• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 31 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 31st Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

From Zero to Gold

Richelle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham National Harbor
Wyndham Canterbury
Wyndham Atlanta
Bay Club of Sandestin
Williamsburg Plantation
I agree but wanted to add something about the reserve card. You do get a $300 travel credit so the fee is really $150 for the year instead of $450. Also it has higher rewards so in the end the reserve card usually ends up being the better card.

It’s a definite bonus for someone who flies a lot because in addition to the credit, I think you get lounge access as well. I just didn’t want him to think I was talking about the $450 card, and him blow it off because it was too much. I figured he might be curious enough to see what you get for $450 and if it was something he wanted, he’d get it. Otherwise, the $95 a year card will work for most people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bendadin

TUG Member
Reaction score
It’s a definite bonus for someone who flies a lot because in addition to the credit, I think you get lounge access as well. I just didn’t want him to think I was talking about the $450 card, and him blow it off because it was too much. I figured he might be curious enough to see what you get for $450 and if it was something he wanted, he’d get it. Otherwise, the $95 a year card will work for most people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My husband and I each have our own accounts with this card. So yes, $450 x 2. You receive $300 statement credit on your first $300 travel charges. So that brings the net price down to $150. Each account comes with global entry that we do use. So basically that is another $20/year perk. We get 3% on travel charges and my MF are considered a travel charge. Other than that we get 1%. We also get the lounge access. Each member is allowed to have two guests. Hubby doesn't use it unless I'm there and I push him to go. I use that perk though and I actually paid $75 to add my son to my account so that he could also have access to the lounges (with guests.) I typically travel with my three youngest so I had to have two cards for the lounge.

We did get the bonus points on both accounts. We just ended up taking statement credits on both. They do give a 25% bonus when using your points on flights and stays. Since I don't buy airline tickets and we use our timeshares, we couldn't effectively reach the 25% bonus.

Ecelso

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
PBC - Resale Pending
HitchHiker71 here. This is what I did last year to get to temp VIPP, permanent VIPG, for about 27k all in. We list in the mid-Atlantic area, so our two 3+ bedroom PICs are within driving distance for us so if the they ever become non-PIC eligible or if Wyndham sunsets the PIC program for any reason, we can still use the two weeks easily. We have one 3 bedroom PIC in OBX at OBBC I (Outer Banks Beach Club I) oceanfront view - week 42 - and our second 4 bedroom PIC is in Colonies at Williamsburg week 37. MFs are $753/$859 for 2019. I agree the MFs are much lower than almost any other Wyndham property in comparison. It will take us about 8-10 years to break even when comparing against resale - but our usage patterns aren't "the norm" when compared to most other timesharing folks - so just because what we did works for us doesn't mean it works for everyone else. :)

We own 210k CWA points and 508k PIC points. We also received 590k bonus points when we made our developer purchase via telesales. We paid about $134/1000 points when we purchased in July 2018. We recently purchased 689k resale deeded points at National Harbor - partially for rental income to help offset MFs over time, but also to give us more flexibility in booking vacations for other family members and for family vacations. Still waiting on this contract to actually transfer though.

Thank you so much for sharing what worked for you. Seems like you know how to make great use of your points and VIP status to balance cost. This was very informative. Many thanks!

capital city

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Panama City 520k

Club Access 801k
My husband and I each have our own accounts with this card. So yes, $450 x 2. You receive $300 statement credit on your first $300 travel charges. So that brings the net price down to $150. Each account comes with global entry that we do use. So basically that is another $20/year perk. We get 3% on travel charges and my MF are considered a travel charge. Other than that we get 1%. We also get the lounge access. Each member is allowed to have two guests. Hubby doesn't use it unless I'm there and I push him to go. I use that perk though and I actually paid $75 to add my son to my account so that he could also have access to the lounges (with guests.) I typically travel with my three youngest so I had to have two cards for the lounge.

We did get the bonus points on both accounts. We just ended up taking statement credits on both. They do give a 25% bonus when using your points on flights and stays. Since I don't buy airline tickets and we use our timeshares, we couldn't effectively reach the 25% bonus.

I think its 3% on dining as well. Not positive, I also believe the reserve is 1.5% when used for travel. The one Richelle referenced is 1.25 that's why i believe the reserve comes out ahead in the long run.

Richelle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham National Harbor
Wyndham Canterbury
Wyndham Atlanta
Bay Club of Sandestin
Williamsburg Plantation

I think its 3% on dining as well. Not positive, I also believe the reserve is 1.5% when used for travel. The one Richelle referenced is 1.25 that's why I believe the reserve comes out ahead in the long run.

You two convinced me. I have a Chase Freedom card I wasn't using, so they allowed me to switch that card to the Sapphire Reserve. I don't get the sign-up bonus, but I also don't get a hit on my credit for opening a new card. I'll see how the reserve works out for me this year. If I don't get enough benefit out of it, I will just downgrade to the preferred. I already paid for my Global entry application, but I can probably use it to renew my TSA pre-check while I wait for the global entry to get conditionally approved. They are saying up to a year now, it has only been five months.

@capital city You are correct that it is 3% on dining, as well and you get 50% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards. You are also correct that the other one is 1.25%

Last edited:

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club I (PIC Plus)
Colonies at Williamsburg (PIC Plus)
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
National Harbor Resale (689k)
It's Edisto, Fairfield Glade, Flagstaff and Pagosa I believe that offer the deals.

Correct, these are the four piggyback contract locations that I'm aware of as well. I've been dealing with someone from Edisto via email/phone periodically in an attempt to find a decent piggyback deal to get up to permanent VIPP - but a solution remains elusive to date.

Silverdollar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Makes sense and is good advise for me from a financial point of view. But seems like many VIP members are really happy with their status and abilities so been wondering what is the least expensive route. Thanks for the reply.
I have been a member of Wyndham (formerly Fairfield) for 36 years. I became VIP Gold in 2005 using the PIC Plus program, and in more recent years became VIP Platinum using piggyback contracts. The PIC Plus program is still the least expensive route to VIP Gold, but changes to the piggyback program have made it more expensive to go VIP Platinum.

When I went VIPP, I was able to make a 64k points developer purchase and combine it with a piggyback contract of 413k points, plus another 77k point contract, all with low maintenance fees. At that time, my piggybacks were $40/1000. Since that time some changes have been made to the program. Now, they say you have to purchase developer points equal to the piggyback contract points. However, in an earlier post, it was said they may be willing to bend on this.

Ecelso

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
PBC - Resale Pending
I have been a member of Wyndham (formerly Fairfield) for 36 years. I became VIP Gold in 2005 using the PIC Plus program, and in more recent years became VIP Platinum using piggyback contracts. The PIC Plus program is still the least expensive route to VIP Gold, but changes to the piggyback program have made it more expensive to go VIP Platinum.

When I went VIPP, I was able to make a 64k points developer purchase and combine it with a piggyback contract of 413k points, plus another 77k point contract, all with low maintenance fees. At that time, my piggybacks were $40/1000. Since that time some changes have been made to the program. Now, they say you have to purchase developer points equal to the piggyback contract points. However, in an earlier post, it was said they may be willing to bend on this.

Thanks for the reply. I like the idea of VIP but at the moment I think getting the feel of TS is first in order.... I keep learning many things from tuggers and I realize I need at least one or two years under my belt with the TS to see if is worth the investment for me. Thanks again for the input.