• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

End of club intrawest affiliation

Jason245

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe it's just me, but shouldn't this kind of change be formally communicated to the members by HGVC so they can plan their vacations accordingly? I'd hate to be planning to go to one of the CI resorts and find out they haven't been available to us for months.
I am sure the sales team will be telling prospects about all the Canadian resort options up till feb 15 at midnight...

Then those options will disappear from the website and they will get confused when the first set of prospects for the 16th come in.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe it's just me, but shouldn't this kind of change be formally communicated to the members by HGVC so they can plan their vacations accordingly? I'd hate to be planning to go to one of the CI resorts and find out they haven't been available to us for months.

I agree with you. If I hadn't read it on Tug, I wouldn't know about it.

ccwu

TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe they should try to take over the board and use that power change management companies (who knows. .Maybe hgvc would be interested. .)

That being said.. those folks at diamond are very smart. .I doubt they would have bought the company without some assurance that they could keep managing. ..I wouldn't be surprised if they start allowing unhappy members to deed back their property. .decrease unsatisfied customers and keep collecting management fees and increase voting rights..

I am member DRI (platinum elite). I do not see CI resorts in the inventory yet. DRI has a lots of VI resorts in the inventory but if you search for availability, you can never find one. So if CI is appearing in the future in DRI website, I doubt there is availability. Actually, CI member was guaranteed that the CI would not let DRI access to the reservation. But as DRI becomes their management company, they will try to convert CI member to DRI. Once that is done, there will have some inventory of CI. This is the same when HGVC become management company of the affiliated resorts, Hilton will try to have the owners of the affiliated resort to upgrade to HGVC points member. http://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...e-Intrawest-Resort-Club#.VqKgHuPcn0g.facebook

Jodi0415

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here at CI Palm Desert! It is beautiful!! Love it! Will miss this in our Hilton inventory, especially since we live so close! We have II as well, maybe we'll try to trade in sometime!

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points

Bill4728

Reaction score
I am member DRI (platinum elite). I do not see CI resorts in the inventory yet. DRI has a lots of VI resorts in the inventory but if you search for availability, you can never find one. So if CI is appearing in the future in DRI website, I doubt there is availability. Actually, CI member was guaranteed that the CI would not let DRI access to the reservation. But as DRI becomes their management company, they will try to convert CI member to DRI. Once that is done, there will have some inventory of CI. This is the same when HGVC become management company of the affiliated resorts, Hilton will try to have the owners of the affiliated resort to upgrade to HGVC points member. http://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...e-Intrawest-Resort-Club#.VqKgHuPcn0g.facebook

I do not believe that there will be a lot of CI inventory in the near future for DRI owners. That is because there are not lots of unsold CI points which the DRI management can use to give inventory to DRI owners. It will likely improve over time but for the next year or so I don't think you'll see much.

tashamen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Embarc points (former Club Intrawest), Trapp Family Lodge
I do not believe that there will be a lot of CI inventory in the near future for DRI owners. That is because there are not lots of unsold CI points which the DRI management can use to give inventory to DRI owners. It will likely improve over time but for the next year or so I don't think you'll see much.

I agree with Bill. And as a CI owner you couldn't pay me to join DRI - what could possibly be the incentive, especially as I'm sure it would cost money to join? I use my CI points only at the 9 locations, and haven't used them to exchange in years. (I have another ts for that purpose.)

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Yes, that is the same company... Not exactly universally liked by the owners community...

Wow DRI sounds like timeshare purgatory. Something feels terribly wrong from a governance perspective when a Timeshare management company can take over the board and then vote themselves to be the management company and then vote to raise fees that are paid to themselves.

Perhaps Boards should to vote themselves a "poison pill" of sorts so that:

the Members of the board must have an independent and separate relationship from the management company they hire because they are acting in a fiduciary capacity for the owners of the timeshare. To do otherwise constitutes a conflict of interest in which they would need to recuse themselves from any voting and participation in such matters.

The TS industry never ceases to surprise me how they get away with activities that would be regulated and taboo in other industries.

Jason245

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow DRI sounds like timeshare purgatory. Something feels terribly wrong from a governance perspective when a Timeshare management company can take over the board and then vote themselves to be the management company and then vote to raise fees that are paid to themselves.

Perhaps Boards should to vote themselves a "poison pill" of sorts so that:

the Members of the board must have an independent and separate relationship from the management company they hire because they are acting in a fiduciary capacity for the owners of the timeshare. To do otherwise constitutes a conflict of interest in which they would need to recuse themselves from any voting and participation in such matters.

The TS industry never ceases to surprise me how they get away with activities that would be regulated and taboo in other industries.
I take it you have never looked at the board of directors on most fortune 500 companies. .

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I take it you have never looked at the board of directors on most fortune 500 companies. .

Perhaps that was the case a long time ago, however have you ever heard of Sarbanes-Oxley? Dodd-Frank? Insider trading?

SEC and other government requirements of public boards have become significant and substantial and certain procedures of governance and compliance are mandated. The officers of a public company can now go to jail if their financial reports are not in compliance as it is now legally assumed that the CEO and officers are personally liable.

Companies take out insurance to protect their directors and must take certain steps to ensure that proper procedures are followed to maintain coverage.

Companies use provisions such as 10b5 provisions to enable the directors to mitigate insider trading.

European regulations are even more stringent with board representation quotas etc.

jestme

Reaction score
FYI,
HOA boards at all HGVC owned clubs have a majority of Hilton executives. In some cases, there are owners on the board as well, but (so far) never enough for a majority.

Jason245

TUG Member
Reaction score
Perhaps that was the case a long time ago, however have you ever heard of Sarbanes-Oxley? Dodd-Frank? Insider trading?

SEC and other government requirements of public boards have become significant and substantial and certain procedures of governance and compliance are mandated. The officers of a public company can now go to jail if their financial reports are not in compliance as it is now legally assumed that the CEO and officers are personally liable.

Companies take out insurance to protect their directors and must take certain steps to ensure that proper procedures are followed to maintain coverage.

Companies use provisions such as 10b5 provisions to enable the directors to mitigate insider trading.

European regulations are even more stringent with board representation quotas etc.
The only requirement is that there be a financial expert (not even a cpa) on the board... insider trading has nothing to do with bod. There are outside directors. . But those people are generally management of other large companies (and friends of management ).

I suggest you look again at the boards.. the role of chairman and ceo are combined pretty regularly. .

Jason245

TUG Member
Reaction score
FYI,
HOA boards at all HGVC owned clubs have a majority of Hilton executives. In some cases, there are owners on the board as well, but (so far) never enough for a majority.
I would imagine this is the case for most of the boards of Westgate and others companies too..

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
T... insider trading has nothing to do with bod.

Umm...Tell that to Martha Stewart. http://www.accuridecorp.com/investors/insider-traiding-guidelines/

There appear to be laws (at least in Florida and possibly elsewhere) governing conflicts of interest on HOA's and how such conflicts must be disclosed. It appears (and good governance dictates) that those with such interests must recuse themselves from voting on items where there is financial gain involved. This would include voting their employer in as the management company. If these items are not followed to the letter of the law, it opens up the HOA (and you as owners who pay for the HOA) to expensive lawsuits for non-compliance.

Florida Statutes Section 718.111 (1)(a) states as follows:

"An officer, director, or manager may not solicit, offer to accept, or accept any thing or service of value for which consideration has not been provided for his or her own benefit or that of his or her immediate family, from any person providing or proposing to provide goods or services to the association."

"...The fact of such relationship or interest is disclosed or known to the board of directors or committee which authorizes, approves, or ratifies the contract or transaction by a vote or consent sufficient for the purpose without counting the votes or consents of such interested directors;"

Of course this does not stop BODs from bringing in allies on the board to vote for them, however strict compliance and disclosure of conflicts must be adhered to otherwise management contracts are voidable in a court of law.

http://www.davis-stirling.com/ConflictsofInterest/tabid/1299/Default.aspx

This could be the way TS owners could remove Westgate and DRI from management contracts.

Jason245

TUG Member
Reaction score
Umm...Tell that to Martha Stewart. http://www.accuridecorp.com/investors/insider-traiding-guidelines/

There appear to be laws (at least in Florida and possibly elsewhere) governing conflicts of interest on HOA's and how such conflicts must be disclosed. It appears (and good governance dictates) that those with such interests must recuse themselves from voting on items where there is financial gain involved. This would include voting their employer in as the management company. If these items are not followed to the letter of the law, it opens up the HOA (and you as owners who pay for the HOA) to expensive lawsuits for non-compliance.

Florida Statutes Section 718.111 (1)(a) states as follows:

"An officer, director, or manager may not solicit, offer to accept, or accept any thing or service of value for which consideration has not been provided for his or her own benefit or that of his or her immediate family, from any person providing or proposing to provide goods or services to the association."

"...The fact of such relationship or interest is disclosed or known to the board of directors or committee which authorizes, approves, or ratifies the contract or transaction by a vote or consent sufficient for the purpose without counting the votes or consents of such interested directors;"

Of course this does not stop BODs from bringing in allies on the board to vote for them, however strict compliance and disclosure of conflicts must be adhered to otherwise management contracts are voidable in a court of law.

This could be the way TS owners could remove Westgate and DRI from management contracts.

ummm... again, insider trading equals trading stock or giving others insider information to trade stock... that is what martha stuart did. By giving insider info she broke the law which is something that applies to ALL persons with insider knowledge of a company (not BOD specific). This is applicable to every employee in large companies, heck, most big companies even have restrictions and disclosure requirements on stock purchases and sales by their employees (including windows where employees can not buy/sell any company stock).

As for the statue, I think you need to re-read it.

As you may (or may not be aware), Consideration = employment services.

Basically, what the law says (in plain speak) is that a company can not bribe the HOA Board members in order to get business.

Specific examples of illigal things would be:

1. a landscaping company giving superbowl/regular football/any type of tickets to the HOA president as a result of them selecting the landscaper for the contract.

2. A renovation company giving the HOA board member(s) a kickback of a percentage of the contract size.

Board members who are also employees of management companies provide consideration to the management company and have FULL voting rights. That being said, they are required to disclose that affiliation. It should further be noted, that the big management companies also OWN units within the Timeshare and have voting rights for selecting board members.

None of this is illegal, however if you don't believe me I highly recommend you seek competent legal advise.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Here is a helpful publication on HOAs published by the Attorney General's office in New York:

https://www.ag.ny.gov/sites/default/files/pdfs/bureaus/real_estate_finance/HOA problems.pdf

Certain actions by a director or officer constitute a conflict of interest, and
may be void or voidable if no disclosure was made. NPCL §715.
Directors and officers must act in good faith and with reasonable diligence,
care and skill. NPCL §717.
Directors and officers may be sued for misconduct. NPCL §720

What this indicates is if directors do not disclose and publicly recuse themselves from voting in such matters they open themselves up for a lawsuit because they are not following standard practices of governance and compliance. Of course there is board insurance but they will typically not cover such losses if there is gross negligence.

Jason245

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here is a helpful publication on HOAs published by the Attorney General's office in New York:

https://www.ag.ny.gov/sites/default/files/pdfs/bureaus/real_estate_finance/HOA problems.pdf

Certain actions by a director or officer constitute a conflict of interest, and
may be void or voidable if no disclosure was made. NPCL §715.
Directors and officers must act in good faith and with reasonable diligence,
care and skill. NPCL §717.
Directors and officers may be sued for misconduct. NPCL §720

What this indicates is if directors do not disclose and publicly recuse themselves from voting in such matters they open themselves up for a lawsuit because they are not following standard practices of governance and compliance. Of course there is board insurance but they will typically not cover such losses if there is gross negligence.
Are you talking about management company employee board members recusing themselves? They are only required to disclose their employment by management company and act in good faith.

If you think they need to recuses you are misinterpreting the law.

Last edited:

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Are you talking about management company employee board members recusing themselves?

If so you are misinterpreting the law.

On what facts do you base this statement? How would voting in favor of the management company that employs and feeds their family be viewed as acting in good faith? This is about as clear a conflict of interest as it gets. AND a BOD that supports such poor compliance put themselves at risk of being sued for allowing this to happen.

Here's info from a Law firm on standard industry practices for avoiding Conflicts of Interest on boards (see section "No Influence on Vote" aka recuse):

Last edited:

Jason245

TUG Member
Reaction score
On what facts do you base this statement? How would voting in favor of the management company that employs and feeds their family be viewed as acting in good faith? This is about as clear a conflict of interest as it gets. AND a BOD that supports such poor compliance put themselves at risk of being sued for allowing this to happen.

Here's info from a Law firm on standard industry practices for avoiding Conflicts of Interest on boards (see section "No Influence on Vote" aka recuse):

I am going to recommend you seek legal advise, and not going to respond further.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana

So if one wanted to void their timeshare contract (especially if they cannot give it away because maintenance fees from DRI etc. are skyrocketing), this presents a hypothetical solution to nullify it through small claims court:

1) Read the HOA minutes and find out what board members are employees of the management company.
2) Find out what processes were pursued to determine the management company, the documents pertaining to the decision and the costs e.g. did they request competitive bids (like government agencies are required to do by law?) What good faith and due diligence was pursued to ensure management prices were kept low? Were management employees involved in the selection and cost discussion per the minutes?
3) Find out whether management employees recused themselves from management company selection and voting decisions.

If there are violations of any of these, one could take their case to small claims court ($7,500 cap in California would cover maintenance fees and price hikes for several years) and seek to void the contract because the HOA board and management company acted with Conflicts of Interest that are not in line with standard practices for good faith board governance. If Conflicts of Interest are found, a contract can be voided per the opinion of this law group http://www.davis-stirling.com/ConflictsofInterest/tabid/1299/Default.aspx

Would be interesting to see if anyone has tested this in small claims court. (full disclosure: I am not a lawyer so YMMV)

Last edited:

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
Not sure i really want to jump into the debate on the makeup of the HOA boards... but i believe many Timeshare boards are controlled by the developer until a certain percentage of the units at the resort are sold...That is the way is has been with my primary residence as well.. The developer controls things until X percentage has been sold.. The board members are usually developer employees...

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Finally something we can agree on related to this issue.

Jason245 Let's stick to discussing the topic at hand and keep this professional.

We are still waiting on objective facts to substantiate your claim as to why you think a recuse is not needed for board decisions made by management employees pertaining to selection of and auditing costs incurred by the management company.

We have shared substantiated data from lawyers (who specialize in this area) indicating that doing otherwise represents a conflict of interest here: http://www.davis-stirling.com/ConflictsofInterest/tabid/1299/Default.aspx. Notes from the NY Attorney General's Office, and Florida law in this thread.

So far all we have heard from you is your opinion (and several personal attacks)...How do you know that HOA management employees are not recusing themselves from these decisions? What proof do you have that such board behavior is permissible in the eyes of the law?

Jason245

TUG Member
Reaction score
Jason245 Let's stick to discussing the topic at hand and keep this professional.

We are still waiting on objective facts to substantiate your claim as to why you think a recuse is not needed for board decisions made by management employees pertaining to selection of and auditing costs incurred by the management company.

We have shared substantiated data from lawyers (who specialize in this area) indicating that doing otherwise represents a conflict of interest here: http://www.davis-stirling.com/ConflictsofInterest/tabid/1299/Default.aspx. Notes from the NY Attorney General's Office, and Florida law in this thread.

So far all we have heard from you is your opinion (and several personal attacks)...How do you know that HOA management employees are not recusing themselves from these decisions? What proof do you have that such board behavior is permissible in the eyes of the law?

From your source (Which you didn't seem to read in full since I was summarizing what I assumed you read in all my prior posts after you posted this link since you were quoting it)

"Conflicts of interest occur when a board member’s decisions are influenced by his/her personal interests rather than the interests of the association, which can lead to breaches of their fiduciary duties."

Click on Fiduciary duties

http://www.davis-stirling.com/tabid/1542/Default.aspx#axzz3liqSf3ZR

"Business Judgment. In determining whether directors violated their fiduciary duties, courts will use the Business Judgment Rule. To avoid potential breaches, boards should adopt an ethics policy to guide directors."

Click on Business judgment link
http://www.davis-stirling.com/tabid/1547/Default.aspx#axzz3krj3X7au

"orporations Code. Even though officers and directors are deemed fiduciaries, boards are not required to make the "right" decision. Corporations Code §7231(a) protects directors from personal liability if they make decisions that result in damage or loss to others, provided their decisions were made:

In good faith,

In a manner which the directors believe to be in the best interests of the corporation, and

With such care, including reasonable inquiry, as an ordinarily prudent person in a like position would use under similar circumstances."

Going back to your original example:

"Not a Conflict. Oftentimes board members vote on matters that result in a benefit to them that is not a conflict of interest because the matter also benefits the membership as a whole. For example, if a board member votes to add security patrols to the development, there is no conflict of interest since the benefit he receives from the patrol is same benefit received by all members of the association."

In summary your personal opinion of whether or not they are making a good decision is meaningless when it comes to them as elected members of the board making what they feel are the best decisions for the HOA. If they feel in good faith that the management company they work for (but does not provide them with any extra compensation or benefits for steering the business to the management company) is the best selection for the HOA, then they are operating within their rights as long as their employment is fully disclosed when they are running for office.

If they get elected by the owners, then it is on the owners for electing them (hint the management company is also an owner).

Given this 2 minute legal lesson, I am still waiting on you providing me with even a semblance of a legal argument as to why a duly elected board member who is not receiving any type of special compensation is required by any of the fiduciary duty requirements to recuse themselves from a vote on the management company and/or its contract.

To simplify you need to prove that they violated their duty of loyalty:

"We note that the duty of undivided loyalty applies when the board of directors of the association considers maintenance and repair contracts, the operating budget, creation of reserve and operating accounts, etc. Thus, . . . [directors] may not make decisions for the association that benefit their own interests at the expense of the association and its members." (Raven's Cove v. Knuppe.)

As a reminder, the members of the association include the management company (who generally ownes a large chunk of the units if it is DRI)

As for auditing costs... the BOD selects the INDEPENDENT auditor to audit the financials and provide an audit opinion. If a CPA is not independent they CAN NOT issue audited financials, and if they do, they are subject to lose of their license and fines. I am very confused as to where you are going with that one.

Last edited: