• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Destinations Club Points vs MVC Asia-Pacific Points benefits and disadvantages

sophyly

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
None
Hi Tuggers,

Need advise on Purchase of MVC Asia Pacific Points. A newbie here.

We have been offered 7000 points for $14,800 on resale market. Since we are Asian but based in Middle East, it is more advantageous to enrolled to MVC Asia Pacific points? We wish to visit more US cities and Europe, we love staying in Marriott family resort and hotel.

The main concern is, could we rent Destinations Club points that available in the market and combined our Asia Pacific points to make one reservation? In future we wish to add Destination Club with 3000 points from resale, will it put us in Presidential level?

I see that the MF for AP points is cheaper than Destinations Club points, which it good. But is there any other major disadvantages being AP points owner?

It is the above offer is a good deal? Anyone has a history record of resale purchase of AP points in 2019?

If this topic has been discussed, can anyone please indicate me to the post thread?

Thanks!

Last edited:

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
Price is cheaper than DC points, but make sure they can be used like DC points

vol_90

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Phuket Beach Club, Aruba Surf Club, Grand Chateau, Canyon Villas, Desert Springs Villas II, Abound & Asia Pacific Points
I own both. Only difference that I am aware of is Ko Olina and Grand Chateau require more points when booking with Asia Pacific points. All other resorts are equal point values. Check out the Points Chart and you will see for Ko Olina & Grand Chateau a points chart for Exchange Property (DC Trust points) and Club Resort Property (Asia Pacific Points). I've had no issues using Asia Pacific points to book Aruba Ocean Club, Legends Edge, MountainSide & Desert Spring Villas II as long as availability is there. 2019 Asia Pacific point maintenance fees were $.39379 vs $.58 for DC Trust points.

dansimms

TUG Member
Reaction score
That is a huge difference in maintenance fees. I thought the selling price was higher for them versus DPs though ?

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
That is a huge difference in maintenance fees. I thought the selling price was higher for them versus DPs though ?
The MVC selling price of APs does tend to be a little higher and there is relatively limited resale market currently.
This is just for the one time purchase price though, so the ongoing MF savings can be very beneficial.

Pocky87

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Vacation Club AP
I'm an AP owner... the maintenance fee is cheaper in the AP end, but the points tenure is shorter. So it really depends on what you really want. But do take note that you cannot convert MVC points to Bonvoy points if you got that via resale, which kind of shut off more choices...

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Anyone have the docs for the AP Points? I wonder if there is an initiation fee when purchasing points in the resale market. If not, that’s a $3 savings per point right there.
I don't think resale AP points can be converted to DC points unless you enroll your AP ownership? In order to enroll it, it would have had to have been bought prior to the cutoff date. If correct, unenrolled AP points are only good within the AP system or exchanging through II.

vol_90

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Phuket Beach Club, Aruba Surf Club, Grand Chateau, Canyon Villas, Desert Springs Villas II, Abound & Asia Pacific Points
Limitations per section "b"

upload_2019-8-26_7-47-54.png

Dac80

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have 30,000 Marriott Asia Pacific points for sale. I purchased the points in 2008 at the Phuket Beach Club
Hi Tuggers,

Need advise on Purchase of MVC Asia Pacific Points. A newbie here.

We have been offered 7000 points for $14,800 on resale market. Since we are Asian but based in Middle East, it is more advantageous to enrolled to MVC Asia Pacific points? We wish to visit more US cities and Europe, we love staying in Marriott family resort and hotel.

The main concern is, could we rent Destinations Club points that available in the market and combined our Asia Pacific points to make one reservation? In future we wish to add Destination Club with 3000 points from resale, will it put us in Presidential level?

I see that the MF for AP points is cheaper than Destinations Club points, which it good. But is there any other major disadvantages being AP points owner?

It is the above offer is a good deal? Anyone has a history record of resale purchase of AP points in 2019?

If this topic has been discussed, can anyone please indicate me to the post thread?

Thanks!
Hi all on this forum relating to the Marriott Asia Pacific club points. I purchased 30,000 AP club points in 2008 at the Phuket Beach Club. I'm interested in selling the points either privately or via a broker but not sure how to go about it. Has anyone sold their AP points and what is the going market resale rate of these points?
thanks

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi all on this forum relating to the Marriott Asia Pacific club points. I purchased 30,000 AP club points in 2008 at the Phuket Beach Club. I'm interested in selling the points either privately or via a broker but not sure how to go about it. Has anyone sold their AP points and what is the going market resale rate of these points?
thanks
Just for clarification, when the AP and DC Points programmes were aligned several ago now, AP points were revalued from the previous 10:1 ratio to 1:1.
So 30,000 AP Club Points in 2008 would now be 3,000 AP Club Points (they still allow you to book the same as you could before though)
If you are not already a member, you might want to request to join the AP Owners Facebook group
In this group recently, members have indicated a market rate for resale of perhaps $4-5 per point, with some going for as low as $2-3?

Last edited: