• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Costco - I'm blaming TUG

Beachclubmum

Reaction score
Annoyed with Costco this week. The chicken cordon bleu, frozen, 6 to a box and individually wrapped, are GONE from my Costco. They were such a handy and easy meal for feeding the kids in my quest to put dinner in the table without having to actually cook anything. Sigh.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Annoyed with Costco this week. The chicken cordon bleu, frozen, 6 to a box and individually wrapped, are GONE from my Costco. They were such a handy and easy meal for feeding the kids in my quest to put dinner in the table without having to actually cook anything. Sigh.

Are they deleted, or just out of stock? It could be they're backordered, and will return soon. Stop at the Member Services desk and ask if they can check to see if the item is deleted. For as popular as that is, I'd be very surprised if it was deleted. I've known situations where a product needed to be reworked, or packaging is changed, or even the manufacturer changes, so the item is gone for a time. But when it returns, it is usually better than it was before.

Not sure if we've talked about this, but when you see something at Costco you like, look at the price card hanging above the item. If there is an asterisk (*) in the upper-right corner of the card, that item is Pending Delete. That means that in its present form, it will be going away. It could also mean it's never coming back. But as I explained above, sometimes it's just because the item is being reworked. When in doubt, stop at Member Services and ask about it. They can check the computer to find out the status.

If there is a Plus Sign (+) in the corner, it often means that is the last one of that item. Buy it, or do without, because you probably won't be seeing it again. It won't be coming back.

If there is ever any price ending in other than .99 cents, it's a markdown price (on non-food items.) They do that to try and clear out the remainder of a product that is going away. So if you see a price ending in .77, .50, or even .00, get it before it's gone.

Dave

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
I have started doing more shopping at WINCO. It is an employee owned discount, large box grocer. I get my oranges and apples for under $1.00 per pound. Way cheaper than COSTCO. I also buy my blueberries at WINCO for several dollars less per 18 ounces than COSTCO. Milk is the same price but I only have to buy 1 gallon at a time and not 2 like COSTCO. Now COSTCO has stopped carrying my favorite Plain FAGE 0 Greek Yogurt. But WINCO carries it. We have started price shopping Chicken and Beef. On sale we get them much cheaper at Fred Meyer (Kroger) and WINCO. The chicken is the same Brand Names and the Beef is high quality.

Beachclubmum

Reaction score
Are they deleted, or just out of stock? It could be they're backordered, and will return soon. Stop at the Member Services desk and ask if they can check to see if the item is deleted. For as popular as that is, I'd be very surprised if it was deleted. I've known situations where a product needed to be reworked, or packaging is changed, or even the manufacturer changes, so the item is gone for a time. But when it returns, it is usually better than it was before.

Not sure if we've talked about this, but when you see something at Costco you like, look at the price card hanging above the item. If there is an asterisk (*) in the upper-right corner of the card, that item is Pending Delete. That means that in its present form, it will be going away. It could also mean it's never coming back. But as I explained above, sometimes it's just because the item is being reworked. When in doubt, stop at Member Services and ask about it. They can check the computer to find out the status.

If there is a Plus Sign (+) in the corner, it often means that is the last one of that item. Buy it, or do without, because you probably won't be seeing it again. It won't be coming back.

If there is ever any price ending in other than .99 cents, it's a markdown price (on non-food items.) They do that to try and clear out the remainder of a product that is going away. So if you see a price ending in .77, .50, or even .00, get it before it's gone.

Dave

Thanks for the advice! You're right, I should check.

Our entire region quit carrying tri-tips. I'm still not over that either. Lol

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Thanks for the advice! You're right, I should check.

Our entire region quit carrying tri-tips. I'm still not over that either. Lol

Could be a number of things:

Temporarily Out
Discontinued
Changing 3rd Party Vendors
Going to Kirkland Branded

The * in the top right corner of the price tag means the item is to be discontinued. But that could also just mean the packaging is changing and they are getting a new item number. It is always best to ask, and to put in a suggestion if you want something. They do consider suggestions.

The markdown actually ends in a .97 not a .99 FYI.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Could be a number of things:

Temporarily Out
Discontinued
Changing 3rd Party Vendors
Going to Kirkland Branded

The * in the top right corner of the price tag means the item is to be discontinued. But that could also just mean the packaging is changing and they are getting a new item number. It is always best to ask, and to put in a suggestion if you want something. They do consider suggestions.

The markdown actually ends in a .97 not a .99 FYI.

I think we kind of said the same thing. :thumbup:

Dave

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
My favorite (and DH's standard "scooby snack") are the Kirkland brand dried cherries, and they have been missing for *MONTHS* now. It is very sad. :( I am in mourning. I can only hope and pray that they return. They periodically do this disappearing act. I wonder if it happens when they change suppliers?

See also: THE ASIAN SNACK MIX

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Gee. There was a whole display case full of tri-tip at our Costco today. But thanks, Dave for refreshing me on the secret code on the price tags. I found a couple of soon-to-disappear items, but nothing I needed/wanted. We got out only $160 lighter. Good thing we didn't buy much. :)

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs

Dave

Just read this to my husband. So now he knows to pay attention to the *'s, +'s and prices other than $. 99 on non food items.

Hey Dave, I didn't buy myself that bigger TV I want but don't need. But I did buy one for our son as a housewarming present.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We have been buying the 28 count box of personal size Skinny Pop from Costco and they have disappeared. Fortunately we found 30 count box from Amazon and we bought 4 of them. It will last us for a while and hopefully Costco will bring them back.

One of our favorite seasonal items from Costco is the seasoned bone-in Ribeye Roast. We make sure we buy them when they are on the shelf for the Thanksgiving season but have not found them in stock for Christmas or New Year. I wish they are available all year around. :(

Last edited:

Beachclubmum

Reaction score
Gee. There was a whole display case full of tri-tip at our Costco today. But thanks, Dave for refreshing me on the secret code on the price tags. I found a couple of soon-to-disappear items, but nothing I needed/wanted. We got out only $160 lighter. Good thing we didn't buy much. :)

They discontinued carrying the tri-tips in the Carolinas a couple of years ago. Was told they were actually a good seller in my regular store but the decision was made by corporate and was for the entire region (guess the other stores didn't sell as many). Being from California originally I still miss that California cut of meat! I had such a wonderful and easy recipe for it too...using a rub and crock pot (which sound hideous but the tri-tip was cooked above the juices and came out perfectly, slightly rare plus browned due to the rub).

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
I really miss the Kirkland Rustic Tuscan spice blend they used sell. It’s been several years since they stocked it. It was great on almost everything from my spaghetti sauce to olive oil for bread dipping. Most of the items Costco has discontinued I can live without. That spice blend? Even though I know it’s gone, I still check for it every time I’m there.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Many times things disappear because the Contract between the Supplier and COSTCO has run. They may be in Contract negociations to renew/redo the Contract. Several years ago our local Costco ran out of the Red Lobster Cheddar Biscuits - our favorite. We asked and were told they would be back. They just did not know how long it would be for the new Contract. They checked in the computer and a Costco about 20 minutes away had some still in stock. So we went there and bought 3 boxes to tide us over.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
I really miss the Kirkland Rustic Tuscan spice blend they used sell. It’s been several years since they stocked it. It was great on almost everything from my spaghetti sauce to olive oil for bread dipping. Most of the items Costco has discontinued I can live without. That spice blend? Even though I know it’s gone, I still check for it every time I’m there.
Hi Dayooper,

Check out www.vitacart.com and www.oakspringoutdoors.com.
They have what you are looking for.

Also, if you do a google search on Kirkland Rustic Tuscan Spice you will additionally get a lot of choices for Tuscan spices.

Buon Appetito.

Richard

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
All the signs were there.

Yesterday I picked my husband up at the airport from his trip to Ohio to help our son get some things done before they get moved in to the house they just bought. Before he left we had discussed him taking them to Costco. We thought they might want to join and he could get them stocked up on groceries like I always do when I'm there. He and our son went to Costco on Monday afternoon.

Clue #1. Our son told me that his father even outdid me. I know what I typically spend so I'm thinking $100-$150 more because at Costco you are buying in larger quantities. That's fine.

Clue #2. My husband told me that our son knows prices and what is a good deal. Yes I'm aware of that. It's one of several reasons why he does the family shopping, not his wife. My husband has gotten better about noticing what things cost but price isn't particularly relevant to him most of the time. Clearly there is a very good reason he has never been in charge of our finances.

Clue #3. He made it a point to tell me about all the meat he bought them and that it had to be least $100 worth of meat. More than that I tell him. And I tell him that is good because I always load them up on meat as it is the most expensive part of the grocery budget.

Clue #4. At this point I did ask how much he spent and he said he had the receipt. This is his normal answer but he didn't offer to get the receipt out and look.

Clue #5. Yesterday morning before they left for the airport when he called normally he would be totally focused on talking about what time and where I was to pick him up before anything else. Instead he was telling me how much of the fruit he bought that our 2 year old granddaughter ate for breakfast. We are both well aware of how much this kid loves fruit. Like it was important for me to pleased that he made sure to buy lots of fruit, vegetables and other healthy things for our granddaughters. I'm a soft touch when it comes to the girls.

Clue #6. He suggests on the way home from the airport that instead of eating dinner at home we go to Bahama Breeze. It will be happy hour and I do like the half priced apps and the Aruba Red!

So how much was the total on the Costco receipt he handed me when we were seated at Bahama Breeze? $541.40! I sat there in stunned silence looking over the 16+ inch receipt while listening to him tell me about his big Costco shopping spree. When he was done and breathing easy because I hadn't said anything about how much he spent he said I suppose everyone on TUG is going to hear about this. Yup

The only thing I did question was the two boxes of the Kirkland Signature protein bars he bought for our son. Our son works out and teaches a few classes at a Crossfit gym so eats the protein bars after he works out. Normally this is something my husband would refuse to buy so that surprised me. Our son looked at the ingredients in them, said they were good quality and told my husband what he normally pays. That was enough to convince my husband to put not just one box at $17.99 in the cart but two boxes. Our son said the savings on the protein bars alone was enough to make it worthwhile for them to get a Costco membership.

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
All the signs were there.

Our son said the savings on the protein bars alone was enough to make it worthwhile for them to get a Costco membership.

Jan, your husband is my new hero. :) The entire warehouse concept has hit him, right between the eyes. My biggest hope is that he put the purchase on your Costco Visa and Executive Membership account, so you get cash back for all his benevolence. And $541 isn't really a lot to spend at Costco, unless it was ALL groceries. Your son is a lucky guy to have such willing parents. Well, his father, anyway. ;)

Interesting that your son likes the Kirkland protein bars. I'm not a fan.

How's that TV coming along? :D

Dave

Last edited:

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
@Jan M. I enjoyed your story and want to ask if you were suspicious when you hit #6?

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
Interesting that your son likes the Kirkland protein bars. I'm not a fan.

He said he likes the one kind he's tried so far. I'm sure they taste even better because they didn't cost him anything. Lol.

And $541 isn't really a lot to spend at Costco, unless it was ALL groceries.

The only non food items were toilet paper, paper towels, dishwasher detergent and laundry detergent. The refrigerator/freezer and cupboards in their first house are definitely full! My husband and son both cook so they knew what they were doing when they shopped. The only frivolous items they bought were a big carton of Goldfish and a bag of Pirate's Booty for the girls.

How's that TV coming along?

No TV for me because I bought one for our son. I ordered it online from Costco and it's scheduled for delivery on Friday.

Our Costo Visa card is getting put to good use!

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Our Costo Visa card is getting put to good use!

That’s good to hear. I don’t know if you know this, but you can log onto the Citi website for your card, and you can see the total of your Cash Back to date. Might take a bit of the sting out of the card balance. :).

Then you can stop at the Member Services desk in Costco and ask them to run your shopping history, to give you an idea of how much 2% you’ll get back on your Executive Member account. It adds up fast. If memory serves, spending $6000 a year gives back $120, which pays for your Executive account.

Dave

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
@Jan M. I enjoyed your story and want to ask if you were suspicious when you hit #6?

Not in the least that's why I was so stunned I was speechless when he handed me the receipt. It's a good thing I didn't have a mouthful of that Aruba Red beer when I looked at it.

What he spent isn't a problem and they did an excellent job in what they bought. It was just $200 more than the most I was expecting. We celebrated our 41st anniversary last month and before we got married my husband set down his rules for money. He said I'll hand over my paycheck and you do as you see fit. I don't ever want to find out the bills aren't getting paid and I want money when I hold out my hand. There have been a number of times over the years that he's traveled for his job and been gone anywhere from a week to a month at a time. Today you can take care of everything online but back then it was necessary for me to handle the money and I still do. My husband is a pretty low maintenance guy so if his idea of holding out his hand for money is spending $541.50 at Costco on groceries for our son and his family then I'll count my blessings that I'm married to a wonderful man.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Outstanding, Jan - congratulations on 41 years and counting!

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
Hey Dave, we are thinking of buying an air fryer from Costco and remember you talking about them when the fish sticks were on sale at Costco. Someone I know posted pictures of the things they made in their air fryer and I commented that we had talked about getting one. They got the Gourmia model GAF-680 and I think paid $69 and change for it. Is there a better model you would recommend?

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
AND. . . from the FOR WHAT IT's WORTH Department, What was old is new again. . .

Many Costco's are putting back in, Self Checkouts. They were installed then removed some years ago, citing that they really didn't save shoppers time or reduce labor costs, They are being reinstalled at some locations. I haven't been to our local warehouse to check.

Personally, it will be more convenient on the rare occasions that I only pick up a few items, but I can't imaging self-checking a full cart or worse, a big flat-bed loaded with goods for business use or resale. Time will tell if this lasts.

Jim

geoand

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am another designated driver as I rarely drink alcohol although there isn’t a drink to strong for me