• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Email/questions re MR and SPG Points, MR Elite Nights, Marriott VISA and SPG Amex, etc.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Actually thinking it through it should work because although the biggest bang for your buck is using your MAR Visa at Marrriott resorts I know not everyone does and I'm sure they get their points or cash back or whatever that alternate card offers as a perk so in this case the SPG Amex would get the offer as proposed without any hook to the MAR points you get for just staying at a Marriott and referencing your MR account#.

Sorry, unclear on your comments. The question is how to get the most MRPs, including converted SPG points to MRPs. Is the answer to that question to use SPG Amex to pay for Marriott incidentals or hotel stays, and add MRP number to reservation? I have both cards, and until the merge, I had always used Marriott Visa for Marriott stays.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, you are correct. You will end up with 6 MRPs using the Starwood Amex, and I will get 5 MRPs using Marriott Visa.

This is really what I was asking about. Using Marriott Visa (or Chase Sapphire Reserve or Starwood Amex) at Starwood resorts.

I have since found out from Dioxide that when you stay at a Starwood property, as a gold or platinum member (which now corresponds to your Marriott Status) you earn 3 StarOptions per $1 spent. Starwood TS stays have never counted toward elite nights.

I will get 5 MRPs per $1 spent at the resort PLUS 3 SOs per $1 spent which equals 9 MRPs per $1 spent at the 1 SO = 3MRPs

So in the end if using the Marriott Visa and SPG Gold/Plat benefit I will get 14 MRPs per $1 spent

If you use Starwood Amex and SPG Gold/Platinum benefit you will get 15 MRPs per $1 spent

You must give your SPG number at check in to earn the points. Once the SO post in your SPG account you transfer them to your MRP account.
And you must connect your MRP account and your SPG account to transfer points between accounts.

You are making my head spin like some character out of a horror movie. :confused:

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
You are making my head spin like some character out of a horror movie. :confused:

Sorry. I thought it was quite clear.

Because you have the Starwood Amex, you get 2 SO = 6 MRPs per dollar spent.

Yes, you need to have a SPG account and link it to your MRP account. You will have the same status in each program.

When staying at a Marriott Reaort, at check in give your Marriott reward number to earn 10-12 MRP per dollar spent. Use your Starwood Amex to earn 2SO=6 MRP. Total depending on status. 16-18 MRP/$1 spent

At STarwood Properties give your SPG number to earn 3 SO per dollar spent and your Starwood Amex to earn 2SO per dollar spent. Total 5 SO = 15 MRP/$1 spent.

I have paid $100 on my Marriott Visa of my Westin St John maint fee. See above. I will let you know if it posts with earnings of 5 MRPs per dollar.

You could pay $100 of your Marriott maint fee in your Starwood Amex and tell us here if it posts at 2 SOs per dollar

On other threads, people have posted that the Starwood/VSE maint fees are posting under the travel category for the Chase Sapphire Reserve card so are earning 3 UR points per dollar

Until someone does it we will not know. :cheer:

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Sorry. I thought it was quite clear.

Because you have the Starwood Amex, you get 2 SO = 6 MRPs per dollar spent.

Yes, you need to have a SPG account and link it to your MRP account. You will have the same status in each program.

When staying at a Marriott Reaort, at check in give your Marriott reward number to earn 10-12 MRP per dollar spent. Use your Starwood Amex to earn 2SO=6 MRP. Total depending on status. 16-18 MRP/$1 spent

At STarwood Properties give your SPG number to earn 3 SO per dollar spent and your Starwood Amex to earn 2SO per dollar spent. Total 5 SO = 15 MRP/$1 spent.

I have paid $100 on my Marriott Visa of my Westin St John maint fee. See above. I will let you know if it posts with earnings of 5 MRPs per dollar.

You could pay $100 of your Marriott maint fee in your Starwood Amex and tell us here if it posts at 2 SOs per dollar

On other threads, people have posted that the Starwood/VSE maint fees are posting under the travel category for the Chase Sapphire Reserve card so are earning 3 UR points per dollar

Until someone does it we will not know. :cheer:

Thanks. In the scenario of staying at Marriott hotel, I was not aware that it earns 10 to 12 MRPs spent. My issue is that I do not really look at my activity history in my SPG and MRP accounts to figure out what sort of multiplier I have been getting, so trying to test it will be tough. I put alot of spending on both cards and while I see all sorts of bonus points posted I don't really know the source of the spending bonuses.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
"... You may see "5X" in marketing materials to refer to the 5 points you earn for each dollar spent at participating Marriott, The Ritz-Carlton, and Starwood locations. You will only receive the accelerated earn of 5 points for each dollar spent from the credit card program. You will not receive additional points under the Marriott Rewards program for stays at participating SPG locations."

I'm also confused here, and wondering what that last line in the email means?

Bill4728

Reaction score
I think, for the time being, I'll use my Marriott Visa at the marriott resorts and the starwood AMEX at the starwood resorts

Clearly once it becomes clear which is better, I may switch

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Don't confuse the two, the credit card points and the program points, while the same, are still separate.

When you stay at an SPG hotel, you can only give them your SPG number. You can't earn Marriott Reward points, only SPG points. By doing this you earn 2 points per dollar spent. If you are Gold or Platinum in SPG (which you can get by also being gold or platinum in MR), you get 3 points per dollar. These transfer to either 6 or 9 points in Marriott Rewards.

When you stay at a Marriott property, you can only give them your MR number. You will get 10 points per dollar. Gold and Platinum get 12.5 or 15 respectively.

When you use the SPG Amex card at SPG OR Marriott hotels, you get 2 points per dollar. When you use your Marriott Rewards Chase credit card at a Marriott or SPG Hotel, you will earn 5 points per dollar. If you don't use either of these cards, you don't get these points.

So if you are Gold here is how the programs compare depending on the card you use. I have converted everything to Marriott Reward points since we are in the Marriott forum.

Staying at SPG Hotels
Regular Members
SPG at an SPG hotel with SPG Amex
Program Points - 2 converts to 6 MR points
SPG Amex Points - 2 converts to 6 MR points
Total MR Points - 12

SPG at SPG hotel with Marriott Chase Visa
MR Chase Points - 5
Total MR Points - 11

Gold or Platinum Members
Program Points - 3 converts to 9 MR points
Total MR Points - 15

MR Chase Points - 5
Total MR Points - 14

Staying at a SPG hotel, you are better to use your SPG Amex regardless of your level.

Staying at Marriott Hotels
Regular Members
MR at a Marriott hotel with SPG Amex
Program Points - 10
Total MR Points - 16

MR at a Marriott hotel with Marriott Chase Visa
Program Points - 10
MR Chase Points - 5
Total MR Points - 15

Silver Members
Program Points - 12
Total MR Points - 18

Program Points - 12
MR Chase Points - 5
Total MR Points - 17

Gold Members
Program Points - 12.5
Total MR Points - 18.5

Program Points - 12.5
MR Chase Points - 5
Total MR Points - 17.5

Platinum Members
Program Points - 15
Total MR Points - 21

Program Points - 15
MR Chase Points - 5
Total MR Points - 20

Staying at a SPG hotel, you are better to use your SPG Amex regardless of your level.

In all cases, you will get one more point per dollar if you use your SPG Amex card to stay at any Marriott or SPG property over the card Chase MR credit cards. You also notice a much better return for staying at Marriott properties overall.

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
If I understand it correctly.. We can get 2 points per dollar when using the SPG American Express. We can also transfer the points from SPG to MR at at 3 to 1 ratio.So by paying the MF's on the SPG card and then transferring to MR we end up getting 6 point per dollar.

Correct ?

We don't don't know if paying your Marriott MFs on the SPG Amex will qualify for the 2x multiplier. We also don't know if using the Marriott Chase credit card for SPG MFs will qualify for the 5x multiplier. We won't know until someone tries. I will know about the latter by this weekend as I prepaid our 2017 Vistana MFs on the Chase Marriott Credit Card.

If you can, then you would be better to put all SPG, Vistana and Marriott related charges on the SPG Amex as when transferred to MR it will work out to 6 points per dollar instead of the 5 you would get from the Marriott Chase credit card.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
So the 25k Starpoints sign up bonus you get I assume would convert 3 to 1?

That is another nice bonus for signing up for the SPG Amex.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
So the 25k Starpoints sign up bonus you get I assume would convert 3 to 1?

That is another nice bonus for signing up for the SPG Amex.

Yes, it would convert to 75,000 Marriott Reward points. Though Chase is currently offering 80,000 as a signup bonus.

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Don't confuse the two, the credit card points and the program points, while the same, are still separate.

When you stay at an SPG hotel, you can only give them your SPG number. You can't earn Marriott Reward points, only SPG points. By doing this you earn 2 points per dollar spent. If you are Gold or Platinum in SPG (which you can get by also being gold or platinum in MR), you get 3 points per dollar. These transfer to either 6 or 9 points in Marriott Rewards.

When you stay at a Marriott property, you can only give them your MR number. You will get 10 points per dollar. Gold and Platinum get 12.5 or 15 respectively.

When you use the SPG Amex card at SPG OR Marriott hotels, you get 2 points per dollar. When you use your Marriott Rewards Chase credit card at a Marriott or SPG Hotel, you will earn 5 points per dollar. If you don't use either of these cards, you don't get these points.

So if you are Gold here is how the programs compare depending on the card you use. I have converted everything to Marriott Reward points since we are in the Marriott forum.

Staying at SPG Hotels
Regular Members
Total MR Points - 12

MR Chase Points - 5
Total MR Points - 11

Gold or Platinum Members
Total MR Points - 15

MR Chase Points - 5
Total MR Points - 14

Staying at Marriott Hotels
Regular Members
Program Points - 10
Total MR Points - 16

Program Points - 10
SPG Amex Points - 5
Total MR Points - 15

Silver Members
Program Points - 12
Total MR Points - 18

Program Points - 12
SPG Amex Points - 5
Total MR Points - 17

Gold Members
Program Points - 12.5
Total MR Points - 18.5

Program Points - 12.5
MR Chase Points - 5
Total MR Points - 17.5

Platinum Members
Program Points - 15
Total MR Points - 21

Program Points - 15
MR Chase Points - 5
Total MR Points - 20

In all cases, you will get one more point per dollar if you use your SPG Amex card to stay at any Marriott or SPG property over the card Chase MR credit cards. You also notice a much better return for staying at Marriott properties overall.
Thanks for taking the time to lay this all out

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I just applied for the card and was told those with elite status will get 3 Starwood points instead of the 2.

This is going to be our number #1 card for everything. Even using for everyday use the 1 starpoint per $1 spent converts to 3 MR points

If we get the 2 points (or 3?) for maintenance payments added to the Amex sign up bonus we could end up with 250k just for opening reward and credit card accts and paying our maintenance.

I need to get the card and see if they do in fact offer the 2 or hopefully 3 points for paying Marriott MFs. That would be tremendous news.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you, Dioxide for detailing it out.

I have used SPG Amex almost exclusively for the past 4 years and will continue to do so. I also find that MRP is the best point currency.

jeepie

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just applied for the card and was told those with elite status will get 3 Starwood points instead of the 2.

This is going to be our number #1 card for everything. Even using for everyday use the 1 starpoint per $1 spent converts to 3 MR points

If we get the 2 points (or 3?) for maintenance payments added to the Amex sign up bonus we could end up with 250k just for opening reward and credit card accts and paying our maintenance.

I need to get the card and see if they do in fact offer the 2 or hopefully 3 points for paying Marriott MFs. That would be tremendous news.
I suggest you get clarification and documentation (and please share what you find out). My hunch is that the 3x points for those with elite status applies to SPG hotel stays, not MVCI MFs...but I hope you're right. I'm debating whether to pay with my R-C Visa (5 MR points plus 10% bonus) or the SPG card (which will award 2x, convertible to 6 MR points...OR 3x if what you were told is true). Thanks for the info!

jtp1947

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Marriott, Boston Custom House
@MOXJO7282
Joe, would you still be able to get the one elite night for $3K spend?

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I suggest you get clarification and documentation (and please share what you find out). My hunch is that the 3x points for those with elite status applies to SPG hotel stays, not MVCI MFs...but I hope you're right. I'm debating whether to pay with my R-C Visa (5 MR points plus 10% bonus) or the SPG card (which will award 2x, convertible to 6 MR points...OR 3x if what you were told is true). Thanks for the info!

He read it as part of the declaimer so it definitely applies to Marriott stays but yes the MF question is still an unknown. When i have a moment I'll try to read the full T&Cs to see if it specifically mentions MFs. I'm not sure that it will so I won't believe it unless i do see it in writing or in my own acct when i test the theory.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
@MOXJO7282
Joe, would you still be able to get the one elite night for $3K spend?

I believe u only get it on Marriott Visa, not on SPG Amex. That was the driving force behind some of my Marriott Visa charges. But since Elite status is now reciprocal, there is no longer a need to try to keep my Marriott status thru Marriott Visa spendings and Marriott stays.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA

Is that possibly referring to the actual SPG program points? I know that regular members earn 2 points per dollar and gold/platinum earn 3. Here is what the SPG Amex site says before you sign up.

UP TO 5X STARPOINTS® ON ELIGIBLE PURCHASES

Use your Card and earn up to 5 Starpoints® for every dollar of eligible purchases at participating Starwood hotels‡–that's 2 as a Card Member on top of the 2 or 3 you can earn as an SPG member.‡ Earn 2 Starpoints® for every dollar of eligible purchases on the Card at participating Marriott Rewards® hotels.‡ Earn 1 Starpoint for all other eligible purchases.‡

I think you only get two points per dollar on SPG/Marriott spend with the SPG Amex card regardless of your elite status. If you could get three based on status, the heading would say "UP TO 6X STARPOINTS®"

I do agree, this is a better card for every day spending than the Marriott from Chase. Three times as many points.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Is that possibly referring to the actual SPG program points? I know that regular members earn 2 points per dollar and gold/platinum earn 3. Here is what the SPG Amex site says before you sign up.

I think you only get two points per dollar on SPG/Marriott spend with the SPG Amex card regardless of your elite status. If you could get three based on status, the heading would say "UP TO 6X STARPOINTS®"

I do agree, this is a better card for every day spending than the Marriott from Chase. Three times as many points.

Yes that seems pretty clear the 3 points would be at Starwood stays. Still this will become the card we use for almost every charge outside of groceries or gas where we get 5% cash back from my Amex Blue.

My only disappointment is Costco went away from Amex because I would've really racked up points from our spend there.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I did not earn the 5X multiplier when paying our Vistana MFs on the Marriott Rewards Visa from Chase. This doesn't necessarily mean you can't earn the 2X multiplier when paying Marriott MFs on the SPG Amex. Someone has to test that out. I can just confirm it doesn't work for Vistana fees on MR card even though those that use the SPG Amex on Vistana fees do earn the 2x multiplier.

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I did not earn the 5X multiplier when paying our Vistana MFs on the Marriott Rewards Visa from Chase.. I can just confirm it doesn't work for Vistana fees on MR card even though those that use the SPG Amex on Vistana fees do earn the 2x multiplier.

Thanks for confirming this. I just put $100 on Marriott Reward Visa as I posted above.
Curious "how" the charge was listed....mine is below.
Nov 1, 2016
WSJ VIRGIN GRAND CONDO
$100.00

I do know that the VSE maint fees are classified as "travel" for the Chase Sapphire Reserve and earn 3 Ultimate Reward Points.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Thanks for confirming this. I just put $100 on Marriott Reward Visa as I posted above.
Curious "how" the charge was listed....mine is below.
Nov 1, 2016
WSJ VIRGIN GRAND CONDO
$100.00

I do know that the VSE maint fees are classified as "travel" for the Chase Sapphire Reserve and earn 3 Ultimate Reward Points.

Ours showed up as

BELLA FLORIDA CONDO

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
So the T&Cs with the Starwood Amex I received says - receive 2 points with Marriott hotels, standalone Marriott branded online store or retail establishments that in each case are owned by Marriott Intl Inc and it's affiliates.

Still not sure if that includes maintenance fees. It's obviously an online store and i assume MVCI is an affiliate of Marriott Intl inc no?

I called Amex and Starwood and neither could answer the question.