• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Canadian border will remain closed.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am looking at the budget, on our way to 381 billion dollars in deficit because of Covid. Then you have the provincial deficits. Actually not because of Covid but rather because of the response to Covid.

moonstone

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
Yesterday they officially extended the ban on international travellers to January 21st, 2021. That closure had previously expired on the 30th of the month. They are now aligning the timing of the two. When the current US/Canada border closure expires on December 21st, they are basically indicating it will be renewed again to January 21st.

From that point on, both bans can be handled as one announcement, rather than two separate announcements. I don't think anyone is realistically expecting the border closures to be lifted before the middle of 2021. Perhaps as late as the end of the summer. The real issue here, as a smaller country, is that we could easily be swamped by tourists if the borders were fully opened. A million Americans, for example, coming to Canada, has a much bigger impact than a million Canadians entering the USA.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yesterday they officially extended the ban on international travellers to January 21st, 2021. That closure had previously expired on the 30th of the month. They are now aligning the timing of the two. When the current US/Canada border closure expires on December 21st, they are basically indicating it will be renewed again to January 21st.

From that point on, both bans can be handled as one announcement, rather than two separate announcements. I don't think anyone is realistically expecting the border closures to be lifted before the middle of 2021. Perhaps as late as the end of the summer. The real issue here, as a smaller country, is that we could easily be swamped by tourists if the borders were fully opened. A million Americans, for example, coming to Canada, has a much bigger impact than a million Canadians entering the USA.
Clearly we favor our own Covid as we should. Why would we get infected with theirs when we have the very best quality here ;)?

bbakernbay

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We have had timeshares for over 30 years which totalled 7 weeks just 3 years ago. We are now down to one and that one looks like it will be gone next year as well.
Our 4 consecutive weeks at Lago Vista at BVL was terrific for nearly 30 years but bad management resulted in a very high proportion of non-paying owners which resulted in substantial increase in MFees and we walked away and it is no longer a timeshare, just 50 units rented to Florida residents. We were disappointed but had a great run there.

We bought an eBay resale at Fairfield Glade in TN and it was a beautiful unit but MFees got to be too high and we deeded it back using their Ovation program.

We had another Kissimmee points timeshare that we unfortunately bought in a sales presentation but utilized the points for exchanges. I recently told them we would deed it back but we are not going to pay any transfer fees or one month of MFees to get out. They advised they will then start foreclosure paper working and that is fine.

Six now gone and one to go.

Our Palm Beach timeshare week which we bought on eBay for $1.00 was terrific and we enjoyed about 10 great years there every November. The 40 year sunset is January 1st, 2021 and the AGM voted to not continue the timeshare so it will likely be sold which is fine with us So all 7 will be gone very soon.

We have about 60,000 points to use up on exchange which may be used up at Collingwood or somewhere else in Ontario as we doubt whether we will ever travel to US again, certainly not in next 2 years.

RCI is way too expensive for exchanging although their Extra Vacations are good value. Look forward to not paying RCI fees anymore.

We did a lot of exchanges over last 30 years, Whistler, Oregon, Washington, Laguna Beach, Palm Springs, Maui, massanutten, Myrtle Beach, Halliburton, Collingsood and even the Manhattan Club in NYC and never had a problem in any of them so we were lucky.

Still glad to have them all gone with no hassle.

Best advice was from one of the Managers telling me, “You’re from Canada, they are not able or willing to go after you for walking away”

I think there will be lots of Canadians thinking of relinquishing their timeshares.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have had timeshares for over 30 years which totalled 7 weeks just 3 years ago. We are now down to one and that one looks like it will be gone next year as well.
Our 4 consecutive weeks at Lago Vista at BVL was terrific for nearly 30 years but bad management resulted in a very high proportion of non-paying owners which resulted in substantial increase in MFees and we walked away and it is no longer a timeshare, just 50 units rented to Florida residents. We were disappointed but had a great run there.

We bought an eBay resale at Fairfield Glade in TN and it was a beautiful unit but MFees got to be too high and we deeded it back using their Ovation program.

We had another Kissimmee points timeshare that we unfortunately bought in a sales presentation but utilized the points for exchanges. I recently told them we would deed it back but we are not going to pay any transfer fees or one month of MFees to get out. They advised they will then start foreclosure paper working and that is fine.

Six now gone and one to go.

Our Palm Beach timeshare week which we bought on eBay for $1.00 was terrific and we enjoyed about 10 great years there every November. The 40 year sunset is January 1st, 2021 and the AGM voted to not continue the timeshare so it will likely be sold which is fine with us So all 7 will be gone very soon.

We have about 60,000 points to use up on exchange which may be used up at Collingwood or somewhere else in Ontario as we doubt whether we will ever travel to US again, certainly not in next 2 years.

RCI is way too expensive for exchanging although their Extra Vacations are good value. Look forward to not paying RCI fees anymore.

We did a lot of exchanges over last 30 years, Whistler, Oregon, Washington, Laguna Beach, Palm Springs, Maui, massanutten, Myrtle Beach, Halliburton, Collingsood and even the Manhattan Club in NYC and never had a problem in any of them so we were lucky.

Still glad to have them all gone with no hassle.

Best advice was from one of the Managers telling me, “You’re from Canada, they are not able or willing to go after you for walking away”

I think there will be lots of Canadians thinking of relinquishing their timeshares.
Maybe. But I think there are a lot more Canadians that can't wait to use their timeshares again.

Maple_Leaf

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Dunes
Hapimag
CFR Dec2.JPG

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)

I wonder if this could indicate that the US will not be extending their side of the ban? The US land-border closure date has been negotiated on a monthly basis to coincide with the Canadian ban of US travel. By aligning it this was the Canadian government is effectively going their own way.

Of course I am expecting the new US administration to shut things down on the border. Perhaps even extend it to air travel.

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
I wonder if this could indicate that the US will not be extending their side of the ban? The US land-border closure date has been negotiated on a monthly basis to coincide with the Canadian ban of US travel. By aligning it this was the Canadian government is effectively going their own way.

Of course I am expecting the new US administration to shut things down on the border. Perhaps even extend it to air travel.

I don't think this necessarily means the Canadian government is going its own way. I think they were just trying to make future announcements easier and simpler by having a common date. It also reduces confusion between the two dates for many people.

There are still two decisions to be made. Allowing non-essential international travellers in by air or sea has always been solely at the discretion of the Canadian government. The land border closing with the USA has, at least up until now, always been a joint decision. The current order-in-council for the US border closing runs to December 21st. I assume any decision to extend the land border closing from December 21st to January 21st will also likely be a joint agreement. If so, then all future entry restrictions into Canada will have a common renewal date, but it is easier to make any changes going forward, as it becomes appropriate.

Until the impact of vaccines and/or the case rates reduce significantly on both sides of the border, I suspect the land border will remain closed. There is always the possibility at some point that the US could open the land border to entry from Canada, while Canada keeps it closed to entry from the USA, but I don't think anyone has an accurate crystal ball on the timing of that, if it were to occur.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
I am looking at the budget, on our way to 381 billion dollars in deficit because of Covid. Then you have the provincial deficits. Actually not because of Covid but rather because of the response to Covid.

Funny, maybe in my little circle but I have tons of friends getting CRA Christmas letters telling them of their review, audit, or reassessments. A nice Christmas present. Maybe it’s because of being so cash strapped? Or maybe coincidence. Who knows

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I don't think this necessarily means the Canadian government is going its own way. I think they were just trying to make future announcements easier and simpler by having a common date. It also reduces confusion between the two dates for many people.

There are still two decisions to be made. Allowing non-essential international travellers in by air or sea has always been solely at the discretion of the Canadian government. The land border closing with the USA has, at least up until now, always been a joint decision. The current order-in-council for the US border closing runs to December 21st. I assume any decision to extend the land border closing from December 21st to January 21st will also likely be a joint agreement. If so, then all future entry restrictions into Canada will have a common renewal date, but it is easier to make any changes going forward, as it becomes appropriate.

Until the impact of vaccines and/or the case rates reduce significantly on both sides of the border, I suspect the land border will remain closed. There is always the possibility at some point that the US could open the land border to entry from Canada, while Canada keeps it closed to entry from the USA, but I don't think anyone has an accurate crystal ball on the timing of that, if it were to occur.
I largely agree with you - and I think your second paragraph is spot on. I'll admit that my crystal ball has been smashed so many times, it is essentially powder at this point.

We have to remember that in the original OIC prohibiting entry to by non-Canadians/PRs, Canada provided an exemption for Americans. Whether this was because there are so many dual-nationals who have a right-of-return, or whether they wanted to avoid provoking trade retaliation on the part of "he who shall not be named", I don't know. The Canadian government needed the March 21 "border closure" agreement to both keep Canadians from crossing the border to save $2 on a gallon of milk (semi-enforced quarantine deterrent aside), and from the American tourists coming up to bring the plague with them.

The agreement was there in principle; however, it quickly became apparent that the implementation has been very different because each nation can only control who comes into their respective country. Not who leaves. Canada decided to exclude everyone unless they have a "right of return" or were involved in "essential travel", the US went with a "are you coming from a hotspot" approach.

The Americans never implemented border controls based on citizenship/residency - the presidential proclamations were based on where you had been in the prior 14 days. Originally you couldn't enter the US if you had been to China, HK or Macau within the previous 14 days (narrow exceptions did allow returning citizens and a few others to come in, but they had to go to specific airports and undergo an exam and quarantine). Later Iran, the Shengen (European) countries, the UK and Brazil were added. Again, you could enter the US, as long as you had not had a physical presence in those countries. A Japanese person could fly to the US and be admitted without quarantine.

Canada was never placed on the list of excluded countries, even with the US/Canada border agreement in place. This is the only logical reason to me why the US the "air loophole" exists. If they applied the border agreement to air travel as well, in theory, Canadians would be treated worse than just about every other country (except perhaps North Korea) by virtue of being banned by citizenship.

Given this, I think both countries will eventually go their own way on this, and it makes sense for Canada to adopt a single date that they can just keep renewing. Canada can keep its approach of not allowing any travel except for some narrow exceptions. The US can then adjust its border provisions as they see fit, which may include opening up the land border, or adding Canada to the list of countries travel is not allowed from. I imagine trying to negotiate this each much is pretty time-consuming for both sides.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Funny, maybe in my little circle but I have tons of friends getting CRA Christmas letters telling them of their review, audit, or reassessments. A nice Christmas present. Maybe it’s because of being so cash strapped? Or maybe coincidence. Who knows
Considering all of the other government functions that have pretty much shut-down, I find it perplexing that the CRA is considered an essential service. :doh:

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
Considering all of the other government functions that have pretty much shut-down, I find it perplexing that the CRA is considered an essential service. :doh:

Lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is an essential service and with an additional 381 billion dollars of debt it is becoming even more important (from the point of view of the government) ;)

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
As expected, the government just announced that the US/Canada land border closure will be extended to at least January 21, 2021. So starting next month, any extensions to travel restrictions for either US or international travel beyond January 21, 2021 will now occur on the same date.

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
A 72 year old Canadian was hit (and run) on his bike on the four lane road that runs by our subdivision and died from his injuries this past weekend

Very sad and obviously devastating for his family. Making arrangements will likely be that much more complicated by the pandemic and the fact any family members returning with him will have to endure a 14-day quarantine before meeting up with anyone here at home. What city was this in?

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Very sad and obviously devastating for his family. Making arrangements will likely be that much more complicated by the pandemic and the fact any family members returning with him will have to endure a 14-day quarantine before meeting up with anyone here at home. What city was this in?
Estero Florida, south of fort Myers, then Bonita springs is south then Naples . I heard it happened very early in morning. The bike lane is small, cars go 60, speed limit 45.

BingoBangoBongo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Elara, Kings Land, Valdoro Mountain, the District
I found an article on the accident that said he had ridden over 12,000 miles, this year alone. That’s a lot of riding. Accidents like this are the reason I won’t ride on the road. There are too many distracted drivers and I’m fortunate to have a trail near me and this winter I’m making an effort to ride on a stationary bike we’ve got. It is great way to exercise and easier on the knees than running.

Last edited:

Tacoma

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Clearly a vey experienced cyclist. Likely driver error that ended up costing his life. Very sad.

Ironwood

TUG Member
Reaction score
Very sad to hear, as it could well have been me! Although, as just a recreational cyclist I haven't' put anywhere near the same clicks on my hybrid road bike! I rediscovered cycling about 10 years ago as my OA knees would no longer let me jog or hike any real distance. But, I stay away from roads without bike lanes and prefer dedicated bike paths. I have been clipped or brushed by a truck mirror and had drivers purposely cut very close. There is a disturbing road rage in some elements out there, and someone on a bike just can't jostle with a truck or car. Ride safe!

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
Very sad to hear, as it could well have been me! Although, as just a recreational cyclist I haven't' put anywhere near the same clicks on my hybrid road bike! I rediscovered cycling about 10 years ago as my OA knees would no longer let me jog or hike any real distance. But, I stay away from roads without bike lanes and prefer dedicated bike paths. I have been clipped or brushed by a truck mirror and had drivers purposely cut very close. There is a disturbing road rage in some elements out there, and someone on a bike just can't jostle with a truck or car. Ride safe!
Narrow bike lane

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
I was hoping that the border would open by mid May so we could ride our motorcycles to Alaska. We had to scrap two trips into or through Canada in 2020. The way its going we might get too bleeping old to go on our ride.

Its a bummer about the bike rider. Some people shouldn't be allowed to drive.

Bill

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I read that the snow birds may get their vaccines sooner in Florida than in Canada. It is just a discussion though.