• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Got Baited

Hawk88

Reaction score
We are VIP silver owners. I have most of my points in two CWA and one in Vegas. During the last owner's update this past weekend in Destin, I had the guy tell me that we missed a 10 year outlook for our contracts. Then he went on to tell me that we missed an opportunity to consolidate our accounts to either one deed at a "Teir 1" resort or CWA at no cost. All we may have to pay is $30 to $300 for closing costs depending on the place we chose. He said he could see if he could "turn back time" and have them do it since we didnt sign off on the 10 year updated. He said it would take about 30 mins to get the paperwork together and I agreed. My wife had already left (she has no patience for them). So thinking this would be a great opportunity to consolidate and not have to buy new points I talked her into coming back down. When we went back down, of course he was full of crap, and said we could do it for $24000 and Wyndham was "giving" us 105 thousand more points. I told him that is not what he said to me earlier and I felt like he baited and switched me. He then proceeded to let me go and had the lady come in and give me my "gift". I am done going to "owner updates". I did learn that they did away with returned points for VIP (or at least thats what he said, but who knows if anything they say is true). If Wyndham really wants to have satisfied owners, they need to really change the sales process.

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
Lol yea u did especially when full price is $26,250 a whopping $1250.00 off, man with that kind of discount how could you have turned that down! And, the sweetest part of the deal is they would let you buy at that price for a full year. That guy must have been on drugs or thought you were. Haha

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

weems637

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton HGVC Tuscany
Hurricane House in Sanibel Island (managed by Hilton
Wyndham Cypress Palms
Wyndham Glades
Club Wyndham Access
sounds like you were at a carnival side show rather than an owner update, I mean free prize giveaway breakfast, I mean golden sales opportunity meeting.....

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hawk88, Welcome to TUG. Stick around. You'll learn more about your timeshare ownership than you ever would get at ANY 'Owners Update'/sales meeting. Joining TUG to get reviews of thousands of resorts worldwide where you can go using those Wyndham/RCI points is probably the best $15 you could ever spend.

Jim

Hawk88

Reaction score
Yeah, full of BS. I have never complained to Wyndham, but I am thinking of formally complaining to them about this. Probably will not do anything, but its the principle of it.

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yeah, full of BS. I have never complained to Wyndham, but I am thinking of formally complaining to them about this. Probably will not do anything, but its the principle of it.
Yea you are right, they will probably say something like sorry we will look into it. Then do nothing maybe even give him a bonus Then refer you to the Wyndham website so you can learn more about tug (woops) I meant how to best your points. Anyway make sure you contact customer relations. I like ileana, never get anywhere but she has a sense of humor.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
You should follow your wife's lead more often. :)

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
It's worth it to complain and to mention it every time you get a survey for anything. The surveys always ask how you feel about Wyndham as a company. That's a great place to choose the worst and then you'll get a question asking why and you can explain the bait and switch tactic.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Just don't go. I know others like to go, but I think I am wasting both my time and there time. Life is just too short.

uscav8r

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are VIP silver owners. ...I had the guy tell me that we missed a 10 year outlook for our contracts. ...
What is the world is a "10 year outlook"? Not that it is a real thing... just trying to figure out what "wrong" they were trying to "right."

Hawk88

Reaction score
According to this guy, Wyndham reached out to all HOA's and had them do a 10 year forcast of all the maintenance/updates they had coming so they could forcast better the maintenance fees going up. Then they rated them in 3 teirs. With 3rd going up the most, 1 the least. If you owned at a 3 tier, then you had the option to change to teir 1 or CWA at no charge.

See, sounds good doesn't it.

Bait

uscav8r

TUG Member
Reaction score
According to this guy, Wyndham reached out to all HOA's and had them do a 10 year forcast of all the maintenance/updates they had coming so they could forcast better the maintenance fees going up. Then they rated them in 3 teirs. With 3rd going up the most, 1 the least. If you owned at a 3 tier, then you had the option to change to teir 1 or CWA at no charge.

Bait
Ah, okay. I've never heard of or seen any such forecasts from any of my deeded ownerships. Actually pulling the thread on that so-called good idea, though, this says nothing about the current MF rate, only the growth of MF.

I would retort that a resort with high MF (say $6.50/1000 pts) could have a lower growth rate in MF than low MF resort (say $4.50/1000 points) and be considered as being in a "better" tier. After 10 years, I could STILL be ahead with the originally low MF resort, even though it was technically a Tier 3 grower!

In any case, nothing Wyndham does is ever "free." There will almost certainly be a new retail purchase involved.

Explorer7

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
About 4 or 5 years back Nat Harbor sales told me it was like refinancing a loan when I switched from what they projected as an average of 30% mait fee increase with my current ownership to their "new" lower rate plan for me which involved me buying more points to consolodate my deeds.

Two of them were almost literally pitching me all the way to the gifting desk as I walked away from the table and collected the gift after the alloted time. By the way my maint fees have barely budged over the years.

scootr5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Wyndham (points and Avenue Plaza Mardi Gras week)

Bait

Keep in mind that if Wyndham is doing their jobs properly managing the resorts, they should already have a Reserve study at their disposal for at least the next ten if not thirty years.

The difference between Tier 1 and Tier 3 percentage increases could also be minimal (like 1% or less), but somebody's got to be in the bottom 1/3rd numerically....

55plus

TUG Member
Reaction score
If Wyndham sales weasels would put as much energy and effort into curing diseases as they put into coming up with ways to lie and scam owners, the world would disease free, but they have their priorities and we know what they are...

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
If Wyndham sales weasels would put as much energy and effort into curing diseases as they put into coming up with ways to lie and scam owners, the world would disease free, but they have their priorities and we know what they are...
Me thinks thee givith them way too much credit. They are clones, I don't feel if you put them all in a think tank, do u think even one original thought would emerge?

Cheryl20772

TUG Member
Reaction score
I did learn that they did away with returned points for VIP (or at least thats what he said, but who knows if anything they say is true).

I'm Silver VlP as well and don't know what you mean by "returned points". Please explain? Thanks!

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm Silver VlP as well and don't know what you mean by "returned points". Please explain? Thanks!

I'm guessing Cancelled points. They did away with them for everyone, not just VIP.

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
To explain further, if you book a resort, then cancel, the points would have gone back to your account as "cancelled points", and would not be available to use for ARP. Now, they go back into your account as " regular use points and you can use them like you have never booked anything. That's both good and bad. If it is towards the end of your use year, you must use them or lose them, as silver VIP. Many here have millions of points. Previously, they would go in as cancelled points and would carry over in the "credit pool. No longer. For many here, that's a big deal for no longer do they carry over to the following year or two.

scootr5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Previously, they would go in as cancelled points and would carry over in the "credit pool.

I'm not sure what you mean here; cancelled points never carried over into the next use year, and were always use them or lose them.

As of now, if the points from the cancelled reservation were originally regular points, they just go back to the use year they came from. If they were pooled points, they go back as pooled points with the same expiration date they had before.

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure what you mean here; cancelled points never carried over into the next use year, and were always use them or lose them.

As of now, if the points from the cancelled reservation were originally regular points, they just go back to the use year they came from. If they were pooled points, they go back as pooled points with the same expiration date they had before.
Sorry, should read further next time. Question then, is that why there are so many great deals on rentals this time of year? Just book what's available and get what you can for them? Is there any benefit to changing use year to something other than January to December?

scootr5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sorry, should read further next time. Question then, is that why there are so many great deals on rentals this time of year? Just book what's available and get what you can for them? Is there any benefit to changing use year to something other than January to December?

People just trying to get some return on their points rather than lose them outright?

A different use year would depend on your specific vacation patterns, and is no longer readily accomplished.

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
People just trying to get some return on their points rather than lose them outright?

A different use year would depend on your specific vacation patterns, and is no longer readily accomplished.
I guess I would at this point I would have no idea what would work for me. At the last presentation it was said I could change my use year with a simple phone call.
It would seem that Wyndham's release date is based
On calendar year, that's an assumption.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I use say September as my start month, come January I would be at 10 months while majority of people would be at 13 months. Is the assumption correct?