• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Email/questions re MR and SPG Points, MR Elite Nights, Marriott VISA and SPG Amex, etc.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I got an email today indicating that I would earn 3X the points for SPG stays. I still have the no longer offered card that only gave 3 points for Marriott stays. DW has the newer card that gets 5X. I don't have an email today for her card. I wonder if we would also get 3 or 5 times the points on Starwood MF payments?

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
I got an email today indicating that I would earn 3X the points for SPG stays. I still have the no longer offered card that only gave 3 points for Marriott stays. DW has the newer card that gets 5X. I don't have an email today for her card. I wonder if we would also get 3 or 5 times the points on Starwood MF payments?

I got the email today verifying 5X MRP multipliers "at any participating hotel in the SPG program."

Good question about the timeshare MF's. Before the spin-off to Vistana I would have guessed that yes, if they earned bonus multipliers in SPG when that affiliated card was used, then they'd earn them now in Marriott Rewards. But with the Vistana timeshares not being affiliated with Marriott at all, it wouldn't come as a surprise if their MF's don't earn bonuses. So, good question, but who should be asked?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I got the email today verifying 5X MRP multipliers "at any participating hotel in the SPG program."

Good question about the timeshare MF's. Before the spin-off to Vistana I would have guessed that yes, if they earned bonus multipliers in SPG when that affiliated card was used, then they'd earn them now in Marriott Rewards. But with the Vistana timeshares not being affiliated with Marriott at all, it wouldn't come as a surprise if their MF's don't earn bonuses. So, good question, but who should be asked?

So far, people are reporting that their Vistana MFs are earning the multiplier on the Starwood Amex Card. Not sure if this will carry over to the Marriott card, but we will find out.

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
Earning MRPs fir a Starwood stay

I will soon be staying at the Westin Saint John.

I received an email from Marriott stating I would now earn 5 points per dollar spent at participating Marriott and Starwood Hotels

"Announcing an exclusive new cardmember benefit: You can now earn Marriott Rewards® points across the new Marriott portfolio of 5,700 properties in 110 countries.

Use your Marriott Rewards® Premier Credit Card at any participating hotel in the SPG program and you'll now earn 5 points per $1 – just like you do at Marriott Rewards and Ritz-Carlton Rewards® hotels."

And do you think I would also earn the 10 points per dollar spent while at the resort?
If so we would give our MR number in check in rather than our SPG number to earn 15 plus platinum benefit while there.

Last edited:

downtownrb

Reaction score
I will soon be staying at the Westin Saint John.

I received an email from Marriott stating I would now earn 5 points per dollar spent at participating Marriott and Starwood Hotels

"Announcing an exclusive new cardmember benefit: You can now earn Marriott Rewards® points across the new Marriott portfolio of 5,700 properties in 110 countries.

Use your Marriott Rewards® Premier Credit Card at any participating hotel in the SPG program and you'll now earn 5 points per $1 – just like you do at Marriott Rewards and Ritz-Carlton Rewards® hotels."

And do you think I would also earn the 10 points per dollar spent while at the resort?
If so we would give our MR number in check in rather than our SPG number to earn 15 plus platinum benefit while there.

Not exactly.

Yes you can use the credit card and get 5 points but you cannot give them your Marriott Rewards number.

You will need to sign up for a SPG account before arriving, and if you have Marriott status, link the accounts so that the status is matched.

The points will post in your SPG account - not Marriott. After they post, you can transfer them for free from SPG to Marriott. 1 SPG = 3 Marriott.

Points earning is based on the SPG program and not the Marriott program.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I am not sure WSJ the timeshare would count as a qualifying stay for elite nights since it is Vistna not Starwood/Marriott. if you booked through the hotel site you may earn night credits. if you are staying in an SVN stay or II stay then my guess is no.

Last edited:

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Not exactly.

Yes you can use the credit card and get 5 points but you cannot give them your Marriott Rewards number.

You will need to sign up for a SPG account before arriving, and if you have Marriott status, link the accounts so that the status is matched.

The points will post in your SPG account - not Marriott. After they post, you can transfer them for free from SPG to Marriott. 1 SPG = 3 Marriott.

Points earning is based on the SPG program and not the Marriott program.

Thanks.

I already have two SPG accounts and they are linked. DH is platinum and I am gold. I do not have SPG Amex but Sapohire Reserve that earns 3 UR per $1

Wondering if platinum SPG earn StarPoints at a higher rate?

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I am not sure WSJ the timeshare would count as a qualifying stay for elite nights since it is Vistna not Starwood/Marriott. if you booked through the hotel site you may earn night credits. if you are staying in an ATM stay or II stay then my guess is no.

I believe you are correct. Starwood/VSE stays have never counted as nights stayed for the SPG program unlike the Marriott program. I imagine that if you booked for cash thru the website they would????

However the timeshares are still branded with the names Sheraton and Westin. I guess time will tell.

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

So far, people are reporting that their Vistana MFs are earning the multiplier on the Starwood Amex Card. Not sure if this will carry over to the Marriott card, but we will find out.
I see my thread was merged with Dioxide.

Not asking the same question as mine was about hotel stays and I think Dioxide wanted to know about Maintanance fees.

Anyway Dioxide, I just put $100 VSE maint fee on my Marriott Reward Card. I will let you know what happens regarding points earned.

Edit, here is how it is posted on my MRP CC. However my payment is not until 11/28

Nov 1, 2016
WSJ VIRGIN GRAND CONDO
$100.00

Last edited:

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
A bit confused by this thread. I have both the SPG Amex and Marriott Visa.

I have been using SPG Amex for SPG charges (MF and Stays) and Marriott Visa for Marriott charges (MF and stays). Maybe I need to use SPG Amex for Marriott stays since it gives 2X SPG points and when converted to MRPs, they become 6X? What else should I be doing?

I did not get an email (or maybe I deleted it) about changes.

Thanks.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I see my thread was merged with Dioxide.

Not asking the same question as mine was about hotel stays and I think Dioxide wanted to know about Maintanance fees.

Anyway Dioxide, I just put $100 VSE maint fee on my Marriott Reward Card. I will let you know what happens regarding points earned.

Edit, here is how it is posted on my MRP CC. However my payment is not until 11/28

Nov 1, 2016
WSJ VIRGIN GRAND CONDO
$100.00

I merged the threads because both are talking about the same email that was sent to all Marriott Rewards members. With the MR/SPG programs recent integration it's inevitable that there will be a lot of related questions and that the topic will branch off (as it has.) I'm just trying to head off duplicate posts/threads.

{ETA} This is the full text of the email:
Announcing an exclusive new cardmember benefit: You can now earn Marriott Rewards® points across the new Marriott portfolio of 5,700 properties in 110 countries.

Use your Marriott Rewards® Premier Credit Card at any participating hotel in the SPG program and you'll now earn 5 points per $1 – just like you do at Marriott Rewards and Ritz-Carlton Rewards® hotels.

MORE PLACES. MORE POINTS. MORE POSSIBILITIES.
You'll earn 5 points for each $1 spent on qualifying purchases made at participating Marriott and The Ritz-Carlton locations, and all Starwood-branded Hotels which participate in Starwood Preferred Guest, including participating: Four Points Hotels, Sheraton Hotels, Aloft Hotels, W Hotels, Le Meriden Hotels, Luxury Collection Hotels, Element Hotels, Westin Hotels, St. Regis Hotels, Tribute Portfolio Hotels and Design Hotels. “Participating Marriott and The Ritz-Carlton locations” means all Marriott and The Ritz-Carlton branded hotels which participate in Marriott Rewards or The Ritz-Carlton Rewards. Go to marriottrewards.com, ritzcarltonrewards.com, or spg.com, as applicable, for a list of participating locations.

You may see "5X" in marketing materials to refer to the 5 points you earn for each dollar spent at participating Marriott, The Ritz-Carlton, and Starwood locations. You will only receive the accelerated earn of 5 points for each dollar spent from the credit card program. You will not receive additional points under the Marriott Rewards program for stays at participating SPG locations.

Last edited:

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I merged the threads because both are talking about the same email that was sent to all Marriott Rewards members. With the MR/SPG programs recent integration it's inevitable that there will be a lot of related questions and that the topic will branch off (as it has.) I'm just trying to head off duplicate posts/threads.

{ETA} This is the full text of the email:

Maybe edit/add to the title "MRPs for SPG stays".

Last edited by a moderator:

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maybe edit/add to the title "MRPs for SPG stays".

I thought Dioxide's thread title (5X points at Starwood properties now with the Chase Credit card?) already was clear enough, maybe not? It's being edited to cover questions re MRP's and Elite Night credits at all SPG hotel/resort brands that now come under the Marriott umbrella.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Sue. I did get that email. My thoughts have been it is still better to use SPG Amex for SPG stays, is it not?

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks, Sue. I did get that email. My thoughts have been it is still better to use SPG Amex for SPG stays, is it not?

Not Sue but yes, 2 SO = 6 MRPs

My situation is 5 MRPs for $1 or 3 Ultimate Reward Points.
UR are one to one to MRPs but have value with many other programs

Just wanted to make sure I make the best choice.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA

With the recent changes, you are better to use your SPG Amex for Marriott and Starwood stays. 2x per dollar for each. Thus 6 points per dollar instead of just 5 if you were to use your Marriott Rewards Credit Card at either.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
With the recent changes, you are better to use your SPG Amex for Marriott and Starwood stays. 2x per dollar for each. Thus 6 points per dollar instead of just 5 if you were to use your Marriott Rewards Credit Card at either.

What about to pay for Marriott maintenance fees? Should I use Starwood Amex card as opposed to Marriott Visa card?

Also, when you are staying at Marriott property, if you are using SPG Amex, do you give SPG number instead of Marriott Rewards number? My head is getting fuzzy... I assume we need to use SPG number, right?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
What about to pay for Marriott maintenance fees? Should I use Starwood Amex card as opposed to Marriott Visa card?

That we don't know. GrayFal has done a test. I have also done the same, paying our Starwood MFs with the Marriott card from Chase. If it posts with the 5x multiplier, it is possible that the SPG Amex would do the same. Don't know until you try. You can make a $100 payment to test it out and see if it works. If it does, then pay the remainder of the fees on the card that gets the best return.

Also, when you are staying at Marriott property, if you are using SPG Amex, do you give SPG number instead of Marriott Rewards number? My head is getting fuzzy... I assume we need to use SPG number, right?

No. You can only use your MR number at Marriott hotels and SPG number at Starwood. The programs are still separate on the hotel side. It is only the credit cards that are including the multiplier when using them at any Marriott or Starwood property. You however can pay with whatever credit card works best for you.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
That we don't know. GrayFal has done a test. I have also done the same, paying our Starwood MFs with the Marriott card from Chase. If it posts with the 5x multiplier, it is possible that the SPG Amex would do the same. Don't know until you try. You can make a $100 payment to test it out and see if it works. If it does, then pay the remainder of the fees on the card that gets the best return.

No. You can only use your MR number at Marriott hotels and SPG number at Starwood. The programs are still separate on the hotel side. It is only the credit cards that are including the multiplier when using them at any Marriott or Starwood property. You however can pay with whatever credit card works best for you.

If we are all reading it right, using Marriott Visa for Starwood MFs, get you 5X MRPs. But using Starwood Amex gets 2X SPGs, when converted to MRPs, it would yield 6X MRPs. In this scenario, I would continue to use Starwood Amex to pay Starwood MFs. I think the reverse which is tested by GrayFal would be interesting if paying for Marriott MF using Starwood Amex would then yield 2X SPG, equating to 6X MRPs.

What works best for me is whichever would yield the most MRPs ultimately... and if it means SPG Amex for both Marriott and Starwood property... is that the consensus?

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
If we are all reading it right, using Marriott Visa for Starwood MFs, get you 5X MRPs. But using Starwood Amex gets 2X SPGs, when converted to MRPs, it would yield 6X MRPs. In this scenario, I would continue to use Starwood Amex to pay Starwood MFs. I think the reverse which is tested by GrayFal would be interesting if paying for Marriott MF using Starwood Amex would then yield 2X SPG, equating to 6X MRPs.

What works best for me is whichever would yield the most MRPs ultimately... and if it means SPG Amex for both Marriott and Starwood property... is that the consensus?

For hotel stays, using the SPG Amex is the best option as it will get you 6 MR points when converted from SPG. As for timeshare MFs, we still don't know yet until people test it out.

JEPASVC

TUG Member
Reaction score
More MR points for MF's using the SPG credit card?

If I understand it correctly.. We can get 2 points per dollar when using the SPG American Express. We can also transfer the points from SPG to MR at at 3 to 1 ratio.So by paying the MF's on the SPG card and then transferring to MR we end up getting 6 point per dollar.

Correct ?

Last edited by a moderator:

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
What about the 10-12 MAR points per dollar received when staying at Marriott resorts and referencing your MAR account#. If you use SPG at Marriott wouldn't you lose those 10-12 points per dollar received towards your MAR points account if you use SPG amex since you need to initially direct points at check-in to your SPG account?

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
What about the 10-12 MAR points per dollar received when staying at Marriott resorts and referencing your MAR account#. If you use SPG at Marriott wouldn't you lose those 10-12 points per dollar received towards your MAR points account if you use SPG amex since you need to initially direct points at check-in to your SPG account?

I think what you do is use SPG Amex to pay but give them your MRP number for hotel stay night credits and points. This is getting complexed, and I guess untested.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think what you do is use SPG Amex to pay but give them your MRP number for hotel stay night credits and points. This is getting complexed, and I guess untested.

Actually thinking it through it should work because although the biggest bang for your buck is using your MAR Visa at Marrriott resorts I know not everyone does and I'm sure they get their points or cash back or whatever that alternate card offers as a perk so in this case the SPG Amex would get the offer as proposed without any hook to the MAR points you get for just staying at a Marriott and referencing your MR account#.

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Yes, you are correct. You will end up with 6 MRPs using the Starwood Amex, and I will get 5 MRPs using Marriott Visa.

This is really what I was asking about. Using Marriott Visa (or Chase Sapphire Reserve or Starwood Amex) at Starwood resorts.

I have since found out from Dioxide that when you stay at a Starwood property, as a gold or platinum member (which now corresponds to your Marriott Status) you earn 3 StarOptions per $1 spent. Starwood TS stays have never counted toward elite nights.

I will get 5 MRPs per $1 spent at the resort PLUS 3 SOs per $1 spent which equals 9 MRPs per $1 spent at the 1 SO = 3MRPs

So in the end if using the Marriott Visa and SPG Gold/Plat benefit I will get 14 MRPs per $1 spent

If you use Starwood Amex and SPG Gold/Platinum benefit you will get 15 MRPs per $1 spent

You must give your SPG number at check in to earn the points. Once the SO post in your SPG account you transfer them to your MRP account.
And you must connect your MRP account and your SPG account to transfer points between accounts.

Last edited: