• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Does DVC really hold its value?

heathpack

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
I think direct vs resale is a decision for the individual family involved and how they vacation. That said this family is looking for DLR - whole different ballgame- Home Priority is everything and resale at VGC is no bargain. The new tower at DLH will probably be the easiest way in- The chances of getting 2 small contracts are SLIM without going direct. Remember I brought this up because her justification is well I can leave it to the kids and again I don’t see any legitimate reason pick up extra points just cause it’s cheaper sunk cost especially if odds are you aren’t going to be able to book where you want to go…

before anyone goes getting your panties in a knot I know- I get it we are disneynerds and MOST do better resale…BUT that isn’t always an absolute.

I think there’s really two types of buyers: the savvy and the naive. Sometimes on TUG folks assume that them themselves are savvy but the other guy is naive.

You are obviously not naive. There *are* some circumstances in which buying direct makes sense. Disneyland may be one of them.

Regardless, you know you. You don‘t need to defend your decision!

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Marriott, DVC
100% resale!!
I think there’s really two types of buyers: the savvy and the naive. Sometimes on TUG folks assume that them themselves are savvy but the other guy is naive.

You are obviously not naive. There *are* some circumstances in which buying direct makes sense. Disneyland may be one of them.

Regardless, you know you. You don‘t need to defend your decision!
In this example, savvy is just calculating the monetary difference between resale and direct and then comparing the difference in benefits between the two and thinking of the retail benefits as costing the difference between the price. If the price difference is 10k and the retail benefits are worth 10k to you, then you are being savvy by buying direct because you are getting the value for what you paid for.

That's how I decided what to buy. To me DVC resale costs aren't worth the price difference between Marriott and Wyndham resale. I would rather own Wyndham resale (company that owns RCI) and Marriott resale (company that owns II) over DVC resale. It doesn't matter which exchange company DVC is affiliated with because I will always be able to get SSR and OKW for 40%-%50 cheaper than owning DVC resale and using the points to stay at OKW and SSR. I just need 50 DVC points a year to splurge on the resorts that I can't access via exchange.

My Wyndham ownership was basically free because I only paid the price of what was already loaded on the contract. My Marriott was $1800 and I plan on getting another week for $3000. I can't justify the purchase price of more DVC points because IMO they aren't worth that much more than Marriott. I think Marriott is the better vacation club company compared to DVC by far.

TheHolleys87

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II
My advice for her was (2) 75 point contracts direct to start.
You may know this, but if she doesn’t own any DVC at all, she’ll have to purchase a minimum 150 point contract direct. If she already owns at least 25 points (resale or direct), then she can purchase two 75 point contracts (or any size, although some resorts have 25 point minimum add on requirements and some have 50). DVD has been pretty strict about that ever since 150 points direct became the “blue card” minimum.

noreenkate

TUG Member
Reaction score
You may know this, but if she doesn’t own any DVC at all, she’ll have to purchase a minimum 150 point contract direct. If she already owns at least 25 points (resale or direct), then she can purchase two 75 point contracts (or any size, although some resorts have 25 point minimum add on requirements and some have 50). DVD has been pretty strict about that ever since 150 points direct became the “blue card” minimum.

yeah rumor has it it switched in June of this year…she may be joining me next month for a few days at WDW either way I plan to get confirmation from my guide- the (2) 75 point contacts are where I am hoping she starts off - not so much for direct benefits but because she wants kids to have an even split and although they could enjoy benefits now once the contracts go to each kid they are no longer qualified …I just think it’s nuts to potentially put maintenance fees for more than a week in a studio on a young adult…Other than picking up a 2042 resort most will not end before she is no longer traveling the same way…we all know vacation needs change as we age, so more than likely it will fall to the kids to keep or dispose of -that said smaller contracts = smaller dues to either use or pay until dispose

again considering goal is DLR- it’s gonna better IMO for her to wait till the official on sale announcement for DLH…

My west coast buddy and I are at a similar point - at that sweet spot for beginning empty nester travel. The one thing I will say is DVC is incredibly user friendly as far as beginner systems to learn it’s small enough and although we all complain about disney IT - they are complete professionals compared to Wyndham and the others I picked up bargain basement

nomoretslt

Reaction score
@cbyrne1174 what DVC resorts have you been able to splurge at with 50 points? BWV standard view studios are the best bargain around for location. Followed by the Tower rooms at Riviera. Standard studios at AKV are cheap too if you like being that far from the action....but is an excellent resort for winding down and has a great community hall.

nomoretslt

Reaction score
@noreenkate I love the DVC website. It really is good for keeping track of all my points, my borrowing and banking. I love making pretend reservations to see how far my points can go (just don’t click reserve room by accident). I have to say I have not been plagued by the 7 dwarfs lately. And reservations for the typhoon lagoon event went smoothly for a family member. Although I know it is not as popular as the parks one and it was kind of sprung on us last minute. And empty nester DVC stays are wonderful.

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Marriott, DVC
100% resale!!
@cbyrne1174 what DVC resorts have you been able to splurge at with 50 points? BWV standard view studios are the best bargain around for location. Followed by the Tower rooms at Riviera. Standard studios at AKV are cheap too if you like being that far from the action....but is an excellent resort for winding down and has a great community hall.
All of them... I live in Tampa. 1 night is all I book at a time. Anything else is just wasteful.

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
All of them... I live in Tampa. 1 night is all I book at a time. Anything else is just wasteful.

We also only go for one night at a time, maybe two. We live an hour from Disneyland.

chromeo

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC x 4
yeah rumor has it it switched in June of this year…she may be joining me next month for a few days at WDW either way I plan to get confirmation from my guide- the (2) 75 point contacts are where I am hoping she starts off
They won't let you buy 2 x 75 as a new member. The first one has to be 150. The workaround is to buy a resale contract to become an existing member, and flip it. If you buy loaded and sell privately, this wouldn't have significant cost, but it would still have cost. Still maybe worth it if you can use the points, and for the incentives, which were bananas at VGF2.