• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 31 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 31st Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Certified Exit Backed by Wyndham

pstonerAZ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Paniolo Greens
Spent 30 minutes talking to Wyndham today and as of last Friday (July 19, 2024), they no longer will take back deeded properties from Shell owners. They are trying to get me to convert to points (supposedly for free), yet I'm not clear if there is an advantage to doing so. Is my only option to cancel or give back my Paniolo Greens week to sell? I just want to give it up and don't care if I get payment. I certainly don't want to pay a scammer to "sell" it. Thoughts or advice?

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
well thats disappointing to hear.

have you offered it up for free on the resale market to see if someone would take it off your hands?

no reason to pay anyone to "sell it" as the chances are you will have to give it away.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Spent 30 minutes talking to Wyndham today and as of last Friday (July 19, 2024), they no longer will take back deeded properties from Shell owners. They are trying to get me to convert to points (supposedly for free), yet I'm not clear if there is an advantage to doing so. Is my only option to cancel or give back my Paniolo Greens week to sell? I just want to give it up and don't care if I get payment. I certainly don't want to pay a scammer to "sell" it. Thoughts or advice?
Did you talk to their Certified Exit department? I don't think they would be pushing you to convert anything. They would just be giving you a yes or no as to if they accept.

jp10558

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Seaworld
Wyndham Smoky Mountains
Foxrun Lake Lure
But I would try listing it in the free timeshares forum here. Might as well give someone a chance if it meets their needs...

pstonerAZ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Paniolo Greens
Yes! They suggested converting to points and when I called back, I was told they still wouldn't do the "free exit" even if it was points, because it was a Shell property.

thanks for your answer!
Did you talk to their Certified Exit department? I don't think they would be pushing you to convert anything. They would just be giving you a yes or no as to if they accept.

pstonerAZ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Paniolo Greens
I will definitely try posting it for free! Thank you.
well thats disappointing to hear.

have you offered it up for free on the resale market to see if someone would take it off your hands?

no reason to pay anyone to "sell it" as the chances are you will have to give it away.I

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
After 40+ years of T/S ownership, I am no longer "an owner"
What are the MFs these days at Paniolo Greens? It is one of my favorite timeshares, anywhere!

JoannaAdler

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Paniolo Greens
Sorry for the delayed response! The maintenance fee's were $1,200 in December 2023.
I spoke with the exit team at Shell/Wyndham today and as a deeded owner owner, they told me I had three options - transfer to a relative, sell via one of their "approved resellers," or convert to points.

Years ago I looked at the ramifications of converting & it didn't make sense. Maintenance fees would be more expensive (!), availability at desirable resorts equal to PG was an issue, & the points they were offering in order to convert would get me a 1BR in Orlando during off-peak seasons. Makes no sense.

I have no relatives in a financial situation to afford the timeshare, much less flights to Hawaii.

Resellers want money up front plus a minimum commission.

I'm curious if you've been able to divest since posting originally.

pstonerAZ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Paniolo Greens
I spoke with the exit team at Shell/Wyndham today and as a deeded owner owner, they told me I had three options - transfer to a relative, sell via one of their "approved resellers," or convert to points.

Years ago I looked at the ramifications of converting & it didn't make sense. Maintenance fees would be more expensive (!), availability at desirable resorts equal to PG was an issue, & the points they were offering in order to convert would get me a 1BR in Orlando during off-peak seasons. Makes no sense.

I have no relatives in a financial situation to afford the timeshare, much less flights to Hawaii.

Resellers want money up front plus a minimum commission.

I'm curious if you've been able to divest since posting originally.
Hi Joanna,
We have not been able to divest so far, but am still trying. And, we are not converting to points (free or not).

I posted an ad on TUG to give away for free, but have not gotten one inquiry. I spoke to the GM at the resort and he referred me to the Wyndham certified exit program. He was unaware of any changes and was going to let me know if he could find anything out. But, nothing so far.

Seems like the only viable option is to stop paying maintenance fees and let them foreclose. You'd think they'd want to avoid that (as do I) but if they won't do a deed back, that's what may happen.

I'm still trying to figure out who to contact: Shell vs Resort vs Wyndham. No one I've contacted seems to know who would be able to authorize a surrender or deed back. My close friend is a real estate lawyer so my next step is to get her involved.

Good luck!!

JoannaAdler

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Paniolo Greens
Sorry to hear you haven't had any luck. I hate to ruin my credit rating in order to get rid of this. I'm sure they'd let it go for years and rack up all sorts of fees before actually foreclosure. I might resort to using a site like Red Week and just paying several thousand dollars to get rid of it. $125 listing, $899 commission, and transfer fees. If it could even go for a $1 on that site.

I just want Wyndham out of my life already. It's a time & emotional suck hole.

pstonerAZ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Paniolo Greens
What I've read is that some exit companies, effectively just do the same thing as I'm contemplating. Make sure the title transfers to them! Good luck.

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Sorry to hear you haven't had any luck. I hate to ruin my credit rating in order to get rid of this. I'm sure they'd let it go for years and rack up all sorts of fees before actually foreclosure. I might resort to using a site like Red Week and just paying several thousand dollars to get rid of it. $125 listing, $899 commission, and transfer fees. If it could even go for a $1 on that site.

Redweek can get more eyes on your listings, but that doesn't necessarily guaranty a sale. Their broker full service program may not work any better than paying for a cheap DIY listing. The best thing to do is list it in as many places as possible. Free in the TUG Marketplace (for members), Redweek, the Free Timeshares forum on TUG and even Facebook Groups for the resort and Shell.

Whatever you do, don't pay an exit company that promises to get you out of the timeshare a bunch of money. They will just have you default and go through foreclosure anyway. Something you can do for free yourself. Timeshare Exit companies are a waste of money (generally considered a scam).

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
I posted an ad on TUG to give away for free
I looked at your posting history. I don't think you've posted on the "Give-away" forum, which will reach a broader audience. @JoannaAdler might try this as well.

Before posting, take a look at this very helpful post:

My ex stayed at Paniolo a few years ago. It might not be her favorite Big Island resort, but she liked it just fine--it is an easy drive down the hill to the Waikoloa resort area and nearby beaches, and Waimea is easy striking distance as well. More importantly, maintenance fees there are VERY reasonable for Hawaii. I can imagine someone on a bit of a budget using it for regular trips to the Big Island.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score

youd find more success in spending that money as an incentive to the buyer IMO.

pstonerAZ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Paniolo Greens
I looked at your posting history. I don't think you've posted on the "Give-away" forum, which will reach a broader audience. @JoannaAdler might try this as well.

Before posting, take a look at this very helpful post:

My ex stayed at Paniolo a few years ago. It might not be her favorite Big Island resort, but she liked it just fine--it is an easy drive down the hill to the Waikoloa resort area and nearby beaches, and Waimea is easy striking distance as well. More importantly, maintenance fees there are VERY reasonable for Hawaii. I can imagine someone on a bit of a budget using it for regular trips to the Big Island.
Thanks! I posted somewhere for $1 and thought it posted in all spots. I'll make sure to get it on the Give-Away forum :)

MLR

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Our circumstances changed dramatically! I knew I could no longer afford the MF's on our two Paniolo Greens Big Island timeshares and due to the type of circumstance, I knew I would probably never go back to our beloved Paniolo Greens. So, I found info on TUG about the Wyndham Deed-back program. I contacted Wyndham Exit and they were very kind and helpful and I was able to give back both of our TS's with absolutely no cost to me. I will miss Hawaii, so many memories from our many trips ... but it would not be the same now. So very grateful for the deed back program. I called in June and it was all taken care of in approximately 3 months. Thank you Wyndham.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Our circumstances changed dramatically! I knew I could no longer afford the MF's on our two Paniolo Greens Big Island timeshares and due to the type of circumstance, I knew I would probably never go back to our beloved Paniolo Greens. So, I found info on TUG about the Wyndham Deed-back program. I contacted Wyndham Exit and they were very kind and helpful and I was able to give back both of our TS's with absolutely no cost to me. I will miss Hawaii, so many memories from our many trips ... but it would not be the same now. So very grateful for the deed back program. I called in June and it was all taken care of in approximately 3 months. Thank you Wyndham.
I think you were lucky because by the end of August this year, they stopped taking back deeded and converted fixed weeks, at least for now.

• Wow
Reactions: MLR