• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Cal State to cancel most in-person classes, move to virtual learning for Fall 2020

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hopefully they drop their fees as well. Not something I would think freshmen would be interested in and even graduating seniors.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I wonder how many incoming Freshmen may decide to defer admission and take a gap year.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
UGH. My daughter and I (high school class of '21) met w/a college financial planner on Sat. Had some very hard, realistic conversations. College admissions for next year are completely uncharted territory.

She told me that if college is not back to the "Old way" fall '21 she will take a gap year. She's not willing to go to college in an virtual only environment.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
UGH. My daughter and I (high school class of '21) met w/a college financial planner on Sat. Had some very hard, realistic conversations. College admissions for next year are completely uncharted territory.

She told me that if college is not back to the "Old way" fall '21 she will take a gap year. She's not willing to go to college in an virtual only environment.
I don't blame her. I always felt the college experience was far more than just the classes. My own dd said online isn't satisfactory because a lot of professors just aren't good at teaching that way. That said my dh got his Master's online.

cman

TUG Member
Reaction score
My son's school is exploring, continuing some in-person classes, but providing students the option to attend virtually. They are also thinking of closing the dormitories and dining hall for the fall semester. They're struggling with how to handle the classes that require a lab.

Chrispee

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Although I agree that taking a gap year will be the route many choose, it's also a great opportunity year to get into a school that you might not have otherwise made the cut for.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
I am not saying Cal State is right or wrong here, but to make this call now makes me wonder what they are seeing as sufficient enough to justify this decision now.

I know we have to keep in mind the size and location of the Cal State system but if this is a precursor of thongs to come, oh wow..

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
If I were a student trying to decide on whether to continue college or take a gap year, I would probably choose to continue college. Otherwise, the virus wins and the student loses another year of their life. Given that it will be hard to get a job in the next year, continuing college would make the most sense to me. Otherwise, what are all these students going to do with their gap year? Stay home doing nothing and wait for the virus to go away? I have a bachelor’s degree and two master’s degrees (one from an Ivy League university). While I was lucky with getting the on campus experience, I would probably choose online education over postponing my life for a year. I know online college is not ideal but neither is doing nothing for a year. Usually a gap year involves work, volunteering or traveling. Those are not available right now. We are all making sacrifices. No one is living the life they planned right now. It is a sad time for everyone and we need to get through it the best we can.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I am not saying Cal State is right or wrong here, but to make this call now makes me wonder what they are seeing as sufficient enough to justify this decision now.

I know we have to keep in mind the size and location of the Cal State system but if this is a precursor of thongs to come, oh wow..

That is my fear too with their announcement. Many universities will probably follow their lead. Oh wow is right!

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score

Maybe they are reacting to Dr. Fauci's testimony today:

Chrispee

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
A few Canadian universities made the announcement today of starting classes online in September. The fact is most lower level university classes are mass gatherings of 100+ people in a confined space.

Monykalyn

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't blame her. I always felt the college experience was far more than just the classes. My own dd said online isn't satisfactory because a lot of professors just aren't good at teaching that way. That said my dh got his Master's online.
Yeah I thing being thrown into online teaching suddenly was alot harder and many teachers aren't used to online nor set up for it. The university's that are primarily built from the start to offer online are leaps and bounds better. I have several friends that have completed advanced degrees online.
Maybe they are reacting to Dr. Fauci's testimony today:

It is his job to be cautious and only think about public health. He is not a school administrator or economist etc. If he had his way we'd be in hermetically sealed bubbles for 2-3 years with necessities to sustain life magically produced and beamed in. Not saying that to put him down or anything! Just pointing out he has ONE perspective because it is his job. Just like a business owner who is watching his livelihood go down in flames and hearing his employees going broke and losing their homes etc-that persons perspective is going to be way way different than a public health administrator. There is a middle ground of mitigated risk-we just need to find it.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
I'd agree with concern over a gap year with nothing to do. I'd advocate a modified "forward motion plan" with online college (it can be anywhere in the US) or a community college. Many colleges allow one to take classes without being admitted if they are not seeking a degree there. I'd look for classes that have been designed for online students (look at past schedules from 2019, 2018, pre-Covid 19) that are likely to be better than on the fly converted to online ones.
I'll venture that colleges the following year will be very lenient on transfer credits due to Covid 19. I'd probably talk with my chosen freshman college 1st and ask if I can pay my deposit, defer admission until the following year, with the agreement that I can transfer X credits from online U or CC. I'd bet a number of colleges might agree to that deal. (for ex, in VA, JMU allows up to 9 credits for gap year deferral, GMU doesn't allow any--but I think that might be negotiated now).
If DD's current $$$ college is online for fall, I'm going to try to negotiate taking 9 credits (Jr level classes not offered at CC) there and 1 class at CC. Paying for 9 is not full time and cuts tuition by thousands of dollars. They can't close her dorms and have in person as it's in a small town and 75% live in dorms. DS's college tuition is about 2.5X that of CC, so I'd be OK for him to do online at state U.

Last edited:

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
our college has a task force and has been weighing options for the past month. they said they'd announce by early June. It could be that Facui's assessment pushed them over to online. IMHO, no one knows what'll happen until we actually open back up. No VA just pushed back opening by 2 weeks due to increasing numbers of C19.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Fall sports look to be cancelled for Cal State schools.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
And, as a public service reminder, consider serving in a military.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I am curious how the military is dealing with Covid. What guidelines are they following to deal with Covid in the military?

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I am curious how the military is dealing with Covid. What guidelines are they following to deal with Covid in the military?
I do know the Army is using quarantine periods prior to and after deployments and the Coast Guard is requiring their personnel to wear masks while on duty. I am sure there are more things they're doing I am not aware of but I do know these things are being done.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I just discussed this with my daughter
..especially if there is an area she wants to pursue that the military can offer.