• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Executor of Estate with FL Timeshare - Disposing of Unwanted Contracts

LeslieDet

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've been searching posts but I haven't found the answers I'm looking for. I'm a Disney Vacation Club owner and figuring out the value of banked points and contracts is very simple. Understanding the value of these two contracts, the accumulated RCI points, etc. is far more opaque, and that's what I'm hoping for some insight on from the experienced members on this board.

To be clear, nobody is being **forced** to take on the timeshare. I'm not sure where you read that in my post. The process for identifying a distributee who is willing to inherit it, however, is likely to be long and costly. As the executor, it's my legal obligation to take this situation to resolution in a way that protects the estate for the beneficiaries.
I’m not sure why your lawyer says it would have to go through the process for intestate succession in Florida. If your mom had a valid will and you’re the executor, if you can find someone to buy (even for $1) the unwanted timeshare, or simply give it away via the probate process if the named heirs do not want ownership, then that ancillary process won’t take forever. It makes no sense that the lawyer you spoke to said every potential relative would need to be considered. Perhaps Florida has some really convoluted process, but I would suggest you speak with a different lawyer to understand your authority as executor to dispose of an unwanted piece of real property when named heirs do not want it.

Just substitute a home for that timeshare to use as an example. If none of the named beneficiaries wanted the home, the executor would make the decision to sell the property and then the net proceeds would be part of the res of the estate. It seems extremely unusual that a will would be ignored and then the asset treated as if the decedent died without a will. Very, very strange.

Last edited:

LeslieDet

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sounds like an excuse by MVC. Why can't the executor who is charged with dispensing the estate give it away if no heirs want it?
Based upon prior conversations with MVW, the company has a policy prohibiting participation in any probate. Thus, it will not agree to accept title from an estate. The transfer must be from a living person. Yet another reason why owning via a revocable trust is beneficial.

DopeyRunr

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Villas at Regal Palms
I’m not sure why your lawyer says it would have to go through the process for intestate succession in Florida. If your mom had a valid will and you’re the executor, if you can find someone to buy (even for $1) the unwanted timeshare, or simply give it away via the probate process if the named heirs do not want ownership, then that ancillary process won’t take forever. It makes no sense that the lawyer you spoke to said every potential relative would need to be considered. Perhaps Florida has some really convoluted process, but I would suggest you speak with a different lawyer to understand your authority as executor to dispose of an unwanted piece of real property when named heirs do not want it.

Just substitute a home for that timeshare to use as an example. If none of the named beneficiaries wanted the home, the executor would make the decision to sell the property and then the net proceeds would be part of the res of the estate. It seems extremely unusual that a will would be ignored and then the asset treated as if the decedent died without a will. Very, very strange.
I understand your point, but rather than a home, what if it were a superfund site in the estate. A toxic asset that not only held no value but was viewed as a liability. I mean, that’s essentially what I’m dealing with.

In FL estate law, if all beneficiaries disclaim all or part of the inheritance, it falls under the Anti-Lapse provision and distributed following the rules of intestate succession.

Last edited:

LeslieDet

TUG Member
Reaction score
I understand your point, but rather than a home, what if it were a superfund site in the estate. A toxic asset that not only held no value but was viewed as a liability. I mean, that’s essentially what I’m dealing with.

In FL estate law, if all beneficiaries disclaim all or part of the inheritance, it falls under the Anti-Lapse provision and distributed following the rules of intestate succession.

I have not studied FL law. While I appreciate that the timeshare isn’t wanted, it’s not a superfund site. There should still be a provision that allows the executor to sell the property, without it being treated as subject to the Anti-Lapse provision. Perhaps that provision is triggered by virtue of the disclaimer? I would suggest determining if there’s a work around by the heirs‘ agreement to sell the property, say for $1, which then the executor would do.

DopeyRunr

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Villas at Regal Palms
And that was my initial, and really only, question - given my description of the contracts and sweeteners, are these something we could pretty confidently get rid of? Are 130000 RCI points available to transfer really attractive?

Ski-Dad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Grandview LV - Vacation Villages
And that was my initial, and really only, question - given my description of the contracts and sweeteners, are these something we could pretty confidently get rid of? Are 130000 RCI points available to transfer really attractive?
I am not familiar with your resort, but 133K points does have value of at least $1300. Offer it on the free TUG listing; offer to pay the closing costs; and throw in the 133K points. I think you stand a decent chance of getting a taker.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
yes resorts enrolled in RCI points with reasonable mainteance fees have a better than average chance of being picked up when offered for free on the resale market!

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
If it were me, I'd (1) fire the Florida attorney who seems to want to create work for himself, (2) dismiss the ancillary probate case (if that can be done), (3) file disclaimers from the beneficiaries in the main case, and (3) tell the HOA/management that they'll need to foreclose. But first, you may want to consult an actual probate attorney, and not a bunch of armchair quarterbacks.

BTW, my Will (and my wife's) say that, if none of the named benes want our TSs, the executor/pers.rep. is to dispose of them by sale, gift, surrender or abandonment at his/her absolute discretion.

DopeyRunr

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Villas at Regal Palms
But first, you may want to consult an actual probate attorney, and not a bunch of armchair quarterbacks.
I've been asking about how to sell/give away the timeshare and all most people on this forum want to do is provide inaccurate legal advice.

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am not familiar with your resort, but 133K points does have value of at least $1300. Offer it on the free TUG listing; offer to pay the closing costs; and throw in the 133K points. I think you stand a decent chance of getting a taker.
@DopeyRunr

Your answer is in the post I quoted above.

Post your FREE TIMESHARE AD here:

Here is a template of what details to include:

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I've been asking about how to sell/give away the timeshare and all most people on this forum want to do is provide inaccurate legal advice.
If you want legal advice, go talk to a lawyer. We are timeshare owners who are doing our best to share our experience. This is not a legal forum.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
If you want to know what the timeshare and accumulated points are worth for resale, it it likely $0. Thus why everyone is suggesting to give them away for free.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
@DopeyRunr you came asking for help. People tried to help and all you do is diss them. Hint: Perhaps you didn't need to include the information about your lawyer and could have been clearer about your request on how to give away your timeshare if that is all you wanted.

Even better, there are hundreds of postings asking the same question you asked. Had you performed your due diligence and conducted a search on this site (or even looked at a sticky on how to give away your timeshare per @HudsHut) you would have had your answer and you would not have wasted everyone's time in trying to assist.

Good luck unloading your timeshare. I hope you don't spend all of your inheritance on that lawyer.

Chocolate62

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hollywood Sands Resort
Just to put a finer point on this, has there ever been a recorded instance on the TUG forums, of someone who went into foreclosure just for unpaid maintenance fees, and ended up with a deficiency judgment? Now add in the fact that this is an estate, this just seems so unlikely as to be functionally impossible, and your risk of ruin is being found liable for maybe a few years of maintenance fees. A court can’t force you to take on this timeshare.
Does the deed not need to be transferred into their names before trying to give them away?

Chocolate62

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hollywood Sands Resort
I've been searching posts but I haven't found the answers I'm looking for. I'm a Disney Vacation Club owner and figuring out the value of banked points and contracts is very simple. Understanding the value of these two contracts, the accumulated RCI points, etc. is far more opaque, and that's what I'm hoping for some insight on from the experienced members on this board.

To be clear, nobody is being **forced** to take on the timeshare. I'm not sure where you read that in my post. The process for identifying a distributee who is willing to inherit it, however, is likely to be long and costly. As the executor, it's my legal obligation to take this situation to resolution in a way that protects the estate for the beneficiaries.
Is it possible that your 2 sisters do a quick claim deed to you and then you give it away or deed it back? The deed will need to be changed; correct? I am in a similar situation and trying to figure out best options.

Fido Chuckwagon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney’s Saratoga Springs Resort; Wyndham Bonnet Creek; Wyndham Bali Hai; Wyndham Canterbury; Wyndham Grand Desert; Marriott Grand Chateau
Does the deed not need to be transferred into their names before trying to give them away?
No, an executor of an estate can deed it away, provided ancillary probate has been opened in the state the property is located.