• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Cost sharing with invited guests/friends

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
Curious about everyone's thoughts on the etiquette regarding cost sharing when you invite friends or other guests to share your timeshare week. DW and I have always considered our timeshares to be more or less a "vacation home," and we would never dream of asking friends to split costs of utilities or upkeep to invite them. Frequently they will offer to pick up the tab on a nice dinner or pitch in some extra dough at the grocery or liquor store, but beyond that we just enjoy having them along. Does anybody have other perspectives on this?

Tank

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV South Beach Myrtle Beach
HICV Lake Geneva
HICV Gatlinburg
HICV Orange Lake Kissemee
shouldn't have to ask, done it many times with friends. They all paid for something thru-out the trip as appreciation on there own and that was nice.
I have had none of them ask about renting one on there own.

could start off by hey I'm looking at going such and such place this time of year, anybody interested in going and share the cost?

If you like company and you can afford the trip, you are better off inviting to come along, splitting you will probably go alone.

Markus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WLR, WKV, WDW
The folks that I have been away with often realize the value that is being given to them. After all these are very luxurious resorts and they may not head there on their own. I have had friends pick up the cost of the rental cars in the past, and they were more than happy to do so. I think that this is fair, when you look at the MFs and the initial capital costs of acquiring the weeks.

Mark

Last edited:

NNerland

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are taking 4 couples to St John with us this January. We used our 3 bedroom at 12 months and got a 2 bedroom loft at 8 months. We also took these 4 couples to Cancun two years ago.

When we went to Cancun the options were so cheap in January when we went most just bought us dinner and when we returned home they gave us a $400 Gift Certificate for a really nice resort weekend getaway that we used for our anniversary.

When we organized this trip they all said they would pay for their share. So we simply added up the "Options" cost and divided by 5 -- worked out to $900/couple for lodging for 1 week in St John. As I explained, if they were to try and go on their own to St John a 3bd at Retail would be about $900/night and Studios/Hotel Rooms are around $500/night at the least.

All very happy to share -- we bring it up and the conversation is pretty easy. Not many people just expect a free vacation and when you share in "your" cost of dues it is very cheap and a very nice experience. Much different than a vacation home or real property. You are really just "renting" a week even if you have some "title"

This is one of the reasons we bought - to share with others and have the opportunity to take vacations we could otherwise not afford often.

dsexton

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Beach Quarters, RiverPointe, Westin Lagunamar, Sea Scape Beach and Golf Villas
It Depends

Curious about everyone's thoughts on the etiquette regarding cost sharing when you invite friends or other guests to share your timeshare week. DW and I have always considered our timeshares to be more or less a "vacation home," and we would never dream of asking friends to split costs of utilities or upkeep to invite them. Frequently they will offer to pick up the tab on a nice dinner or pitch in some extra dough at the grocery or liquor store, but beyond that we just enjoy having them along. Does anybody have other perspectives on this?

For my regular weeks that I'm paying Maintenance fees on, I usually take the total I pay in MF plus the cost to exchange and divide by total number of people staying. For bonus weeks and XYZ's that only cost me the exchange fee, I don't charge them anything.

geekette

Reaction score
The key is setting expectations. If you have no need to reimbursement, just say so upfront and let them treat on whatever. If you do require *something*, whether it be cost splitting or kick in ("what if you pay the rental car?" or "just take us out to dinner and we'll be square", "cost per person will be $x") just be sure to have whatever conversations during the planning stage so nothing gets awkward and no bad assumptions linger.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
I never ask or expect anything. The two couples we travel with the most insist on paying for something. One writes me a check for $1000 + more than his fair share of the rental car no matter where we go. We split groceries.

My cousin pays for all groceries, dinner out, and the rental car.

I invited another couple back in '06 to travel to Maui with us, before we bought at WKORV. We split the cost of our condo 50/50, but got them 2 FREE tickets to Hawaii via our SkyMiles (we could have gotten 2 FC tickets, but instead got 4 economy tickets), plus one night in an OF room at the Hilton Hawaiian Village paid with 70,000(!) of our HHonors points. They never even treated us to dinner, and in fact argued over $10 that she claimed that she'd paid directly to the hotel even though it appeared on my folio. That $10 turned out to be quite expensive for them because we've never asked them again. I certainly don't expect to make a profit on sharing my vacation home with someone, but I expect a certain amount of appreciation in return.

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
We figure we would have to pay the MF if no one went with us and vacationing with others is more fun. :banana: We specifically bought a larger unit so we can invite others along. If they want to give us something toward the MF that is fine, but not expected. If they ask I suggest they can take us out for a nice dinner. If we don't want company on vacation, we get a smaller unit and stay longer or take multiple vacations.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
This has been discussed ad nauseam. If we have expectations of sharing costs, we better say so upfront. If not clear, we better be satisfied with the result. Our experience: Friends share costs, either directly or 'in kind'. Family members treat invitations as entitlement. Result: Friends get invited again. Deadbeats don't.

Jim

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
I never ask or expect anything. The two couples we travel with the most insist on paying for something. One writes me a check for $1000 + more than his fair share of the rental car no matter where we go. We split groceries.

My cousin pays for all groceries, dinner out, and the rental car.

I invited another couple back in '06 to travel to Maui with us, before we bought at WKORV. We split the cost of our condo 50/50, but got them 2 FREE tickets to Hawaii via our SkyMiles (we could have gotten 2 FC tickets, but instead got 4 economy tickets), plus one night in an OF room at the Hilton Hawaiian Village paid with 70,000(!) of our HHonors points. They never even treated us to dinner, and in fact argued over $10 that she claimed that she'd paid directly to the hotel even though it appeared on my folio. That $10 turned out to be quite expensive for them because we've never asked them again. I certainly don't expect to make a profit on sharing my vacation home with someone, but I expect a certain amount of appreciation in return.

meh... you just can't make some people happy.

I love it when I hear people complain about the free drinks and snacks at the happy-hour receptions as well. "You're in paradise drinking a free beer and eating free snacks and you're complaining? Really?"

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
This has been discussed ad nauseam. If we have expectations of sharing costs, we better say so upfront. If not clear, we better be satisfied with the result. Our experience: Friends share costs, either directly or 'in kind'. Family members treat invitations as entitlement. Result: Friends get invited again. Deadbeats don't.

Jim

Some of us are new and haven't been in the discussion. I myself appreciate others sharing what their experience has been.

Thank you to those who shared.:D

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
I do like the technique that was discussed (somewhere) in the previous forums: (especially for the first-time guest)

Show them the website with the rental/per night listings or VRBO listings etc.....$$$$ Wait for their mouth to hit the floor... then explain what you think is fair (rental car or share of MF's etc...) I truly do not think that people realize what a nice unit costs to rent in Hawaii/HHI/Scottsdale etc... I also think it helps them feel good about sharing a small portion of the cost that some people are paying to rent.

And, as I've mentioned to my DW: please don't tell people we have a TS and it's 'FREE' why don't you join us? She has a very big heart and I love her dearly . I just pull up the MF bills and remind her that 'free' and 'paid-for' are two very different things.

To clarify: we usually ask if they'll get the rental car or some groceries or beverages etc... but if it was 2 or 3 units for a group or family reunion etc... we would plan on sharing rental/exchange fees.

Last edited:

geekette

Reaction score
I do like the technique that was discussed (somewhere) in the previous forums: (especially for the first-time guest)

Show them the website with the rental/per night listings or VRBO listings etc.....$$$$ Wait for their mouth to hit the floor... then explain what you think is fair (rental car or share of MF's etc...) I truly do not think that people realize what a nice unit costs to rent in Hawaii/HHI/Scottsdale etc... I also think it helps them feel good about sharing a small portion of the cost that some people are paying to rent.

And, as I've mentioned to my DW: please don't tell people we have a TS and it's 'FREE' why don't you join us? She has a very big heart and I love her dearly . I just pull up the MF bills and remind her that 'free' and 'paid-for' are two very different things.
Fabulous. I sometimes do a "compare to ..." for rentals but hadn't done that with friends/family. It's a great idea when you are expecting some cost sharing.

For sure, "free" is not the same as "Paid For", and I think most people understand this, even if they have 0 timeshare clue.

DAman

TUG Member
Reaction score
The problem I have found is that people that don't pay a share of the costs tend to cancel/not show up more often than those who pay a share of the costs.

When friends want their own unit I think it is reasonable for them to pay your costs.

This is a tricky subject which is why when it is discussed I look carefully.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I usually invite family ... different rules apply for the "situation'.

Grief stricken sister - free; she buys alcohol.

12 yo nephew - free plus I feed him.

My birthday party week - I pay for roof; they treat me like b-day girl (for the week). Every 5 year party .... I decide where, too. (Ft Lauderdale, Hawaii .... need to start planning for next one in 18 months).

Spring Training Week - again, I pay for the roof; they pay for everything else. They LOVE MLB baseball. I hate any form of baseball ... yes, they are bribing me, but who else can get really nice condos which are FREE to them.

Friends ... most have NO INTEREST of vacationing in a timeshare unit. And I am happy to leave it at that.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
I usually invite family ... different rules apply for the "situation'.

Grief stricken sister - free; she buys alcohol.

12 yo nephew - free plus I feed him.

My birthday party week - I pay for roof; they treat me like b-day girl (for the week). Every 5 year party .... I decide where, too. (Ft Lauderdale, Hawaii .... need to start planning for next one in 18 months).

Spring Training Week - again, I pay for the roof; they pay for everything else. They LOVE MLB baseball. I hate any form of baseball ... yes, they are bribing me, but who else can get really nice condos which are FREE to them.

Friends ... most have NO INTEREST of vacationing in a timeshare unit. And I am happy to leave it at that.

I think I like your system. "It's my party and I'll stay where I want to..."

Last edited:

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score

We do the same thing you do. An invitation is an invitation, not a business transaction. Most guests do bring a nice bottle of wine or take us out to dinner once, which is more than gracious.

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score
We never expect our guests to pay anything. They usually offer to take us out to dinner once during their stay, but we do not have this expectation.

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
The friends we usually timeshare with have been to the sales pitch and understand the mf cost.
I usually get the question what were the MF on the points for this trip and they divide that down the middle.

As others have said, compared to the cost of direct booking Or rental it makes a cheap weeks vacation somewhere very nice.

They are also disinclined to vacation so we are their 'forced vacation'

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk

Eagle7304

TUG Member
Reaction score
When we invite friends & family to Maui, it is our choice. We do not expect anything other than their company. We only invite people we enjoy spending time with and love making wonderful memories. We love Maui and enjoy showing people places that we like going to. We bought a two room timeshare so that we could bring friends and make a point of letting people know it is our treat. We know that there is a huge cost to get to Maui and we want friends to have a great experience without worrying about the cost of the room. We've had friends treat us to a nice dinner and one couple gave us a check that covered half the MF.

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras
We have invited friends and family to use the other bedroom portion of our 2 bd room lockoffs at WLR and WKV. We have not asked for any compensation other than them giving a credit card for their room # so they can use the swim up bar (WLR) or other on-site activites if they choose to. We have been willing to provide the week stay for free but not an unlimited pass for charging expenses at the resort.

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
:p
The problem I have found is that people that don't pay a share of the costs tend to cancel/not show up more often than those who pay a share of the costs.

This. Folks need to have a vested interest. With some people the perceived value of a free trip is zero.

I think that you only get burned this way once.

I suppose that I should clarify. The only time that I have been burned is by family members who have bailed out along the way. Actually this has happened to us more than once, I am ashamed to say (only because I keep asking them to go along). It gets tiresome - the last time was late this summer when I booked a location that I would have not otherwise booked, but the other party was dying to see it. So I booked a week in RCI - 20 TPU's plus the exchange fee. Roughly about $750 in cost. Lo and behold, a better trip came along and I was told that they changed their minds. I was able to cancel and get most of my TPU's back but of course, not the exchange fee. I swear, this is the last time! :p I'm never inviting them to travel with us again.

Last edited:

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It depends on who it is.

There is a couple we travel with to Vegas who also own a timeshare. They understand there is a cost with timeshares, since they have their own, so they offer to pay for our tickets to shows (as a foursome we usually do 2 or 3 shows in a week) which usually exceeds $500. This is fair enough to me and then we split dinners down the middle, and pay our own way for any daytime excursions.

I have taken family in the past (middle aged adults) who completely abused the privilege and were even borderline ungrateful. The last straw was when the parents (of a family of 4) took their luggage into the second bedroom and immediately threw the second queen sized mattress from the bedroom for their teenage kids to sleep on in THE LIVING ROOM. So I had to deal with their kids taking over the living area and we couldn't really use it as a living room, it was like an open bedroom and there was no where to walk. Really trashy of them in my opinion. They were my husbands relations and he asked me not to make a big deal out of it. The parents haven't been invited back. PS I paid for everything and I mean everything on that trip. So that was the end of Mrs. Nice guy. I would never take people older than my age, friend or family, without clear expectations. I am not asking for much, a few dinners or excursions would be appreciated since I am housing you for a week in paradise.

Their son has come with on vacations since then (he is now 25+) and my child (21) and her friends or boyfriend come frequently too. Since they are all adults and they all work I insist they have a stake in it. They pay their own airfare and I ask that they each pay for one dinner for everyone and I pick up the rest for the week (usually the most expensive ones, naturally). I pay for the excursions I plan but any extra stuff like drinking in the evenings, or windsurfing, tours or whatever else they want to do on their own without the old folks, they pay. It's still a good deal for them because they get free room and board basically. They couldn't afford to go without me, so they love it. They want to know where we're going to go next when we are at the airport flying home.

Last edited:

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
It depends on who it is.

There is a couple we travel with to Vegas who also own a timeshare. They understand there is a cost with timeshares, since they have their own, so they offer to pay for our tickets to shows (as a foursome we usually do 2 or 3 shows in a week) which usually exceeds $500. This is fair enough to me and then we split dinners down the middle, and pay our own way for any daytime excursions.

I have taken family in the past (middle aged adults) who completely abused the privilege and were even borderline ungrateful. The last straw was when the parents (of a family of 4) took their luggage into the second bedroom and immediately threw the second queen sized mattress from the bedroom for their teenage kids to sleep on in THE LIVING ROOM. So I had to deal with their kids taking over the living area and we couldn't really use it as a living room, it was like an open bedroom and there was no where to walk. Really trashy of them in my opinion. They were my husbands relations and he asked me not to make a big deal out of it. The parents haven't been invited back. PS I paid for everything and I mean everything on that trip. So that was the end of Mrs. Nice guy. I would never take people older than my age, friend or family, without clear expectations. I am not asking for much, a few dinners or excursions would be appreciated since I am housing you for a week in paradise.

Their son has come with on vacations since then (he is now 25+) and my child (21) and her friends or boyfriend come frequently too. Since they are all adults and they all work I insist they have a stake in it. They pay their own airfare and I ask that they each pay for one dinner for everyone and I pick up the rest for the week (usually the most expensive ones, naturally). I pay for the excursions I plan but any extra stuff like drinking in the evenings, or windsurfing, tours or whatever else they want to do on their own without the old folks, they pay. It's still a good deal for them because they get free room and board basically. They couldn't afford to go without me, so they love it. They want to know where we're going to go next when we are at the airport flying home.

This is close to my experience as well, as it relates to family members from my wife side...