• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Can you please share an easy dinner recipe?

wackymother

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
LOL! One of the few things MY picky eaters will all eat is salmon. (I broil it.) One picky eater eats sauteed onions, straight. Two will eat curry. But they won't eat tater tots or BBQ sauce, and only one eats salad dressing in any form, and she really only likes blue cheese.

I gather other people's picky eaters are picky in more traditional ways!

jmatias

TUG Member
Reaction score
Teriyaki Salmon

My family love this recipe and its great for potlucks:

1 large salmon fillet ( we get it at Costco)
Yoshida's gourmet sauce (teriyaki style sauce, Costco)

Place salmon in large baking dish and cover with Yoshida sauce...best if you can soak the salmon for 1 hour

Cook in oven till done. Usually we cook at 350 for about 15-20 minutes.

We also cover the salmon fillet before cooking with Nori flakes ( seaweed mix)

Serve it with wasabi/mayo sauce ( just mix wasabi with mayo to taste)

Always a hit at our house.

debraxh

TUG Member
Reaction score
My picky eater has always loved this grown up version of chicken tenders.

4 boneless chicken breasts, cut into about 4 strips each
1-2T melted butter or margarine

mix together:
1/2C grated parmesan cheese
1/4C bread crumbs (I use Progresso)
1t oregano
1t parsley
1/4t pepper
1/4t salt
1/4t paprika

Dip chicken in butter, dredge in parmesan mixture and place in baking dish sprayed with Pam. Cook at 400 for 30-40 min.

I usually serve with rice pilaf mix (Near East brand, also a picky eater favorite) and veggies.

Avery

TUG Member
Reaction score
wackymother said:
LOL! One of the few things MY picky eaters will all eat is salmon. (I broil it.) One picky eater eats sauteed onions, straight. Two will eat curry. But they won't eat tater tots or BBQ sauce, and only one eats salad dressing in any form, and she really only likes blue cheese.

I gather other people's picky eaters are picky in more traditional ways!

this could be a whole new thread. My pickiest eater loves spicy bbq wings but won't eat tomatoes or any vegetable other than baby carrots, raw. He won't eats eggs unless they are scrambled with maple syrup on them (though better in between two waffles for a waffle/egg sandwich...) The other one loves almost all sushi, but won't eat anything with sauce or dressing (yep, hold the mayo at BK)...

But Taco Night has been a big success since I added it recently, everyone likes it (even though spicy meat boy puts only the meat in his shell...)

Present

Reaction score
DeniseM said:
Did you guys get the part about her kids being picky eaters? :confused:

Not too many picky eaters will eat onions, salmon, curry, etc., and she said that they won't eat any kind of sauce on pasta. :D

That's what I was thinking! My kids and my husband are really, really picky. And I mean really picky! My 22 year old just started to eat spagetti sauce like last year! My younger one still eats his pasta with just butter and the meatballs on the side. He never used to let me cook them in the sauce, they had to be sauce-free but now he will let me put them in sauce to heat them as long as he doesn't get any extra sauce! :D

Kelsie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Picky Eaters

Sharon, I self published an Italian cookbook this past summer, this recipe is a favorite.

Baked Herb Salmon

1 small onion diced
4 garlic cloves diced
1 sm. celery stalk minced
2 tbs olive oil
8 fresh sage leaves
leaves from 1 rosemary sprig (snipped to release flavor)
1 shallot diced
1/2 tsp Greek seasoning
2 tbs olive oil
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
3/4 cup dry white wine
8 salmon fillets
salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 425 degrees

Cover a frying pan with 1 tsp of olive oil. Add onion, garlic, celery, shallot and stir for 1 minute. (For picky eaters you can substitute 1/2 tsp of onion powder and 1/2 tsp garlic powder and omit the above step, simply sprinkle onto the salmon). Put the salmon on top of the onion, garlic, celery, shallot mixture skin side down, rub with the rest of the oil. Season the salmon with salt, pepper and Greek seasoning. Add rosemary and sage over the salmon, add wine and roast covered for 20 to 25 minutes until cooked thru and glazed. :)

Serves 4

Rose Pink

TUG Member
Reaction score
Re picky eaters: I married one. DH won't eat onions and he won't eat tomatoes. But if you dice the onions and tomatoes up, mix them together and call it salsa he loves it. Go figure.

TravelSFO

TUG Member
Reaction score
Rose Pink said:
Re picky eaters: I married one. DH won't eat onions and he won't eat tomatoes. But if you dice the onions and tomatoes up, mix them together and call it salsa he loves it. Go figure.

That is me! Hate onion but it is just fine in salsa ;-)

ilisao

Reaction score
Lemon Honey Chicken

1 whole roasting chicken, rinsed
1 Lemon
1/2 cup orange juice
1/2 cup honey

1. Pierce lemon with fork. Place in chicken cavity. Place chicken in slow cooker.
2. Combine oj and honey. Pour over chicken.
3. Cover. Cook on low 8 hours. Remove lemon and squeeze over chicken.
4. Carve chicken and serve.

After 8 hours, the chicken comes right off the bone. Practically melts off.

jlr10

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't know if you kids will like it, but these were my favorite as a kid:

Rice Krispie Chicken
dip chicken pieces in melted butter
Roll in crushed Rice Krispies
Place on pan and bake at 350 until chicken is done (time will depend on if the chicken has bones or is boneless, about 45 minutes for boneless.) -I have never found a kid who didn't like this one-Even my picky eater, who doesn't like chicken, will eat this one.

Easy Pot Roast
place sirloin tip roast in crock pot
Add 1/2 cup water
Pour one can cream of celery soup over top of roast
Pour one package of dry onion soup over celery soup
Cook all day
This will produce tender beef and yummy gravy

Corn, Beans & 'Taters
4-5 large potatoles peeled cut in medium pieces
2 small boxes frozen whol kernal corn
2 small boxes frozen green beans
1 medium onion choppe
Season to taste

Please all in large covered roaster or dutch oven. Bake at 375 degrees. Stir occasionally until potatoes stick tender.
Add 1/2 lb bacon cut into small bites
Bake 45 minutes more

Don

TUG Member
Reaction score
For all you salmon lovers

Here's a copy of the salmon marinade I made up.

Don’s Salmon Marinade

½ C. fat free Italian salad dressing
4 tbsp. soy sauce
4 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp. onion powder
1 tbsp. garlic powder
1/4 C. dark brown sugar

Optional ingredients can be:
1 ½ tsp. Ground ginger
2 tsp red pepper flakes
( I personally don’t use them.)

Mix ingredients thoroughly, pour into a zipper seal bag with salmon and let stand for several hours in the refrigerator. Grill salmon on low heat
until fish flakes with a fork. Turning over about half way through cooking.

CMF

TUG Member
Reaction score
Kielbasa & Onions

Brown chunks of kielbasa with some onions and serve with hot saurkraut and boiled baby potatos. It's better with pierogies and sour cream, but you said you wanted away from pasta dishes. Cooked pierogies browned in butter are truly delicious.

I was a chef for 14 years and I must confess that reading some of suggestions made me wince. They are probably very tasty - but I've become sort of a food snob over the years. It must be true confessions time :eek:

Charles

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Charles,
what do you do now that you aren't cheffing? I worked in a family restaurant for about 8 years. I still miss that type of work, but not the hours.

jlr10

TUG Member
Reaction score
CMF said:
I was a chef for 14 years and I must confess that reading some of suggestions made me wince. They are probably very tasty - but I've become sort of a food snob over the years. It must be true confessions time :eek:

Charles

We didn't say these were great dishes, just ones that met the qualifications-Easy and kid friendly.

As for good food, the best thing I make is: reservations. ;)

CMF

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know, I know

jlr10 said:
We didn't say these were great dishes, just ones that met the qualifications-Easy and kid friendly.

As for good food, the best thing I make is: reservations. ;)

We don't exactly eat gourmet at my place either. I used to fancy up dinners but we are now lucky to get hot food :(

Charles

rudymcbill

TUG Member
Reaction score
Taco soup

My girls like Taco soup, and it's very quick to make:

1# hamburger browned
1 can each-
corn
black beans
kidney beans
28 oz can crushed tomatoes
1 pkg taco seasoning
1 pkg ranch dressing

cook in crock pot on low 4-6 hrs or on stove until heated through.

They also like another version of cranberry chicken
mix together 1 small bottle creamy italian dressing, 1 can whole cranberries, 1/2 envelope onion soup. Pour over chicken and bake in oven, or crock pot.

sxmscorpio

Reaction score
Parmesan crusted chicken

1 skinless chicken breast per person, flattened a little with a mallet
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
4 tsp italian seasoned dry breadcrumbs

Combine mayonnaise and cheese, spread on chicken and then sprinkle with bread crumbs. Baket at 425 for 25 minutes. Serve with potatoes of any kind and gravy.

This is really delicious and easy.

Janis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
This takes almost 6 minutes to make. Don't worry about the curry powder- my kids don't even notice it's in there - but it gives it a great underlying flavor

Lenka's Chicken Diablo (and I have no idea who Lenka is)

4 T. Butter
1/2 c. honey
1/4 c. Gulden's mustard
1 t. salt
1 t. curry powder
1 1/2-2 lbs. boneless chicken thighs

Melt the butter, then stir in remaining ingredients.

Roll the chicken in the sauce and pour it all into a shallow baking dish Bake at 350 until richly glazed. Serve over rice. Serves 4

mikey0531

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a very picky eater too -- a 14 year old and I'm kind of picky too -- but we both love Shephards Pie -- and you got a recipe for that -- and another thing that's easy and good and both my kids like it and I do too -- just buy a bag of frozen meatballs, a large jar of brown gravy, about 3/4 cup of sour cream. Cook the frozen meatballs in the microwave, warm up the beef gravy and then add the sour cream -- stir it all together until it's all hot, add meatballs and then serve over egg noodles. I think there's a spice missing but I can't think of what it is -- I think I got the recipe off the bag of meatballs though. Another thing that I just made that's easy is just beef and mushroom soup. I just bought top round beef that was on sale -- a couple of large pieces. I put some salt/pepper with flour, dipped the meat in the flour on both sides -- browned it on both sides and then put it in a baking pan and poured a large tin of mushroom soup on top of it -- baked it on low heat (225) for about three-four hours. It's so tender. And, then I served it over white rice. My picky son had to have the mushrooms strained out of the mushroom soup/gravy though before he would eat it!

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
Grater Tater

1 package frozen Ore Ida Southern Style Hash Browns (thawed)
16 oz sour cream
1/2 medium onion, chopped
1 can Cream of Potato soup
1 can Cream of Mushroom soup
1 package sharp cheddar cheese, grated (save some for the top)
1 package boiled luncheon meat ham, cut into small bites
1 jar mushroom slices (drained)

Mix together, place in greased baking dish, bake at 350 degrees until bubbly all over.

3kids4me

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
A belated thanks to all of you for the recipes!

We're trying cheeseburger pie tonight (one of the Betty Crocker recipes from the website). We did tacos last night which was a big hit.

I've never had luck getting my kids to eat anything made in the crockpot (no one likes barbecue sauce and all of them are a little wary of sauces in general). Even when I do a roast, they just pick at it a bit.

Tomorrow I'm trying Janis' chicken recipe. (The "six minutes to make" was very enticing!) One of my children has never touched anything I make with chicken...not even Shake n' Bake...so I didn't want to invest a lot of time with the chicken...lol!

I think that trying out salmon on them may be a little too ambitious; my son and I are the only ones that eat it.

Thanks again...I'll report in!

Sharon

Last edited:

KDD

TUG Member
Reaction score
microwave chicken parmesan

I bet you all know this one ( I think it came with the microwave!)
Its easy and we all (kids included) like it.

About a chicken's worth of chicken parts (we usually skin them).
Any plastic bag.
1 1/2 cup full of smashed cornflakes (or rice crispies, or special K)
1/2 cup of paremesan cheese.
Optional: salt pepper oregano garlic- whatever you think the kids can take.

Drop chicken parts, shake and place coated pieces single layer onto large round microwavable pan leaving the center inch open space for even cooking.

Cover loosely with wax paper or similar and cook fullpower 15 minutes.
Turn pieces over, remover cover, and cook full power for another 15 minutes.

This chicken is very moist and flavorable. It goes well with rice or pasta (hot or cold) tossed with olive oil, garlic and parmesan cheese. Or just a green salad.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Our favorite meal

This is an easy meal that your kids will love:

3-4 pound beef roast (we use sirlion tip)
Rub with one packet of Lipton Dry Onion Soup Mix
Add a can of cream of mushroom soup

Wrap the ingredients in foil tightly, so the soup won't leak out.

Bake at 300 degrees for 4-5 hours.

Serve over mashed potatoes. We thicken the gravy a little with brown gravy mix that we buy in a jar at Costco.

Delicious. :) The meat is very lean and moist. Our kids always loved this meal and still come over when we are cooking a roast.

RumpleMom

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here's our favorite: Spray crockpot with Pam, add thawed boneless chicken breasts, 1/4 cup of water and 1/2 jar of salsa. Cook on low all day. Serve with rice or noodles.