• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Cabin Fever

JohnPaul

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
WOW. We just got home to Sacramento yesterday after 2 1/2 months and 7500 miles and a great 40th anniversary celebration on February 29.

Much of our travel is just hanging out in great locations so it's not always a ton of activity. However, I'm already experiencing cabin fever.

Our governor just stated (and I think it's mandatory - looking for details) that everyone 65 and over must stay in their homes.

I've been doing well on my diet (lost 35 pounds) but comfort eating is sounding pretty good.

How is everyone coping with cabin fever?

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
No cabin fever yet as we are still golfing and making quick run to the grocery stores. Our club is having a meeting to decide if golf will remain open. If golf is shutdown, then we will do alot of telly watching. I promised my husband that I will make one more Costco run on Tuesday and then not again for a long time. We are looking at trying out Instacart.

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
The walls are closing in a little here. I DO walk the dog and visit with neighbors (from a distance) The yard is beckoning. The WORST part is the non-stop gloom and doom of the news cycle! Streaming movies and music is your friend! This is kinda fun:
VIRTUAL FIELD TRIPS: (with links)

Enjoy! Updated every 5 minutes!

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Back to work tomorrow for me and Tuesday and Wednesday I’ll be on the Big Island. Unless something changes, same old, same old for me.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Back to work tomorrow for me and Tuesday and Wednesday I’ll be on the Big Island. Unless something changes, same old, same old for me.
You may be somewhat isolated from the economic tsunami that's either affecting or soon-to-be affecting the restaurant business on the mainland. Dozens to hundreds of restaurants are either switching to carry-out or delivery in order to survive. This will have to have consequences to your company.

Jim

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
You may be somewhat isolated from the economic tsunami that's either affecting or soon-to-be affecting the restaurant business on the mainland. Dozens to hundreds of restaurants are either switching to carry-out or delivery in order to survive. This will have to have consequences to your company.

Jim

No, we are not isolated from that at all. My company is working around the clock on the virus issue, just like other companies. While I have had some changes and even added duties because of this, my regular job still goes on. But, of course, this can change.

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Give me something good to read, my favorite TV shows, the treadmill, and the internet, and I can cocoon indefinitely. But my DH, who has only been retired about a year and a half, is having a hard time with it. On a normal pre-Coronavirus day, he would make a run to the grocery store, hardware store, Wal-Mart, pharmacy, post office, or credit union, whether we actually needed anything or not, just because he had cabin fever. He's going to have to adjust.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Give me something good to read, my favorite TV shows, the treadmill, and the internet, and I can cocoon indefinitely. But my DH, who has only been retired about a year and a half, is having a hard time with it. On a normal pre-Coronavirus day, he would make a run to the grocery store, hardware store, Wal-Mart, pharmacy, post office, or credit union, whether we actually needed anything or not, just because he had cabin fever. He's going to have to adjust.

Books for me too. I finished three during our week on Kauai and did the same during our week on Molokai over Thanksgiving. The lanai and a book or the beach and a book and even by the pool with a book.

geekette

Reaction score
Since I will never ever be done with chores and fun projects here, I'm good. I'm a loner by nature so this is not culture shock for me. Plus, I have lots of wildlife here to watch and enjoy. If it manages to become spring, I'd love to be planting stuff.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I can hunker in for long periods of time. In fact, I am really an introvert and so is my husband. But enough is enough and we need at least a little social interaction and have had pretty much none for like a year as it is. We have been getting things done in our new house but it is new and it is small and we have limited $, so we can and need to only do so much here. I had a list of events I wanted to attend and a few groups to join and so did hubby and now we can't so we are kind of depressed.

So much for retirement.......

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Our governor just stated (and I think it's mandatory - looking for details) that everyone 65 and over must stay in their homes.
Wow. Are they going to be checking ID?
My two jobs have closed for two weeks, and I am not allowed to visit my husband in assisted living (no timeframe given) so I am at loose ends. Yesterday I cleaned my house as much as I am going to. I can still organize drawers, etc. Need to write a skit for a local organization that I have been stalling on. Brought home books and movies from the library. With nice weather coming, I will resume walking and biking. I am half and half social and loner, so this will be interesting.
What is surprising is that I have an appointment this afternoon to donate blood, and the Rapid Pass page just appeared in my email, so that's still on.

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am such a home body when not traveling that I thought I would be happy. I will say though that the difference between choosing to staying home and having to is a little different. We started with the social distancing on Monday of last week so have been at it for a week. I have been doing a bit of day trading in the stock market to keep my mind working. That helps but unfortunately you need to keep up on the news 24/7. I think the news flow that has made me realize that the 2 weeks I was figuring is now looking like months and that has brought on a bit of cabin fever or just anxiety that this will be no fun at some point.

Good Luck all
and
STAY SAFE

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I am such a home body when not traveling that I thought I would be happy. I will say though that the difference between choosing to staying home and having to is a little different. We started with the social distancing on Monday of last week so have been at it for a week. I have been doing a bit of day trading in the stock market to keep my mind working. That helps but unfortunately you need to keep up on the news 24/7. I think the news flow that has made me realize that the 2 weeks I was figuring is now looking like months and that has brought on a bit of cabin fever or just anxiety that this will be no fun at some point.

Good Luck all
and
STAY SAFE

Right. Yes. I have had the flu the past two weeks- it is finally dissipating. So I already have been inside for the most part all that time. So now what? 2 more weeks? Then 2 more weeks after that?

What happens when we are finally let out to play? There is no cure for this virus, so does that mean us 60+ people will still catch it anyway and possibly die? Should we be getting pneumonia shots? I heard that people with this virus get pneumonia and then die.

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
I work at a Distribution Center for large retail pharmacy chain. Business is slammed, our shipping volume has gone up 50%. All the schools are closed so parents have to deal with that and that makes our workforce even more short handed. Definitely gonna be busy for a while. When everything settles down our volume will tank and we will be lucky to get our normal work hours.

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Ocean Blvd, Fairfield Glade
In my house, it’s me that can cocoon indefinitely but my wife is a social butterfly who has to go do something somewhere almost every day. She just very reluctantly cancelled 2 meetings and a doctors appointment she had scheduled for today and tomorrow. She usually goes to lunch with friends 3 days a week. I think I’m going to try to get her out in the yard to see if that will help. There’s some work we need to do out there, weather permitting. Wish me luck. She is a very stubborn lady with a mind of her own and is used to doing what she wants. I’m probably in store for a few tough conversations over the next few days. Our county just announced it’s first 2 covid-19 cases this morning and the county to our north has 12 so I think that got her attention. They only started testing in the state Friday.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I can hunker in for long periods of time. In fact, I am really an introvert and so is my husband. But enough is enough and we need at least a little social interaction and have had pretty much none for like a year as it is. We have been getting things done in our new house but it is new and it is small and we have limited $, so we can and need to only do so much here. I had a list of events I wanted to attend and a few groups to join and so did hubby and now we can't so we are kind of depressed.

So much for retirement.......
Being depressed is normal, many of us will be. In time, this too will pass. At least you are in your new home and not the rental.

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I haven't done the hunker down thing, yet. VP Pence did say new recommendations would come out today, which I assume will be shutting stuff down and/or making us stay in our own communities. I am part of a nice spiritual community and we often text/email each other. I'm sure we'll get on Zoom or some other online platform to still see each other and still hold our book clubs, etc.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
It would help matters immensely if the weather here would cooperate...we appear to be in the middle of a loooooooonnnnnnnggggg stretch of rainy days.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you haven't done so yet, now is a good time to experiment with online video chat as a way to stay in touch with friends/family. I have a Men's Group that meets monthly at a restaurant; we are going to try to do that virtually this week.

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
It would help matters immensely if the weather here would cooperate...we appear to be in the middle of a loooooooonnnnnnnggggg stretch of rainy days.
We've been having a lot of rainy days in southern California, too. It's definitely bringing people down even more.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
We've been having a lot of rainy days in southern California, too. It's definitely bringing people down even more.
But.....but....it never rains in California!

IngridN

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts: Aruba Surf Club, Grand Chateau, Shadow Ridge

No, it is not mandatory at this time. DH and I had already decided to do a modified self-isolation as we're both in the high risk group with underlying medical issues, mine being asthma.

I stocked up on non-perishables and will be making weekly grocery runs for produce, dairy and meat. Will have it delivered if things get a lot worse. Also pick up our mail weekly. Long walks in the hood and will be re-arranging one of our unused bedrooms into an exercise studio. We had already stopped going to the gym a few weeks ago. My to do list is so long, it won't be boring around here!

Ingrid

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I am now considering one of those freezer food service companies. years ago I had Colorado Prime which was expensive but very helpful living in an isolated area and being a new mom.

I am looking into Schwans.