• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Diamond Resort - UPGRADES

AKE

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
We just returned from a Diamond Resort which had gone through the Diamond 'branding' process re new kitchens, appliances, bedding (all with 'diamonds'), toiletries, etc etc... the results are spectacular when compared to what was at that resort 10 years ago when we last visited but there would be, I think, a significant cost. As such what would happen in a ex-Sunterra (now Diamond affiliated) resort which has a number of types of owners and HOA's which may not agree with the way that Diamond is going? (i.e. there are weeks owners at the resort but there are also Diamond points owners at the same resort - the weeks owners do not want to go with the upgrades that Diamond is undertaking but Diamond wants to brand its resorts all the same, even though they do not own the majority of inventory in a number of these resorts)

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
Good News!

We just returned from a Diamond Resort which had gone through the Diamond 'branding' process re new kitchens, appliances, bedding (all with 'diamonds'), toiletries, etc etc... the results are spectacular when compared to what was at that resort 10 years ago when we last visited but there would be, I think, a significant cost. As such what would happen in a ex-Sunterra (now Diamond affiliated) resort which has a number of types of owners and HOA's which may not agree with the way that Diamond is going? (i.e. there are weeks owners at the resort but there are also Diamond points owners at the same resort - the weeks owners do not want to go with the upgrades that Diamond is undertaking but Diamond wants to brand its resorts all the same, even though they do not own the majority of inventory in a number of these resorts)

We were just talking about wanting to see Diamond improve the quality of its resorts on a previous thread today. Which resort were you at?

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
What is the name of the resort you visited?

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
I do not think you'll see these types of upgrades at the resorts DRI does not manage. For instance, Summer Bay manages Gatlinburg Town Square in Gatlinburg, TN. Somehow I can't see Summer Bay having anything to do with DRI branded items.

AKE

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
We were at the Flamingo Beach in St. Maarten.

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
It depends on the situation/resort

They may be in one of two situations.

First: DRI has a minority representation on an owner controlled board of directors that operates the resort for the owners. In that case they have just another vote among equals and only what the majority wants (and is willing to pay for) will occur. Two examples are the Cypress Pointe Resorts in Orlando which set their own plans and costs with input from DRI Board representatives.

Second: DRI has the majority of Board seats (and possibly under DRI controlled management) thus setting the "rules" and costs for the individual owners at whatever level they feel needed. Powhatan and Greensprings are a couple of examples of this. Personally I wouldn't want to be an owner in that situation, but that's strictly me.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
They may be in one of two situations.

First: DRI has a minority representation on an owner controlled board of directors that operates the resort for the owners. In that case they have just another vote among equals and only what the majority wants (and is willing to pay for) will occur. Two examples are the Cypress Pointe Resorts in Orlando which set their own plans and costs with input from DRI Board representatives.

Second: DRI has the majority of Board seats (and possibly under DRI controlled management) thus setting the "rules" and costs for the individual owners at whatever level they feel needed. Powhatan and Greensprings are a couple of examples of this. Personally I wouldn't want to be an owner in that situation, but that's strictly me.

In the second scenario, with DRI, you're basically along for the ride. You just have to hope it's going in the direction you would like to see it move. It's the one thing that makes me nervous about our DRI ownership. Fortunately, their points exchange very well through I.I.

JRS

TUG Member
Reaction score
To Timeos 2

I am not sure either of your scenarios is accurate, however I will stand corrected if incorrect. This is a RTU property, believe run differently than board of directors which are voted upon by the owners. I don't recall ever voting for anything. The owner (I guess) chooses a mgmt company, and simply bills all the RTU owners their share, no voting - you just get the bill. So, what is the advantage of being an owner ? Just that you have that particular time slot in that unit. Mine will be for sale shortly.

:bawl:

JRS

TUG Member
Reaction score
timeos2

Whoops, your second scenario probably addresses this, and I am in agreement - with your personal opinion ....