• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Don't buy a Timeshare IF... Timeshare Traveler Episode 199

Clifbell

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, Hilton, Westin, Marriott
I want everyone who buys a timeshare to enjoy their purchase. So, I came up with a set of realities of owning a timeshare. If these realities are not something you are not willing to do, then perhaps timeshares are not for you. Better to find out now before you buy than waiting until you buy and are unhappy.

In this video, I go through the major criteria to a successful timeshare owner. Many of these criteria are required. If you don't like to plan, then it is hard to use timeshares. If you buy with credit, then it just take a lot longer to get the value of a timeshare. If you don't like sales presentations, then timeshares may be stressful for you. And if you don't like to learn the rules to gain the value, then maybe you shouldn't make the leap. Hope you enjoy the video!!

Map of all my timeshare reviews

RENTER

Reaction score
I want everyone who buys a timeshare to enjoy their purchase. So, I came up with a set of realities of owning a timeshare. If these realities are not something you are not willing to do, then perhaps timeshares are not for you. Better to find out now before you buy than waiting until you buy and are unhappy.

In this video, I go through the major criteria to a successful timeshare owner. Many of these criteria are required. If you don't like to plan, then it is hard to use timeshares. If you buy with credit, then it just take a lot longer to get the value of a timeshare. If you don't like sales presentations, then timeshares may be stressful for you. And if you don't like to learn the rules to gain the value, then maybe you shouldn't make the leap. Hope you enjoy the video!!

Map of all my timeshare reviews
The biggest key to me is that you are going to buy points, you have to be flexible. You are not always going to get what you want but there may be many other excellent locations available.

As for weeks, this is my preference so it may not be for others. Buy close to home. Life gets in the way and you may not be able to travel at the last minute or you cannot find exchanges you like. You can salvage the trip by going for a few days. In most cases just going for a few days makes the maintenance fees worth it compared to what you would have paid for a hotel. If you cannot go, you can send friends in your place.

jp10558

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Seaworld
Wyndham Smoky Mountains
Foxrun Lake Lure
I've said this elsewhere, and in a video, that my criteria for if it makes sense to buy a timeshare includes a few things.

1) You want a full kitchen and ideally 2 bedrooms. (1 can work) vs a hotel room.
2) You know you're going to go on trips, ideally at least 2 weeks a year.
3) The more flexible you are, the better it works out.
4) Planning ahead enhances options as well.

Clifbell

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, Hilton, Westin, Marriott
The biggest key to me is that you are going to buy points, you have to be flexible. You are not always going to get what you want but there may be many other excellent locations available.

As for weeks, this is my preference so it may not be for others. Buy close to home. Life gets in the way and you may not be able to travel at the last minute or you cannot find exchanges you like. You can salvage the trip by going for a few days. In most cases just going for a few days makes the maintenance fees worth it compared to what you would have paid for a hotel. If you cannot go, you can send friends in your place.
That is fabulous. I am doing a lot of shorter trips (Thursday thru Saturday) to enjoy a short break. So close to home (<5 hours drive) is great.