of new DC points and I could use the $250 card at another Marriott stay!!! I told them I knew more about the program than 90% of the reps and had ZERO interest in new Trust points. The nice lady told me that it didn't matter and they wanted Mrs. Puck and I to attend and put me in a 8:30 am slot (not to ruin the day).

At 8:30 Fri AM we will report for some snacks and the sales pitch!!!I can't resist playing "I know more than you, with the salesman" Since they invited me, I plan on getting the "official" resale policy and restrictions and clear up the 60 day thing!!!

If I get the "need to supercharge" your legacy point thing, I am going to ask "flat out" Does a purchase of minimum Trust points morph ALL of your Legacy points?? We all the answer is no, but I am curious as to the pitch. I will ask for it in writing signed by a manager!!!

Will report back on Friday afternoon...

The $250 will drop the price of my 3 nite stay to $650...not bad for 3 nite Ocean front just before Easter in palmBeach!!!!

Before, I get the don't waste your time stuff $250 over 90 is about $175/hr to sit in a nice room and talk...Don't think to omany peple would turn down a job at $175/hr...

siesta

TUG Member
Reaction score
In a perfect world, you'll be out in 90 minutes. Let us know how long it actually takes to get out of there.

"Before, I get the don't waste your time stuff $250 over 90 is about $175/hr to sit in a nice room and talk...Don't think to omany peple would turn down a job at $175/hr..."

Puck, I can think of two people that would turn down that hourly rate, your Attorney and your Cardiologist. (and no they arent overpaid: one protects your heart, the other protects your ass)

Last edited:

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is a great instance where walking into meeting with a "l Love TUG" shirt on would set a great first impression : )

Have fun, Puck.

windje2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
good morning...

Staying at Oceana Palms 3 nites Thurs-Sun this week. Looked into this with DC points and was staggered by a 3500 pt. cost. I used my handy dandy MR black Visa with the 45% discount and snagged the unit for $900. At $0.41 MF /pt using pts would consume $1400 in MF. I saved over $500 in value by using the "card"..

They offered a $250 card toward hotel room or 20K MR points. They also promised to credit my stay toward the purchase of new DC points and I could use the $250 card at another Marriott stay!!! I told them I knew more about the program than 90% of the reps and had ZERO interest in new Trust points. The nice lady told me that it didn't matter and they wanted Mrs. Puck and I to attend and put me in a 8:30 am slot (not to ruin the day).

At 8:30 Fri AM we will report for some snacks and the sales pitch!!!I can't resist playing "I know more than you, with the salesman" Since they invited me, I plan on getting the "official" resale policy and restrictions and clear up the 60 day thing!!!

If I get the "need to supercharge" your legacy point thing, I am going to ask "flat out" Does a purchase of minimum Trust points morph ALL of your Legacy points?? We all the answer is no, but I am curious as to the pitch. I will ask for it in writing signed by a manager!!!

Will report back on Friday afternoon...

The $250 will drop the price of my 3 nite stay to $650...not bad for 3 nite Ocean front just before Easter in palmBeach!!!!

Before, I get the don't waste your time stuff $250 over 90 is about $175/hr to sit in a nice room and talk...Don't think to omany peple would turn down a job at $175/hr...

Look forward to your post!!!

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
Puck,

Good luck and have fun! Looking forward to hearing the details...

Best,

Greg

Swice

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Can't wait

Looking forward to reading the comedy.

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Yes, this should be good. Have a great time. We did a tour there last November and enjoyed seeing the resort. Very well done.

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
This kind of ambush by a Tugger ought to be illegal. :hysterical:

It's OK to mention that you found a loophole in the DC system that was renamed the "Puck trick" , but DO NOT tell anyone what it is. :D

Quilter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Can you put it on Skype so we can watch?

Puck we did this last week. As I mentioned in another post it left me with an attitude. I didn't go to argue so I wasn't going to try to defend my position for not buying more points. My older sister often reminds me "A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still." I got the distinct feeling the salesman was baiting me to challenge his statements that my legacy points would eventually make us very unhappy we didn't buy when the price was right. Besides, I figured the more we talked the longer before we got out of there because he seemed determined to do the entire presentation whether we bought or not. There was no showing around the property as part of the 90 mintues, even though one of the come on's was "come down and see the exciting new building." He said if we wanted a tour of the building that could be arranged AFTER he was done. He was selling trust points and not any particular property.

I'm also looking forward to finding out the approach they take with you. Since there are some suspected Marriott sales people who post on these boards I suspect they have been clued in that you're coming.

We're down the street at OP until Saturday. If you happen to wander this way I'd sure like to meet you.

Last edited:

curbysplace

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau, Marriott Streamside-Birch, Marriott Custom House
This is a great instance where walking into meeting with a "l Love TUG" shirt on would set a great first impression : )

Have fun, Puck.

10-1 odds that a vast majority of the sales force has no idea what TUG is. Supervisors maybe know about TUG but the sales force, nah! That shirt at a presentation is a great idea regardless.

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
10-1 odds that a vast majority of the sales force has no idea what TUG is. Supervisors maybe know about TUG but the sales force, nah! That shirt at a presentation is a great idea regardless.
If this were true, this goes to tell you how pathetic the whole situation is. How can MVCI expect to be the best in the industry (an assumption that is what they strive for) IF their sales people do not know about the one single-best place on the web (IMO of course) to learn their own system, short of owning and using their own product (which I would wager <25% of their people actually do).

One thought. If the sales rep does not recognize the 'TUG', maybe the 'closer' at the end of the presentation, whom I assume is a manager of some sort, would recognize he has met his match and just be glad to let you leave ASAP.

Last edited:

puckmanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
good evening....

I have never had a confrontational (except at OP) sales tour...

My strategy is as follows...

Be engaging and charming!
Ask questions!!!
Talk Marriott

My strategy for not buying is very simple and truthful. I have invested 80K in my 4 developer weeks in my "vacation 401K". I am thriled withthe lifetime of vacations I purchased. I have used the system incredibly well. I am also thrilled with the almost 2,000,000 MR pts and other incentives I have received for buying direct. I definitely enjoyed the freebie II deposit I received and the $4000 in Marriott dollars that I put towards good use. I also love the 14k DC points that come with my Legacy weeks I plan on telling the rep that I love MVCD but I just don't need any more vacation time at this time... I plan on using any extra $$$ towards my kids education and my retirement..

If I get the Legacy weeks will be worthless thing, I will politely disagree!!! I wont fall for the Trust points > Legacy points thing. I will have a list of all my great II trades AND DC points trades....

usually , I leave these things withthe salesman bewildered and offering me a job!!! Mrs. puck then tells the sales person how much time I spend on this!!!!

Will get back to all on Friday!!!!
p.s Oceana palms will be MVCD resort #24

Frenchman's Cove will be #25 in June!!!!

Last edited:

Quilter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
good morning...

Since they invited me, I plan on getting the "official" resale policy and restrictions and clear up the 60 day thing!!!

I have unsuccessfully tried a search to find discussion about a "60 day" thing. Can you point me the way to the right threads? Thanks, Suzzanne

MabelP

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I like your strategy very much. It's always best to put your best foot forward . Your knowledge will speak for itself.

SpikeMauler

TUG Member
Reaction score
If I get the Legacy weeks will be worthless thing, I will politely disagree!!! I wont fall for the Trust points > Legacy points thing. I will have a list of all my great II trades AND DC points trades....

I'm at the Aruba Ocean Club now and did the tour yesterday. The salesman said a points a point. No difference between legacy and trust points anymore. He said Marriott started implementing this last month. Said Marriott realized it didn't make business sense to alienate one group(legacy)from an another(trust) so they fixed it. Says you can mix and match legacy and trust points together now and that legacy points can be used for stays at new trust locations yet to be bought/developed. My wife asked if this was in writing and he said not yet, that Marriott was working on the paper work and that changes in the system like this take time to work out(as far as the paper work)but be assured it is being implemented now.
I'm really not that familiar with the new points system so I don't know if this "new" news or not. The salesman made it sound like it was...

Last edited:

FractionalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Its been my experience that this is the way the points have worked since day 1. Early in the program (2010) there was a lot of speculation regarding how the system worked (i.e. Legacy vs. Trust). I'm sure there was a lot of truth to some of that speculation regarding all the back of the house processing activities.

Fact is though, as a customer you could call MVCI and ask for a reservation and as long as you had enough points (legacy, Trust, or combination) and the unit was available, you got your vacation!

From most customers vantage point, it really doesn't matter where the points are coming from. You just want your vacation.

I'm still on the fence with regards to access to future program enhancements if you dont participate in the points system.

I gotta believe that they need to continue making the points program more attractive, exclusive, and desirable from a sales/marketing point of view in order to sell more points.

Their next more is approching qucikly: June deadline for enrollment before fee jumps from $595 to $2395.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
Its been my experience that this is the way the points have worked since day 1. Early in the program (2010) there was a lot of speculation regarding how the system worked (i.e. Legacy vs. Trust). I'm sure there was a lot of truth to some of that speculation regarding all the back of the house processing activities.

Fact is though, as a customer you could call MVCI and ask for a reservation and as long as you had enough points (legacy, Trust, or combination) and the unit was available, you got your vacation!

From most customers vantage point, it really doesn't matter where the points are coming from. You just want your vacation.

I'm still on the fence with regards to access to future program enhancements if you dont participate in the points system.

I gotta believe that they need to continue making the points program more attractive, exclusive, and desirable from a sales/marketing point of view in order to sell more points.

Their next more is approching qucikly: June deadline for enrollment before fee jumps from $595 to $2395.

Fractional Traveler,

Thank you for the comments -- I definitely agree with the underlined point, but I must respectfully disagree with the remainder of your comments.

The two buckets have been a real problem since inception and there have been multiple reports from TUGgers who purchased Trust Points experiencing difficulty in booking reservations (in combination with Legacy Points). Reservations that should have been easy to get could not be booked. I spoke at length to the (former) Director of Customer Advocacy and wrote a lengthy post on TUG on the workings of the Trust and Legacy Bucket in June 2011. It was a mess.

I do believe that they have now implemented a change to more integrate the two buckets -- and they should announce whatever they are doing as their on-going, permanent policy (and should be proud of it and take credit for doing it).

Otherwise, those of us who remain cynical (and I wasn't cynical at all prior to June 20, 2010) will simply think Marriott may undo it in the future when there is a sufficient critical mass of Trust Points out there. That future change would harm the Legacy Point User who is accustomed to using the system in today's environment.

All the best,

Greg

Last edited:

mas

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MAR BeachPlace;
Cypress Harbour;
Ocean Watch;
Canyon Villas;

Have fun, Puck.

When I was at Kauai Lagoons last year, we took the sales tour and I brought one of the TUG banners to the presentation. The sales guy was a true salesman in every sense of the term. He said that he was indeed familiar with TUG and had a good laugh when I showed it to him.

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
When I was at Kauai Lagoons last year, we took the sales tour and I brought one of the TUG banners to the presentation. The sales guy was a true salesman in every sense of the term. He said that he was indeed familiar with TUG and had a good laugh when I showed it to him.

Like! :clap:

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
It would be interesting to ask if legacy and trust points now could truly be mixed, as in using some of each to book a single night. As it stood heretofore, a week's reservation could be booked with some from column A abd some from column B, but they could not be intermingled for a single night, even if it meant having a little left over from one type of point and having to borrow from next year for the other.

puckmanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
good afternoon....

Very pleasant sales presentation... My rep was articulate, friendly and pretty knowledgeable. I was profiled (he had my portfolio) and was aware that I had 13,866 enrolled points. Also was aware of many of my DC point trades... I stated off the top that i was here for the "goodies" and was very happy with my MVCD product. He gave his disclaimer and ask me for permission for him to proceed with his sales pitch anyway, but he stated that he would clearly understand if I didn't bite...

basically, the sales pitch was that Trust points> Legacy points. We both agreed on the bucket thing with Legacy points as currency in the Exchange company and Trust points as true ownership in the trust. He also agreed on the co mingling. My rep CLEARLY stated that purchasing a small increment of Trust points DOES NOT "morph" Supercharge or in any way change Legacy points.

I pointed out some of the great Legacy and Trust inventory I have snagged with my enrolled points. WE began to diverge here!!! I believe that as the system matures there will be more comingling and the points will become functionally equal. My rep stated that MVCD controls the trust inventory that goes into the Exchange pool during the crossover. He also pointed out that as more Trust points are sold these points and flooded the system there would be less Trust inventory...and thus Trust points would be >>>Legacy points down the road

I accepted this at face value. I really enjoyed my rep and we spent the rest of the time kibbitzing. He did throw some $$$ incentives at me... 2500 k pts could be has for about 22 K with the cash incentive, then credit for mycurrent stay was added in (about $900). I also got the Encore dude that offered me a repeat stay at teh Palms with credit towards the purchase if I bought...

I did get the "points are flying off the shelf" and prices will soon be at $14-$15/pt shtick . I remained modestly skeptical here. There were many customers in the gallery....

To be quite honest, If i had $20K more to be spent on Timeshares i would be for a resale Mountainside plat!!!! I ended by stating that I love MVCD but with some new cars and college education not comleted my vacation 401K would have to wait...

It was as pleasant as can be!!! Took my $250 in goodies and off to the pool and a visit to mom....

I may still take up the encore because $1999 for 7 nites 2 bedroom OF at Oceana Palms in season is a good deal...e

RBERR1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Interesting about the points about Marriott controls the trust inventory used in the crossover. The point that they forget is they do not control the exchange inventory on the other side and they assume that people would want DC for inventory that is in the trust versus items that people have deposited into the exchange company from enrolled weeks.

windje2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi puck

Did you get any info on the resale of points?

Last edited:

puckmanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good evening....

Oops,forgot to ask about resale....

My bad...

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned