• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Getting old - - advice requested

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
You do you, as I'm sure you will. The rest of us are happy with the load we have to carry, whatever it may be. But you don't have to keep denigrating others for their choices. And yes, you are doing that.
He sure is denigrating, my medications are not vitamins. I actually had 16 medical appointments in the two weeks before I left Florida. I am facing two more surgeries on top on the three I already had for this cancer and it is my third different cancer. my carry on bag is 19 inches, most people say how do you do it, oh course, I see people getting on the plane with huge backpacks, twice the size of my carry on.
. Oh and by the way ,the paperwork I carry is because I have to finish my husbands estate.
But good news,the growth that was removed from my Lower eyelid just before I left was benign.
Bad news, the local they were raising funds for just died from the same cancer I had. So yes, I had lots of medications in my bag.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
He sure is denigrating, my medications are not vitamins. I actually had 16 medical appointments in the two weeks before I left Florida. I am facing two more surgeries on top on the three I already had for this cancer and it is my third different cancer. my carry on bag is 19 inches, most people say how do you do it, oh course, I see people getting on the plane with huge backpacks, twice the size of my carry on.
. Oh and by the way ,the paperwork I carry is because I have to finish my husbands estate.
But good news,the growth that was removed from my Lower eyelid just before I left was benign.
Bad news, the local they were raising funds for just died from the same cancer I had. So yes, I had lots of medications in my bag.
My husband also carries lots of medications these days. Two years ago he had one med, today I don't know how many. Those who don't need to rely on multiple medications should consider themselves lucky. Their luck, and health, could change overnight.

Last edited:

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Tune out the noise. I realize I don't know you other than what you post here but my read is that you seem like an incredibly strong, independent women who keeps on through a ton of adversity. I admire it greatly.

Eggrollcreative

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Grand Vacations Elara, Worldmark, Seagull Beach Club, Vacation Internationale
Follow the example of Jack Reacher. Travel with a toothbrush! If buying everything you need in Hawaii (they have a Ross and a Saks off Fifth in Waikiki) isn’t realistic, then just pack one large roller bag and check it in. Yes pay the porters … I can’t carry more than 10 pounds anymore so I check in my roller bag. There is always someone to lift your bag into the Uber and out… Keep going as long as you can! It will keep you young.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Follow the example of Jack Reacher. Travel with a toothbrush! If buying everything you need in Hawaii (they have a Ross and a Saks off Fifth in Waikiki) isn’t realistic, then just pack one large roller bag and check it in. Yes pay the porters … I can’t carry more than 10 pounds anymore so I check in my roller bag. There is always someone to lift your bag into the Uber and out… Keep going as long as you can! It will keep you young.
And that would work if you didn't need the two tons of prescription medication that my husband needs.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
And that would work if you didn't need the two tons of prescription medication that my husband needs.
One thing that helps a little, I use snack sized plastic bags, put the pills in that and peel the label off the pill bottle to attach to plastic bag. It saves a little space. Of course that doesn’t work on inhalers or ointments.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
One thing that helps a little, I use snack sized plastic bags, put the pills in that and peel the label off the pill bottle to attach to plastic bag. It saves a little space. Of course that doesn’t work on inhalers or ointments.
We just bring everything in original containers. One time my husband forgot one of his medications. Thank goodness for CVS. They were able to fill a prescription for him in NYC so he wouldn't be without. However, after that he kept getting reminders from the CVS in NYC for his refills. :D

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
You do you, as I'm sure you will. The rest of us are happy with the load we have to carry, whatever it may be. But you don't have to keep denigrating others for their choices. And yes, you are doing that.
He is also likely to be very stinky to be around. ;)

Last edited:

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
We just bring everything in original containers. One time my husband forgot one of his medications. Thank goodness for CVS. They were able to fill a prescription for him in NYC so he wouldn't be without. However, after that he kept getting reminders from the CVS in NYC for his refills. :D

Some states have restrictions on Rx transfers. IF i am not mistaken Hawaii does not allow for an RX written by a Dr licensed in a different state. We usually take a few days extra supplies when we travel.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Some states have restrictions on Rx transfers. IF i am not mistaken Hawaii does not allow for an RX written by a Dr licensed in a different state. We usually take a few days extra supplies when we travel.
Some years back (like quite a few) while we were on Maui my mother discovered she needed a refill on a prescription. She was able to get it refilled by the pharmacy on Maui, don't remember which one, called her pharmacy in California.

I "think" with Lucky/CVS they would honor a prescription refill written by a doctor in another state. Haven't tried it there, so far we haven't forgotten any of our medications.

I should have added that our prescriptions are currently with CVS. That is why I think our refills would be honored anywhere there is a CVS.

Last edited:

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
Some years back (like quite a few) while we were on Maui my mother discovered she needed a refill on a prescription. She was able to get it refilled by the pharmacy on Maui, don't remember which one, called her pharmacy in California.

I "think" with Lucky/CVS they would honor a prescription refill written by a doctor in another state. Haven't tried it there, so far we haven't forgotten any of our medications.
I forgot to pack my pill case when we went to a timeshare in two harbors, minn, on the north shore of Lake Superior. One drug Store in town, he gave me a seven day supply of each of my meds. Couldn’t run through my insurance. But not too pricy. Was particularly worried about my thyroid replacement hormone.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
I have flown once since my diagnosis of Diabetes Type 2. Patti got me a small bag with multiple compartments/zippers to carry all my Diabetes supplies for the length of the trip. Goes right through Security and the Airlines did not count it as one of the personal item/carryon. I carry my Snorkel mask in my carryon as does Patti. They have vision corrected lenses. Hard to replace. Also carry a swimsuit and 1 change of pants/shirt and 2 changes of socks/underwear. And all my jewelry. Yes the airlines once lost my checked Bag and it took 36 hours to catch up with me.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Yes the airlines once lost my checked Bag and it took 36 hours to catch up with me.
I've had lost bags twice. First time it took 4 days, the second time 5 days. I had my medications in my carry on (and my phone and tablet) but nothing else. First time it was just my bag that was lost/delayed so I slept in one of my husband's shirts. We went shopping the next day. The second time both of us had delayed luggage. Putting back on dirty clothes the next day wasn't too bad, it was the underwear that was the worst (TMI I know). Now we both carry clean underwear and a small kit of toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant and a few other things.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
DW and I each put a change of clothes in the other's carry-on just in case one gets misplaced. Faithful readers will remember last Summer when the airline lost both of our checked bags on our way to a France river cruise. I'd had a few days' meds in my carry-on, but a larger stash to last the whole trip was in my checked bag. We went shopping in Madrid- instead of the planned day in the Prado, and a helpful pharmacist replaced ALL my heart and other meds at a quite low cost and no 'script necessary. It turned out that BA had been chasing us with our bags until the day we were flying to France. We got them to hold them at the airport so we could check them through.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We each have 8 weeks' worth of pill boxes and carry enough for the trip + 1 week in case there is any sort of delay in coming home. All pill boxes/medications go into my carry-on as we don't want to stress over missing/delayed luggage.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
My BIL lives in the Philadelphia suburbs. When he came to see us in Minnesota, he got some Philly subs and packed them in his checked luggage. :eek: Of course, they lost it. We were in a panic but they found it and delivered it to our house around 11 PM. We ate them immediately, just to make sure they didn't spoil. They were delicious. :thumbup:

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
Once when I was going to the same city as some big shots, I got to fly on the corporate jet. I parked my car in the hanger, 50 feet from the plane. The staff took the luggage out of my trunk and loaded it onto the plane. No lines, no TSA, no waiting for baggage claim. So in answer to BJRSanDiego's original question, the billionaire seniors buy their own planes. :cool:

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro

I should have added that our prescriptions are currently with CVS. That is why I think our refills would be honored anywhere there is a CVS.
It also depends on the medication. I split my time between FL and CO (w/ my doctor in CO), and while I can get refills for most everything in FL, I cannot get a certain narcotic refilled in FL. For that, I would need a FL doctor to write me a script. Maybe other states have different rules, but I was told by my doctor in CO that most if not all states would not fill an out-of-state narcotic script.

Kurt

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Once when I was going to the same city as some big shots, I got to fly on the corporate jet. I parked my car in the hanger, 50 feet from the plane. The staff took the luggage out of my trunk and loaded it onto the plane. No lines, no TSA, no waiting for baggage claim. So in answer to BJRSanDiego's original question, the billionaire seniors buy their own planes. :cool:

They do that for you on some fishing trips too. You show up and have a drink while some people load your stuff on the plane and fly to somewhere nice. For me it was a materials company taking contractors salmon fishing. A jet would have been nice but jets can't land on water.

Bill

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Heck, fly Mokulele. On Molokai, we park on the grass, take our luggage and drop it at the counter and board the plane. No lines, no TSA. Never too busy at that airport :ROFLMAO: :D

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I had to get antibiotics prescribed on the Big Island two weeks ago after a video appointment with my CA based doctor. So maybe it changed? At any rate, I just had them send the info to Costco and I was able to pick up the meds on our way home from the snorkel trip. I am so thankful that I didn't have to take time out of our trip to go to the local urgent care.

For @BJRSanDiego my mom also uses the wheelchair assistance at the airport. It is mostly because of her knee, and a bit because as she has aged (she is 85) she gets confused and sometimes lost in unfamiliar airports, so it helps her get to her gate. If your wife gets a ride, perhaps she could hold the personal item and laptop case on her lap. And I agree about checking those bags, preferably curbside - let someone else do the heavy lifting. I am not sure if there is anyone to help you lift those bags onto the agriculture inspection machine though, but there are so many people there that you may just have to ask someone to give you a hand. And I also concur with the backpack advice. They hold a lot and keep your hands free. Good luck! You can do this!

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
Thanks to all for the encouragement.

Currently we DO arrange for wheelchair assistance and have for about 5 years. That helps a lot (except when no one shows up...which has happened). It also is great for going through TSA.

My wife's carry on includes all of her meds (pills, inhalers, and an injectable). Mine is just my heavy laptop (and a few other electronic things).

So, maybe I just need to figure out how NOT to have to personally shlep all of the heavy stuff from baggage pickup to the rental car place. So, yes, curb-side drop off (I didn't see it in Maui, but next time I'll search for it). Maybe, get a cart to haul the luggage from the carousel to the curb (on the way to either public transportation or the rental cars) even if it is only a few hundred feet. And then just leave the cart for someone else.

I checked on the price to ship luggage and it seemed pretty high priced.

But you-all gave me some good ideas.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
Jack reacher always seemed so wasteful. Throw out his clothes every couple of days! Ever heard of a laundromat Jack? That might be a good plot line: Jack encounters a bunch of hooligans threatening old ladies while doing his laundry.