• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Combining RCI deposits [As of 9/17/16, Travel Window reduced to 12 months]

levatino

TUG Member
Reaction score
OK I have a question. Can I only combine TPU units once? Or can I continue to combine old units (that were combined previously) with newer deposits and keep the TPU moving forward?

Thank you!

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Since the combine inception, there has been no limits as long as you have still have something to combine it with. I always thought that this might not last forever but so far it has.

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's a great income stream for RCI. :p

I just did this again the other day (re-upped one that had been combined before). I just hate to lose TPUs, so I keep feeding the meter until I finally get the TPUs used.

sandkastle4966

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I combine once a year and just keep rolling them forward ! Combine all my little ones into something useable. I usually create one large new deposit. Last year I decided to create 2.

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Quarter House, a handful of East Coast beach resorts
Just saw the notice on RCI.com... As of September 17, combined deposits are only good for 12 months from the date combined. Today you get 24 months for combined deposits. I don't see anything about the price to combine also being cut in half.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Just saw the notice on RCI.com... As of September 17, combined deposits are only good for 12 months from the date combined. Today you get 24 months for combined deposits. I don't see anything about the price to combine also being cut in half.

Thanks so much for posting this. I hadn't noticed this. I have been waiting to combine so that the expiration coincided with my membership expiration in Oct. 2018. I'll be waiting a few more weeks to combine before they change the rules, then I'm letting RCI go.

Egret1986

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, thank you for posting this and thank you to the OP for the "combine" thread.

I probably would not have noticed that little blurb on RCI.

I guess I'll do a combine before the September 17 change.

RCI - Always looking for ways to reduce benefits and charge more for the "privilege" of being a member.

I'm working on what I need to do to get this monkey off my back.

scootr5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Wyndham (points and Avenue Plaza Mardi Gras week)

cerralee

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
:crash: So much for saving them for retirement and a couple of big trips.

Last edited:

DaveHenry

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
RCI reducing the length of time for combined combined deposits

Hidden on the RCI website is this announcement:
"Please note: As of September 17th, the travel window for Combined Deposits will be 12 months from the date of the combine."

This is a major drop in the value of combining. Up until now, combined deposits have been valid for 24 months. This will particularly make combined deposits hard to use for ongoing searches, where you need to be in the queue for a while to gain priority.

Although RCI cut the value of combining drastically, they haven't announced a price reduction.

Another reason to give other exchange companies your business.

Last edited by a moderator:

DaveHenry

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks! I was about to deposit in RCI.

Thanks for posting this! I was about to deposit a unit into RCI, but this convinced me to deposit it into SFX instead.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
And another reason TUG gets a 'black eye' .... we let others know of their "improvements" or other tricks.

So basicly, RCI has doubled the combining fee and ruined the ongoing search for anything MORE than 12 months out.

mandalyn328

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Quarter House - NOLA
Lahaina Inn Resort - Ft. Myers Beach, FL
Well that just stinks! Do you think if you combine before the Sept date you will get the 24 months?

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
This is terrible. RCI often has a 18-12 month lead time on their inventory.
And it's not like combining is cheap. It has gone up nearly every year $99, $109, $119...on top of the $219 (which also continues to climb nearly every year).

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
This is terrible. RCI often has a 18-12 month lead time on their inventory.
And it's not like combining is cheap. It has gone up nearly every year $99, $109, $119...on top of the $219 (which also continues to climb nearly every year).

Exactly. I'll be happy to vote with my feet.

I have a pretty long fuse but for whatever reason, this was the last straw. Almost all of my units are dual affiliated (and despite their changes, I still prefer Interval) so I will either use II or one of the independents.

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Quarter House, a handful of East Coast beach resorts
I like my RCI Points account and have considered the weeks account a bonus. I've been using the weeks account for my Massanutten lockoff, which gets more TPU when deposited as 2 units and then combined. I will do that one last time in the next couple weeks.

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
oh boy this really changes my plans

Hophop4

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV/Silverleaf Owners-Holiday Hills, Branson; Seaside, Galveston;
Landmark Holiday Beach Resort, PCB, FL
Thanks for this info. I was planning to combine in October but now I guess will have to do it in September.

I just noticed on RCI if you have a deposit that is expiring you can extend it for 12 months for the cost of $119. Which is what I have TPUs expiring in October. I think I am better off combining with one of my other deposits (exp Mar 2019) for the same cost in September but it will knock that other deposit down 6 months. (exp Sept 2018)

Last edited:

bellesgirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Pretty stupid on RCIs part. Now I will not bother to combine those bits and pieces, so RCI loses the combine fee. And without those bits and pieces combined, there's no little extra vacation so no exchange fee for RCI. I have already decided I'm not renewing my Platinum, because they ruined it, so that's another fee they won't get. They lost $119+$219+$69 =$407. And I am just one person.

gmarine

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
This definitely takes away some value of combining and of depositing with RCI.

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Definitely a poor decision on RCI's part.
In fact, not that it will do any good, I'm going to write to them.

Just finished a survey a week or two ago from them and was complaining then about how they nickle & dime for everything and their value isn't going up in parallel.

Yes, Platinum isn't worth it anymore either. They changed it right after I committed to a 'special' 3-year sign-up fee. :annoyed:

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
A 12 month point life on RCI is almost worthless.
You can no longer set up ongoing searches 2 years - 12 months out.

Why do these companies continue to screw the people who keep them in business?...

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
At the very, very least it should be 12 months from today's date or the current expiration date of the deposit with the nearest expiration date from today, whichever is greater. Under the new rule this means that if I have two 2017 deposits that I want to combine that have expiration dates of Jan 2019 and July 2019, If I combine them in October I would then have an expiration date of October 2017.

If you have high deposits that don't need to be combined, you may have an advantage getting 12+ month inventory. It is also going to help those that search with points (RCI points, Hilton, Wyndham, etc) who will be able to start the searches early without actually tying up anything for 1-2 years.