• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Combining RCI deposits [As of 9/17/16, Travel Window reduced to 12 months]

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
No. In order to combine, your points can't be associated with an ongoing search. You would have to cancel the search and then start a new one which could go no further than 12 months out. The only way to have a search beyond 12 months is to use a deposit as is that has an expiration more than 12 months out, use RCI points or a points portal that don't actually take the points until a match is made, or to pay to combine and then immediately pay to extend and then start an ongoing search.

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Definitely a poor decision on RCI's part.
In fact, not that it will do any good, I'm going to write to them.

Just finished a survey a week or two ago from them and was complaining then about how they nickle & dime for everything and their value isn't going up in parallel.

Yes, Platinum isn't worth it anymore either. They changed it right after I committed to a 'special' 3-year sign-up fee. :annoyed:

No reply from RCI since my note ~2 weeks ago. You'd think they'd at least reply with a standard, milk toast message, such as, "Thanks for your feedback. We've forwarded your comments to our management, blah, blah, blah." Not even that. Not really a surprise.

lgreenspan

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
My guess is that within the next year or two they will announce a second tier combine with a 2 year extension for $219. Or they add the 2yr combine as a feature to Platinum. Either way they get more money without offering anything new.

ran-ran

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Great idea!

My guess is that within the next year or two they will announce a second tier combine with a 2 year extension for $219. Or they add the 2yr combine as a feature to Platinum. Either way they get more money without offering anything new.

That would be an acceptable compromise to allow Platinum members receive a 2 year extension but then RCI is not known for fair compromises.
With that plan, RCI would collect annual combining fees from non-platinum members and then be able to encourage new members or at least keep them as platinum members.

Pat H

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Brigantine
I will have to reevaluate this timeshare business after 28 years. I already rent out one week. Have a second one that gets me good tpu's but I know I can rent for more than the mf's. That just leaves my Mayan Palace which has 5 yrs left on the contract. TPU's aren't bad but mf's are getting too high. Hmm, what to do?

funtime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just did a jumbo combine deal and got 24 months

I had four weeks expiring. I did one combination deal and got 2 years for the entire new jumbo "week". You still use however many tpu's you need and they give you the balance back to your account. I saved a bundle on extension fees.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Trying to Combine online with no success

After reading this thread, and knowing I've got some bits and pieces I've been intending to combine, decided to go online tonight to do it. First time I received the following message -- figured I hit a wrong key and started over.

WPCB-XXXX-W-100045 : Your session has timed out. For security purposes, please login again. You were not charged for your attempt to add a guest certificate

= = =
Tried it again to no avail, and now several hours later I receive the same message, after getting to the 'end' of the steps where you are to click on the combine button.

Anyone been successful in completing a Combine transaction online today?

= = =

In the notation it said the weeks combined would have an expiration date of Sept 2018.

Last edited:

mtforeman

TUG Member
Reaction score
RCI to change combined deposits exchange window

SIGH. Well, I'm looking for 2018 now while I can.

Last edited:

maggie

TUG Member
Reaction score
I combined my deposits today without any problems ahead of the Sept 17th change in use period. I am pretty sure I would have missed that little notice of the change on RCI's website so once again, Thanks, TUG!

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
it spoiled my plans, but I combined my Nov, Dec, and Jan weeks, had to cancel an ongoing search in order to do so. so I am left with two large combined deposits, which I will recombine in March of 2018 for the last time. I have about 120 tpus, and when they are gone or time runs out, that is it.

STEVIE

TUG Member
Reaction score
sorry but I'm still confused.
In my case I have TPU"s that were combined last year.
If I deposit and combine this years TPU's with the ones I already have, will I lose the ones I have or will the new deposit combined with last years points be good for another year? Then if I don't use them and want to deposit next years points and combine with all the ones I have can I do that for an additional fee and have all of them to use the next year?
I am trying to save for a big family vacation in 2018.
Sorry this is long winded, but like I said I am confused.
Thanks, Sue

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Whatever you combine today will be the total points and they would have an expiration date of two years from today's date. Same tomorrow and Friday. If you combine deposits/credits on or after 9/17/16, the expiration for the combined deposits would be one year from the date you combine date.

You can not combine deposit/credits associated with an ongoing search. You would have to cancel the search first.

You can not combine a deposit that hasn't been verified. So if you deposit to day you might want to call your resort to see if they can expedite the verification process because for me it usually takes about 3 days but can take up to 10.

I am getting a few credits for paying my MF early from Massanutten and just have my fingers crossed that it will be done by tomorrow so I can take advantage of the old 2 year window.

STEVIE

TUG Member
Reaction score
So, I am able to keep combining every year, as long as I pay the fee, and not lose any points?
Sue

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
There is currently no restrictions to recombining multiple times over several months or years as long as you have something to combine the previous deposit with. In all likelihood you will lose time on the new deposit which would have been good for 2 years from check in and that will be reduced to one year from the combine date.

STEVIE

TUG Member
Reaction score
One more question.
If I deposit into RCI, the TPU's will still be good for 2 years.
Can I combine the deposit with my existing points after the first year, or do I have to do it right after I make the deposit?
Also, is there a time when you would have to extend the points, or is that anytime before they expire.
Thanks for all your help, Sue

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Your uncombined deposit will still be good for 2 years from check in date.

You can combine and/or extend anytime before the credits expire. And it is currently the end of the month of the deposit or the combine or extend.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You are welcome. The only good thing I can say about this change is unlike II's recent introduction of the upgrade fee to exchange into a larger unit, at least RCI gave a little notice to give time to understand the new rule and get our ducks in order under the old rules if possible.

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Bumping: Only one more day!

Be sure to combine by tomorrow (9/16) if you want to beat RCI's new combine limitation, which only allows a 1-year extension (vs. 2 years) for each combine.

judell

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have 9200 HGVC points that died as of Dec 31. My option is to let them die or port them to RCI...at a price.
The last time I did this a few years ago I found it a waste of time and money as nothing was available and there was an additional fee for booking. Is this still the case or should I let them die?

mrsmusic

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have 9200 HGVC points that died as of Dec 31. My option is to let them die or port them to RCI...at a price.
The last time I did this a few years ago I found it a waste of time and money as nothing was available and there was an additional fee for booking. Is this still the case or should I let them die?

That's a lot of HGVC points and they will be good in RCI for two years. The "combine TPU's" issue doesn't apply to HGVC points at all.

I have used HGVC points in RCI to book other HGVC units, fairly easily. The trick is to do an ongoing search early. HGVC does bulk deposits early in the year, such as March or April, for the next year - example, in March of 2016, they did a bulk deposit for Summer of 2017.

flybefree

TUG Member
Reaction score
I didn't find out about this until just a couple of weeks ago, that RCI was dropping it from 24 to 12 months. I only found out when logging in to check some info on an upcoming reservation I have in the weeks system (I usually search for stuff in my points membership because it's usually cheaper through them and I have so many points). I'm a platinum member and there's no bonus there for us; we still only get 12 months now.

I own two weeks at the same resort, one an annual in points and the other an EOY odd in weeks. I'd been planning to wait until July 2017 to combine all four deposits (I own a lock-off) to have one fat deposit that was good through July 2019. If I were to do that now, I'd lose a full year of my 2017 deposit. Complete BS. I'd have to pay again to extend it. I have 6 TPU and 2 TPU from my 2015 deposit and the cost to combine them is the same cost as what they're worth.

Given that RCI keeps reducing the trading power of my resort in the weeks system (no reduction in points), and now they're further sticking it to us, I'm going to either unload the weeks one or look at trading into SFX. I know nothing about that network so I need to research it. But this is seriously pissing me off. We should have gotten emails with a heads-up. RCI is out of control. I bought both my weeks specifically to exchange. Not cool.

Pat H

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Brigantine
The reduction from 2 yrs to 1 was the last straw for me. I have gotten rid of all but 1 of my timeshares and that one I rent out every year. I no longer see a value to RCI with their exorbitant exchange, combo, extension and guest fees.

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
The reduction from 2 yrs to 1 was the last straw for me. I have gotten rid of all but 1 of my timeshares and that one I rent out every year. I no longer see a value to RCI with their exorbitant exchange, combo, extension and guest fees.
Don't forget to call them and request a refund after you use your last few TPUs.