• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 31 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 31st Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

Tens of thousands of subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

"Dying Traditions of boomers"

WaikikiFirst

Reaction score
Out geek THAT!
not that I think it does outgeek that, but who else ever had to take a course in APL?
My word, what a waste of time. On Day 1, I knew it was a waste. On the last day, I wanted to throw the prof out the window. It was obvious it was the only thing he was esp good at and he, and he alone, had somehow managed to make it a requirement for the degree.
APL may win the award for "Most Powerful Programming Language Ever Invented To Do The Fewest Possible Things"

Ralph Sir Edward

TUG Member
Reaction score
not that I think it does outgeek that, but who else ever had to take a course in APL?
My word, what a waste of time. On Day 1, I knew it was a waste. On the last day, I wanted to throw the prof out the window. It was obvious it was the only thing he was esp good at and he, and he alone, had somehow managed to make it a requirement for the degree.
APL may win the award for "Most Powerful Programming Language Ever Invented To Do The Fewest Possible Things"
Known widely as a "write once", "read never" language.

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club I (PIC Plus)
Colonies at Williamsburg (PIC Plus)
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
National Harbor Resale (689k)
Visual Basic 6.0 and C++ (some version) were what I had to use in college. Probably less useful than Fortran would have been in my job.
I learned Basic and Pascal early on, then VB and C, followed by C++ before I got more into app level scripting using LotusScript, VBScript, Powershell, etc. In college I learned Pascal and LISP - otherwise affectionately known as Lost In a Series of Parentheses. :cool:

• Haha
Reactions: DrQ

jp10558

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Seaworld
Wyndham Smoky Mountains
Foxrun Lake Lure
I learned Basic and Pascal early on, then VB and C, followed by C++ before I got more into app level scripting using LotusScript, VBScript, Powershell, etc. In college I learned Pascal and LISP - otherwise affectionately known as Lost In a Series of Parentheses. :cool:
I ended up in college moving on to bash scripting on Red Hat, then at work I grabbed AutoIT which was basically a free version of VB6 for my use cases anyway lol. To this day I tend to use AutoIT on Windows and bash on Linux cause they still work like a lowest common denominator. Though at this point I tend to use one of the AI tools to generate my script to then massage into use lol.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
Took FORTRAN and IBM Assembly programming.

NASTRAN was written in FORTRAN which was compiled into assembly. From there, you could examine the assembly code to tighten up the code to reduce the run times.

When I got into PC's, I picked up C. I tried machine coding on PC's, but only 4 registers, just was too limiting when I had been working with 16. o_O

At work, we had APOLLO computers, which were based on PASCAL, but I never got the hang of it. APOLLO faded into tech dust.

I made the transition to SUN and Linux based systems and stayed in the C realm since.

Ralph Sir Edward

TUG Member
Reaction score
Took FORTRAN and IBM Assembly programming.

NASTRAN was written in FORTRAN which was compiled into assembly. From there, you could examine the assembly code to tighten up the code to reduce the run times.

When I got into PC's, I picked up C. I tried machine coding on PC's, but only 4 registers, just was too limiting when I had been working with 16. o_O

At work, we had APOLLO computers, which were based on PASCAL, but I never got the hang of it. APOLLO faded into tech dust.

I made the transition to SUN and Linux based systems and stayed in the C realm since.
C. C code. Run C code. Run, dammit, run!!!

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
I have not read the entire 4 pages, but the things I can think of Boomers did that aren’t done now are

1. Write letters
2 read newspapers
3. Send Christmas cards
4. Go for long drives on Sundays just to go for a drive.
5. Sunday family dinners (fried chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy and green beans anyone?)
6. Sit out on the porch in the evening.
7. Visit with neighbors

These are the things I can think of that we just don’t do anymore. I gave up on Christmas cards a few years ago since I’d send them but never get them.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
My favorite was SAS proc this, proc that. The JCL to load the data sets was harder than the SAS code. I produced many reports for engineers, they thought I was a whiz I could slice and dice data so quickly. I wonder how many trees I killed producing greenbar reports.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Docusign :thumbup:

I've not used a fax machine in the past 30 years
Docusign (DS) is one of the biggest jokes in modern technology. It claims to create "secure" signing for electronic signatures. All you need to do is sent it to AN email address and the recipient can sign. Anyone can create an email address to be used. I have signed contractual documents, HIPAA waivers, property contracts, other agreements and a myriad of documents on behalf of family members or others (with their permission, but who knows this). I know unscrupulous attorneys that have signed settlement agreements on behalf of their clients.

DS makes it seem like it is some superior method of "verifying" and obtaining a "secure" signature (though you can just type your name and they convert to script), and add all sorts of gobbledegook letter and number strings to make it look official.

Brett

Reaction score
Docusign (DS) is one of the biggest jokes in modern technology. It claims to create "secure" signing for electronic signatures. All you need to do is sent it to AN email address and the recipient can sign. Anyone can create an email address to be used. I have signed contractual documents, HIPAA waivers, property contracts, other agreements and a myriad of documents on behalf of family members or others (with their permission, but who knows this). I know unscrupulous attorneys that have signed settlement agreements on behalf of their clients.

DS makes it seem like it is some superior method of "verifying" and obtaining a "secure" signature (though you can just type your name and they convert to script), and add all sorts of gobbledegook letter and number strings to make it look official.

Apparently a lot of people are in on the "joke" but I suppose if fax machines are the new hottest Christmas gift this year then yes, faxing emails will be making a miraculous comeback

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA

True, at least a signature on a faxed document can be compared to another signature of the person for verification. I wonder if DocuSign is what is leading to more cases of home title theft?

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
True, at least a signature on a faxed document can be compared to another signature of the person for verification. I wonder if DocuSign is what is leading to more cases of home title theft?
Property transer documents need to be notarized. Probably need a notary on the take.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Apparently a lot of people are in on the "joke" but I suppose if fax machines are the new hottest Christmas gift this year then yes, faxing emails will be making a miraculous comeback
Yes it is shocking. It is like those activities/athletics that have a person sign a waiver online. There is no way to know who signed it. Lots of cases where kids admit they put their parent's name, and the waiver is invalidated by the court.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
A telephone booth that uses coins and a full service gas station, that has an attendant to pump your gasoline and check your oil and tires (for free).
The last time that I was on the Big Island of Hawaii about 5 years ago, I stopped at a service station to get gas and started to pump and the attendant came out and told me that it was against the law to pump my own gas. So, there may still a few pockets of holdouts. But I agree with your point. When I was going to college I had a variety of jobs including pumping gas.

isisdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai
Known widely as a "write once", "read never" language.
I had a summer job at IBM maybe in 1969, and the office had an APL terminal that was actually a Selectric typewriter with a VERY unique typeball. I didn't have a lot of experience at the time, but it didn't seem to have a way to do much I/O. Later I had a class with four programming languages; two were COBOL (I went on to write compilers for that) and LISP. The third was Algol, and original DW used that on some mainframe at NY state DOT. Don't remember the other one.

Later, about 1985, I got involved with programming some sort of handheld microterminal in Forth, a reverse Polish language. I begged for six months to program it in C instead before management relented, mostly because there were no programming or debugging utilities, and the only other person willing to program in Forth had an addiction problem. I might have been heading in that direction ...

I classify these three as "solutions in search of a problem."

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
The last time that I was on the Big Island of Hawaii about 5 years ago, I stopped at a service station to get gas and started to pump and the attendant came out and told me that it was against the law to pump my own gas. So, there may still a few pockets of holdouts. But I agree with your point. When I was going to college I had a variety of jobs including pumping gas.

Interesting. I find that surprising as I've pumped my own gas every single time on the big island, although I've only ever filled up in Kona, Waikoloa, Waimea and Hilo.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Interesting. I find that surprising as I've pumped my own gas every single time on the big island, although I've only ever filled up in Kona, Waikoloa, Waimea and Hilo.

We usually gas up at Costco on any Hawaiian Island and have always pumped our own gas. There are some full service gas stations in Hawaii where they actually pump the gas. It isn't a law but rather a policy of the station I guess.

Bill