• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Disneyland admission tops $200 a day

Brett

Reaction score
Somehow, I believe this same line of logic is being used by drug companies as well.

Simply because one can do something, it does not follow that one should do something.

There are plenty of alternatives to visiting Disney, ---- some drugs, not so much

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Ocean Blvd, Fairfield Glade
I’m a little confused by some of the responses in this thread. For those of you who are saying you don’t like the Disney experience because the prices are too high and people should stop going so they would have to lower the prices, what do you really want?

a. Lower prices so you can afford to go, which would also mean MORE people in the parks and even longer lines
b. Fewer people and shorter lines which would probably require even higher prices, potentially pricing you out
c. You simply don’t like visiting Disney properties and wouldn’t go regardless of cost

For those of you suggesting prices are too high and people should stop going, that isn’t happening. Both parks are continuing to experience increased annual attendance. Over the last ten years, attendance at both Disneyland and DisneyWorld has increased each year with the exception of a couple of years of very slight drops at Disneyland. However, they set a new attendance record again last year.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
edit: n/m read the part about it being a park hopper. Regular tickets going up $5 is not a big deal but the overall pice is crazy. I spent more on one day at the Magic Kingdom than I did on the rest of the trip to FL. It was $139 on 12/24 plus Hilton Bonnet Creek charged another $10 per ticket for the convenience of not having to wait in line to pick up your ticket when you arrive.

You're talking about Florida? I thought the thread was about California. Disneyland is in the title, not Disneyworld.

rhonda

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
I’m a little confused by some of the responses in this thread. For those of you who are saying you don’t like the Disney experience because the prices are too high and people should stop going so they would have to lower the prices, what do you really want?

a. Lower prices so you can afford to go, which would also mean MORE people in the parks and even longer lines
b. Fewer people and shorter lines which would probably require even higher prices, potentially pricing you out
c. You simply don’t like visiting Disney properties and wouldn’t go regardless of cost

For those of you suggesting prices are too high and people should stop going, that isn’t happening. Both parks are continuing to experience increased annual attendance. Over the last ten years, attendance at both Disneyland and DisneyWorld has increased each year with the exception of a couple of years of very slight drops at Disneyland. However, they set a new attendance record again last year.
Right, an interesting conundrum.

My answer might be "d. Offer deep admission discounts to those with high-bar commitments within the brand." These commitments might be defined by membership in Club 33, DVC, stock owner with ~100 shares minimum, etc. This might add perceived value to the high-bar line items (doesn't Club 33 already include park admission for the member and a number of guests?) while allowing for regular price increases for general admission to keep crowds lower. Basically, it could skyrocket demand for the high-bar items as it drives Theme Park access to "private club" status?

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Right, an interesting conundrum.

My answer might be "d. Offer deep admission discounts to those with high-bar commitments within the brand." These commitments might be defined by membership in Club 33, DVC, stock owner with ~100 shares minimum, etc. This might add perceived value to the high-bar line items (doesn't Club 33 already include park admission for the member and a number of guests?) while allowing for regular price increases for general admission to keep crowds lower. Basically, it could skyrocket demand for the high-bar items as it drives Theme Park access to "private club" status?

Now, that is an interesting proposal.

Harry

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I say, price it high enuff that it keeps the riff-raff out.
As it is, the parks are full of the unwashed masses.
I'd rather deal with nose-in-the-air peep (like TS owners).
... such as myself. <satire>

Last edited:

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
I say, price it high enuff that it keeps the riff-raff out.
As it is, the parks are full of the unwashed masses.
I'd rather deal with nose-in-the-air peep, like TS owners.
... such as myself.
Damn, don't hold back. :rolleyes:

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Ocean Boulevard, Flagstaff, Grand Desert
You're talking about Florida? I thought the thread was about California. Disneyland is in the title, not Disneyworld.

It started out that way, but the ticket pricing structures are essentially the same (one day is ridiculous, with each added day becoming incrementally less expensive) and the discussion morphed accordingly.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
I wish Disneyland had an "old fart" ticket app that got us into the park at a reasonable price to wander around, spend money on meals and souvenirs, and go on three rides. They can block me from all Star Wars rides as far as I'm concenrned. Small World, Haunted Mansion, Tiki Hut and I'm happy. I need lots of sitting time between walks, and can't stand for longer than 15 minutes in one place. I'd love to go again just to wander around, and I don't mind going mid-week in winter as long as it isn't raining.

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
I wish Disneyland had an "old fart" ticket app that got us into the park at a reasonable price to wander around, spend money on meals and souvenirs, and go on three rides. They can block me from all Star Wars rides as far as I'm concenrned. Small World, Haunted Mansion, Tiki Hut and I'm happy. I need lots of sitting time between walks, and can't stand for longer than 15 minutes in one place. I'd love to go again just to wander around, and I don't mind going mid-week in winter as long as it isn't raining.
The problem with this, of course, is that DL no longer uses tickets. I remember the $6 entry but without a ticket book. So, "Come on in ... but no rides." That might be OK with me!

With WDW heavy use of MagicBands, one might add a tap point on the Standby Queue to either limit or prevent the "old fart" ticket holder from riding. Easier done in FL than CA, at the present.

Edited to add: Should an "entry w/out rides" be introduced, I'd hope the entry is free to those with high-bar commitments! (Club 33, DVC, Stock holders, etc. as mentioned earlier in this thread.)

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
We’re heading to Disneyland next week for an overnight stay.

Thursday night we’re going to hit up the World of Color Dessert Party.

Friday we’ll try for Rise of the Resistance, ride some rides in the morning, hit up Food & Wine kiosks for a snack. At 1:30 we have a mixology seminar, at 2:40 we have a lunch reservation at Blue Bayou. There’s a brand new parade and we might see if we can catch a glimpse. Ride some more rides, and then head home sometime in the evening.

Always something fun/interesting to do and see, it seems.

Expensive? Sure. Worth it? YMMV.

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Let me see if I can address all of this in one post:

First of all, please recall my point was in reaction to this:
When people stop going, prices will stabilize or come down. No one is forced to go. Why not raise prices if people keep coming.

I'm not sure the same standard applies to Disneyland pricing and prescription drug pricing.

For 2 reasons: one is ethical. Nobody has died from not going to Disneyland, while prescription drugs are a need for many.

Drugs are also generally not capacity limited. If they could sell more they would make more. Disneyland has a fixed capacity and no room to expand. If they left it at the opening day prices adjusted for inflation, the place would be so packed it would be a terrible experience for everyone.
This is a terrible analogy. No one died because they couldn’t go to Disneyland.
There are plenty of alternatives to visiting Disney, ---- some drugs, not so much

There are many parallels between pricing at WDW and the drug companies. Neither are overly concerned with the current public perception (albeit for very different reasons). WDW has very limited competition and is in high demand. Drug companies have very limited competition and drugs are in high demand.
Econ I tells us what to expect when this occurs and just like the drug companies, the prices are rising.

But the larger point here is that Disney was not always this way - trying to maximize its profit by squeezing every last dollar from the customer. Somewhere along the way, Disney has lost some of the most important principles Walt Disney founded and built the company on. When Disney pricing turns to pure economic considerations, the 'magic' no longer runs Disney - the pursuit of money does. That is the point here.

Disney is no better or worse than your typical drug company.

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

There are many parallels between pricing at WDW and the drug companies. Neither are overly concerned with the current public perception (albeit for very different reasons). WDW has very limited competition and is in high demand. Drug companies have very limited competition and drugs are in high demand.
Econ I tells us what to expect when this occurs and just like the drug companies, the prices are rising.

But the larger point here is that Disney was not always this way - trying to maximize its profit by squeezing every last dollar from the customer. Somewhere along the way, Disney has lost some of the most important principles Walt Disney founded and built the company on. When Disney pricing turns to pure economic considerations, the 'magic' no longer runs Disney - the pursuit of money does. That is the point here.

This is asinine. Drug companies prey on those who are either physically or psychologically in pain and/or addicted. Disney provides entertainment that millions want to experience because it brings them happiness and joy. Or, do you have some evidence that Disney is physically or psychologically addictive?

Harry

Last edited:

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
Yeah I totally disagree with the drug analogy. Most pharmaceuticals are a “need” not a “want”. It’s unethical to charge an unnecessary premium for a “need”. Especially when you’re not actually innovating or doing anything special but just happen to be one of very few suppliers of a drug developed years ago that hasn’t changed.

Disneyland is a “want”. It’s ethically fine for the purveyor of a “want” to charge what the market will bear. You may feel this violates Walt Disney’s personal values but I think many forget that Walt was about continually developing the park and not doing things on the cheap. It costs a lot to develop innovative rides. It costs a lot to provide all the ‘streetsmosphere’ entertainment. I think he’d be pretty happy to see that it’s still a squeaky clean, respectable, wholesome type of place that remains in very high demand with families.

Despite my arguments in support of Disney, I can find Disneyland exasperating too. When it exasperates me and seems too expensive, I take a little break and just skip a few years. That solves my exasperation/too expensive paradigm quite nicely!

Gypsy65

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HIVC

Absolutely!!

If it was 1970 Disney then I’d have a bitch too

But it isn’t. And it isn’t necessarily geared towards the 70 year olds

Disney has stepped up its game and the price reflects the experience

I don’t like the $$ any more than the next guy but..... I have learned many years ago that going the cheap route is just that. Cheap!!

My wife and 16yo son go almost every other weekend
Is it cheap? Nope
Neither are any of the other things we have and do

The day I’m on my deathbed I’m certain I will have no regrets on how I and we as a family lived our lives

Gypsy65

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HIVC

I agree with this also

Not everyone wants the billion dollar ride thingy so a separate price and band for browsers works

Brett

Reaction score

OK, you are a real Disney hater.
Or maybe you just don't like their "dynamic pricing" (prices set by supply and demand)
I hate the dynamic pricing of toll roads leading into Washington DC !

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
You’re really going to double down on this? Welcome to my ignore list.
Take care little snowflake
The dawn comes early
May the enlightenment follow
You need so dearly.

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Take care little snowflake
The dawn comes early
May the enlightenment follow
You need so dearly.

Congratulations! Now you’re on my ignore list, also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Question. In the year 2000 we purchased a five (5) days hopper pass for Disney World, Orlando,Fl. We have one day left on this hopper pass . Is this hopper passed any good ?

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Question. In the year 2000 we purchased a five (5) days hopper pass for Disney World, Orlando,Fl. We have one day left on this hopper pass . Is this hopper passed any good ?

Do you still have the pass? If so, it looks like it may still be good. I found this on a Disney FAQ:

Q.
I purchased theme park tickets years ago and never used them. Are they still valid?
A.
Walt Disney World Resort continues to honor all unexpired theme park tickets with remaining admission days.

However, be aware that unless you purchased the No Expiration Option, theme park tickets purchased after 2004 expire 14 days after their first use. While the No Expiration Option is no longer available, if you have previously purchased theme park tickets with the No Expiration Option, your tickets will still be honored.

If you have additional questions about your specific theme park tickets, please check with Guest Relations at the theme parks or call (407) 939-1289. Guests under 18 years of age must have parent or guardian

Harry

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Rolltydr, thank for the information; we will call Guest Relations.
The Commander-in-Chief is not a theme person.

caribbeanqueen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Surf Club
My husband and I are taking my son, DIL and two small grandchildren to Disneyworld March 7th for four days. For what it is costing we could have a very nice Caribbean vacation and we haven't even added in the food and souvenirs. My granddaughter is not yet two so we are saving on her flight and admission. It will be a blast seeing Disney through their eyes. I do very few rides myself. Not sure how many the kiddies can go on but there is so much there to see and enjoy.
P.S. You think it is crowded now, wait till next year, their 50th anniversary!