• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Costco - I'm blaming TUG

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I do enjoy the occasional adult beverage when the mood strikes, what pi$$e$ me off is that the state allows no competition for their monopoly. They control ALL retail alcohol and license sales. If you are fortunate enough to live in a growing community, and want to sell some booze, you have to negotiate with a 'broker' who owns a grandfathered liquor license to sell liquor by the drink. It can be tens of thousands of dollars a month. The legislature sets a limit of one liquor license per 1,500 of population.

The state also gets paid for all beer over 6% ABV. Wine too, but I don't know the level.

Sooooo except for beer and wine and some bottled mixed drinks (Margaritas, sangria and stuff) no booze at Costco- or grocery stores in Idaho,

Jim

GetawaysRus

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Desert Springs Villas 2
Marriott Grand Chateau
I enjoyed the OP's comments.

You aren't a serious Costco member until you find yourself trying to time your visits so that you can max out on the "treats" (most people call them samples). My wife and I sometimes do the "Costco lunch" with all the goodies available.

Yes, the pizza is quite good. But I didn't see you mention the rotisserie chickens or the danishes. (We had to stop off today on our way home to pick up cheese danishes and cherry danishes. I'm looking forward to breakfast tomorrow.)

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
Yes, the pizza is quite good. But I didn't see you mention the rotisserie chickens or the danishes. (We had to stop off today on our way home to pick up cheese danishes and cherry danishes. I'm looking forward to breakfast tomorrow.)

Thanks a whole heck of a lot for posting about the danishes. We both like danishes and definitely don't need them! And I'm guessing they are really good too? I'll have to remember them the next time we have company staying with us.

Hobokie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Elara (HGVC) + Worldmark
Did you know that the Costco Visa card includes as a card benefit trip cancellation and trip interruption coverage at no cost?

@RX8, on a Costco trip, you mean...? (trip cancellation and trip interruption)

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Thanks a whole heck of a lot for posting about the danishes. We both like danishes and definitely don't need them! And I'm guessing they are really good too? I'll have to remember them the next time we have company staying with us.

The Costco bakery items are awesome, plain and simple. Always interesting, and full of flavor. Where else can you get a huge deep dish apple pie that weighs about five pounds, for $8.99? You can't even make it for that. Muffins the size of softballs in lots of varieties, homemade cookies that are excellent (especially the chunky chocolate chip ones. But their oatmeal cookies and white chocolate cookies are pretty darn good, too. ;))

And don't overlook the Fresh Deli items they make. They have a Shepard's Pie that's killer good. (Even though it's made with hamburger, not lamb.) Excellent salads, high rollers, a buttery salmon bake that's absolutely amazing - there are a lot of choices on things made right there in the warehouse. Don't forget the Rotisserie Chicken - best $4.99 you'll ever spend. You can look them over while you're pondering buying that big screen TV you know you want. LOL! :)

You need to stop being practical, and give in to your shopping pleasure. You know you want to. And oh yeah - Costco is open Sundays, too. Gosh, that's tomorrow! ;)

Dave

Last edited:

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The Costco bakery items are awesome, plain and simple. Always interesting, and full of flavor. Where else can you get a huge deep dish apple pie that weighs about five pounds, for $8.99? You can't even make it for that. Muffins the size of softballs in lots of varieties, homemade cookies that are excellent (especially the chunky chocolate chip ones. But their oatmeal cookies and white chocolate cookies are pretty darn good, too. ;))
;)

Dave
I used to buy the the muffins, kept 2 or 3 in the fridge and froze the rest. With the each muffin, I would slice into 2 and eat one half at a time. I could eat a whole muffin but it is a balance of want vs. need. Those muffins are very sweet but tasty.

Last edited:

Bucky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Oceanwatch (2)
I used to buy the the muffins, kept 2 or 3 in the fridge and froze the rest. With the each muffin, I would slice into 2 and eat one half at a time. I could eat a whole muffin but it is a balance of want vs. need. Those muffins are very sweet but tasty.

We don’t have a Costco close to us so every time we go to “town” we stop at one and pick up two loafs of their Cranberry Walnut bread and two rotisserie chickens. We cut the loafs in half and freeze them. Use them for either regular toast or French toast. We pluck the chickens and put small portions in plastic bags and freeze. We then use it for tacos when the mood strikes.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
I’ve got 3 within a 10 mile radius, helps to live in a high density population area.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
Darn, we already messed up and used the end of the year check for 2018 the wrong way. We joined in mid November so the check was only for $11 and change and we were only buying 3 things when we used it. But thanks; I just told my husband so we remember when the check comes for 2019 because it will be for a lot more.

Like I said we aren't vodka drinkers but my BIL was happy with his purchase. He either had it at someone's house or read about it online after hearing about it from other people or maybe both. At any rate they were excited to go and when they get home they can tell their friends they finally got to go to a Costco. Our son had a lot of fun ripping on us for entertaining them with a fun filled trip to exotic Costco.

This Vodka talk has me thinking of a podcast I listened to yesterday on cleaning myths and truths. A guy was making his wife put his clothes in a freezer (they had a special freezer for this) as he said that it would kill the bacteria and they would smell better. The wife called the podcast as it was an ongoing debate/argument in their house. The podcast called an odor expert who said the freezer was only a "purgatory for bacteria." It didn't kill it. Instead, misting the clothes with vodka would do the job! So, there you go. You can tell your brother-in-law about another use for his cheap vodka. :D:D

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
This Vodka talk has me thinking of a podcast I listened to yesterday on cleaning myths and truths. A guy was making his wife put his clothes in a freezer (they had a special freezer for this) as he said that it would kill the bacteria and they would smell better. The wife called the podcast as it was an ongoing debate/argument in their house. The podcast called an odor expert who said the freezer was only a "purgatory for bacteria." It didn't kill it. Instead, misting the clothes with vodka would do the job! So, there you go. You can tell your brother-in-law about another use for his cheap vodka. :D:D

I bet the clothes come out happier!

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
I am one of those people who dislikes alcohol. It disturbs my sleep as it makes me sleep for an hour and lay there awake for the rest of the night. Drinking alcohol usually gives me a headache too. I guess I should be thankful that it saves us some money although my husband drinks on my behalf. :)

Same here! I am ALWAYS the designated driver!

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
I find the Costco Fruit Pies way too sweet. But that seems to be a problem with most mass produced fruit pies. However their Pumpkin Pie is top notch.

RALnGA

TUG Member
Reaction score
As far as returns go Costco is #1...
2 years ago my wife was behind a woman that was returning a LIVE Christmas tree AFTER Christmas. She complained that the needles were falling off the tree. They kindly gave her the money back (she had bought it right after Thanksgiving). My wife asked the cashier about the tree being brought back and getting the refund, the cashier smiled and said "Well the tree should of lasted at least until New Years. Besides she wasn't happy about it".
Costco stands behind everything they sell.
It's the best and cheapest place to grab lunch or take a "date", a drink and All Beef Hot Dog for $1.60. And you DON"T have to be a member to walk in and purchase anything at the food court.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I find the Costco Fruit Pies way too sweet. But that seems to be a problem with most mass produced fruit pies. However their Pumpkin Pie is top notch.
I find most of fruit pies, cakes, muffins... fill in the blank sold at stores, including Costco, too sweet. It is a blessing in disguise when I learned that I am gluten intolerant. I can still get frozen gluten-free donuts at the stores and other than that it forces me to bake my own. We use splenda instead of sugar because my husband is diabetic and also cuts down the amount used so that they do not taste too sweet.

Last edited:

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
About 10 years ago the Salem Costco had a promotion - toss in your Business Card and if drawn they would provide Bagels, Muffins, Cream Cheese, and fresh fruit for your company for a morning snack. One of my fellow attorney's cards was selected. We assumed that once they heard the size of our company (700) they would follow through by just providing for our Division - Legal (50). Nope they kept their word and provided. We learned they had several Bakers busy for 2 days just making Bagels and Muffins for the event.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
@DaveNW I don't do returns at Costco even at times when I should. If someone regularly abuses the liberal refund/return policy, what does Costco do about it? "Fire" them by terminating their membership?

Last edited:

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
I find most of fruit pies, cakes, muffins... filled in the blank sold at stores, including Costco, too sweet. It is a blessing in disguise when I learned that I am gluten intolerant. I can still get frozen gluten-free donuts at the stores and other than that it forces me to bake my own. We use splenda instead of sugar because my husband is diabetic and also cut down the amount used so that they do not taste too sweet.

I bake my own fruit pies. I make a sour cherry pie. Start with sour cherries canned in water and only one-half of the sugar. But otherwise I Love GLUTEN and GMOed food. I remember an occasion years ago when Patti made a true Key Lime Pie. It was not green. A friend was visiting and Patti offered her a slice. This friend assumed all desserts/pies were sweet. Boy the expression on her face with her first bite was truly amazing. Through pinched lips she got out "I don't think I like Key Lime Pie." Patti had pity on her and told her she could go to the sink and spit it out.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I bake my own fruit pies. I make a sour cherry pie. Start with sour cherries canned in water and only one-half of the sugar. But otherwise I Love GLUTEN and GMOed food. I remember an occasion years ago when Patti made a true Key Lime Pie. It was not green. A friend was visiting and Patti offered her a slice. This friend assumed all desserts/pies were sweet. Boy the expression on her face with her first bite was truly amazing. Through pinched lips she got out "I don't think I like Key Lime Pie." Patti had pity on her and told her she could go to the sink and spit it out.
Too funny. I am one of the folks who also not like sour anything.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
@DaveNW I don't do returns at Costco even at timees when I should. If someone regularly abuses the liberal refund/return policy, what does Costco do about it? "Fire" them by terminating their membership?

It depends on the type of abuse. Some people return things all the time. (My spouse calls them "regulars".) There is no issue with that. If the return is legitimate, Costco has no trouble with it. The Costco buyers factor in something like 10% of any item as expected returns. They track such things, and if an item has too high of a return rate, they may stop selling it. (Pretty smart, actually.) You should never hesitate to return something that you're not satisfied with, whether it is food that went bad or didn't taste right, clothes that don't fit or that you don't like, something that broke under regular use, or any merchandise that just didn't measure up to your expectations. That's part of the Costco business model, and will be no trouble for you.

The people who get into trouble are those who deliberately abuse the policy. I'm talking about the people who buy the huge screen TV the week before the Super Bowl, and return it the week after - year after year. The people who repeatedly buy something that isn't up to the task at hand, then return it when it fails, only to buy another of the same item, then return that one when it fails for the same reason. An example of that was a guy who owned a small restaurant. He bought a non-commercial deep fryer intended for a home kitchen, and used it in his restaurant. When it failed, he bought another, and then another. After about the fourth time, it came to the attention of the refund cashier, who knew this guy because he was a "regular." A Manager was notified, and the guy was told he would not be receiving a refund on this item if he ever returned it again. He was "strongly" encouraged to buy a commercial deep fryer. He did.

Memberships being cancelled are rare, and the situation has to justify the action. Returning something they can't prove you bought (that whole shopping history thing I mentioned in a previous post), and trying to defraud the system in some way. People shoplift items all the time, then try to return them for cash. That whole shopping history thing comes into play a lot. It's people like that who cause their own issue.

So if you have something you think needs to go back, take it back. If they refuse the refund, ask them why. Often, in disputes with members, a Manager or Supervisor is brought in. After discussion with the member, the Manager will often agree to the refund, and that's that. Abuse it enough to become a person known to be troublesome, and your account can get flagged as one to watch. When they scan your membership card at the Refund desk, any "card blocks" come up right away. The clerk can read and make notes on your account, and any red flags are noted. Go to another warehouse, and the same notes show up there. In most cases, it's a non-issue. But if you're a problem member, they'll know about it, and take action accordingly.

In short, 99.999% of members never have an issue. The return policy is generous for a reason. They know if you're a happy member, you'll spend more. So go about your business normally, and don't worry about returning something you don't like. If you're trying to cheat them, they'll know. And THAT is the best way to have your membership cancelled. It's rare, but it does happen.

Dave

Last edited:

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
As far as returns go Costco is #1...
2 years ago my wife was behind a woman that was returning a LIVE Christmas tree AFTER Christmas. She complained that the needles were falling off the tree. They kindly gave her the money back (she had bought it right after Thanksgiving). My wife asked the cashier about the tree being brought back and getting the refund, the cashier smiled and said "Well the tree should of lasted at least until New Years. Besides she wasn't happy about it".
Costco stands behind everything they sell.
It's the best and cheapest place to grab lunch or take a "date", a drink and All Beef Hot Dog for $1.60. And you DON"T have to be a member to walk in and purchase anything at the food court.

I'm told Costco no longer sells Christmas trees. The example above is likely why. I'm sure that same thing happened enough times at enough warehouses all over, that they realized it wasn't worth the trouble to try and sell trees.

Dave

Last edited:

moonstone

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
A Costco was built across the street from a university near our home in Orillia ON. The food area at Costco always has a lot of university students in it! Where else could a university student get lunch for $1.50 (Cndn.)? We always see students taking a full fountain drink back across the street. There really isn't anywhere else off campus for them to go but there is currently new commercial development being built next door to Costco which will include a few fast food places. Maybe after they open DH & I will be able to find a table to eat our $3.15 (taxes incl) lunch out every week when we go into town.

~Diane

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
The Wildest Returns People Have Tried to Make at Costco, According to Employees
By Aine Cain/ Business Insider/ businessinsider.com

• "Costco has a particularly generous returns policy.
  • It's not unheard of for members to get away with returning gross or old items, although consistent fraud could prompt the company to terminate a person's membership.
  • Costco employees say that members occasionally take advantage of the policy to a ridiculous degree.
Costco has an infamously generous return policy.
And there's a reason for that. One former Costco manager explained the reasoning behind the policy, telling Business Insider that the "liberal return policy" creates a sense of confidence in members.

"They know that if it does not meet expectations they can return it," the ex-manager said. That confidence then prompts them to shop and spend more.

What's more, the former manager said that, despite the horror stores, "this policy is not taken advantage of as much as you might think."

"Being a membership club, the members have a vested interest through their membership fees to follow the rules," the manager said. "Sales and returns are tracked and fraud is easy to spot. In these cases, memberships are canceled. Many times members would have rather me call the police than cancel their membership when caught shoplifting or committing return fraud."

That being said, most Costco employees have at least one or two stories about particularly bizzare returns.

"We've seen it all," one employee told Business Insider....."

5c76d26c2628981d0008d552-1536-1152.jpg

"We've seen it all," one employee told Business Insider.
Orin Zebest/Flickr

Richard