• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Cancun in 2 weeks... Cancel or chance it?

Ianneyan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and Vistana
Hubby and I are scheduled to go to Cancun and will be staying at the Lagunamar resort in about 2 weeks. He thinks that we should cancel due to concerns that we don’t know what will happen in the next 2-3 weeks with the coronavirus. Media is hyping this thing up and just causing a frenzy! We are 2 pretty healthy individuals, so while we don’t want to get sick on vacay, we are most concerned with the possibility of travel restrictions or quarantines being imposed in Mexico while we are there. We have children and jobs that we need to come back to!

We can’t change the airline tickets, but if I understand Vistana’s policy, we can cancel within the 7 day window for just a $75 cancellation fee and points restricted to use within a 60 day reservation window. I am watching the CDC’s travel recommendations, and so far Mexico isn’t on their radar. I am aware that they are probably not being forthright with info and in all likelihood, very little testing is being done.

I convinced my hubby to wait at least until this weekend to decide, putting us at a week out, but I am thinking about waiting until later next week with just a couple days before travel to decide. If no travel restrictions are noted between U.S. and Mexico, particularly between the airports we are traveling, I am more than likely going to try to convince hubby that we should go and just play it safe while we’re there!

Just curious what you are doing if you are in a similar situation, or what would you do if you were?

Last edited:

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Hubby and I are scheduled to go to Cancun and will be staying at the Lagunamar resort in about 2 weeks. He think that we should cancel due to concerns that we don’t know what will happen in the next 2-3 weeks with the coronavirus. Media is hyping this thing up and just causing a frenzy! We are 2 pretty healthy individuals, so while we of course don’t want to get sick on vacay, we are most concerned with the possibility of travel restrictions or quarantines being imposed in Mexico while we are there. We have children and jobs that we need to come back to!

We can’t change the airline tickets, but if I understand Vistana’s policy, we can cancel within the 7 day window for just a $75 cancellation fee and points restricted to use within a 60 day reservation window. I am watching the CDC’s travel recommendations, and so far Mexico isn’t on their radar. I am aware that they are probably not being forthright with info and in all likelihood, very little testing is being done.

I convinced my hubby to wait at least until this weekend to decide, putting us at a week out, but I am thinking about waiting until later next week with just a couple days before travel to decide. If no travel restrictions are noted between U.S. and Mexico, particularly between the airports we are traveling, I am more than likely going to try to convince hubby that we should go and just play it safe while we’re there!

Just curious what you are doing if you are in a similar situation, or what would you do if you were?
I’m going to harborside at Atlantis on the 22nd. While I’m not worried, one thing That concerns me about going is catching it before I leave and having symptoms show up while on vacation then not being allowed back in the states. I think it’s fine, but with the hype, you may not be let back into the country if you catch it. Do you want to be stuck in Mexico? Change to the Bahamas lol OR go and have a great vacation.

Last edited:

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
Keep your existing plans. We’re in a similar situation in that we’re headed to SVV in 12 days - and crossing an international border in the process. I have no hesitation in going even though Florida seems to have a few cases popping up. That said we won’t be going to the mouse house while we’re there.

goaliedave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree, Diamond (bought by Hilton), Shell (bought by Wyndham), Sheraton (bought by Marriott), Palace Resorts, a few independants
I agree your husband should live life scared of what might happen.

Sent from my SM-A505G using Tapatalk

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Go for it. Have a great time.

CaliSunshine

Reaction score
You have to make a decision based on your own health and age and risk. Overall probabilities are still small for getting the virus but I can’t say with 100% certainty you will be OK.

MommaBear

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We are headed to Lagunamar today. I'm not worried, there won't be large crowds congregating in small areas. There are very few cases in Mexico. The biggest risk is the flight, I have Lysol wipes, bacterial hand sanitizer and zinc tablets. I'll post if there are any issues.

SVOForever

TUG Member
Reaction score
In somewhat similar situation - started a different thread to address whether Vistana would waive the restriction on the 60 day Staroptions and/or banking the Options. Still have the plan to go but just trying to get ahead of the curve. Just finished domestic business travel - by my estimate airport was still fairly crowded, and the planes ... well, everyone is wiping it down but my flight was sold out.

LMD

TUG Member
Reaction score
I’m going to harborside at Atlantis on the 22nd. While I’m not worried, one thing That concerns me about going is catching it before I leave and having symptoms show up while on vacation then not being allowed back in the states. I think it’s fine, but with the hype, you may not be let back into the country if you catch it. Do you want to be stuck in Mexico? Change to the Bahamas lol OR go and have a great vacation.
I agree. I would not want to have to be stuck in a foreign hospital or not allowed to return back to the US due to symptoms. Even the flu comes on suddenly and during the contagious period you would not or should not be able to board a plane to return home.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
In somewhat similar situation - started a different thread to address whether Vistana would waive the restriction on the 60 day Staroptions and/or banking the Options. Still have the plan to go but just trying to get ahead of the curve. Just finished domestic business travel - by my estimate airport was still fairly crowded, and the planes ... well, everyone is wiping it down but my flight was sold out.
I called a week ago and asked they said if I was going to an affected area they would most likely have protocols in place. Right now nothing.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
Lagunamar has a house Doctor on duty - look for his office on the ground floor by the lobby elevator. We needed him last time we were there due to a parasite my wife got from a roasted chicken. People get sick there often enough to justify the doctor.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hubby and I are scheduled to go to Cancun and will be staying at the Lagunamar resort in about 2 weeks. He thinks that we should cancel due to concerns that we don’t know what will happen in the next 2-3 weeks with the coronavirus. Media is hyping this thing up and just causing a frenzy! We are 2 pretty healthy individuals, so while we don’t want to get sick on vacay, we are most concerned with the possibility of travel restrictions or quarantines being imposed in Mexico while we are there. We have children and jobs that we need to come back to!

I am writing to you from Lagunamar. We are leaving soon but if I could we would extend our stay. I did not see any sick people at the resort or ouside. A lot more people caughing back at home when we left (normal seasonaly). If you want to minimize contact with others go to Soriana and buy food/ drinks for the week.

Last edited:

mindy35

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are scheduled for WSJ in 2 weeks.

My concern (and why I am considering canceling), is not that we will catch the virus. I even see it as an opportunity to have the entire beach to ourselves???

But, SO much has changed in just 1 week........who is to say what it will look like 2 weeks from now?

#1 I am concerned about the disruption of the airlines and the possibility of flight cancellations. With many flights being 1/2 full, there's a pretty good chance any or all of our flights being canceled at any point of our journey. You really have to ask yourself if you are prepared to be stuck somewhere (anywhere along your route) because of canceled flights and closure of facilities.
Do you think even the healthy people on that cruise ship were prepared for being away from home for as long as they have been? Would they have avoided that trip if they had they knew what the future held for them?

For ex., UAL, with a new rule they just quietly sneaked in this weekend, is no longer promising they will re-imburse you if they change your itinerary and they cannot get you to your destination within 2 hours of your original plan. Talk about missing connections!!! Now they have given themselves 25 hours leway.

#2 You really need to be able to trust the local authorities where ever you will be to know what and then be able to ....do the right thing should there be an outbreak in the region where you will be? Just look around the world how mixed up the responses have been! No one really knows what the best way is to handle this mess!

So..........it's not really if WE will be OK concerning getting sick it's more about what organizations beyond our control (including Airlines, government officials, etc.) will do. I just think it's going to get better before it gets worse.

Lastly, I have been on hold on the phone trying to contact Vistana, American Express, United, etc. for a total of more than 3 hours today. Everyone is swamped! So if you think you can make this decision and get things fixed "on a dime", you are in for a big surprise.

Best of luck and stay well!

Ianneyan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and Vistana
We are scheduled for WSJ in 2 weeks.

My concern (and why I am considering canceling), is not that we will catch the virus. I even see it as an opportunity to have the entire beach to ourselves???

But, SO much has changed in just 1 week........who is to say what it will look like 2 weeks from now?

#1 I am concerned about the disruption of the airlines and the possibility of flight cancellations. With many flights being 1/2 full, there's a pretty good chance any or all of our flights being canceled at any point of our journey. You really have to ask yourself if you are prepared to be stuck somewhere (anywhere along your route) because of canceled flights and closure of facilities.
Do you think even the healthy people on that cruise ship were prepared for being away from home for as long as they have been? Would they have avoided that trip if they had they knew what the future held for them?

For ex., UAL, with a new rule they just quietly sneaked in this weekend, is no longer promising they will re-imburse you if they change your itinerary and they cannot get you to your destination within 2 hours of your original plan. Talk about missing connections!!! Now they have given themselves 25 hours leway.

#2 You really need to be able to trust the local authorities where ever you will be to know what and then be able to ....do the right thing should there be an outbreak in the region where you will be? Just look around the world how mixed up the responses have been! No one really knows what the best way is to handle this mess!

So..........it's not really if WE will be OK concerning getting sick it's more about what organizations beyond our control (including Airlines, government officials, etc.) will do. I just think it's going to get better before it gets worse.

Lastly, I have been on hold on the phone trying to contact Vistana, American Express, United, etc. for a total of more than 3 hours today. Everyone is swamped! So if you think you can make this decision and get things fixed "on a dime", you are in for a big surprise.

Best of luck and stay well!
Same! These are all of the things we are considering. We are more worried about the mass pandemonium the media is causing and the trickle down effects, some of which you have mentioned.

If we didn’t need to worry about coming back home to our kiddos, we’d have less to worry about. They are in good hands with my retired mom-in-law, but it’ll be inconvenient for her to have to take them to school and all of their extracurricular activities. And of course, we have jobs we need to get back to. Will need to make a decision here soon! Unfortunately, I think that we are leaning towards cancellation.

TARIE7291

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC OKW, Westin Lagunamar

I am in the same situation as you. We are scheduled to arrive in Cancun next weekend. A lot cannot happen this and next week. Yes we may be safer in Mexico than at home in US right now with the numbers continuing to grow and it’s only the beginning. I’m just concerned something could go awry in the US while in Mexico and have issues getting back home. Part of me wants to go and the other part is saying it’s not worth it. I would think Vistana would be lenient with our Staroptions and cancellation policy this is a world wide catastrophe.

Ianneyan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and Vistana
Have y
I am in the same situation as you. We are scheduled to arrive in Cancun next weekend. A lot cannot happen this and next week. Yes we may be safer in Mexico than at home in US right now with the numbers continuing to grow and it’s only the beginning. I’m just concerned something could go awry in the US while in Mexico and have issues getting back home. Part of me wants to go and the other part is saying it’s not worth it. I would think Vistana would be lenient with our Staroptions and cancellation policy this is a world wide catastrophe.
I tried to call them to see if they would have some leniency amidst this situation - at least lift the restrictions on the SOs. Was just a few min before end of their business day, so I was on hold with no answer. There aren’t any travel restrictions in Mexico so I doubt it. If you get a hold of someone, can you post their response? I will do the same.

Ianneyan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and Vistana
Decided to cancel and use the restricted options for Kierland. At least we can drive there and not worry about getting stuck in another country or flight restrictions.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Decided to cancel and use the restricted options for Kierland. At least we can drive there and not worry about getting stuck in another country or flight restrictions.
If you call they are waving the restrictions

jordathyspg

Reaction score
If you call they are waving the restrictions
So staroptions can be used to book at 8 months out (instead of 60 days) and can alternatively be banned by June 30?

Are they waiving the $75 fee as well?

We are supposed to be going to Kierland on a home reservation this weekend from Canada and are weighing our options.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
So staroptions can be used to book at 8 months out (instead of 60 days) and can alternatively be banned by June 30?

Are they waiving the $75 fee as well?

We are supposed to be going to Kierland on a home reservation this weekend from Canada and are weighing our options.
I didn’t hear about June 30th. They did say they were waiving restrictions but they were charging cancellation fees.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV

MommaBear

TUG Member
Reaction score
Westin Lagunamar is fine, there are oy 8 cases in Mexico. The bigger risk is flying.