• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Costco - I'm blaming TUG

geoand

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Costco used to make the best peanut butter cookies. I gave up on asking them to start baking them again

isisdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai
Our Sam's Club has recently expanded self checkouts from 4 to about 10, although they're not all always open. If you're shopping by yourself (i.e. no children "helping"), you can put everything in the cart with the barcode up and zap them all in seconds. In fact, if you do that and go to a checker at either Sam's or Costco, you'll get a BIG smile. Leave it all in the cart.

Sam's also has an app that lets you scan with your phone as you shop, then just head for the door. My phone's scanner doesn't seem to work well with this one, and I don't know if it'll let you pick which credit card to use.

OTOH, after all the supermarkets installing and then removing self checkout, Ralphs put them back in. They still suck. They complain if you put your bag down before scanning the first item, and they complain if you do it afterward. It always requires intervention from a human. In Europe, they have these but they don't try to weigh the item to make sure you're not cheating, and it goes MUCH faster. Except a human has to approve a US, PIN-less credit card.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Hey Dave, we are thinking of buying an air fryer from Costco and remember you talking about them when the fish sticks were on sale at Costco. Someone I know posted pictures of the things they made in their air fryer and I commented that we had talked about getting one. They got the Gourmia model GAF-680 and I think paid $69 and change for it. Is there a better model you would recommend?

Sorry, but I can't really speak to air fryers at Costco. I know they're nicely made, and my spouse says they are rarely returned, if that helps. I'd say give it a try, and if you don't like it, take it back. That's what I'd do. If you think you/they'd use it enough, then I'd say go ahead and get it. You have nothing to lose.

When I checked pricing on air fryers last year, the ones Costco had were around $200, which I figured was way more than what I'd ever use. I ended up buying a $75 multi-function design elsewhere that suits our needs pretty well. It is an air fryer, broiler, and toaster oven, and who knows what-all else it does. The settings I've used on it have worked really well. What I don't like about it is the size. It takes up a lot of counter space. Since it gets used only every so often, I keep it in the garage, and bring it in when I want to use it. Then I clean it up and put it back in the garage. Easy breezy. (Last night I used it for fish and chips made with those fish sticks we talked about. Still tasty. )

Dave

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
AND. . . from the FOR WHAT IT's WORTH Department, What was old is new again. . .

Many Costco's are putting back in, Self Checkouts. They were installed then removed some years ago, citing that they really didn't save shoppers time or reduce labor costs, They are being reinstalled at some locations. I haven't been to our local warehouse to check.

Personally, it will be more convenient on the rare occasions that I only pick up a few items, but I can't imaging self-checking a full cart or worse, a big flat-bed loaded with goods for business use or resale. Time will tell if this lasts.

Jim

True statement. I'm told "They've improved." Not sure what that means. I can't see somebody using it for a cart full - that's a lot of work. For get-it-and-go things, like I often do, where I don't even have a cart - just an item or two in my hands, it'd be a good fit. I dislike waiting in line behind several carts-full of things, when I just want to get out of there. I didn't use them previously, so will be interested to see how well they work this time around.

Dave

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
Thanks, Dave. This is the one the people I know got at Costco. It seems much smaller than yours. But yours might have more functions than this one does.

costco air fryer.jpg

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Thanks, Dave. This is the one the people I know got at Costco. It seems much smaller than yours. But yours might have more functions than this one does.

View attachment 12663

The thing I got is like a giant toaster oven, about the size of a countertop microwave oven. Your picture is (I think) a dedicated air fryer, which is much smaller. They work great, from all I've heard, if you only need it for air frying. I wanted to be able to cook mini pizzas and such without turning on the kitchen range. So for me, the combo thing works great.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
AND. . . from the FOR WHAT IT's WORTH Department, What was old is new again. . .

Many Costco's are putting back in, Self Checkouts. They were installed then removed some years ago, citing that they really didn't save shoppers time or reduce labor costs, They are being reinstalled at some locations. I haven't been to our local warehouse to check.

Personally, it will be more convenient on the rare occasions that I only pick up a few items, but I can't imaging self-checking a full cart or worse, a big flat-bed loaded with goods for business use or resale. Time will tell if this lasts.

Jim

Yes, we have the self-checkouts now. AND our newer store has computer kiosks for ordering your food instead of waiting in line to place it. They call your order number when it is ready.

stmartinfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Little Bay, St. Maarten
I hope they bring the self checkouts back to our Costco. I live close to the store and stop in at least once a week for a few items and used to be able to get in and out much quicker when I could self check because they rarely had a line. Now I'm often stuck behind a line of shoppers with overflowing carts! We have the ordering kiosks for our food court, but I haven't tried those yet, since I rarely stop there,

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I don't ever remember Costco, either in California, or here in New Mexico, having self check. What I'd like to see is a line for fewer items.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I don't ever remember Costco, either in California, or here in New Mexico, having self check. What I'd like to see is a line for fewer items.

The self-check lane was something they tested for awhile, then took out. If they're bringing it back, there is likely a reason. My guess s customer demand. An Express Lane thing like you want isn't really a likely choice, because it would require staffing, and for the same dollars-an-hour, they can have the cashier process full carts, too. In the big picture, it likely wouldn't make a lot of difference, but with Costco, everything is about maximizing the dollars in and dollars out.

Dave

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
The self-check lane was something they tested for awhile, then took out. If they're bringing it back, there is likely a reason. My guess s customer demand. An Express Lane thing like you want isn't really a likely choice, because it would require staffing, and for the same dollars-an-hour, they can have the cashier process full carts, too. In the big picture, it likely wouldn't make a lot of difference, but with Costco, everything is about maximizing the dollars in and dollars out.

Dave
But wouldn't the cashier in an Express Lane be able to process more carts, and more product? That would assume there are enough shoppers who only buy a few items.

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
We used one for the first time last weekend in Torrance. It was fine and quick. I'd use it again.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
But wouldn't the cashier in an Express Lane be able to process more carts, and more product? That would assume there are enough shoppers who only buy a few items.

Logically, yes. But they open and close lanes based on crowd sizes and door counts, so I'm not sure how they'd manage a self-check situation. Will bear investigation.

Dave

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
We used one for the first time last weekend in Torrance. It was fine and quick. I'd use it again.
We gave up on that Costco, partly because of the parking, partly because depending on my back/leg pain situation I simply can't do warehouse shopping on bad days, and partly because as two people who don't cook, we really don't need to be bringing home 6-packs of tomato sauce and giant economy sized boxes of anything. I would however try the Sam's around the block again. Parking never an issue and membership fee $5 less than Costco. But Cliff has some bone to pick with the Walton's, so we ended up with no membership anywhere.

Beachclubmum

Reaction score
Stopped by Sam's Club today and THEY have the chicken cordon bleu that I was missing at Costco. Good thing I have memberships to both clubs!

GetawaysRus

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Desert Springs Villas 2
Marriott Grand Chateau
Say it ain't so!!

We stopped off at Costco today and I wanted to buy some bagels. I haven't purchased bagels in a few months. But it seems that the Einstein Bros. bagels are gone with the wind. All I found were Kirkland bagels. And those cheese-topped bagels that I used to buy are no longer in the store. I had to buy everything bagels instead.

For shame, Costco. For shame!

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Say it ain't so!!

We stopped off at Costco today and I wanted to buy some bagels. I haven't purchased bagels in a few months. But it seems that the Einstein Bros. bagels are gone with the wind. All I found were Kirkland bagels. And those cheese-topped bagels that I used to buy are no longer in the store. I had to buy everything bagels instead.

For shame, Costco. For shame!

Did you stop at Member Services and ask about whether your favorite bagels are going to return? Just because you didn't see them doesn't mean they're gone.

Dave

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hubby took Mother to Costco today. I told them to buy some Kirkland Signature fish sticks. There were numerous others but not Kirkland. They asked at Customer Service and were told they'd never heard of them. She did a computer search and that brand was not found. If any of you have some, would you take a photo of the package for me?

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
Did you know that the Costco Visa card includes as a card benefit trip cancellation and trip interruption coverage at no cost?

I posted back in March about the trip cancellation benefit of the Costco Visa card. Well, looks like the trip cancellation AND price rewind benefits are being dropped effective September 22nd. Disappointing since we use our Costco card for everything - including trips.

https://clark.com/credit-cards/citi-costco-visa-changes/

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Just read this to my husband. So now he knows to pay attention to the *'s, +'s and prices other than $. 99 on non food items.

Hey Dave, I didn't buy myself that bigger TV I want but don't need. But I did buy one for our son as a housewarming present.

Jan, I was at Costco today (DUH! No surprise there!) Here's your chance: I saw a 65" LG 4K TV for $579. I have more TVs than I can use as it is, but I was thinking which one can I get rid of to buy this? KILLER DEAL!

I didn't get one, but it hurt to walk past it. LOL!

Dave

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Hubby took Mother to Costco today. I told them to buy some Kirkland Signature fish sticks. There were numerous others but not Kirkland. They asked at Customer Service and were told they'd never heard of them. She did a computer search and that brand was not found. If any of you have some, would you take a photo of the package for me?

Hi Glynda. Sorry, I just saw this post. I don't think I mentioned the brand name, so not sure how you thought they were Kirkland brand. (Did someone else say it? Sorry if I misled you.) They're Trident brand. Item #816563. The sale price is long gone, but the fish sticks are as good as ever. :)

Dave

IMG_1073.JPG

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
Hi Glynda. Sorry, I just saw this post. I don't think I mentioned the brand name, so not sure how you thought they were Kirkland brand. (Did someone else say it? Sorry if I misled you.) They're Trident brand. Item #816563. The sale price is long gone, but the fish sticks are as good as ever. :)

Dave

View attachment 13500

Yup, those are the ones we bought. Made fish tacos with them!

mentalbreak

TUG Member
Reaction score
I posted back in March about the trip cancellation benefit of the Costco Visa card. Well, looks like the trip cancellation AND price rewind benefits are being dropped effective September 22nd. Disappointing since we use our Costco card for everything - including trips.

https://clark.com/credit-cards/citi-costco-visa-changes/

Noooooo! I was planning to make a big travel purchase this October on the Costco visa for this benefit.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hi Glynda. Sorry, I just saw this post. I don't think I mentioned the brand name, so not sure how you thought they were Kirkland brand. (Did someone else say it? Sorry if I misled you.) They're Trident brand. Item #816563. The sale price is long gone, but the fish sticks are as good as ever.

Dave

View attachment 13500

Ah, Dave! Thanks so much! They did end up buying Trident fish sticks but not the same ones. They bought a big box of the beer battered cod. They are pretty good. Inconsistent in size and it’s a BIG box. Will try these when we finally eat all of those. We have a small freezer.

You did not mention the name of the fish sticks in your posts. However, if you start with #18 in this thread and read down some, I think you will see where I assumed from others’ responses that they were Kirkland Signature. I must have been reading an answer to an earlier question. But thanks again!