• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 31 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 31st Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

Tens of thousands of subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

"Dying Traditions of boomers"

jp10558

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Seaworld
Wyndham Smoky Mountains
Foxrun Lake Lure

Yes, this entire site is fluff, but it also (maybe good for us? IDK) perpetuates the now well debunked "broke Millennial" stereotype as well as assumes that a camper van (unless it's your only house) is cheaper. I remember "timesharetraveller" did some compelling math on why RVs are not a way for cheap travel some people seem to think, and most people I know (or know of) with RVs find they're a lot like boats - a money pit. Which isn't a problem except in the misleading comparison to being a cheaper option to much.

#6 Woof, more comments - Checks seem to be being brought back as we've talked here, mostly by businesses that want to for some reason add fees to online payments of various sorts.

#7 - Shopping malls are dying, but there are good reasons to want a local clothes store for some people. Online shopping is great if you literally don't care about anything but price and if it fits, and are willing to make several round trips for "trying things on" and "sending back what doesn't fit" - usually involving going to the post office IME, but maybe you can send it back using a printer (also unlikely for younger people to have) and can convince the mail carrier to pick up things that don't fit in your mailbox. This means instead of 1 day of hell you can spread it out over weeks waiting for deliveries going both ways. You're also "floating" the cost of the clothes in there, which you don't do while trying on clothes at a store. Some places don't bill you up front, but it's far from universal online.

#12, IDK - as we've discussed here a lot - many smaller businesses out my way are cash only or offering what is effectively a 3-4% discount for paying cash.

#13 - some content sucks on a screen, mostly because we don't have affordable and equally light screens as paper for magazine sized, or even in many cases traditional paperback sized displays. I love manga, glossy magazine content, etc, but much of that is formatted for a bigger screen than my phone or even my tablet. Some are getting reformulated like "webtoons" but apps like Readly show how bad trying to read many magazines on a phone is. And digital things are somehow often harder to share with a family member or friend than a magazine due to all the DRM stuff. Plus if I have a cool picture in a magazine, I don't have to worry if whoever has the right tool to view it, they just need working eyes. This is solvable, but I kind of doubt it will be solved exactly - I think traditional things will just go away.

Last edited:

Brett

Reaction score

Yes, this entire site is fluff, but it also (maybe good for us? IDK) perpetuates the now well debunked "broke Millennial" stereotype as well as assumes that a camper van (unless it's your only house) is cheaper. I remember "timesharetraveller" did some compelling math on why RVs are not a way for cheap travel some people seem to think, and most people I know (or know of) with RVs find they're a lot like boats - a money pit. Which isn't a problem except in the misleading comparison to being a cheaper option to much.

#6 Woof, more comments - Checks seem to be being brought back as we've talked here, mostly by businesses that want to for some reason add fees to online payments of various sorts.

#7 - Shopping malls are dying, but there are good reasons to want a local clothes store for some people. Online shopping is great if you literally don't care about anything but price and if it fits, and are willing to make several round trips for "trying things on" and "sending back what doesn't fit" - usually involving going to the post office IME, but maybe you can send it back using a printer (also unlikely for younger people to have) and can convince the mail carrier to pick up things that don't fit in your mailbox. This means instead of 1 day of hell you can spread it out over weeks waiting for deliveries going both ways. You're also "floating" the cost of the clothes in there, which you don't do while trying on clothes at a store. Some places don't bill you up front, but it's far from universal online.

#12, IDK - as we've discussed here a lot - many smaller businesses out my way are cash only or offering what is effectively a 3-4% discount for paying cash.

#13 - some content sucks on a screen, mostly because we don't have affordable and equally light screens as paper for magazine sized, or even in many cases traditional paperback sized displays. I love manga, glossy magazine content, etc, but much of that is formatted for a bigger screen than my phone or even my tablet. Some are getting reformulated like "webtoons" but apps like Readly show how bad trying to read many magazines on a phone is. And digital things are somehow often harder to share with a family member or friend than a magazine due to all the DRM stuff. Plus if I have a cool picture in a magazine, I don't have to worry if whoever has the right tool to view it, they just need working eyes. This is solvable, but I kind of doubt it will be solved exactly - I think traditional things will just go away.

Checkbooks, cable, suits, malls, and ....

time.png

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Timeshares are on the way out, yet the timeshare industry seems to be growing and has higher and higher sales volume every year.

Bodie

TUG Member
Reaction score

#7 - Shopping malls are dying, but there are good reasons to want a local clothes store for some people. Online shopping is great if you literally don't care about anything but price and if it fits, and are willing to make several round trips for "trying things on" and "sending back what doesn't fit" - usuall ientreennvolving going to the post office IME, but maybe you can send it back using a printer (also unlikely for younger people to have) and can convince the mail carrier to pick up things that don't fit ieeeeeen your mailbox. This means instead of 1 day of hell you can spread it out over weeks waiting for deliveries going both ways. You're also "floating" the cost of the clothes in there, which you don't do while trying on clothes at a store. Some places don't bill you up front, but it's far from universal online.

That entire article is snarky and insipid. No doubt written by a

Actually, that entire article article is insipid and snarky. Assume it was written by a Millennial

jp10558

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Seaworld
Wyndham Smoky Mountains
Foxrun Lake Lure
That entire article is snarky and insipid. No doubt written by a

Actually, that entire article article is insipid and snarky. Assume it was written by a Millennial
I actually wonder if it was written by AI. There's really nothing about a Millennial that would make them more snarky and insipid than any other generation writing fluff pieces.

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I presume the FAX machine is already gone - except for Social Security offices. :D
And attorneys, banks, mortgage companies, healthcare, real estate. Actual fax machines may be getting replaced by 3-in-1 devices and computer software, but the protocols are still used to transmit billions of of faxes every year.

jp10558

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Seaworld
Wyndham Smoky Mountains
Foxrun Lake Lure
And attorneys, banks, mortgage companies, healthcare, real estate. Actual fax machines may be getting replaced by 3-in-1 devices and computer software, but the protocols are still used to transmit billions of of faxes every year.
For reasons outside of "tradition" no one understands. Real phone lines are getting scarce for one thing. Fax protocols are completely insecure - their "security" was POTS and being separate from the internet, but now I'd bet many many Fax users are actually on some commodity VoIP service like RingCentral, so you're in the same place as e-mail - hoping each connection along the way is actually secure.

WaikikiFirst

Reaction score
entire article article is insipid and snarky. Assume it was written by a Millennial
LOL. W/o reading, I gave it a 60/40 chance of being that (prob under 30 yr old, is that a "Millenial"?) or being cringe reminiscing by an old-fogie.

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
These aren't only traditions of boomers, there is another entire generation in there which I am part of, GenX. Why didn't we get a fancy name?

jorcus

TUG Member
Reaction score
For reasons outside of "tradition" no one understands. Real phone lines are getting scarce for one thing. Fax protocols are completely insecure - their "security" was POTS and being separate from the internet, but now I'd bet many many Fax users are actually on some commodity VoIP service like RingCentral, so you're in the same place as e-mail - hoping each connection along the way is actually secure.

The death of the fax has more to do with services like Docusign. Almost all documents are transmitted better by files but the signature verification part was keeping faxes around for documents that had to be signed. There may be closed loop secure systems that may need to use fax for verification but they are getting fewer and farther between.

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
I presume the FAX machine is already gone - except for Social Security offices. :D

Back a while, I worked for a company that had fax as the only way of sending documents.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVC: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
If you can tap a phone line you can record and view the fax documents without knowledge of the sender or receiver. I know because I used to work for a company that could do that.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Fido Chuckwagon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney’s Saratoga Springs Resort; Wyndham Bonnet Creek; Wyndham Bali Hai; Wyndham Canterbury; Wyndham Grand Desert; Marriott Grand Chateau
As an attorney I really do wish faxing would just die already. Everyone is using electronic faxing anyway, including attorneys and courts with virtual fax numbers, and it is so stupid. It just creates extra steps versus sending emails with attachments.

Fido Chuckwagon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney’s Saratoga Springs Resort; Wyndham Bonnet Creek; Wyndham Bali Hai; Wyndham Canterbury; Wyndham Grand Desert; Marriott Grand Chateau
The death of the fax has more to do with services like Docusign.
Even an electronically signed and locked .pdf using any number of commercially available programs is more secure than faxing at this point. There's just no reason for it.

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club I (PIC Plus)
Colonies at Williamsburg (PIC Plus)
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
National Harbor Resale (689k)
These aren't only traditions of boomers, there is another entire generation in there which I am part of, GenX. Why didn't we get a fancy name?
The nomad generation is the generally the least popular and appreciated generation of all the four archetypes from what I've read. We are the Rodney Dangerfield of the generations for sure. :cool:

joestein

TUG Member
Reaction score
As an attorney I really do wish faxing would just die already. Everyone is using electronic faxing anyway, including attorneys and courts with virtual fax numbers, and it is so stupid. It just creates extra steps versus sending emails with attachments.
Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
So why hasn't it gone away? There must still be a reason they use it?

Fido Chuckwagon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
The nomad generation is the generally the least popular and appreciated generation of all the four archetypes from what I've read. We are the Rodney Dangerfield of the generations for sure. :cool:
When the GI/Greatest generation exited society, they were mourned as a cohort as they passed. It was the same with the Lost Generation before them. The Silents are leaving without much attention at all, let alone fanfare.

It will be the same with GenX. They'll depart, and nobody will much notice except immediate family. That's better than "and good riddance!" -- which is the fate of unpopular generations.

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Inertia. There really isn't a good reason.
The old saying. If something works, don't fix it?

For the most part, with modern software, fax works just like email for most senders and recipients.