• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

DC Points Bundled Program (Week + Points)

Jayco29D

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott, Vistana
Has anyone here purchased a bundled program from MVC that includes a deeded week and DC Points? It averages out to about $7.44 per point plus MVC throws in some perks so it seems like a good deal in line with buying all DC Points on the resale market.

However, when I was reading the MVC Exchange Company Enrollment Contract Providing Access To Marriott Vacation Club Destinations Exchange Program for the deeded week, it says:

5.h. the Program should not be the primary reason for purchasing a Timeshare Interest, and any points assigned to each particular use week should not be relied upon in determining the value of that Timeshare Interest for sales purposes.

Then in Bold type, 5.h. continues:

MVCEC reserves the right from time to time to adjust the quantity of Exchange Points received in exchange for enrollment or deposit of the use week associated with the Timeshare Interest, or necessary to reserve Accommodations, due to changes in demand in a specific market, other valuation parameters established by MVCEC, or as might be required by law.

My questions for Tuggers with experience with purchasing a bundled program:

1) Does the above mean that MVC could devalue the number of points I have been promised for the Deeded Week and I could end up with fewer points in the future? The number of points promised for the Deeded Week was not stated anywhere in the contract.

2) If you buy DC Points on the resale market, are the benefits the same as buying DC Points directly from MVC?

3) Does MVC ever change the number of DC Points to make reservations at its various resorts? Is it similar to Disney where the charts do not change from year to year except if a reallocation is made from one season or unit size to another?

Last edited:

catharsis

TUG Member
Reaction score
Has anyone here purchased a bundled program from MVC that includes a deeded week and DC Points? It averages out to about $7.44 per point plus MVC throws in some perks so it seems like a good deal in line with buying all DC Points on the resale market.

However, when I was reading the MVC Exchange Company Enrollment Contract Providing Access To Marriott Vacation Club Destinations Exchange Program for the deeded week, it says:

5.h. the Program should not be the primary reason for purchasing a Timeshare Interest, and any points assigned to each particular use week should not be relied upon in determining the value of that Timeshare Interest for sales purposes.

Then in Bold type, 5.h. continues:

MVCEC reserves the right from time to time to adjust the quantity of Exchange Points received in exchange for enrollment or deposit of the use week associated with the Timeshare Interest, or necessary to reserve Accommodations, due to changes in demand in a specific market, other valuation parameters established by MVCEC, or as might be required by law.

My questions for Tuggers with experience with purchasing a bundled program:

1) Does the above mean that MVC could devalue the number of points I have been promised for the Deeded Week and I could end up with fewer points in the future? The number of points promised for the Deeded Week was not stated anywhere in the contract.

2) If you buy DC Points on the resale market, are the benefits the same as buying DC Points directly from MVC?

3) Does MVC ever change the number of DC Points to make reservations at its various resorts? Is it similar to Disney where the charts do not change from year to year except if a reallocation is made from one season or unit size to another?

1 I think theoretically that is true but was also true during the initial migration to DC Points and was I presume extensively discussed at the time. I have assumed this is not a significant risk as it could only be done to all enrolled weeks owners and not to owners who bought weeks as part of a bundle.

2. Yes, once the junk fees are paid.

3. Marriott can change the points values for particular weeks/nights and so on subject if my recollection is correct to the restriction that the total number of points for all rooms in a particular 'season' is fixed, so if they make one platinum week more expensive they must make another cheaper. To my recollection the most controversial usage of this to date has been to 'adjust' the value of studios making them less attractive in points terms.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
We have seen Marriott adjust the points associated with 1BR and lock-off units but we have not seen them either 1) decrease the points you receive when you redeem a week or 2) increase the points required to make a 2BR reservation.

I do not think either one will change. Marriott is also impacted by the first one, because they assign the same points when they deposit weeks into the Trust. A reduction in our redemption value hurts the value of their future deposits.

We also believe that the fully intact 2Br units are the backbone of the Marriott point system and they would not risk the imbalance it would create. So I think the 2Br unit values are pretty durable (as are dedicated 1Brs, when a lock-off option is not available at same property).

I do expect continued tweaking in the 1BR and Studio values when they are sourced from a kickoff.

Best,

Greg

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Having purchased resale points, they do function the same as non resale points. They are listed separately by date on my MVCI account. However, they are listed the same, all terms used are the same, etc.

"Does the above mean that MVC could devalue the number of points I have been promised for the Deeded Week and I could end up with fewer points in the future?" Well, I suppose you could get more too! I have not seen any real changes, perhaps someone knows of one.