• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Can you please share an easy dinner recipe?

3kids4me

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I need some really easy recipes for family dinners. I've looked at some of those sites that provide a week of dinner planning (recipes, grocery list, etc.) but invariably three out of the five recipes end up being for things my kids will not eat.

Can you all share something easy that you make that is a hit with your family? New dishes using chicken or beef would be great...I don't really need any pasta recipes as all my kids will eat is pasta with butter on it!

Thanks for any help!!

Sharon

nightnurse613

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Tater tot casserole. Ground beef, dried onions (opt) fried and drained. Add can of cream of mushroom soup. Pour on tater tots in baking pan. add shredded cheese, cover and bake 325 for an hour. Take foil off last ten minutes.

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Wow, that sounds yummy. Keep it coming.

Sharon, Thanks for asking. I'm always struggling with dinner ideas. Luckily, I live in an area where take-outs are abundant and cheap.

Jestjoan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Any of the Impossible Pies (now called Impossibly Easy) at www.Bettycrocker.com They even have star ratings.

MattC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Old Camping Recipe

One pot meal.
One package of hot dogs
Large can of pork & beans
Large onion.
Dice onion and hot dogs, brown in large frying pan, add pork & beans, cook till hot.

My wife likes it served open faced on bread.

MattC

ctreelmom

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Sharon--dug out yet? :)

If you have a crock pot, here's a recipe that's so easy it's embarassing, but my kids love it. Place chicken leg quarters (or bone-in breasts, if you prefer white meat) in crock pot. I leave the skin on, but you can take it off it you want. Pour in a bottle of creamy garlic salad dressing. Cook all day on low. Yup that's it! Somehow, the meat just comes out moist and tender, not greasy like I'd think.

Fitzriley

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Sunset Harbor, Wyndham
Last night I parboiled boneless pork ribs, about 10. I put them in the crockpot and covered with BBQ sauce, added some apple cider to thin it down a bit and left the pot in the fridge overnight. This am I put it in the cooker and turned it on low for 10 hours at 6:30 this AM. I don't get home till after dinner, so the sitter will add something (egg noodles or canned corn) on the side that my kids like and some good bread to sop up the sauce and they love it. I made it over Christmas break and it was fabulous, and enough for leftovers the second night.

Joan

Rose Pink

TUG Member
Reaction score
ctreelmom said:
If you have a crock pot, here's a recipe that's so easy it's embarassing, but my kids love it. Place chicken leg quarters (or bone-in breasts, if you prefer white meat) in crock pot. I leave the skin on, but you can take it off it you want. Pour in a bottle of creamy garlic salad dressing. Cook all day on low. Yup that's it! Somehow, the meat just comes out moist and tender, not greasy like I'd think.

This also works with BBQ sauce (any flavor). I've used boneless, skinless chicken or beef ribs. I don't use a crockpot. I just put it in the oven for 3 to 6 hours on about 300 degrees. Cover and add water as needed. Your house will smell scrumptious. Serve over brown rice or mashed potatoes. Add a salad and vegetable. Fruit for dessert.

www.sparkpeople.com has healthy recipes you can try.

Malibu Sky

Reaction score
It sounds strange.....Pineapple Spaghetti!!

We came up with this in college and my kids love it...it is the sweetness that they like. Just add a small can of crushed pineapple to a jar of prepared spaghetti sauce, I like Ragu Traditional, and some cooked hamburger meat...pour it on your favorite pasta and it is ready to go.

You can also bake it in a casserole, add some ricotta and mozzarella.

nell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Boneless Chicken breast tenders or sliced beef (sirloin, london broil, etc). Precooked spaghetti. Vegetables(carrots, broccoli, snow peas, water chestnuts)(I can buy them already prepackaged here). Cook meat in small amount of olive oil, add vegetables and cook til tender, add spaghetti and some soy sauce and mix. My kids love it.

Same principle with shrimp but with a garlic butter sauce.

Defrost package of frozen raw peeled shrimp. Saute shrimp and garlic in butter til shrimp are opaque, add vegetables (carrots, broccoli), add precooked pasta (any kind of pasta works well with this) and mix. Salt and pepper to taste.

With both of these recipes you can add some water or chicken broth while sauteing(?) to keep dish from burning.

Brown ground meat with onions and garlic, add spaghetti sauce (Ragu, etc), add peas, corn and carrots and precooked pasta and mix.

Brown ground meat with onions, garlic and bell pepper. Add cooked rice. Put in casserole dish. Bake at 350 degrees for about 30-45 minutes. Top with cheddar cheese. Return to oven til cheese melts.( about 3-5 minutes)

Last edited:

Emily

TUG Member
Reaction score
A couple of quick ideas -

Chicken or Beef Fajitas
Slice skinless, boneless chicken or beef thin - fry in a little oil. Season with taco seasoning. Serve with chunky diced onions, green peppers, tomatoes, shredded cheese, salsa, wraps - flavored or plain, sour cream.

Beef Taquitos - Available in the frozen food section
Place on baking sheet, cook until almost done, top with shredded cheese, melt. Serve with mexican rice and small shredded lettuce salad topped with salsa & sour cream.

Meatball Subs - 1oz meatballs from Sam's in Ragu Zesty Onion & Garlic
Served on sub rolls with provolone, Claussens pickles, Tater Tots (my guys love homemade baked mac & cheese - not fast)

catwgirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Cranberry Chicken

Don't know if your kids will eat this, but my Bunko Babes love it. And so easy.

Cranberry Chicken

Roll boneless, skinless chicken breasts in dry onion soup mix. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Mix one can cream of mushroom soup with one can of whole cranberries. Spoon over top of chicken and bake 15 or 20 minutes more. Looks funky, but oh so good!!! (Maybe you could call it Funky Chicken, the kids might go for that. LOL)

wackymother

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Haven't tried this, but found it in Family Fun (Feb 2006) and thought it looked pretty good.

Quick Corn Bread Deep-dish Pizza

Crust:
1 (8.5 oz) box Jiffy corn muffin mix
1 large egg
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup grated Parmesan

Topping

1 T. vegetable oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, chopped
1 (26 oz) jar of your favorite pasta sauce
1/2 t. dried oregano
1 pound sausage, cooked and crumbled or sliced
1/2 lb. Monterey Jack, shredded

1. Heat oven to 375. Grease a 9x13 baking dish. Prepare muffin mix using egg and milk (this is different from box directions). Add Parmesan, then spread batter evenly across bottom of pan.

2. Heat oil in a large skillet. Saute onion and garlic until translucent. Add pasta sauce, oregano, salt and pepper. Cook until sauce thickens, about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.

3. Arrange half of the cooked, room temperature sausage on the cornmeal batter. Pour sauce over the batter evenly, then layer on remaining sausage. Bake 15 minutes, then top with Monterey Jack and bake until the cheese is bubbling, about 10 minutes. Makes 6 servings.

For my kids, I would have to make all kinds of modifications that would make this boring...no sausage, more cheese, less tomato sauce...sigh. Almost not worth it. But it sounds pretty good, doesn't it?

CaliDave

TUG Member
Reaction score
How about
Taco Bell, Burger King and McDonalds .. 99 cent menus.. You can't beat that.

gmarine

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
CaliDave said:
How about
Taco Bell, Burger King and McDonalds .. 99 cent menus.. You can't beat that.

Quick and easy, yes, but not exactly the healthiest dinner for the kids. ;)

KCI

TUG Member
Reaction score
Creamy Baked Chicken

8 boneless, skinless chicken breasts or equivalent in chicken tenders
8 slices swiss (or your favorite) cheese (could use shredded cheese)
1 can cream of chicken soup
1/4 c dry white wine
1 cup seasoned stuffing mix, crushed (I use stove top)
1/4 c melted butter or margarine

Lightly grease oven proof shallow casserole, place chicken in dish in single layer, top with cheese, combine soup & wine (mix well), pour on chicken & cheese, spread stuffing mix on top, drizzle butter over all, bake at 350 for 45-55 minutes, serves 8. This is very good and leftovers reheat well.

Serve with vegetable and salad ....enjoy

CSB

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Chicken & Rice (made in the microwave)

1 cup rice
3 lb chicken (cut in pieces)
1 evelope of onion soap mix (I use Telma)
garlic powder
paprika
1 3/4 cup hot water (I use the tap water)

Place rice in the bottom of a micro-safe casserole dish. Place chicken pieces skin side down on top. Try to keep the larger pieces of chicken around the outside of the dish. Sprinkle the onion soup mix evenly over the chicken. Sprinkle evenly with the garlic and paprika. Pour the 1 3/4 cup water on top.

Microwave on high (700 watt microwave) for 12 minutes. Turn chicken pieces over and stir rice. Microwave on medium for 37 minutes. Let stand for 10 to 20 minutes and eat. This dish reheats very well. My family loves the rice mixed with a heated can of corn.

Present

Reaction score
Fast & Easy!

Chicken Chicken

1 can low fat cream of mushroom soup (I liquify in blender to get rid of the bits that kids don't like to see)
1 can chicken broth
1/2 package chinese noodles (the fried wide, flat kind)
left-over chicken or pre-cooked & sliced chicken

Combine in a large pyrex baking dish, bake at 350 until hot & bubbly, serve over rice. You can add a package of cut, frozen broccoli if you kids like it.

Mosca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Tacos/burritos.

Use the Ortega mix, it has no msg. Brown up the meat (beef, turkey, or chicken), add the mix, shred some cheese and chop some tomatoes & onions & lettuce. It takes about 15 minutes. We do the soft shells (warm in microwave) because they aren't as messy. Open a can of refrieds if you want, make a pot of rice if you want.

Simple, quick, easy.

Tom

Don

TUG Member
Reaction score
Shepard's Pie
Brown hamburger with chopped onion, cook mixed vegatables in microwave, and stir together. Make up some instant mashed potatoes. Put burger/vegatables in a baking dish, top with mashed Potatoes and bake until top starts to brown.

Mimi39

TUG Member
Reaction score
Curry Chicken

6 to 8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
1 16 oz. jar of mild salsa
1 tbs. dried onions
2 tbs. curry powder
1/2 cup of sour cream

Cook in slow cooker on low for about 7 hours, remove the chicken and mix the sour cream into the sauce, and serve the chicken and sauce over rice.

TravelSFO

TUG Member
Reaction score
Baked Salmon: you need salmon, herbs and lemon

1 fat filet of Fresh Salmon (Costco sells 'em in 2 packs)
Put it in a oven-safe glass baking dish so it lays flat. Sprinkle with herbs: oregano, parsley, thyme or similar. Slice a lemon up (lemon circles) and cover the top surface of the salmon. Cover the baking dish with foil and stick the whole thing in the oven at 350 degrees for 20-40 min (depending on the thickness of the salmon.)

You can serve this with steamed rice and broccoli -- healthy and easy!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
3kids4me said:
but invariably three out of the five recipes end up being for things my kids will not eat.

Can you all share something easy that you make that is a hit with your family? New dishes using chicken or beef would be great...I don't really need any pasta recipes as all my kids will eat is pasta with butter on it!
Sharon

Did you guys get the part about her kids being picky eaters? :confused:

Not too many picky eaters will eat onions, salmon, curry, etc., and she said that they won't eat any kind of sauce on pasta. :D