• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Getting old - - advice requested

BJRSanDiego

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
My wife and I fly to Hawaii EOY and it is growing more difficult to do so.

My wife has mobility issues and strength issues. She used to be able to pull her own roll-around. But not any longer. So, I end up pulling the baggage for both of us - - pulling two suitcases, a personal item and a laptop case. Total weight? Over 100 pounds. While I can still do that, it is getting more difficult. I'm wondering WHEN I can no longer do that what will we do? Sell our Hawaii timeshare?

I'm wondering if there might be another solution. Has anyone heard about an airport "porter" service? I suppose that I could pre-ship my bags, but that adds another layer of complexity and delay getting access to the luggage and adds one more thing to take care of before departure.

Suggestions? What are other seniors doing?

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
We used the curbside check in on Maui this trip. So easy. We did need to get our bags out of the rental car, but the porter took them from there, got them through ag, luggage checked in, and brought me back our boarding passes and luggage tags. This was with United. I don't know if all airlines provide this service. If not there may be an airport porter service. With United we tip them, I gave them $30 since there were three porters helping us and we had four bags to check (two suitcases, two duffels).

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Sorry to read about your wife's challenges. Even though we are still mobile, we do foresee that we will skip trips which require flights in the next 5 to 7 years.

I have used Ship Sticks to ship golf clubs because I did not want to deal with 2 sets of golf clubs when I flew over to see my son last year. They were older clubs which my son and I would use. There are similar services for luggages. I do think it is a viable option. You can choose to ship half while packing the most important items in the luggages which fly with you. There will be a tipping point when you no longer want to fly to Hawaii but this option will be able to delay that action for a few more years.

BTW, I had my clubs shipped to FedEx office and I retrieved from them after I arrived.

Last edited:

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
We have the same issue.
My DW has Parkinson's and must use a rollator (walker w-wheels) or chair.
We request wheelchair assistance in airports and cruise terminals.

(1) We take (and check) one big 4-wheel spinner that's easy for me to push.
(2) I wear a medium-size backpack which holds my stuff & keeps my hands free.
(3) For her carry-on, DW has a zipped bag stored in her walker or chair.

Last edited:

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
Twice DW has needed a wheelchair to get through the airports. We called ahead to reserve one. I'd rent a cart at curbside to get our stuff to the assistance station. They were really good helping get her and our carryons through TSA and to the gate. Same thing on arrival. Airport stress is also reduced by flying first class.

nomoretslt

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your wife’s mobility issues. I was curious, so I googled luggage delivery services….consumer reports had a good article. It might be worth looking into. It seems costly, but time, energy and stress is costly too. Not to mention having to check your bags and then waiting for them at the other end. Twice for a round trip. It would be so nice to just worry about your wife, laptop and backpack.

we just returned from a 9 day trip to Disney. I definitely overpacked. Probably only wore 1/3 of what I brought (having a washer/dryer helps). Shorts, tshirts and bathing suits. Can you both share one suitcase?

When the anxiety outweighs the enjoyment, you will know it’s time. Sounds like it’s something you look forward to. That’s really special.

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
I asked for wheelchair assistance on my last flight. Too hard to carry everything. But I used to have to carry two sleep machines, two personal items,wheel two carry ons, and keep an eye on my husband,who had a broken arm and shoulder. Not easy.

Last edited:

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
We get around this by not flying with checked bags; not flying with carryon; but flying with JUST a "personal item."

In my case, whatever I can stuff in the Billingham bag I've owned for decades. Total weight is around 15 pounds per person. And no mucking about waiting for steamer trunks at the baggage carousel.

Never once in my life have I heard anyone say, ever, in the history of travel, "I need to pack heavier next time."

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
We get around this by not flying with checked bags; not flying with carryon; but flying with JUST a "personal item."

In my case, whatever I can stuff in the Billingham bag I've owned for decades. Total weight is around 15 pounds per person. And no mucking about waiting for steamer trunks at the baggage carousel.

Never once in my life have I heard anyone say, ever, in the history of travel, "I need to pack heavier next time."
Totally disagree, my personal item has my computer, iPad cell phone, wallet, and a bundle of items I can’t trust in a checked bag. It is heavy. I am spending four to five months and can’t leave them behind. In my carry on I have paperwork I need, medical supplies and prescriptions and a few items of clothing. I wish I had more things, especially since it was in the fifties for the first few days, and I had clothing for warm weather. Can’t even fit a pair of shoes in my carry on, or my pickleball paddle. I thought I had it all worked out to have prescriptions ready when I got here, but the two pharmacies dropped the ball on that.

Tia

TUG Member
Reaction score
My relatives asked me to come along on a couple trips to assist, free room and some airfare assistance. Both times I went I asked another person to come too, so when the relatives wanted to stay at the resort I still had someone to do/go with.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
My DW's physical therapist offered to go with us to help.
But she wanted us to pay for her airfare, hotel and cruise.
DW thought about it... I said it was too late to set it up.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
My wife and I fly to Hawaii EOY and it is growing more difficult to do so.

My wife has mobility issues and strength issues. She used to be able to pull her own roll-around. But not any longer. So, I end up pulling the baggage for both of us - - pulling two suitcases, a personal item and a laptop case. Total weight? Over 100 pounds. While I can still do that, it is getting more difficult. I'm wondering WHEN I can no longer do that what will we do? Sell our Hawaii timeshare?

I'm wondering if there might be another solution. Has anyone heard about an airport "porter" service? I suppose that I could pre-ship my bags, but that adds another layer of complexity and delay getting access to the luggage and adds one more thing to take care of before departure.

Suggestions? What are other seniors doing?

My wife's first cousin and his wife decided to move to Ajjijic in their 70's. They love it. Flights are the worse part of a trip, imo.

Bill

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
My wife's first cousin and his wife decided to move to Ajjijic in their 70's. They love it. Flights are the worse part of a trip, imo.

Bill
Where did they move? Ajiijic? I’m geographically challenged.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Where did they move? Ajiijic? I’m geographically challenged.
Next to Lake Chapala Mexico. In the 2000's I thought they were crazy to stay in Mexico at a timeshare for a month. Then we started doing the same about 15 years later. Now they are full time with a home in Ajijjic and visit home when they feel like it.

Bill

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
DW has been using wheelchair transport through airports for about 4-5 years. This last year, it has become very hard for me to roll the rollaboards & personal items through airports. There may be a time when for the few flying trips we will take will be both of us in wheelchairs. First/Business class helps, but still, if the wheelchair pushers don't meet the plane, or you have a late night arrival/transfer, it can make you feel really helpless when you're the last ones out of a plane and there's no assistance.

Old age is a PITA!

Jim

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
... If the wheelchair pushers don't meet the plane, or you have a late night arrival/transfer, it can make you feel really helpless when you're the last ones out of a plane and there's no assistance.

Old age is a PITA!
I concur... But it's better than not getting old.

The next time we enter an airport, I'm gonna look like a circus act...
I'll push the large bag to the counter, carrying a folded transport-chair
on my shoulder (we plan to check both), while wearing a backpack.
Meanwhile, DW will sit on a chair waiting for wheelchair assistance.
-- We'll see how that works out. --

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would interpret this as "the Stuff Gods" telling me I had too much stuff.

I didn't pack that much when I spent two years hikking Africa.
Too much medication more like it. A carry on bag is pretty small. Wearing one pair of shoes for months, not a good idea. another day in the fifties, didn’t bring clothes for cool weather. But you know, I don’t need to defend myself for filling up a carry on bag, you take the opposite point of view as everyone on this site.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
The 4-wheel luggage is easier to maneuver through the airport than the 2 wheelers. I bought 2 of the hard-sided carry-on ones last year and then a carry-on/personal item bag with a wide panel sewn onto it the slips over the handle of the rolling bag. That made a big difference in being able to get through the airport easier.

The personal item bag is great for 13" or even the new smaller 15" laptops, iPad, Kindles, and the long thin packing cubes stack nicely and hold hubs stoma supplies, meds, various charging cables, it also has several zip pockets for passports & phone. It was made by a company named Lily & Drew. Of course it is currently out of stock. It will fit under the seat. I also have a Vera Bradly tote that has the slip over the handle feature. It just has 3 pockets on the inside, but is soft and squishes under the seat.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Too much medication more like it. A carry on bag is pretty small. Wearing one pair of shoes for months, not a good idea. another day in the fifties, didn’t bring clothes for cool weather. But you know, I don’t need to defend myself for filling up a carry on bag, you take the opposite point of view as everyone on this site.
You absolutely don't need to defend yourself regarding how much you put into your carry on (as we've had luggage lost we tend to put more in our carry ons now) or how much luggage you bring.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii

The difference being, I'm really happy with the load I have to carry, the speed at which I carry it, the amount of time I spend in airports, customs lines and similar (the least possible). Carrying 150 pounds of stuff through the cobblestone streets of Europe is my very definition of "no fun." Trying to roll wheelie luggage full of vitamins and snorkel gear through 1,500 year old streets -- thanks, no.

Every time I travel and see a couple who looks like they're 15 seconds away from finding a divorce lawyer because of how stressed they are on their trip, it's always Americans with the amount of luggage that Victorian-era travelers brought on safari in Kenya. "Be sure to pack the Victrola and all the wax cylinders. There's new Al Jolson songs in there!"

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
The difference being, I'm really happy with the load I have to carry, the speed at which I carry it, the amount of time I spend in airports, customs lines and similar (the least possible). Carrying 150 pounds of stuff through the cobblestone streets of Europe is my very definition of "no fun." Trying to roll wheelie luggage full of vitamins and snorkel gear through 1,500 year old streets -- thanks, no.

Every time I travel and see a couple who looks like they're 15 seconds away from finding a divorce lawyer because of how stressed they are on their trip, it's always Americans with the amount of luggage that Victorian-era travelers brought on safari in Kenya. "Be sure to pack the Victrola and all the wax cylinders. There's new Al Jolson songs in there!"
You do you, as I'm sure you will. The rest of us are happy with the load we have to carry, whatever it may be. But you don't have to keep denigrating others for their choices. And yes, you are doing that.